none
boot manager is missing ( XP)

Question

• hello!
      it's my bestfriend's problem with her laptop (Neo mini notebook)
      when she got home from work, she opened her computer but
      gave her a remark "boot manager is missing, press ctrl alt del to restart.."
      though before she left the office, it was working..
      we both dont know what to do..
      please help
    Friday, August 14, 2009 7:28 PM

All replies

• Boot off of the XP cd and choose repair once the CD fully loads.  Of the two options you want to repair using the recovery console.  It will bring up a command prompt and search for installations.  Choose yours and login to it.  type Fixboot /? to get a description of this command.  type fixboot c: to fix your main C drive.  Another one to use might be fixmbr.  If you only have one OS loaded on your system just type fixmbr and it will write out the MBR to the default system partition.  If not, you can point it to the right disk:  fixmbr \Device\HardDisk0

If you aren't sure, google for these two to get some quick insight.
    Anything worth doing is worth doing right. Don't forget to vote!!!
    Friday, August 14, 2009 9:22 PM
  • Hi!
    i really appreciate your reply, we will try later,
    but would there be an assurance that the files on the hard disk wont be deleted?

thanks again!
    Friday, August 14, 2009 9:24 PM
  • Assurance?  Guarantees?  There are no guarantees in life.  Having said that, these two commands are dealing with the boot record and the boot entries for the OS.  Even if they don't work they should still leave the drive just as readible as it was before (which isn't saying much.  We don't know why the boot record was messed up to begin with).  You should still be able to stick it in another machine and bring the drive up as a slave to copy stuff off.

My recommendation is to give it a shot.  As long as the MFT and the rest of the disk is ok, this should fix the missing boot record problem.  You might want to hop into the BIOS and make sure the drive comes up and is at least somewhat recognizable (size, sectors, etc).  Also, make sure you give F8 a shot for Safe Mode.  I doubt that will be an option but you always want to give safe mode a shot if possible.
    Friday, August 14, 2009 9:30 PM
  • okay thanks much!
    i will let you know if this works for me.

thanks again,have a nice weekend.
    Friday, August 14, 2009 9:32 PM
  • Good luck, thanks and you too :)
    Friday, August 14, 2009 9:39 PM
  • hi!
    im sorry, but how would i know if its dual booting?
    honestly i dont know..

thanks for your reply.
    Friday, August 14, 2009 9:40 PM
  • Dual booting is when you have two operating systems, usually seperated onto different partitions or drives.  When you start the OS you get an option of which one you want to start.  Since its a Neo mini notebook I wouldn't think it would be but you never know.
    Friday, August 14, 2009 9:42 PM
  • oh.. i think it just have 1. OS, its XP.. only..
    ive been googling whole day, since im at work,
    trying to check, but the available help is for vista xp.. even here in ms site..
    Friday, August 14, 2009 9:43 PM
  • Also, do you have recovery media (from manufacturer)?  It can be a recovery set or a manufacturer provided copy of the OS but it needs to be from them.  Most of the time the keys for the OS on the genuine product label on the machine are keyed specifically to their media and won't work with other media.
    Friday, August 14, 2009 9:44 PM
  • yes i have the XP CD, later ill try all your help.
    ill post what will happen, thanks much guys,
    Friday, August 14, 2009 9:47 PM
  • hi i have the same problem but mine is on a gateway netbook with no cd drive. is there any place that i can get the boot manager online for say a usb?
    Saturday, January 29, 2011 9:38 PM
  • Should be able to put a Pixie Boot OR Hiram Boot Disc to USB & then go from there.

Boot Mgr is in the OS or on the OS disc... Best solution is to get the OS on a bootable USB.
    Drew MS Partner / MS Beta Tester / Pres. Computer Issues Pres. Computer Issues www.drewsci.com
    Friday, February 04, 2011 6:50 AM