none
Taskbar freezes when using IE, Windows Explorer stops working after forcefully closing down the browser

Question

• The problem appeared suddenly when I was browsing the net yesterday using Internet Explorer (ver 7). I noticed that the time in the taskbar was "stuck", and when I tried to check it, noticed that I could not access anything in the taskbar, including the start button, and that there were no open applications present in the taskbar, even though I had the browser running.

Immediatelly after, IE froze, tried to close it forcefully using ctrl+alt+del, when I did it, windows explorer stopped working, and IE window shut down, and everything in the screen dissappeared (including the taskbar), leaving me only the desktop wallpaper to see. Restarted the laptop a couple of times, to no avail, as soon as I open IE:

1 - The taskbar goes dead

2 - The IE browser freezes, and I have to either manually and forcefully shut it down, or wait for the "no response" window to appear

3 - Windows explorer stops working.

4 - The desktop goes blank, and nothing goes back, and...

5a - ...have to log off and restart the computer using ctrl+alt+del (this was yesterday)

5b - ...everything comes back a few seconds after windows explorer stops working (this is today)

Nothing happens if I open any other applications, just IE causes this. I updated the video and the wireless cards, as well as installed important/recommended updates for Vista/IE (I check for updates manually, and just install the important ones). This didn't solve the problem.

I went into safe mode with networking and did run a full anti virus and spyware check in safe mode, nothing came out. Nothing happened when I used IE in safe mode, went back to normal mode and the problem returned, so I went back to safe mode, and that is how I was able to post this thread.

Laptop specs:

- Vista Ultimate, 2gb RAM,160gb 5400 rpm HD, Nvidia 7950gtx, Intel Core Duo 7200, 2.0 ghz, 2 years old

- No issues whatsover in the past.

I am really puzzled, and any info is really appreciated.

Thursday, August 14, 2008 8:05 PM

All replies

•  

I am experiencing that exact same problem, and the problem began for me yesterday.  Once I open IE, IE seems to freeze up upon loading and just shows 'connecting' in the internet window.  I have two home pages that are supposed to pop up, yet only one tab shows.  I can't close out of IE, and I lose all control of windows (no start button access, taskbar access, etc.).  If I click on the taskbar or start button, I am informed that Windows Explorer is not responding and I have the option to restart, close, or wait for it.  Restarting it sometimes causes the desktop to just disappear and I'm left with an IE window.  When I choose to close, my IE will finally close and pop back up and start working again.

There are only two things I can think of that occurred around the time this problem started for me.  One was an update I installed for JAVA and the other was playing with the wireless settings using Dell's Quickset program.  To see if the JAVA program was the problem, I did a system restore to a point before the JAVA installation, and my computer was still having the same problem.  As far as the wireless settings, I tried switching my wireless from a b/g mode only to one that allowed for a/b/g.  I switched it back to b/g only after this problem but it has not helped.  This problem is occurring for me whether I use wireless, wired, or no ethernet connection whatsoever. 

Basically, this one has me pretty stumped.  This is a brand new computer I'm using (Dell Latitude D630 laptop) that had Vista Business (32-bit) pre-installed on it. This is my first experience with Vista, and I'm not too impressed... Has anyone had any luck correcting a problem like this??

Thanks

Friday, August 15, 2008 4:17 PM
  • Exact Same Problem and it happened like yesterday Im now trying to use firefox but it wont let me open any links from my msn or anything also everytime i now try to use internet explorer it pops up as a box on my screen with the title internet explorer then just freezes and doesnt give me the adress bar or anything. So when i want to fix it i have to go to system restore. Iv been Restoring over and over trying to find away to stop my windows explorer from crashing when i start up internet explorer. Vista is a buggy peace of ***, Im just goign to switch back to XP.
    Friday, August 15, 2008 7:04 PM
  • Okay... I think I found a solution.  Not necessary the best solution, but it works for me.  Try to uninstall Java from your computer completely.  I know for a fact that when Java 6 Update 7 is on my computer, this problem occurs.  As soon as I removed it, my internet explorer behaved as normal.  When I tried to reinstall Java Update 7, the internet explorer issues began again.  I removed Java again and the internet works fine now.  I have not tried to install older versions of Java yet, but I know I had Java Update 5 on my computer before I did the update and it was working fine.  That's going to be my next step.  I'm assuming that since this problem all occurred for us around the same time that Java update was available, we're all victims of it.  Give this a shot and post how it goes.  Hope this helps!

