none
Windows 7 RTM + ESET Nod32 = Same old memory consumption problem while downloading!

General discussion

• Hi everybody,

Back in June, I had asked a question here about increasing memory consumption, aka physical memory in use reaching over 95% in a matter of hours, while downloading many large files at broadband speeds on Windows 7 RC. You can find the original thread here:
    http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itpronetworking/thread/75dbaede-4185-4334-9820-30bf6bd29944

As you'd see in the original thread, I found out that the problem was caused by ESET Nod32 4, which wasn't among the AV software supported by Win7 at the time. However, it now is, and the problem still hasn't been solved. I had been using AVG's free version for a while now, after I found out Nod32 was to blame with my problem and I extended my license for Nod32 when I saw that it made it to the list and installed it on my fresh installation of Windows 7 RTM.

Am I the only one having these problems with Nod32 on a 64-bit Windows 7 RTM system?

To test the problem, just install Nod32 and ANY download manager software (Getright, FlashGet, jDownloader etc.) on a Windows 7 RTM system download 10-20 GBs of data, downloading multiple files at a time. You must see that your physical memory consumption is increasing steadily (leave it be for a few hours and come back to observe the consumption)...

I do like AVG's free version, but I already have a paid copy of ESET Nod32 and I'm very used to working with it, so I'd love to see your results...

Thanks,
    Burak
    Friday, September 18, 2009 8:56 AM

All replies

• are you trying eset v4?  v3 had issues.. but i have been running v4 with 0 problems.  I run win7 x64 with 8GB memory
    Friday, September 18, 2009 8:04 PM
  • Hi,

Yes, I am trying v4. I have downloaded the latest version (4.0.437) for x64 systems. Have you tried to recreate the problem by downloading a lot of files using a download manager? Without downloading the system runs just fine, the only way to trigger the problem is as I have explained in the first post...
    Monday, September 21, 2009 2:03 PM
  • Nod still not fixed this problem they really need to fix that (this problem is norm with p2p downloading but can happen with download managers due to the Split download on 1 file to speed up the file NOD seems to scan every time an write happens)

The fix is to add the download folder in NOD to the exclusion list (real time) and tell the download manager to scan the file when it compleats  most have an option that you can tick to make it start an scan from the download manager
    Wednesday, September 23, 2009 11:17 AM
  • i just downloaded a 300GB site... does that count?
    Thursday, October 01, 2009 8:23 PM
  • i just downloaded a 300GB site... does that count?
    Yes, that definitely counts! No problems whatsoever after downloading 300GBs of data? What percentage of the physical memory was in use after the download (it would have reached over %90 with 150GBs of data with my system).

Anyway, I'm starting to believe the issue might be related to my hardware then...
    Friday, October 02, 2009 10:24 PM
  • dont remember... but i was able to game while it set in the background downloading.

just to rule out the antivirus issue... i just uninstalled nod32 and installed microsoft security essentials.  I will admit i was a little trepid about using it, but it works amazingly well... Very light.. in fact lighter than nod32 if you can believe it.

You could try that and see if your problems go away.  If they do, either keep MSE or completely reinstall nod32.... something may have gotten hosed.  Also, go to the eset website and it will give you tips on how to set nod32 up for gaming systems.  Worth the read.

If you still have problems... then i would say either a driver or hardware is flaking out.
    Tuesday, October 06, 2009 6:48 PM
  • dont remember... but i was able to game while it set in the background downloading.

just to rule out the antivirus issue... i just uninstalled nod32 and installed microsoft security essentials.  I will admit i was a little trepid about using it, but it works amazingly well... Very light.. in fact lighter than nod32 if you can believe it.

You could try that and see if your problems go away.  If they do, either keep MSE or completely reinstall nod32.... something may have gotten hosed.  Also, go to the eset website and it will give you tips on how to set nod32 up for gaming systems.  Worth the read.

If you still have problems... then i would say either a driver or hardware is flaking out.
    I still can't be sure why it's happening to my system. I have 3GBs of RAM and I was able to do whatever I'd like right until physical memory in use reached around %95.

By the way I'm already using AVG Free and I'm having no problems at all. I also tried Kaspersky's latest AV (the one that's compatible with W7) before switching to AVG Free, and Kaspersky didn't have this problem either. The problem seems exclusive to Nod32 :)

I'm planning to try out MS Security Essentials, but I probably won't do so until I install W7 to my laptop (which will put another copy of Nod32 out of work).

