No Metro apps will open

Question

• Hi

I am using Windows 8 Release Preview, all my apps are not opening. Thanks.

Thanks.

Thursday, July 05, 2012 10:24 AM

All replies

• Hi

What happens when you try to open them, do they just close immediately?  Have you got the best driver for your graphics card that is currently available?

Steve

Thursday, July 05, 2012 10:34 AM
  • the issues happen in metro tiles?

Try to open task manager > app history and if compare into the list double click over the name.

Try to see the event viewer if report errors.

Roberto Pallucchini
    *** Please mark as Answer, if this reply helps you ***
    *** Per favore Suggerisci come risposta, se la risposta ti è stata di aiuto ***

Thursday, July 05, 2012 12:52 PM
  • What is your screen resolution set to?
    Thursday, July 05, 2012 2:10 PM
  • Hi

I am using Windows 8 Release Preview, all my apps are not opening. Thanks.

Thanks.

Hi

There is a new troubleshooter available that can detect and fix most of the common issues that prevent apps from operating properly. 

http://download.microsoft.com/download/F/2/4/F24D0C03-4181-4E5B-A23B-5C3A6B5974E3/apps.diagcab

Download the file to your Desktop and double click to run.

Let us know what you find.

Regards

Thursday, July 05, 2012 6:27 PM
  • hi,

Below are error list from the event viewer.

1. Activation of app microsoft.windowscommunicationsapps_8wekyb3d8bbwe!Microsoft.WindowsLive.Calendar failed with error: The system cannot find the file specified. See the Microsoft-Windows-TWinUI/Operational log for additional informat.

2. App Microsoft.Camera_8wekyb3d8bbwe!Microsoft.Camera did not launch within its allotted time.

3. Activation of app Microsoft.Camera_8wekyb3d8bbwe!Microsoft.Camera failed with error: The system cannot find the file specified. See the Microsoft-Windows-TWinUI/Operational log for additional information.

Friday, July 06, 2012 4:32 AM
  • my screen resolution is 1366 x 768.
    Friday, July 06, 2012 4:33 AM
  • The errors that you have listed when happens? when you start which app?

have you tryed to use the troubleshooter mentioned by Ronnie?

http://download.microsoft.com/download/F/2/4/F24D0C03-4181-4E5B-A23B-5C3A6B5974E3/apps.diagcab

Roberto Pallucchini
    *** Please mark as Answer, if this reply helps you ***
    *** Per favore Suggerisci come risposta, se la risposta ti è stata di aiuto ***

Friday, July 06, 2012 12:29 PM
  • No Metro apps will open

Sounds like a good time to revive that ancient computer saying:  That's not a bug, that's a feature!

:)

Just kidding.  Good luck getting all the toys working again.

-Noel

Detailed how-to in my eBooks:  

Configure The Windows 7 "To Work" Options
    Configure The Windows 8 "To Work" Options

Friday, July 06, 2012 1:39 PM
  • I was having similar issues, and I finally found the root cause on my machine.  I had Raptr running.  when you close out of that, everything started working again.  I'm not sure if this is your cause, but I hope it helps.

Even if this isn't your root cause, it shows that this can be caused by outside software, not jut drivers or MS software.  Kill off any background apps one by one and see if it starts working.  if it does, you likely found your culprit.
    Sunday, August 26, 2012 9:18 PM