none
CANNOT UPDATE TO WINXP SP3- ACCESS DENIED

Question

•  

Dear users:
    I downloaded a STANDALONE INSTALLER of WINXP SP3( today, final release) which apparantly runs fine,but when installing files at about aproximately 60% it stops and I get the message: "ACCESS DENIED" the Service pack 3 installation is not complete. 
    Select OK to undo the changes that have been made.

I''m logged in as an administrator.
    I have seen this issue discussed elsewhere but the solution is very technical.
    I'd appreciate some help.
    Also,please where can I find a direct link to download AGAIN WINXP SP3?

Arturo 
    Tuesday, April 29, 2008 7:43 PM

Answers

• 1. Make a backup of your registry.

2. Download and install subinacl.exe.

3. Create a file called reset.cmd with Notepad. Copy the text below into the file reset.cmd and run reset.cmd with administrative rights (it may take a LONG time):

cd /d "%ProgramFiles%\Windows Resource Kits\Tools"
    subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE /grant=administrators=f /grant=system=f
    subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_CURRENT_USER /grant=administrators=f /grant=system=f
    subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT /grant=administrators=f /grant=system=f
    subinacl /subdirectories %SystemDrive% /grant=administrators=f /grant=system=f
    subinacl /subdirectories %windir%*.* /grant=administrators=f /grant=system=f
    secedit /configure /cfg %windir%\inf\defltbase.inf /db defltbase.sdb /verbose

4. Reboot at SAFE MODE and try install SP3 again.

Wednesday, April 30, 2008 12:57 AM
  • I had the same problem.

The reset.cmd and subinacl.exe tip did not work for me.

But doing this solved my problem :
    1. Click Start, click Run, type cmd, and then press ENTER.
    2. For Windows XP, type the following command, and then press ENTER:
    secedit /configure /cfg %windir%\repair\secsetup.inf /db secsetup.sdb /verbose

You receive a "Task is completed" message, and a warning message that something could not be done. You can safely ignore this message.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;313222

Wednesday, April 30, 2008 3:11 AM

All replies

• Look to see if XML6 is installed. If so remove it from your Add Remove Programs. Once removed I was able to install XP SP3.

Tuesday, April 29, 2008 7:56 PM
  • Dear sir:

Do you mean MS XML 6.0?

Tuesday, April 29, 2008 8:05 PM
  •  

I removed it and tried again to re-install SP3 but the problem persists.

Arturo

Tuesday, April 29, 2008 9:28 PM
  • 1. Make a backup of your registry.

2. Download and install subinacl.exe.

3. Create a file called reset.cmd with Notepad. Copy the text below into the file reset.cmd and run reset.cmd with administrative rights (it may take a LONG time):

subinacl /subdirectories %SystemDrive% /grant=administrators=f /grant=system=f
    subinacl /subdirectories %windir%*.* /grant=administrators=f /grant=system=f
    secedit /configure /cfg %windir%\inf\defltbase.inf /db defltbase.sdb /verbose

4. Reboot at SAFE MODE and try install SP3 again.

Wednesday, April 30, 2008 12:57 AM

•  Evening all
      most people forget that User Account Control exists. By installing Sp3 under a a user account you cannot acccess the registery properly. Please use the Adminstrator account instead of a user adminstrator account. Subinacl.exe was created to act as a way to access the registery properly. And the Reset. com to grant FULL adminstrator account.

Also the other tips apply here, Turning of and diabling Antivirus, anti-spyware protection programs. Backing up information.

What isnt clear as when we used w2k Was the panel showing full adminstrator vers adminstrator and power user. The press f8 then log in as Adminstrator is able to install sp3 with out running the subinacl program.

See here for an clarifacation see here.
    http://www.microsoft.com/protect/computer/advanced/useraccount.mspx

The things that applied to installing sp also apply when attempting to install Sp3
    www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/sp2/sp2_whattoknow.mspx
    Wednesday, April 30, 2008 2:18 AM
  • I had the same problem.

The reset.cmd and subinacl.exe tip did not work for me.

But doing this solved my problem :
    1. Click Start, click Run, type cmd, and then press ENTER.
    2. For Windows XP, type the following command, and then press ENTER:

You receive a "Task is completed" message, and a warning message that something could not be done. You can safely ignore this message.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;313222

Wednesday, April 30, 2008 3:11 AM
  • I have the same problem. I did all the reccomeded suggestions, without any luck. Something tells me that Microsoft has to come out with an updated version of SP3.

jsboston

Saturday, May 10, 2008 6:31 PM
  • By generating a log for the SP3 install I have found that the access denied is a registry access error. It is only necessary to run the first three registry scans with subinacl.exe. 

