none
Windows Media Player 12 constant freezing and jumping?

Question

• Yo,

After everything else being painless with Windows 7, I decided to check out WMP12. At first it worked fine, however, I then decided to add media to my library. I added the folder I wanted (which has about 10gb's of music), thats when the problems began. I thought it was going to add everything in the manner of WMP11, where you could select whether to load it in the background or not, and of course I was wrong. The program now does nothing but freeze and jump in songs, and even after leaving the program on over night, it has maybe gotten half of my music collection added. Every time I attempt to remove the folder, the program freezes and I am stuck there begging it to close. It often refuses to close from the taskmanager process window as well.

Am I the only one experiencing an absolute horrid result from WMP12?

Hope this can become more solid as time passes.

Sunday, January 11, 2009 4:42 AM

Answers

All replies

• I am getting a similar problem when it comes with viewing videos streamed over my internal network...
    So far attempting to watch an episode of house over mediaplayer i have experienced the following issues...
    1. When adding a folder to playlist that contains mulitple files it freezes up most of the time and takes up to 5 minutes to queue all files
    2. When attempting to select individual file it freezes up before starting the queue
    3. When attempting to skip around in file it sometimes freezes up
    4. Unable to resume from position after wakeup from sleep. Have to reopen the episode and then skip in it (which usually takes around 5 minutes due to all the freezing)
    5. Sometimes all controls freeze and the screen greys out, but audio is still running in background
    6. sometimes it started jittering or going into slow motion while playing

All of this occurs over an internal G network running off a linksys wrt54gs running ddwrt with independing qos settings and had no issues in WMP11 in vista, or in WMP10 in XP... Server is a modified P4 with large amounts of dedicated bandwidth setup inside the router. Computer running Windows 7 is a dell e1505 core 2 duo T5600 with Radeon x1400 in both wireless g and hardwired. Laptop was designed to run with vista.

Hope this helps to let people know if they are experiencing this problem it isnt their computer
    Sunday, January 11, 2009 6:36 AM
  • I'm having a similar issue; audio playback is jumpy and only a small portion of my media library came in the first time.. after a reboot, the rest of the library came in ok, but still playback stutter issue exists.
    Tuesday, January 13, 2009 1:12 AM
  • I am having the issue. My CPU usage is about 60% MP12. Also, when I try to close MP process wmplayer.exe keeps running in the background and will not stop unless I end task. Then I can restart MP. It is freezing on adding libraries such as Public/Music. Tried to disassociate and readd folders and this did not help. kb fix for mp3's has been applied.
    Open it before you eat it.
    Thursday, January 22, 2009 7:02 PM
  • has there been any fix for WM12 crashing? my WM12 would crash and it would stop responding then i would end task which wouldnt allow WM12 to start up until next reboot. :/
    my M1530 -C2D 1.66 ghz t5450 -200gb hitachi 7200 rpm (upgraded from 160gb 5400rpm) -4gb dual channel ram (upgraded from 2gb) -Vista Ultimate service pack 2 -1280x800 lcd screen -8400m GS 128mb GDDR3 OC'ed Core 650 mhz l Mem 950 mhz l Shader 1400 mhz
    Thursday, January 22, 2009 9:18 PM
  • I haven't seen any fixes as of yet. I've switched over to Winamp, which seems to work fine on Windows 7 x64 and x32.
    Thursday, January 22, 2009 10:59 PM
  • WMP12 video playback is awful , have loaded VLC for now until resloved
    Friday, January 23, 2009 10:29 PM
  • I have been haveing the same problem, but only when I added my 9.6 GB library to WMP.  There is definitely a corrolation between the two.
    Friday, February 06, 2009 3:39 AM
  • I'm also experiencing a lot of issues with WMP12.

It often crashes when I'm loading my "4 Stars" playlist... and always when I use the jumplist to start the program directly playing the playlist (it's an excellent feature, but it doesn't work... ALWAYS crash).

I really wish they would bring back the dedicated searching for media as an alternative to search in the background, especially when you run the program the first time, so that you can be sure that it has actually loaded all media files into the program - and take proper action if some files haven't.

I think there are a lot of good enhancements and ideas in WMP12, but it definitly needs a lot of bug-testing and fine-tuning. The most buggy experience in Windows 7 by far.
    Friday, February 06, 2009 7:51 AM
  • I am using Windows 7 and like Media Center, except when I try to play music or avi movies over my personal wireless network everything freezes every few seconds.

My only solution at the moment is to transfer the files over first.
    Saturday, March 14, 2009 3:54 AM
  • I'll add my vote to the list. I have about 15K MP3 files and 4000 JPGs. Everyday or so, either WMP or WMC freeze. Often when closed down via TM, the database will rebuild itself on reopening. Its maddening since this process can take 5 or 6 hours. Surely there must be a better way to deal with an emergency shutdown. Perhaps have a backup copy of the database the way that Word and Excel offer you old copies of files when there is a problem. It's embarrassing for all involved when you have a group of people over and are listening to music or watching a video or slideshow and things go kaput. You can't just restart things because there is no database. You just resort to some other software or hardware and offer a derisive apology for MS and its software. Didn't used to be this way.

