none
Print Spool Service not running.

Question

• I am running Windows XP and got the "printer spool service" message after I deleted an unused version of MS Office.

Can someone tell me HOW TO GET THE PRINT SPOOL SERVICE running again.  All the threads complain of the problem, with little or no solutions, except for a network system.

How do I get my print spool working again?  Every time I go to ADD Printer, the errro message appears "Print Spool Service is Not Running"

Please help...

Thanks

RAY

Thursday, October 11, 2007 8:05 PM

Answers

• You can start the Print Spooler using the following procedure:

1. In the Administrative Tools folder (click Start, then Control Panel, then System and Maintenance and then Administrative Tools), open the Services snap-in.
    2. Locate the Print Spooler service in the list of services and confirm that the status is Started. If it is not, select the service and on the Action menu, click Start.

I hope that this helps,

Sunday, October 21, 2007 11:56 PM
  • Hi Kimber,

I'm sorry to hear that you're still experiencing problems, and I apologize for the slow response. Try the steps below and let us know if that solves the problem.

I hope that this helps!

In some instances, you might receive error Error 1068 "The dependency service or group failed to start" when attempting to start the Print Spooler. This can happen if Print Spooler relies on other services which are not running. To resolve this issue, use the following procedure:

1. In Services, right-click Print Spooler and then click Properties.
    2. Click the Dependencies tab. The first box lists all of the system services that must be running for Print Spooler to start. These are the dependencies.
    3. Make a note of each service, click OK and then start each service upon which Print Spooler is dependent, if the service is not already started. If a service was not started, right-click it, click Properties and then confirm that the Startup type is Automatic.
    Wednesday, November 07, 2007 1:39 AM

All replies

• You can start the Print Spooler using the following procedure:

1. In the Administrative Tools folder (click Start, then Control Panel, then System and Maintenance and then Administrative Tools), open the Services snap-in.
    2. Locate the Print Spooler service in the list of services and confirm that the status is Started. If it is not, select the service and on the Action menu, click Start.

I hope that this helps,

Sunday, October 21, 2007 11:56 PM
  • Dear I can't belive that nobody of so called expert its not stuk with this stupid Win problem. Every experienced Win user will try out this so called tips. Its obviouse that this is weak point of Win XP 2k3 and 2K. And is strange how nobody even MS dont have easy solution or clear procedure how to solv the problem
    Wednesday, October 24, 2007 12:40 PM
  • I tried what you said and my Printer Spool still wont start. Error 1068. I need my printer to work
    Please can someone help me.
    thank you
    Kimber
    I cant work without my printer that gives me my assinments
    Thursday, November 01, 2007 9:22 PM
  • Hi Kimber,

I'm sorry to hear that you're still experiencing problems, and I apologize for the slow response. Try the steps below and let us know if that solves the problem.

I hope that this helps!

In some instances, you might receive error Error 1068 "The dependency service or group failed to start" when attempting to start the Print Spooler. This can happen if Print Spooler relies on other services which are not running. To resolve this issue, use the following procedure:

2. Click the Dependencies tab. The first box lists all of the system services that must be running for Print Spooler to start. These are the dependencies.
    3. Make a note of each service, click OK and then start each service upon which Print Spooler is dependent, if the service is not already started. If a service was not started, right-click it, click Properties and then confirm that the Startup type is Automatic.
    Wednesday, November 07, 2007 1:39 AM
  •  Rayvillan wrote:

I am running Windows XP and got the "printer spool service" message after I deleted an unused version of MS Office.

Can someone tell me HOW TO GET THE PRINT SPOOL SERVICE running again.  All the threads complain of the problem, with little or no solutions, except for a network system.

How do I get my print spool working again?  Every time I go to ADD Printer, the errro message appears "Print Spool Service is Not Running"

Please help...

Thanks

RAY

I too have the same problem.I run Windows XP Home with SP". This has just happened two days ago, and the advice you were given didn't work for me either.
    If you've solved your problem, I'd be happy to follow your instructions. My three in one will scan but can't print a document.
    Sunday, November 11, 2007 1:22 AM
  • Hi Jason,

I too have a printer spool service issue.  I attempted to repair it per your instruction without success.  I got error message 1053.  I have a new HP Photosmart printer with CD software to load, and I'm unable to complete the task due to the printer spool service not responding to start command.  I have 2003 HP Pavilion a250n, running Windows XP Professional.  Computer was gifted to me this way.  What is my course of action now?  

