Are local group policies applied to metro style apps too?

Question

• I enabled the policy located in “Computer Configuration/Administrative Templates/Network/ SSL Configuration Settings/ SSL Cipher Suite Order” in order to force ssl/tls communications to use an encryption key that is not shorter than 256 bit.
    In  the IE 10 desktop app it is easy to check that the policy has been succesfully applied, it is enough to right click inside the page in order to view the page properties that show the cipher suite used and the relative key length.
    I wasn’t able to show the page properties inside the IE 10 metro-style app. Is there a way to view the page properties of a web page using IE 10 metro-style app in order to check the ssl/tls cipher suite used and the relative key length and , if not, how can I be sure that the above policy has been applied to metro-style ie 10 app too?
    More generally, are local group policies applied to metro-style apps too?
    Thanks
    Best regards
    Tuesday, March 20, 2012 8:22 PM

All replies

• We have found similar behaviors. Proxy settings for IE does not apply in Metro Style IE. Our developers investigating and hope it can be resolved  soon.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”

Tuesday, March 27, 2012 6:38 AM
  • Thanks for the answer.

In my first post I didn't say that the SSL policy was not applied to IE 10 metro-style.

Before I can say that the SSL policy is not applied to IE 10 metro-style app I need a way to check the cipher and the relative key lenght used by IE 10 metro-style app when I open a web page using the https protocol.

I hope first to find a way to check that and only after I could be able to say that the policy does not apply to IE 10 metro-style app. I hope that this won't be the case.

So I still need to know how to check the ssl/tls properties of the ie 10 metro-style app pages and if, in general, the local group policies are applied to desktop apps and to metro-style apps too.

Wednesday, March 28, 2012 9:36 PM