none
The file NTKRNLPA.exe is open or is in use by another application (SERVICE PACK 3 SETUP ERROR)

Question

• Hi All,

When i attempt to install service pack 3 from windows updates it gives the below error;

TITLE:      SERVICE PACK 3 SETUP ERROR

ERROR:   THE FILE NTKRNLPA.EXE IS OPEN OR IS IN USE BY ANOTHER APPLICATION

I have searched my process's and can not find the application running and therefore, i am stuck for idea's.

All help appreciated

Wednesday, May 07, 2008 2:09 PM

All replies

• A little help would be appreciated...

Wednesday, May 07, 2008 5:17 PM
  • The error message is self-explanatory.  You have some third-party software active on your PC which is holding the named file open.  You need to disable or uninstall the culprit software that is doing this.  Maybe "msconfig" start-up items will help.  If you need to dig deeper, you can use "Process Explorer" (download from Microsoft) to search for which process has that named file open.

Wednesday, May 07, 2008 7:07 PM
  • Thanks rdhw. I encountered the same trouble. I successfully installed the sp3 today by the help of your information.I just closed the file of NTKRNLPA.exe using "Process Explorer", then the process of installation was OK.
    Saturday, May 17, 2008 6:51 AM
  • After finding the location of this open file, I wanted to force the close but was given the message that "forcing a handle closed can lead to an applicatrion crash and system instability".

What will happen if I close C:\windows\system32\ntkrnlpa.exe?

Can I change it from an .exe file to some other extention without hurting anything and then proceed to download the SP3?

bneustad

Wednesday, September 17, 2008 7:43 PM
  • It really depends on which application has this file open, and why.  This is not an SP3 problem.  This symptom is usually caused by a trojan or rootkit, or some third-party software.  If you find which application has the file open, the best thing to do would be to close that application, or prevent it from launching in the first place.

Thursday, September 18, 2008 11:25 AM
  • Thanks, the decision has helped.

In PE:

Find

Find handle (NTKRNLPA.exe)

In "Lower Pane">Close handle

Thursday, November 06, 2008 9:43 PM
  • Thank you! I received this error when trying to install KB2393802 and closing NTKRNLPA.exe through Process Explorer worked.
    Friday, July 29, 2011 6:15 PM
  • I know this thread is a bit old but I just had this on a computer restored using manufacturers restore partition ( only SP).

Error message same when try to install SP3.

Nothing showed up on process explorer.

Ran TDSS killer from Kaperski and found a rootkit on boot partition, removed , rebooted and sp3 installed OK

Thursday, August 11, 2011 12:49 PM
  • Kaspersky's TDSS Killer worked for me as well.  The free download can be found at:

http://support.kaspersky.com/viruses/utility

Thursday, November 03, 2011 7:18 PM