Matshita UJ-850S Driver Problem

Question

• I've very recently bought a Toshiba laptop computer with Matshita UJ-850S CD/DVD RW drive and Windows Vista Home Edition

the problem is this :

Windows Vista cannot find the driver or the driver is corrupt for Matshita UJ-850S

I've been working on this problems for 3 hours now only to find out that other people are having similar problems with

CD Rom drives by Matshita

SOMEBODY PLEASE COME UP WITH A SOLUTION FOR THIS!!

MS, PANASONIC, TOSHIBA.......ANYONE!!

Thursday, July 19, 2007 10:45 PM

Answers

• THIS IS INTENDED TO WORK WITH VISTA.

NO NEED TO ALTER YOUR REGISTRY, THIS IS THE DIRECT PATH VIA MICROSOFT FOR THE ACTUAL DRIVERS. THIS WORKS FOR OTHER CD/DVD DEVICES.

I found the resolution to the Matshita DVD-Ram UJ-850s ATA Device Drivers and it works for many other device driver issues. This works for Microsoft Vista Home Premium Please follow directions carefully or either the Read or the Write of you device will not work. In order for this to work - (YOU WILL NEED A BLANK DVD AND A FULL DVD WITH SOME KIND OF PROGRAM ON IT) http://support.microsoft.com/fixit#tab2

Click (or copy and paste) the link above to begin the process. Click on the first option Your CD/DVD drive cannot read or write media in Windows Vista. Click on the big “RUN NOW” button to the right, then select “Continue” when your computer asks your permission. Then Select Detect problems and apply the fixes for me (Recommended). It gives you two options “Read a CD/DVD and Write a CD/DVD” you will need to run both options separately once for each issue you’re having with your hardware. You will see your device listed, click on your device. It will ask you for a disc. For the Read part of it, you need to insert a DVD Disc with something on it such as a program, of any kind. Insert the disc and click on your device.

NOTE: If you forget to insert a full DVD Disc your DVD Device door will pop out, then you will be forced to insert a DVD disc with a program on it. The program will continue and configure your DVD device. After it completes return back to the first page where it says “RUN NOW”. Click on “RUN NOW’ again and follow the same steps. When you see the screen with the two options “Read a CD/DVD and Write a CD/DVD” and “Write a CD/DVD”, this time select “Write a CD/DVD” option.

NOTE: IT IS VERY IMPORTANT THAT YOU INSERT A BLANK DVD IN ORDER TO COMPLETE THIS PROCESS. The program is configuring the write portion and it needs to be able to write on the blank DVD in order to complete the process. Then follow the rest of the steps and complete the process.

THAT’S IT !!! Congratulations, you can now use 100% of you DVD device.
    Please feel free to contact me with any questions or comments.
    AND YOU CAN BACK UP THESE DRIVERS IN CASE YOU NEED THEM AGAIN LATER
    Sincerely Skeeter
    Skeeter.Gz@live.com

Sunday, March 21, 2010 1:34 AM
  •                                                                     ***** NO NEED TO ALTER YOUR REGISTRY *****
    Altering your Registry can cause SERIOUS AND PERMANANT DAMAGE to your computer unless you've had some kind of education with this process THIS IS THE DIRECT PATH VIA MICROSOFT FOR THE ACTUAL DRIVERS.

THIS WORKS FOR OTHER DVD DEVICES ALSO.

I found the resolution to the Matshita DVD-Ram UJ-850s ATA Device Drivers and it works for many other device driver issues. This works for Microsoft Vista Home Premium Please follow directions carefully or either the Read or the Write of you device will not work. In order for this to work - (YOU WILL NEED A BLANK DVD AND A FULL DVD WITH SOME KIND OF PROGRAM ON IT) http://support.microsoft.com/fixit#tab2 Click (or copy and paste) the link above to begin the process. Click on the first option Your CD/DVD drive cannot read or write media in Windows Vista. Click on the big “RUN NOW” button to the right, then select “Continue” when your computer asks your permission. Then Select Detect problems and apply the fixes for me (Recommended). It gives you two options “Read a CD/DVD and Write a CD/DVD” you will need to run both options separately once for each issue you’re having with your hardware. You will see your device listed, click on your device. It will ask you for a disc. For the Read part of it, you need to insert a DVD Disc with something on it such as a program, of any kind. Insert the disc and click on your device.

