64GB SSD Operating System drive

1TB Storage 

Recently installed 2TB WD Black Caviar drive

AMD 6950 HD

8GB Corsair Dominator 

Intel i5 3570k Ivybridge

Asus p8z77-v lx

Corsair TX750M PSU

So my problem is this, I recently installed a 2TB Westerndigital Harddrive and for the first day everything seemed fine, but starting from I encountered for lack of a better word glitching/flickering on both of my screens while playing Diablo 3 which I had recently transfered over to this new drive at the same time I was watching a program on netflix via my second screen, shortly after the flickering began the system locked up and both screens went black, leaving me no option but to cut power and reboot.

I am currently running a disk check on my 2TB drive and did a precursive check of temperatures around my PC which seemed nominal. I was hoping people could suggest possible causes of this issue. It should be noted that since restarting the PC all I have been running is 4 tabs on chrome on one screen and netflix once again on the other screen and while the flickering has happened once, it was brief and hasn't happened again. 

I am willing to provide any information needed to help solve this issue and thank you in advance to anyone who provides assistance!

Thursday, August 29, 2013 12:47 PM

All replies

• Apologies for the tiny font... not entirely sure why it has done that... So I'll recopy it bellow for anyone struggling to read it :)

So my problem is this, I recently installed a 2TB Westerndigital Harddrive and for the first day everything seemed fine, but starting from today I encountered for lack of a better word glitching/flickering on both of my screens while playing Diablo 3 which I had recently transferred over to this new drive at the same time I was watching a program on netflix via my second screen, shortly after the flickering began the system locked up and both screens went black, leaving me no option but the cut power and reboot.

I am currently running and disk check on my 2TB drive and did a precursive check of temperatures around my PC which seemed nominal. I was hoping people could suggest possible causes of this issue. It should be noted that since restarting the PC all I have been running is 4 tabs on chrome on one screen and netflix once again on the other screen and while the flickering has happened once, it was brief and hasn't happened again.

I am willing to provide any information needed to help solve this issue and thank you in advance to anyone who provides assistance!

Thursday, August 29, 2013 12:53 PM
  • I would guess you installing a new HD has nothing to do with your problem.

It seems more a gfx driver problem that happened after the installation of Diablo 3 (nice) or some other program.

Have you installed the latest graphics drivers?

Don't forget about Alt+Esc!

Thursday, August 29, 2013 12:56 PM
  • I have not recently installed any GPU drivers, but will have a look for the latest versions.

It should be noted that Diablo 3 has been installed on my PC for at least a year now. In fact everything that was running had been on my PC for at least 6 months. Thank you for your response though, each one gets us closer to solving the problem =)

Thursday, August 29, 2013 1:04 PM
  • Hi,

This issue can be caused by third part conflict, incompatible components or corrupted files:

At this point, I suggest we fist update the Netflix to the latest version for Windows 7 if there is it.

Then, if the issue still persists, please test in Clean boot Mode:

How to perform a clean boot to troubleshoot a problem in Windows 8, Windows 7, or Windows Vista

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135   

If the issue doesn’t appear, you can determine which one can be the cause by using dichotomy in MSconfig. Checking on half of Non-Microsoft service and restart, determining which half of the services cause the issue and repeating to check half of the problematic half services.

If the issue still persists in Clean boot mode, please help to post the event log and minidump file here for further research:

Please upload them to a file sharing service like Skydrive or "Rapidshare" and put a link to them in your reply.

Link for how to  upload below.

http://www.wikihow.com/Use-SkyDrive

To ensure minidumps are enabled, refer to the step “Configure the dump type” in following article:

How to read the small memory dump file that is created by Windows if a crash occurs

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315263#method2

Look forward to your response.

Kate Li

TechNet Community Support

Friday, August 30, 2013 9:20 AM
  • Hi Kate,

Thank you very much for your reply, unfortunately I am unable to find any minidump files and I believe they are usually stored in the system root folder. I do how ever have a copy of my administrative events uploaded to skydrive here.

https://skydrive.live.com/#cid=0017033A582C03B2&id=17033A582C03B2%21144

I recently experienced the issue again and to put more context into the matter, it looked as though the application I was running at the time "League of Legends" wrapped around the display and lost its position so that the left hand border of the full screen game was about a third of the way across my screen with the rest of the game wrapping round and following it. It then led to the game splitting over to my other screen before eventually the PC stopped responding and I was forced to power it down.

Also the applications I am running are all located on my recently purchased 2TB WD Black Caviar Hard drive, which leads me to further suspect it being the cause.

My sincerest thanks, Moss

• Edited by MossG Monday, September 02, 2013 10:53 PM Additional Info
    Monday, September 02, 2013 10:25 PM
  • Hi, 

Have you tried to test the issue in Clean boot mode as I suggested before?

Also, I truly recommend you update your graphic driver to see what's going on. 

In addition, please run Disk checker to see if there is any error in your new HDD: 

Right click command prompt and run as administrator, type CHKDSK /R /F.

If the issue still persists, please help to collect the system information for further research: 

Open System Information by clicking the Start button. In the search box, type System Information, and then, in the list of results, click System Information.  You can save System Information in the TXT file format by clicking File, clicking Export, typing a name for the file, and then clicking Save.

Keep post.

Kate Li

TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, September 10, 2013 3:31 AM