none
\$windows.~bt\windows\system32\winload.exe corrupted or missing error

Question

• I have begun getting an error message on boot that that the file \$windows.~bt\windows\system32\winload.exe corrupted or missing. I've done the following:

1) Booted from Win7/64 Install (upgrade) disc and ran Repair System. No system errors found.

2) Booted from Win7/64 Install (upgrade) disc, opened command prompt and ran bootrec.exe /fixmbr, bootrec.exe /fixboot, and bootrec.exe /RebuildBcd.

3) Booted from Win7/64 Install (upgrade) disc, opened command prompt and ran chkdsk /f /r

4) Booted from Win7/64 Install (upgrade) disc, opened command prompt and ran sfc /scannow. For this program I keep getting a message there is a system repair pending which requires a reboot to complete. Reboot Windows and try again.

If the Win7 disc is not in the CD/DVD drive there error returns.

This started appearing BEFORE I installed Ubuntu 12.10 on the H: drive (SATA0) while Win7/64 resides on the C: drive (SATA1). I had been running EasyBCD so I could dual boot Win7/32 but have since uninstalled it.

Suggestions?

Für Elise - Support the Heart & Breast Cancer Foundations. http://www.amazon.com/Gospel-Our-Lord-Jesus-Christ/dp/1449947565/ref=sr_1_15?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1265754374&sr=1-15

Saturday, October 20, 2012 6:59 PM

All replies

• Seems to be unfinished installation.... (Any more info in WindowsUpdate.log and Event logs?)

Set logging in F8 menu and see if there is a path to problem resolution in boot logfile.

Run in-place upgrade. You will lost IE9, so subsequent upgrade would be needed if you cannot live without IE 9.

If nothing helps, backup c: and data, create new "helper" installation (perhaps diskpart or similar  tool would be nedded to erase the whole disk completely and restore content of c: from backup.

HTH

Milos

BWV 147  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d9EN27Zh_vg

Saturday, October 20, 2012 9:14 PM
  • On the in place upgrade, my copy of Win7 is the upgrade disc. Will this work or do I need a copy of the full kit? Will Win7 give the option for in place upgrade? Will my existing apps get whacked?

Für Elise - Support the Heart & Breast Cancer Foundations. http://www.amazon.com/Gospel-Our-Lord-Jesus-Christ/dp/1449947565/ref=sr_1_15?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1265754374&sr=1-15

Sunday, October 21, 2012 9:55 PM
  • Hi,

I would like suggest you enable S.M.A.R.T. for the HDD in the BIOS and check if it helps.

Regards.

Spencer

TechNet Community Support

Monday, October 22, 2012 8:49 AM
  • I ran a search using Ultra File Search and found 12 copies of winload.exe and 7 copies of BCD. One BCD is in C:\boot, 2 in Norton Bootable Recovery Tool Wizard, 2 in Windows\Boot and 2 in Windows\winsxs\amd64_microsoft-windows-b..environment-dvd-... All twelve winload files are in various folders entitled in part "md64_microsoft-windows-b..environment-windows_31bf3856ad364e35_6.1.7600." Only what appears after the "7600." changes.

Für Elise - Support the Heart & Breast Cancer Foundations.

Monday, October 22, 2012 7:17 PM
  • Okay, I've tried:

Windows Repair Console; chkdsk /f /r; sfc /scannow; bootrec.exe /fixmbr, /fixboot, /rebuildbcd

The system will NOT boot unless the Win7 Home Premium Upgrade disc is in the CD/DVD drive.

Now what?

Wednesday, October 24, 2012 1:58 AM
  • Swapped SATA cables so C: drive is now SATA0.

Cable swap did not work. From Windows 7 Home Edition install disc, I started Windows RE, I ran:
    bcdedit /export C:\BCD_Backup
    C:
    cd boot
    attrib bcd -s -h -r
    ren c:\boot\bcd bcd.old
    bootrec /Rebuild Bcd
    Rebooted.

Received boot error:
    File: \Boot\BCD
    Info: Error occurred while attempting to read boot configuration data

Rebooted into Windows RE and ran:

bootrec /FixMBR
    Rebooted - same error

Rebooted into Windows RE and ran:
    bootrec /FixBoot
    Rebooted - same error

Now what? If the Windows Cd is in the drive, all is well even if I do NOT select Boot from CD/DVD.

Saturday, November 10, 2012 5:21 PM
  • Hi,

The error message usually indicates that the boot sector is damaged or missing.

Please refer to the link below and check if it helps:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/itprovistadeployment/thread/022386ba-a445-44ba-97f7-d8ba4b6cc54b

Spencer

TechNet Community Support

Monday, November 12, 2012 2:04 AM
  • Solved it.

1) Disconnected second HDD.

2) Ran Windows Repair Console and selected Repair; ran it three times rebooting after each run.

3) Once Windows loaded, reconnected 2nd HDD & went back to Windows RC and opened command prompt. Ran Diskpart List Volume.

4) Made sure 2nd disk was set to Inactive.

5) Exited and rebooted. Problem solved.

Monday, November 12, 2012 2:49 AM