none
Vista x64 SP1 Bluescreen on PCIIDEX.sys

Question

•  

Installed Vista x64 SP1 from Windows update and got BSOD on first reboot with PCIIDEX.sys error. Wonderful. Same error I got with RC0 which pushed me to reformat and reinstall.

I don't suppose anyone has a fix for this?

Wednesday, March 19, 2008 2:33 PM

Answers

• This issue has been resolved.

The motherboard in question is an Abit AT8-32X which has an ATI 580 Northbridge and ULi Southbridge.

The root of the problem was the ULI southbridge. There have been no updates to it or the BIOS for my motherboard since 2005, including the one in the kb posted earlier in the thread.

The solution was to go into the BIOS and completely disable the ULi controller and move my boot drives to the secondary Silicon Image SATA controller. Once done the SP1 install completed without issue.

When that was complete I installed an additional PCI based SATA controller which has three more hard drives and a SATA DVD-RW drive.

The current solution for people with ULi controllers is to install and configure a supported SATA controller prior to SP1 install, or skip SP1.

Thursday, March 20, 2008 3:35 PM

All replies

• You need to install the latest BIOS update for your motherboard.

BIOS manufacturers should not clear the IDE Decode Enable bit in the _STM ACPI method

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/913379

Wednesday, March 19, 2008 2:41 PM
  • unfortunately, the most recent bios for my motherboard is nearly 2 years old. Disabling IDE doesn't fix the problem, and it's not like I can disable SATA either.

Wednesday, March 19, 2008 3:16 PM
  • This issue has been resolved.

The motherboard in question is an Abit AT8-32X which has an ATI 580 Northbridge and ULi Southbridge.

The root of the problem was the ULI southbridge. There have been no updates to it or the BIOS for my motherboard since 2005, including the one in the kb posted earlier in the thread.

The solution was to go into the BIOS and completely disable the ULi controller and move my boot drives to the secondary Silicon Image SATA controller. Once done the SP1 install completed without issue.

When that was complete I installed an additional PCI based SATA controller which has three more hard drives and a SATA DVD-RW drive.

The current solution for people with ULi controllers is to install and configure a supported SATA controller prior to SP1 install, or skip SP1.

Thursday, March 20, 2008 3:35 PM