Additionally, my start menu and Icons will not display on my webpage when loading.  I get a "welcome" and the arrow only (which is mobile, not frozen).   I must initiate webpage start up displays manually (control/alt/delete to get applications and run tasks), and they will only display after manually starting a program first (usually AOL).  Thanks very much. 

Learning,

Bob, Italian Poet

Thursday, November 15, 2007 9:29 PM
  • Hi Jason, will the remedy you suggested for Error Message 1068 above possibly resolve my Error Message 1053 as well?  I didn't see your post on this until after sending my first post. (See above). 

Bob

Italian Poet

Thursday, November 15, 2007 9:36 PM
  • I also have the Print Spool Service not running when i try to add a new Network printer HP Laserjet 1018 in Windows Vista

The installation fails recomending to start the service or restart Windows

But doing any of the 2 will not solve the problem

Other printers do not fail

I seen this problem in 2 Vista laptops at the office

One is Toshiba Satellite A205-S4577

the other a HP Pavillion dv6000

Upgarding the driver on the printer host is the last idea i have

Ill get in touch

Tuesday, November 27, 2007 5:44 PM
  • I'm up and printing again. Thanks

Friday, November 30, 2007 3:13 AM
  • If (in XP pro) I open a DOS window and type "net start spooler" I get a message "print spooler already started".  I'm running VISTA on a notebook computer on a wireless home network and when I try to print to a printer on the XP machine, I get a message saying the print spooler service is not running.  What to do?
    Thanks,
    Henry
    Wednesday, January 16, 2008 5:18 AM
  •  

This information is great -  but--- how do i start the services?

I have gone into system information and found the print spooler and it says its stopped. cannot get into print spooler to get it started again.  i have sat for 7 hrs trying to fix this problem and still nothing . someone please help me

Saturday, January 26, 2008 7:10 AM
  • Thank you Jason,

your instructions helped me understand why my print spooler was not starting.  It turned out that a 'dependant' service (lexbces) was not running due to a missing file (lexbces.exe) that got cleaned up after I removed an old Lexmark printer.  FYI for others:  I had to get detailed instructions (and re-download old drivers) from the Lexmark site to correctly remove the Lexmark service.  Search for "The Print Spooler or one of its dependancies is not available" on the Lexmark site.  After the uninstall of the Lexmark service, the dependancy on "lexbces" was removed.  Now my print spooler can be started. 

Thanks.

John.

Saturday, January 26, 2008 9:21 PM
  • I know what you are talking about.  I've been receiving this error: res://C:\WINDOWS\System32\mmcndmgr.dll/views.htm  I have no clue how to fix it.  I've followed all of the previous suggestions from the thread.  With this problem XP isn't even reading my usb connection to the printer because of the above error.  Any suggestions out there how to fix this??  Tks.
    Monday, March 03, 2008 1:48 AM
  •  

I too have the same problem.I run Windows XP Home with SP". This has just happened two days ago, and the advice you were given didn't work for me either.
    If you've solved your problem, I'd be happy to follow your instructions. My three in one will scan but can't print a document.

Thanks for your help

Friday, March 07, 2008 12:37 AM
  • THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!! So much, though it might not have helped the other person with there problem it did help me!

nlhamon~

Wednesday, March 26, 2008 6:57 PM
  • I too am running Vista on a Toshiba Qosmio, and once I installed SP1, I could no longer print.....I have gone through the obvious steps of going to services, trying to start the spooler by clicking start, checking its dependencies and making sure they were all started, I even deleted the printer drivers and "tried" to reinstall them but it will not let me.  The spooler file was clean......I'm running a brand new Canon Pixma MP530 multi function.  I had zero problems printing to it until the install.  I have a ticket in, they responded with everything I have already done, and have not gotten back to me again yet....the error I am getting is a 1297 error.  Thank goodness for thumb drives, but this is a PITA!  I do believe a patch of some sorts is in order.......

Thursday, April 17, 2008 6:52 PM
  • Even after following instructions to remove the Lexmark service, I still couldnt get the Print Spool to run. Finally I found the following information at http://members.shaw.ca/bsanders/CleanPrinterDrivers.htm and it actually worked!!! Die LexMark!