Anyway thanks for your help...
    Tuesday, October 06, 2009 7:45 PM
  • Bluerock_sep, I'm having exactly the same problem! core2duo with 3GB of memory. Well, at first I only had 2GB, but theorizing that this was just windows' huge appetite for memory, i bought another 1GB stick. Needless to say, it did not fix it. I was going crazy trying to figure out what was going on...until a few days ago when I googled it...with the right words, I guess (I mean, I've tried googling it before, but to no results). One of the sites it found was your previous thread http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itpronetworking/thread/75dbaede-4185-4334-9820-30bf6bd29944 Having read it, I didn't want to believe! I've been using NOD32 for many-many years already, and didn't feel like making a switch to something new/different. But, tonight I finally decided to put NOD32 to the test and find out if it is indeed the culprit... On one hand, I'm glad I finally resolved this issue, but on the other...I'm gonna have to start looking for another antivirus :-(

I've been downloading all my files through Firefox, and for a while, I was blaming it and calling it names :-) Who would've thought that it was NOD32 all along?!?

Thank you very much, your thread really helped me a lot!

By the way, how did you come up with the idea to uninstall NOD32 and see what happens? Were you just trying everything in alphabetical order, and eventually came to your conclusion, or you had your suspicions about NOD32 before you decided to uninstall it?
    Friday, October 23, 2009 3:39 AM
  • Hi pepshtein,

I'm sorry you've experienced the same problem, but I also feel kinda relieved I wasn't the only one. I've contacted ESET software to report the problem, all they could say was that I should contact my local ESET office, who would surely be less knowledgeable than the developers in ESET headquarters, so I didn't even bother. I switched to the free version of AVG, which provides more than adequate protection IMHO. Also I started using Microsoft's own Security Essentials software, which is also free of charge, on another system. MS Security Essentials also seems to be quite good, and easy on system resources too.

How I found out it was NOD32 all along? In the very first thread I had opened regarding this issue, Chris, a Microsoft Support Engineer suggested I uninstalled the AV software I was using if it weren't in the list of AV software supported by Windows 7. And by the time NOD32 wasn't on the list. At first I disabled NOD32, but that didn't solve the problem. After a few days, remembering that disabling AV software sometimes just doesn't do the the trick I decided to uninstall it, a bold move for me as well as I had used NOD32 for many, many years prior to W7, with no problems at all. That obviously did the trick...

It's interesting though, that NOD32 caused no problems at all with W7 beta, I've first seen this particular problem with W7 RC...

Anyway, I'm really glad my post helped you get rid of the problem. It's ESET software who should come up with a real solution, or a patch of some kind, or an updated version of their software, but they seem to have plucked their ears to this problem, at least that's what I've seen when I reported the issue to them...
    Monday, October 26, 2009 3:36 PM
  • Hi Bluerock_sep,

I too switched to Microsoft Security Essentials! It may not be as sofisticated as NOD32, but my RAM usage now rarely reaches above 1GB no matter how much I download (no more required reboots or screens of death!!!); and I'll take that over sofistication any day! ;)

As for ESET headquarters...you know, I think this is what happens to some companies once they become big: the prospect of high profits on the horizon obscures the sight of something that's more important - customer satisfaction!

p.s. If they ever fix this issue, would I go back? Probably... :-)
    Thursday, October 29, 2009 2:59 AM
  • Hi all,

the memory leak is in fact not in Eset Nod32, but rather in the Windows Filtering Platform (WFP) framework, which is used by Eset to implement the firewall and HTTP traffic scanner. See here for more details:

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/wfp/thread/c023b15a-a319-471b-b1e4-401ecc7f59cc

A hotfix from MS should be available soon.

HTH,
    Ron
    Tuesday, November 10, 2009 3:11 PM
  • Hi all,

the memory leak is in fact not in Eset Nod32, but rather in the Windows Filtering Platform (WFP) framework, which is used by Eset to implement the firewall and HTTP traffic scanner. See here for more details:

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/wfp/thread/c023b15a-a319-471b-b1e4-401ecc7f59cc

A hotfix from MS should be available soon.

HTH,
    Ron
    Hi Ron,

Thanks for your answer and insight. According to the link you've provided, the memory leak should occur in both W7 and Vista. However, the leak with Nod32 occurs only on W7 from RC upwards. Are you certain these two issues are related?