Saturday, August 16, 2008 4:30 AM
  • i went in and looked for java 6 update 7 but only found 5 update 6 and i uninstalled it.  I'm still having the same problem.  I can use the internet as long as i don't close it out or try to use any other programs.  any other ideas?

Sunday, August 17, 2008 3:04 PM
  • Tried uninstalling Java, did not work (thanks anyway).
    Tried system restore to restore to a restore point before the problem started, did not work (and had to wait hours to finish).

I decided to download and install Firefox in safe mode. Now I can browse the internet without problems, crashing or freezing, in normal mode.
    I reckon this is not a solution, but rather a bypass, but works as well for me, since university classes are starting soon...

I had Firefox before, but preferred Internet Explorer, so I got rid of the first; now, until a permanent fix is found, I will stick with Firefox.
    Sunday, August 17, 2008 6:10 PM
  • I had the same problem as the first post.  How can we restore internet explorer to get it working?

My system restore failed on all points i chose, and my window's update fails to install all new updates...

I'm using firefox, i managed to download it and install it before windows explorer froze again on me...

I noticed a lot of windows opening up the day it crashed.  I was chatting online with a Crutchfield

electronics customer assistance chat, and the opening windows folded out like a deck of cards across the top

of screen...   I googled, and found where it said ''opening too many windows at too fast a speed, can cause

problems with how explorer  communicates/reacts to your computer"   There was a microsoft windows update

KB928089 that was supposed to patch the problem, but I can't  access it, because my windows update fails

when I try and install any new updates!!!   Catch-22,  help me!  I guess I can keep using firefox, and hope

nothing else locks up???   any techies got an idea to try, i'd be grateful.

thanks

wa
    Tuesday, August 19, 2008 1:29 AM
  • is it odd that 3 or more of us who posted here, have the same type of freeze up, with taskbar inopperable,

on the same date?

Tuesday, August 19, 2008 1:30 AM
  • what exactly is 'java'  and can I delete all of java from my pc without harming other programs?

Tuesday, August 19, 2008 1:32 AM
  • I went through all of the stuff above and it didn't work for me. 

The Symbolic Debugger for Windows (_A00F6265D5A.exe) in the Startup files was the problem.

Go to Start>Run>type "msconfig" go to "Startup" tab and uncheck "_A00F6265D5A.exe" select "OK"

You'll have to restart.

Good Luck

Tuesday, August 19, 2008 7:56 AM

• I don't  have  an  AOOF62...   that you mentioned.   I have an    AOOFC4115.exe

do i uncheck that?

how did it fix your problem?  You had no freezes after unchecking?
    Tuesday, August 19, 2008 8:34 AM
  • Yes, after I unchecked it, IE worked fine.

I would try disabling AOOFC4115.exe.  If IE doesn't work after that, it's an easy fix to put it back.

Tuesday, August 19, 2008 2:11 PM
  • Anyone else have this problem. Have tried all of the fixes and nothing helped.

Brent

Tuesday, August 19, 2008 5:06 PM
  •  

I too had the exact same problem: taskbar would lock up after Internet explorer was launched. It started on Friday night, Aug 15th. I ended up using system restore to a restore point on Aug 14, prior to the Java update. It worked and the computer is now fine.

Computer's a HP Pavilion with Vista operating system.

Indeed, something weird happened, folks. Did anyone notify tech support with Microsoft?

Wednesday, August 20, 2008 6:30 AM
  • I should also note that I also downloaded a new version of Norton and immediately ran a scan, removed Webroot, and installed Adobe updates. The adobe update was also a bit of a problem.

Wednesday, August 20, 2008 6:32 AM
  • I went to my start-up menu and disabled   AOOFC4115.exe.    and Now it works fine. My thanks to inliner72!!!!

wonder what it was that i disabled...???

wonder if java updater will mess me up again?  how to turn off the java updater?

thanks

steve
    Wednesday, August 20, 2008 7:12 AM
  • Hello people

My girlfriend has the same problem on her computer and it all began suddenly...
    Every time she tries to open internet explorer windows taskbar freezes and if she does anything (i.e. try to close IE) windows crashes

I have disabled the AOO file on startup but the problem remains. I will try to uninstall java to see if that works

Anyone has found any solution??
    Thursday, August 21, 2008 7:35 PM
  • I have Vista, and I am having the same problem.  I also installed the "java" update a few days ago, and I think java is the culprit.  I am not sure why you are not able to "un-install" completely.  I will try it on my computer.