If you have a Lexmark printer, these additional steps may be necessary (thanks to Robert Orleth [MSFT] for providing this information).  The Lexmark printer installation process sometimes installs a service that makes the print spooler service dependent on itself.  If there is a problem with Lexmark service or a Lexmark printer driver (or you removed it using the steps above), the print spooler service may not start (see also http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;324757).  The steps below make the print spooler service only dependent on the Remote Procedure Call (RPC) service (RPCSS), which is normal.  The print spooler service dependencies are stored in the registry at

HKEY_LOCAL_MACINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Spooler\DependOnService

The sc config command at step 16 resets the value of that entry.

1. Open a Command Prompt window

2. key the command
             sc config spooler depend= RPCSS

(note the space after the = but not before)

3. restart the print spooler (see steps 8 and 9 above)

Tuesday, July 01, 2008 8:59 PM
  • What if you dont have a Lexmark?  As stated above, I have a new Canon Pixma and am running Vista on one of my wireless machines....and Microsoft blames Toshiba and Toshiba blames Microsoft and I am getting no where fast....its been like this for months....so I have to print things from my XP machines.....I really dont want to reformat.....

Sunday, July 06, 2008 4:44 PM
  •  

Hello there

i have tried the advice above but the responce i get when i try and start is "could not start the print spooler service on local computer. Error2,the system cannot find the file specified.

What can i do???

i really need some help

could you call me on 07890984209 or 01720423060 or 01720422940 and ask for ben

kind regards

ben bird

Wednesday, August 20, 2008 2:51 PM
  • I am also having problems  No printers are being found and "print spool service is not running"  is displayed

when I go to the service directory to locate print spool service it is mising from the directory any suggestions

This all happened after I downloaded XPsp3  before then everything worked fine.  Thanks for any help

Tuesday, August 26, 2008 11:38 PM
  • When I go into the Services snap in I can not find the print spooler.  ??  What do I do then?  Thank you for your help.

Friday, September 19, 2008 12:34 AM
  • This fix worked, but it was only temporary.  What do I have to do so I don't have to keep going through this process in order to print?  It's pretty annoying and I even "fixed" the dependent service too.  Is there a patch or hotfix available to fix this issue.=?  More importantly, what is causing it?  Missing dlls?  What?  THANK YOU!

Wednesday, October 22, 2008 12:26 AM
  • I tried that and it said that my print spool has no dependencies,yet when I try to start it in properties it says it wont start because of its dependancy. Any suggestions?

Sunday, October 26, 2008 11:04 PM
  •  Jason Gerend - MSFT wrote:

You can start the Print Spooler using the following procedure:

I hope that this helps,

It doesn't help error 1068
    Friday, October 31, 2008 9:25 AM
  • I have a laptop and a desktop using WI FI --- when I print on the desktop the printer works when I print on the laptop nothing happens.  I went to control panel and the default printer is selected when I right click on it and go to Properties I get the message that the print spool service not running.  I went to the adminstrative services folder checked all dependencies, they are all started and on automaticl.  Can you please help me?

Thursday, November 06, 2008 5:17 AM
  •  

My print spool is not working
    Sunday, November 09, 2008 9:24 PM
  • Thank you thank you thank you.  I've had a long weekend of things going wrong and I thought this was going to take most of the night but your instructions were easy.

Monday, November 17, 2008 5:55 AM
  •  Jason Gerend - MSFT wrote:

Hi Kimber,

I hope that this helps!

Friday, November 21, 2008 1:18 AM
  • i keep getting the message that the print spool service is not running. i opened the properties in the print spool service and made sure that all the information was correct and restarted the service and I still get the message that it is not running. Any advice would be appreciated.
    Friday, December 05, 2008 6:14 PM
  • I appreciated the info but I tried this and it still is not working.
    Friday, December 05, 2008 6:51 PM
  • Jason Gerend - MSFT said:

You can start the Print Spooler using the following procedure:

I hope that this helps,

It needs to be remembered that LexMark is a dog of a totally different species and cannot be treated the same as other printers.

Lexmark Printers install a service that becomes a DEPENDENCY of the Print Spooler (Service LexbceS) - A state that is not normal, other printers do not do this, Lexmark alone installs this kind of service.

