none
Show Desktop?

General discussion

• Can anyone give me the reasoning behind the Aero Peek feature? I'm having trouble coming up with a situation that would necessitate seeing the outlines of open windows. It seems to me that it's the first step towards a feature like Mac OS's Expose, which would prove EXTREMELY useful. Then again, I'd also happily welcome a virtual-desktop feature like Spaces too. In fact, if those 2 things were included in Windows 7, I'd probably switch back to Windows as my primary OS from Mac OS.
    Thursday, January 15, 2009 4:54 PM

All replies

• The Preview Desktop function is primarily for use with gadgets.

Exposé switching and virtual desktops can be done with 3rd-party software (or even 1st-party, with Microsoft Sysinternals Desktops)
    Thursday, January 15, 2009 5:21 PM
  • I was wondering the same thing, until I was working on something that had a bunch of research windows opened and needed to check whether or not I'd even be able to make it to class due to the weather =)
    Thursday, January 15, 2009 5:37 PM
  • I just wish everything wouldn't flash visible again when you click the peek button to minimize everything.

Point at it :  Everything turns to glass
    Click it:  Everything flashes visible, then minimizes

Yuk!
    Thursday, January 15, 2009 5:56 PM
  • The Sysinternals Desktop software doesn't work with Windows 7. I'm sure it will at some point, but I don't want to have a completely separate taskbar for every virtual desktop. That seems like a waste since one of the points of only showing icons in the taskbar is to allow the user to have more open windows at once. If I have Outlook open, I want to click the icon in the taskbar and automatically jump to whichever virtual desktop it's open on (like the Dock in Mac OS).

P.S. Yes, I know I'm comparing Windows to Mac OS. The fact that I have to irritates me, because I've been a Windows user for 20 years, and a Mac user for 2. All I need is the added simplicity of Mac OS, yet the customization and software compatibility of Windows.
    Thursday, January 15, 2009 8:00 PM