none
recovering PC with new operating system

Question

• I have an Acer desktop running Windows 7 home premium. My son did something that caused an error in the MBR. It will not let me restore it without the recovery disk. which I am downloading from another link on here. However I was wondering if it is possible to use the recovery disks from my hp computer which is running windows 8 or will this just mess it up worse?
    Monday, February 18, 2013 10:32 PM

Answers

• I wouldn't use another computers recovery disks. Did you try setting it back to factory specs by pushing the ALT and the F10 key's on bootup?
    Tuesday, February 19, 2013 12:29 AM
  • Hi,

I agree with Schloicka. Do not use other computer’s recovery disk. If you do not have the recovery disk, you can contact Acer for obtaining replacement disks and manuals.

More information about How to replace Microsoft software or hardware, order service packs, and replace product manuals, please see the following KB article:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=326246

Tracy Cai
    TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, February 20, 2013 6:28 AM
  • Hi,

If it's really just the MBR that's messed up you could use the recovery disks from a different machine if it provides you access to the command line. However if that option is not available you can't use them since it'll simply (try to) place (might work) Windows 8 on the disk and in general wipe all data from the disk. However this is not a wanted scenario since you wouldn't be able to activate it since you don't have another license, and there are likely drivers missing for that machine.

It's highly unlikely that you're able to restore the laptop to factory settings using the built-in recovery partition (if it's there) when your MBR is messed up, since it still needs data from there in order to boot into the special partition.

Personally I would not recommend to use the other disks you have from the Win8 machine, unless you're familiar with the command line. The command that you'd have to use would be [ bcdboot y:\windows /s z: ] however you'd need to replace the letters y and z with the drive letters for the windows partition and z for the partition that's marked as "active" also called the boot partition.

Kind regards,

Stephan Schwarz

If one of these posts answered your question or issue, please click on "Mark as answer".

My Blog | Twitter: @Schwarz_Stephan | MCTS, MCITP, MCSA, MCC-2011.
    How to configure Windows RE/OEM Recovery Partition with MDT
    How to configure Windows RE/OEM Recovery Partition with MDT 2012 Update 1

Wednesday, February 20, 2013 8:43 PM

All replies

• I wouldn't use another computers recovery disks. Did you try setting it back to factory specs by pushing the ALT and the F10 key's on bootup?
    Tuesday, February 19, 2013 12:29 AM
  • Hi,

I agree with Schloicka. Do not use other computer’s recovery disk. If you do not have the recovery disk, you can contact Acer for obtaining replacement disks and manuals.

More information about How to replace Microsoft software or hardware, order service packs, and replace product manuals, please see the following KB article:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=326246

Tracy Cai
    TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, February 20, 2013 6:28 AM
  • Hi,

If it's really just the MBR that's messed up you could use the recovery disks from a different machine if it provides you access to the command line. However if that option is not available you can't use them since it'll simply (try to) place (might work) Windows 8 on the disk and in general wipe all data from the disk. However this is not a wanted scenario since you wouldn't be able to activate it since you don't have another license, and there are likely drivers missing for that machine.

It's highly unlikely that you're able to restore the laptop to factory settings using the built-in recovery partition (if it's there) when your MBR is messed up, since it still needs data from there in order to boot into the special partition.

Personally I would not recommend to use the other disks you have from the Win8 machine, unless you're familiar with the command line. The command that you'd have to use would be [ bcdboot y:\windows /s z: ] however you'd need to replace the letters y and z with the drive letters for the windows partition and z for the partition that's marked as "active" also called the boot partition.

Kind regards,

Stephan Schwarz

If one of these posts answered your question or issue, please click on "Mark as answer".

My Blog | Twitter: @Schwarz_Stephan | MCTS, MCITP, MCSA, MCC-2011.
    How to configure Windows RE/OEM Recovery Partition with MDT
    How to configure Windows RE/OEM Recovery Partition with MDT 2012 Update 1

Wednesday, February 20, 2013 8:43 PM