I found that the remaining statements which scan the system drive and folders caused my AntiVirus and Personal Firewall to stop working.  I also discovered that the access denied error has something to do with IE7 being installed.  If I apply SP3 to a backup of my system running IE6 then it works, but if I apply it to a more recent backup of my system with IE7 installed then I get the access denied error.  Unistalling IE7 and reverting to IE6 does not remove the problem either as the IE7 install seems to poison the registry access.  The only solution with IE7 installed is to run the three registry fixes with subinacl.exe

In fairness to Microsoft, I did a clean install of XP from a slipstreamed CD of SP0 + SP1 + SP2.  I then installed IE7 SP2 and finally attempted XP SP3 without any subinacl.exe registry fixes.  XP SP3 installed perfectly, so there must be some interaction between the (post SP2) Security Updates and IE7 that causes the registry to lose some of its access rights.  Microsoft's advice on generating a log of all registry access KB906485 does not work for XP SP3 so it is anyone's guess which registry key is the faulty one.

Sunday, May 11, 2008 10:32 PM
  • secedit worked for me

Wednesday, May 14, 2008 2:50 PM
  • I had to follow the instructions from KB 949377 to get SP3 to install even though I was logged in as the Administrator account.  This is basically what is documented here.

Problem is, I lost all my non-Administrator level accounts after I did this.  At least they aren't choices to login from and don't show up as users in the control panel utility.  All their system folders still seem to be there (under "Documents and Settings" folder).

So my wife and 2 kids, who had their own restricted logins before, are no longer able to login.

I'm sure there is a way to re-enable them without losing their customizations and settings, but I don't know what it is.

Friday, May 16, 2008 5:24 PM
  • Hi - I had all the same problems listed in this thread.  I tried the subinacl.exe scripts but they didn't work.  I tried dial-a-fix and that didn't work.  Finally I got to success by *removing* all my anti-virus, and anti-spyware apps.  Including: SpyBot, WebRoot, Spy Doctor, Ad-Aware and AVG.  Not just turning them off, but *unistalling them completely* from my PC.  I uninstalled each one individually then rebooted my PC after each individual removal.  Again, COMPLETE removal, not just shutting off.  Then the SP3 install worked just fine and I've been working with it for several days with no buggy behavior, yet... (I use a Dell Inspiron m600 laptop running Win XP Pro).  I hope this helps.

Monday, June 16, 2008 12:24 PM
  • Step 3 alone worked for me.  It took about 20 minutes. 

It’s probably irrelevant but the last command (secedit) gave the errors

The system cannot find the file specified.

Task is completed with error.

See log %windir%\security\logs\scesrv.log for detail info.

The indicated log file contains

Warning 2: The system cannot find the file specified.

Error opening C:\WINDOWS\inf\defltbase.inf.

Thanks for the clear explanation, Vinod_r2

Tuesday, July 29, 2008 10:47 AM
  • HolmesDM, please see http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949377 for the correct script, rather than the faulty one posted above.

Tuesday, July 29, 2008 11:07 AM
  • Downloading and installing the workaround subinacl.exe failed to install the XP SP3 for me, too;

However, SP3 did install after running this secedit command (with spaces).

Thanks, Jeff

Wednesday, September 10, 2008 11:37 PM
  • Thanks SoapyJohn

I had the same problem, and secedit worked for me as well

Make sure you put the spaces where you see them

Saturday, September 20, 2008 3:26 AM
  • I have tried everything and I am still getting "Access Denied" while trying to install SP3 on my laptop with WinXP Home Edition.  I did the Subinacl.exe and reset.cmd ... I tried inputting the secedit /configure /cfg %windir%\repair\secsetup.inf /db secsetup.sdb /verbose ... command and it states that the file is not found (assumed spaces before all forward slash "/").  This is driving me nuts.

I had no problem installing on my desktop (WinXP Prof) after running Subinacl.exe and reset.cmd ...

WHAT AM I DOING WRONG???

LadyBonita
    Saturday, January 17, 2009 4:31 AM
  • do these errors only arise when you use the self installation? has anyone tried to use the automated updater? try downloading the file again
    Monday, January 26, 2009 5:12 PM
  • This worked! Thanks, I was going batty trying to figure this one out. =)
    Tuesday, June 30, 2009 7:34 PM