What we need to know, is how to remove these DEPENDENCIES? You got any idea how? Maybe someone posted the correct answer down below but I have not seen it yet...

If I find the right solution I'll link it or post it, it seems to me I have had to deal with this before, and I simply forget how to fix it... I think the Lexmark website may have a solutiuon for this.

Ah yes, Alilmagick has it, that's what I saw. That's it, it worked:

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
    (C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\Admin>sc config spooler depend= RPCSS
    [SC] ChangeServiceConfig SUCCESS

C:\Documents and Settings\Admin>

Now the Print spooler started, Thanx Alimagic and Robert Orleth - That is the solution, if the print spooler won't start after switching from a Lexmark printer to an HP or other, first you got to remove the LexbceS:

C:\Documents and Settings\Admin>sc delete LexbceS

and then immediately type this:

C:\Documents and Settings\Admin>sc config spooler depend= RPCSS

And then go and restart the Print Spooler!

Note: There is an apparent Virus called LexBce, I've only ever seen it once, but it is not the same as the service LexMark installs.

Saturday, January 24, 2009 9:17 PM
  • OMG!!! I tried this and it WORKED!!! THANK YOU SO MUCH!!! I HAVE BEEN WORKING ON THIS FOR 2-3 DAYS. What a RELIEF!!!
    Tuesday, February 15, 2011 4:10 AM
  • Thanks buddy...
    Monday, March 14, 2011 5:36 AM
  • Thanks Jason. My problem solved :)
    Wednesday, April 06, 2011 5:01 PM
  • Hi, I have tried both all of the above selections.  When I go back to Printers and click on my installed printer, I get the same message.  So I go back to the Services, etc. and "Start" is no longer there.  Any further suggestions?   I thought I would try to add a printer, but get the same message.  Thanks.
    Sunday, May 08, 2011 7:40 PM
  • Friday, June 24, 2011 12:07 PM
  • Jason, i want to just thank you for your expertise in fixing my print spooler problelm. My printer is now working thanks to your answer...You are the bomb. Again Thank You.
    Sunday, September 11, 2011 2:38 AM
  • Jason,

I have been trying to figure this out for weeks.  I read your instructions and it worked.  Thank you... Thank you... Thank you...

My children thank you.  They have homework assignments that they have been going elsewhere to print.

Renee-

Monday, September 12, 2011 1:29 AM
  • This problem has just started on one of the work PC's, your solution worked an absolute treat, thanks for the info.
    Tuesday, April 17, 2012 10:17 AM
  • Also for those who have had a printer all of a sudden cannot be accessed because the spooler won't stay on I have another fix for you. Go into your windows\system32\spool\printer and delete the files there. Should be a .shd file I believe and another one that'll probably have the same name. I'd create a copy of the files just to be safe and store them somehwere before deleting them. After they are deleted, go into your services or into command prompt and use the net start spooler command. It should stay started this time.
    This truly works
    John
    • Proposed as answer by dExplorer Tuesday, July 31, 2012 8:08 PM
    Tuesday, July 31, 2012 8:08 PM
  • From jeff gabe,    Thanks Jason,  all is good now.  I think  "system Mechanic" turned those features off without my knoweledge
    Saturday, September 29, 2012 12:09 AM
  • I get    could not start print spooler service on local computer.  

Error 2: the system can not find the file specified

Thursday, March 07, 2013 7:44 PM
  • Jason your information has stopped me spending anymore hours of trying to fix my printer! you are so clever thankyou so much!
    Thursday, May 16, 2013 3:23 PM
  • Thanks, those steps are helpful and my problem solved

Monday, December 30, 2013 1:44 PM
  • Hi Jason.

I've tried your receipe to start the Print Spooler. And the most interesting thing is that all the Service that Print Spooler is depending on is live and kicking. I can start the print spooler but it's stops agin within 10 sec. And I also have the same problem on a another computer trying to access the same printer. I'm running W7 with SP1, and the other computer is running Windows Vista SP2. The printer is a HP Color LaserJet CM2320nf MFP.

Please help me :-)!

rgs Stormstein

Tuesday, January 28, 2014 6:57 PM
  • Thank you for Help...
    Wednesday, March 05, 2014 12:30 AM
  • Wooooowww..Awesome dude!!! It worked great for me. Thanks alot for the help man. You are great
    Wednesday, May 14, 2014 6:33 AM