Friday, September 05, 2008 4:58 PM
  • I am using Windows Vista Business.

Although I do not use NetScape, at the present time, I do have some Adobe programs.

As for Adobe: Premiere Elements 3.0 would do the auto update when I started the program, but I found out that it was not working.

Solution: I went to Adobe and downloaded the update manually.  Now Premiere Elements works just fine.

Further more: I am going to try the manual update of ALL of my Adobe programs.

Also: I am going to try Mozilla, Firefox.

Friday, September 05, 2008 5:03 PM
  • I'm not sure if this issue has been resolved, but it's taking too much of my time trying to find out what's wrong and to see who is having the same issue.  This is as close as it comes.

Ironically, around the same time as everyone else, I've been having what I thought was Firefox update problems.  So, I went to IE7, and same thing.  Java... didn't matter.  Scanned for virus' and what-not... nothing.  Here's a checklist:
    • Firefox 3.0.4 (currently using to type this entry)
    • Internet Explorer 7.0.5730.13 (to get this info, it froze)
    • Java jre1.6.0_07 (just updated yesterday, but even with prior version, I still have/had same issue)
    • F-Secure Security (updated)
    • Used Kaspersky online scanner and Trend Micro Housecall for Safe Mode w/ Networking scanning.
    • Spybot (updated)
    • XP SP3
    If I'm forgetting something, tag me.

I have a handful of scenerios to tell you which will take all day to type, but I've pretty much disabled things (such as security and any add-ons in browsers), updated Java and/or took it off, but nothing is working to resolve my issue.  However, I can go to Safe Mode w/ Networking, connect to Kaspersky and do their online scan... BUT... if I was under this normal boot, Firefox and IE don't freeze... THEY CRASH AND CLOSE.  Java?  I thought so, but why remain stable in Safe Mode?

The oddest thing about opening any of my browsers is: after a few moments (with what appears to be browsing of media, such as sites with images or embedded video), I can click a link and all I see (in Firefox) is a quick flash in my browser taskbar and the "stop loading this page" X  and refresh swirlie.  Nothing is connectable.  In IE, it will freeze and be unresponsive when the internet is "dropped".  So, I have to go to the task manager (in my case, I use Process Explorer) and kill the process of the browser since only closing it will have it stick in memory as being operable.  If this process is still live, then I cannot use my mail client or any other thing that sends/receives information via net.  I will then reopen the browser and voila!  I'm browsing the internet again and receiving/sending info (mail client DOES NOT need to be open when these issues occur, but ironically, is Thunderbird which relies on Java).  It does not affect my messenger services (in this case, Yahoo).  It, too, does not have to be live for all issues to occur.

Well known sites that will CRASH my browsers perodically: Hotmail/MSN and Yahoo Mail.
    Well known sites that will "cut-off" my browsing internet and/or freeze the browser after a moment of use: Youtube, Google Images.

Also, there have been a number of times when I have this issue and want to reboot, where I get this dreaded 'DEP has shut down Windows Explorer', or something of such.  So, everything flickers, I lose my taskbar icons (though, in Process Explorer, they are all operable and live), and I have to go back to Start>Turn off computer>Restart, for it to finally actually do what I initially wanted it to do.

I'm all out of ideas here, folks.  And... I DO NOT want to hear... without a reason or explanation... that I need to reformat.  That's not a fix, that's an excuse to ignore the issue.  Right now, it seems everything is pointing to Java, yet it is fine and stable in Safe Mode w/ Networking and still "freezes" and/or disconnects, when it is inactive at image sites.

Thanks to all who are supportive.
    Sunday, December 07, 2008 9:06 PM
  •  Eix wrote:
    • Java jre1.6.0_07 (just updated yesterday, but even with prior version, I still have/had same issue)

I need to correct this.  I am currently running 1.6.0_11-b03.  The Java folder says otherwise, but I just got the icon in my taskbar and clicked it to view info.  _07 was the prior installation.
    Monday, December 08, 2008 1:07 AM
  • Um I am answering very late but I suggest you upgrade your Internet Explorer or re-install it. I don't know how but that worked for me

Helen.

Tuesday, January 24, 2012 5:33 AM