none
Windows 7 Defrag Problem

Question

• I run Windows Defragmenter manually once a month and after it's done I always get 0% fragmented.

However, I ran it yesterday and I got this result:

C: 0% fragmented

Recovery D: 0% fragmented

System: 5% fragmented

I would like to know why my System is 5% fragmented. I use a Compaq laptop and had it for about a year, running on Windows 7, 32-bit. I did a disk check prior to the defrag.

• Moved by Carey FrischMVP, Moderator Monday, January 31, 2011 9:57 AM Moved to relevant forum category (From:Windows 7 Miscellaneous)
    • Edited by Mkwong Monday, January 31, 2011 11:04 AM wrong grammar
    Monday, January 31, 2011 1:59 AM

Answers

• I run Windows Defragmenter manually once a month and after it's done I always get 0% fragmented.

I would like to know why my System is 5% fragmented. I use a Compaq laptop and had it for about a year, running on Windows 7, 32-bit. I did a disk check prior to the defrag.

Hi,

Those are system files -- they can't be defragmented with the built-in because they are in use.

To defrag those you need a third party defrag program that can do a boot time defrag.

There was a recent Top 10 Reviews side-by-side comparison of the best defrag programs available. Check it out.

The better defrag programs are automatic and the top placers in the above review can defrag while using the PC.

The top placer (Diskeeper) was the only defrag program that prevented fragmentation (see the review).

It's worth defragmenting the system files as fragmentatin of those can lead to freezes, blue screens, low performance, slower boot times, etc.

Good luck!

Friday, June 10, 2011 6:18 PM

All replies

• I am having the same problem. I use a HP laptop and have also had it for about a year the only thing diffrent is I am running 64 bit and I get the result that my system is 1% fragmented.
    Monday, January 31, 2011 2:35 AM
  • Mkwong wrote:

>I run Windows Defragmenter manually once a month and have after it's done I always get 0% fragmented.

>However, I ran it yesterday and I got this result:
    >
    >C: 0% fragmented
    >
    >Recovery D: 0% fragmented
    >
    >System: 5% fragmented
    >
    >I would like to know why my System is 5% fragmented. I use a Compaq laptop and had it for about a year, running on Windows 7, 32-bit. I did a disk check prior to the defrag.

They are most likely unmovable files.  Have you erased all the
    restore points you don't need?  Did you delete the page file
    before de fragmenting?  See here:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314834 to delete it automatically
    every time you shut down.

to delete it once, then remember to re-enable after another pass
    of the  defragmenter.

Also, if you have a SSD (solid state drive) there is no need to
    defrag, in fact it's bad for the drive.

-- G. Morgan
    Monday, January 31, 2011 4:09 AM
  • Consider using a robust, full-featured program such as PerfectDisk.
    Carey Frisch
    Monday, January 31, 2011 9:56 AM
  • I have erased a lot of things with Norton Utilities 14 including temporary files. I have also done a disk clean.

I don't see the need to delete page files at this point.  When I start up my computer and it loads with no programs like Word running in the background, the totaling page file size for all drives is 3038MB. My laptop has 4GB RAM (2.97 GB usable), 500GB HDD.

I am not sure if I have a SSD. My guess is no. I have a Compaq Presario CQ-35.

Monday, January 31, 2011 11:11 AM
  • Did you try another defragmenter?  This one is free and works: http://www.filehippo.com/download_defraggler/

-- G. Morgan
    Sunday, February 13, 2011 3:51 AM

Hi,

Those are system files -- they can't be defragmented with the built-in because they are in use.

To defrag those you need a third party defrag program that can do a boot time defrag.

There was a recent Top 10 Reviews side-by-side comparison of the best defrag programs available. Check it out.

The better defrag programs are automatic and the top placers in the above review can defrag while using the PC.

The top placer (Diskeeper) was the only defrag program that prevented fragmentation (see the review).

It's worth defragmenting the system files as fragmentatin of those can lead to freezes, blue screens, low performance, slower boot times, etc.

Good luck!

Friday, June 10, 2011 6:18 PM
  • The Ultradefrag has an option to defrag pagefile and registry hives like the old sysinternals-pagefrag did.

It is also very fast at defragging your hd volumes and has a good interface to show you what it is doing.

Here is the link: http://sourceforge.net/projects/ultradefrag/files/ultradefrag/ultradefrag-4.4.0/

If you have 64-bit Intel or AMD processor, make sure you download this one:

ultradefrag-4.4.0.bin.amd64.exe

For 32-bit download this one:

ultradefrag-4.4.0.bin.i386.exe

The "portable" versions do not install the ability to defrag system files on bootup.

Dan Randolph
    Friday, November 25, 2011 5:35 AM