Best regards,
    Burak
    Wednesday, November 11, 2009 1:15 PM
  • Hi Burak,

Yes, I am almost sure it is the same issue.

To be 100% sure, please confirm that Your leak is in the nonpaged kernel memory pool (You can see this in the Windows Task Manager), and that the pool allocation tag of the leaked memory is 'Nbuf' (this is more tricky, one way is to use the poolmon.exe utility, which is available to download from microsoft, with the Windows XP Support Tools).

HTH,
    Ron
    Wednesday, November 11, 2009 4:55 PM
  • I was facing the same problem as well. I'm running Win 7 Ultimate 32bit with 3 gb of RAM and also running ESET Nod32.
    It always happens when I download an insane amount of data using download acceleration programs like Flashget. At about 5gbs of data downloaded, my physical memory usage will be at 75%, my network connections go down (requiring a reboot, as ipconfig doesn't work anymore), trying to run cmd.exe gives me an out of memory error.

I also tried disabling the anti-virus, which didn't work, and I finally decided I needed to uninstall it to be sure. Lo and behold, no more out of memory errors.

Also, to answer Ron's question on whether the leak is in the nonpaged kernel memory, I was using Process Explorer, and when my memory usage was high, the non-paged kernel memory was at 800,000.
    Right now, after uninstalling NOD32, and running downloads for the past 12 hours, the non-paged kernel memory is at 22,000.

Does that confirm this issue?
    Tuesday, November 17, 2009 4:54 PM
  • Also... i ended up turning off the web stuff... still catches everthing and i have had zero problems.
    Wednesday, November 18, 2009 9:27 PM
  • Also, to answer Ron's question on whether the leak is in the nonpaged kernel memory, I was using Process Explorer, and when my memory usage was high, the non-paged kernel memory was at 800,000.
    Right now, after uninstalling NOD32, and running downloads for the past 12 hours, the non-paged kernel memory is at 22,000.

Does that confirm this issue?

Yes, it seems that You are facing the same issue (a bug in the windows WFP framework).
    Monday, November 30, 2009 11:16 AM
  • any word of a fix yet?

i think i have this problem too. when i game with cod:mw2 and the newest nvidia drivers i get a major leak and everything slows then freezes my game, then i have to ctl/alt/del to task manager to close it. then i look at memory and it's still 60-70% still in use. i have had to go back to old drivers 186.91 in order to not have the memory leak.
    Monday, December 14, 2009 5:37 AM
  • Hi folks,

I'm so glad I found this thread!!!  I've used NOD32 for a couple years now on an XP machine with 2gb ram and then put it on my new laptop running win7 home premium with a dual core processor and 4gb ram.. What I noticed, like several of you was that after sitting idle, ,my ram usage would skyrocket, sometimes as high as 80 or 90% usage....This had been happening on the older desktop for the longest,and at times would slow to a crawl to the point of having to flip the main power and reboot it, but I though it was just bottle necking because it was older...I tried all kinds of utility programs, registry cleaners, etc, but the problem remained. And I too would blame it on Firefox and then Google Chrome browser as well. After I got the new laptop, I noticed it also was having the high ram usage issue.  I'm constantly downloading large files from newsgroups, etc, and my desktop runs 24hrs a day, and my laptop sometimes runs overnight if I'm downloading something. This would also happen if I was transferring large amounts of data from one pc to another or to external hdd's via usb hub and my router.  I would see my ram usage steadily climbing during the transfers, yet it wouldn't free back up when I was done, unless I rebooted or tried to manually release it with a mem manger program.  Well after google searching the problem, I found this thread and wondered if in fact my trusty NOD32 could be the culprit.  So on the Win7 laptopI completely uninstalled NOD32 and installed Windows Security Essentials, as another poster here did, and lo and behold, no more memory leak issues. I've done downloads to test it,done file transfers between pc's, I've left it on overnight sitting idle, and my ram hasn't gone higher than maybe 40% peak usage so far at any given time that I've been monitoring it.  Next step was to try this on the older WinXP desktop, by uninstalling NOD32 and installing, MSE, and same result. No more bottlenecks or ram usage above 50% on that machine.  So whether or not the problem is with Windows (WFP), or NOD32, I'll be sticking with MSE for the time being anyway!
    Tuesday, January 26, 2010 10:08 PM
  • Hi Vman81,