BH
    Tuesday, April 14, 2009 8:42 PM
  • Same here, CPU spikes for the WMP12 exe and every few minutes it skips. Never had this issue with previou versions. Also WMPNTWRK shows up with 30-40% CPU usage every few minutes - even when not using WMP12. Anyone know how to stop it?
    Wednesday, June 03, 2009 4:19 AM
  • I too am having problems. Mine occurs when trying to play an avchd file from my camcorder. It will play the file to the end and freeze. It also will not allow control during playback.
    Wednesday, June 10, 2009 8:59 PM
  • How could MS overlook this issue in the first place? If I knew about this issue I wouldn't have deleted my old library that had no issues with WMP11&12. Just moved my files around and thought to better reindex everything - now WMP12 brings the whole system down and freezes to h e l l (what is wrong with this word?!)... This is reproducable on 2 computers with the same amount of music.
    Is MS not caring about those issues?
    Sticking with the Zune software right now, which is nice and all but missing some critical features for me - search result views suck compared to WMP and there is no way to add results to the now playing list which is really lame - also you cannot add songs from explorer to the now playing list - drag and drop from other apps? no way...
    GRiNSER from austria :-)
    Friday, February 12, 2010 12:06 PM
  • WMP 12 has a lot of issues that will be sorted out hopefully in d RTM version of Windows 7, coz i am experiencing a lot of problems with it...
    Tuesday, August 10, 2010 12:58 PM
  • i have a similar problem WMP12 has to reload my music libary on every time after my computer reboots and my music is jumpy but VLC is not and i like using media player
    Tuesday, August 17, 2010 1:49 PM
  • I experience this problem only when i open wmp in windows 7 enterprise, but it works jus fine in all the other SKU's!!!!! dunno wat is d prob.
    Tuesday, August 24, 2010 11:42 AM
  • the crash of wmp 12 also locks up the computer, have to force reboot....sigh...who can help me~~~~thanks~~
    Saturday, December 11, 2010 5:57 PM
  • It seems to be a real issue with WMP 12 not playing back video properly. It works well at times, but some shows seem to hang or go out of sync. The player is responsive in most cases, unless its in one of its skipping states. Best way I know to describe the issue is....your rolling along, watching a show then bam out of left field the video freezes and you can hear the sound trying to catch up to the video and the video stutters then quickly speeds up to try and go back in to sync. Once its goes into this stuttering state it continues to do it intermittently until either...

A. You move the scroll bar forward beyond the problem area (will continue to do it even after this)

B. Close media player out, and check task manager to make sure the process is really gone. Then reopen it, but who wants to do that!

At first I thought it was due to x64 bit, or some other running program such as a memory hogging facebook game or some other online program like yahoo or utorrent causing the hard drive to become over active. Those don't seem to be it though as it will do it with nothing running at all! My next guess was that the player database had some how gotten corrupted as my video library is massive with 3.5 TB of stored TV shows and other things. So I reloaded the whole thing, that takes some time. It didn't fix it either, so I looked at the stored data itself and found some damaged video files and replaced them. Still did it, and I was like "why Microsoft why can't you do anything right!?" I mean I got to point the finger of blame at someone, its human nature to want to blame something else for the problem.  With all signs pointing to an error free file system and no malware/viruses at play it should be kickin ass right?....No.  So now my troubleshooting has led me to the currently unfixable problem of internal codecs or poor video encoding techniques by the makers of the shows. (the shows are in HD and some in 4:3 ratio and very clear...better than TV, why they don't playback right I'm still working on it)

I know WMP12 can't do flv or mkv natively but I don't use those formats anyway. If a show is in those formats I convert them over to h264 or avi format. So after looking at all the obvious problems, the only conclusion I can draw is that the in house codecs provided by MS are flawed and can not do what other 3rd party media players can do on their own.

Here's a tip MS, look at your 3rd party competition, their doing something your not, and theirs' is working better. Want to stay in business in this failing economy? Then you better shape up your game plan or prepare to go stand in the handout lines with the rest of us.

If I ever find a definitive answer for this issue I'll be sure to post my findings here.

The only thing left after all the other troubleshooting is that I have a damaged hard drive, but I don't think so as there all brand new, less than a year old. The file system is defraged using Diskeeper 2010 and i even turned off its auto defrag mode thinking it may be trying to defrag the shows as I watched them, The problem still exists.

Monday, April 25, 2011 8:35 PM
  • Finally think I figured it out. The wmpnetwk.exe file seems to be the problem, I stopped its service and it has stopped freezing up on video playback. That service is necessary only if you share media to multiple computers over a wireless network. Not sure how it will affect the Homegroup with that service turned off. I don't share media to any other system so there is no reason to have the Windows Media Player Network Sharing service running.

• Edited by Britton Burton Wednesday, April 27, 2011 12:04 AM spelling errors
    Wednesday, April 27, 2011 12:03 AM
  • That wasn't the problem either, so scratch that idea. I took my case apart to see if it was a problem with the cooling fan on the video card. It was pretty dirty with dust and the heat sink wasn't able to breathe. Cleaned it up, hasn't skipped any yet. If this don't fix it then I give up.
    Wednesday, April 27, 2011 6:43 PM