I think you are a lucky man. I have exactly the same problem and I too, uninstalled NOD32 and switched to MSE last night. However, the same problem persist! The non-paged memory goes up like crazy when I download large files! Can anyone suggest a temp solution for me? Is it also associated with Firewall? Vman81, are you using any firewall? Which browser are you using for download? Which download manager? I suspect it has also something to do with those combinations. Many thanks for the information.
    Wednesday, January 27, 2010 8:37 AM
  • Hi all,

My problem went away when my ESET lisence run out and I replaced it temporarily with MSE. I like ESET though, and will renew my lisence when this issue gets fixed by Microsoft. I was looking for a cure and noticed this posted on ESET support forum:

Re. a fix for the issue with WFP, a guy from MS has recently posted the following in the MSDN forum:

>>Current plans has this as a February release. Once the package has been released, I'll post a link to the fix's location.
    >>
    >>Hope this helps
    >>Dusty Harper
    >>Microsoft Corporation

Saturday, January 30, 2010 9:35 PM
  • Here's is the Microsoft's hotfix:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/979223

Haven't tested it myself though, but hope it helps.

Friday, February 12, 2010 9:04 PM
  • I 100 % agree with leexgx,

NOD 32 IS THE CULPRINT !

I am also facing the same problem even on 17 Feb 2010.

- Issue is very serious. It occurs when downloading large amount of data over time in Windows 7 64 bit with download managers or P2P.
    - When downloaded more than 25 - 50 GB continuously over a period of time say 9 hours above., entire physical memory runs out. And one by one windows becomes unresponsive. And you get a error (Insufficient System Resources). nothing works after that. System won't even restart, also sometimes accompanied with the blue screen of death. You have to manually cut out power to the CPU to restart.

For almost two days i thought it was a virus which is doing all this. Then when i reinstalled windows fresh and installed nod32, and started downloading using IDM, Guess what happened after 10 hours. Same Problem. I am happy i found this forum. I almost thought i had to replace my 4 GB ram.

As long as this issue is fixed i am going to switch to another anti virus. Probably AVG.

Tuesday, February 16, 2010 9:09 PM
  • The saddest thing is, I personally submitted this problem to Eset Software back in September, when I realized Nod32 still had this problem with Windows 7 and Eset Software refused to look into it, diverting me to their local office in Turkey (who, naturally, has no part in developing the software or testing it). I am a happy MSE user now :)
    Wednesday, February 17, 2010 9:22 AM
  • Hi all,

I was facing the exact same problem described here using Windows 7 64-Bit an ESET Smart Security V4.

After a lot of testing I figured out a workaround which kept the non-paged kernel memory from leaking, while still offering the possibility of using ESET V4. The solution ist quite simple:

1. Go to "Advanced Options > Antivirus and antispyware > Web access protection > HTTP,HTTPS" and uncheck "Activate HTTP-Scan".
    2. Then switch to "Advanced Options > Antivirus and antispyware > Web access protection" and uncheck "Activate Web access protection". 
    3. Confirm the dialog with OK.
    4. Reset your download connection in whatever download-manager/browser/etc. you are using.

On the main screen under "Options" a red dot now should indicate that not only the Web access protection ist deactivated, but furthermore not functional. When you skip Step 1 of the workaround, the red dot will only tell that the Web access protection ist deactivated. This unfortunately is not enough to stop the memory leak.

After applying the workaround no single byte is leaked anymore. :)

Hope that helps some of you, too.

Greets :)
    ml
    Saturday, March 13, 2010 10:46 PM
  • I never had a problem until i added another 4 Gig of ram into the system!

I've applied the patched, fingers crossed this fixes the issue!

Thursday, March 25, 2010 6:05 PM
  • Here's is the Microsoft's hotfix:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/979223

Haven't tested it myself though, but hope it helps.

YES this fix does work !!! i had the same issue with ESET and downloading large files and my 1 gig of ram was maxxing out at 990 and then it would drop the internet connection completely ... i searched and searched until i found this web page and im happy to say , the windows netio hot fix posted in your link DID FIX THE ISSUE !!! i monitored my ram the next few days while downloading and it hardly went over 300mb when downloading at max speeds !  so thank you all for the help and YES , it does work !!!  thank you !!

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/979223         marvelous , just marvelous !!

Thursday, April 08, 2010 11:24 PM