NOTE: If you forget to insert a full DVD Disc your DVD Device door will pop out, then you will be forced to insert a DVD disc with a program on it. The program will continue and configure your DVD device. After it completes return back to the first page where it says “RUN NOW”. Click on “RUN NOW’ again and follow the same steps. When you see the screen with the two options “Read a CD/DVD and Write a CD/DVD” and “Write a CD/DVD”, this time select “Write a CD/DVD” option.

NOTE: IT IS VERY IMPORTANT THAT YOU INSERT A BLANK DVD IN ORDER TO COMPLETE THIS PROCESS. The program is configuring the write portion and it needs to be able to write on the blank DVD in order to complete the process. Then follow the rest of the steps and complete the process. THAT’S IT !!! Congratulations, you can now use 100% of you DVD device. Please feel free to contact me with any questions or comments. AND YOU CAN BACK UP THESE DRIVERS IN CASE YOU NEED THEM AGAIN LATER
    Sincerely Skeeter Skeeter.Gz@live.com

Sunday, March 21, 2010 4:45 AM

All replies

• Matshita drives are absolutely terrible, I haven't seen or heard anything positive about them. If you just google Matshita you will see just how many people are having problems with them. Mine has just failed, and I'm not exactly surprised. At least I got a good 9 months out of mine. I'm one of the lucky ones. Toshiba should be ashamed.
    Monday, July 23, 2007 3:07 AM
  • The solution i am posting works perfectly for Acer laptops wiht Matshita UJ-850s. I have not tested it on Toshiba yet.

Method 1: Remove the registry entry

WARNING: Serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly by using Registry Editor or by using another method.

These problems might require that you reinstall your operating system. Microsoft cannot guarantee that these problems can be solved. Modify the registry at your own risk. Note If you had installed multiple CD-writing software products on your computer, you need to uninstall the software products before you remove the registry keys.

1. Click Start, and then click Run.
    2. In the Open box, type regedit, and then click OK.
    3. Locate and then click the following registry subkey:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/System/CurrentControlSet/Control/Class/{4d36e965-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}
    4. On the File menu, click Export.
    5. In the File name box, type savedkey, and then click Save.
    6. Click the REG_MULTI_SZ data type UpperFilters, and then click Delete on
    the Edit menu. When you are prompted to confirm the deletion, click Yes.

Note If this data type is missing, go to Method 2.
    7. Click the REG_MULTI_SZ data type LowerFilters, and then click Delete on
    8. Quit Registry Editor, and then restart the computer. 

Let us know if it does work for Toshiba too.

• Proposed as answer by Ideafix Saturday, January 03, 2009 1:57 PM
    Tuesday, July 24, 2007 8:24 PM
  • Thanks Da_nubie, tried this on toshiba satellite laptop, and works like a charm!!!!

plus you need to make sure stuff like ANYDVD is uninstalled too.
    • Proposed as answer by SkeeterGz Sunday, March 21, 2010 1:18 AM
    Wednesday, July 25, 2007 4:35 PM
  • I have an Acer Ferrari 4005 laptop running Window XP x 64 Pro.

After a recent automatic update from Microsoft, the driver for the

Matshita DVD-RAM UJ845S drive seemed to disappear and the drive was inoperable.

Acer support were quite unhelpful and I managed to eventually

come across this site. 

My greatful thanks to you, da_newbie for your fix as described in Method 1

IT WORKED PERFECTLY. Again my thanks. 

Saturday, July 28, 2007 2:14 PM
  • Worked exactly as described on Toshiba L35 s2366 2 month old computer barely used with a driver failure

Thanks for the solution

Shame on To***a and Mat***a

Sunday, August 05, 2007 10:01 PM
  • I have the same problem, but with Vista.  Using the same programs as with XP (and no problems there!).  I knew how to find "RUN" on XP, but cannot find such a thing on Vista, and the MS site does not list Vista in the applicable "Registry" products.

What is the applicable procedure?

• Proposed as answer by SkeeterGz Sunday, March 21, 2010 1:38 AM
    Friday, August 10, 2007 4:29 AM
  • Amazing!!  da_newbie is the man!!  I spent countless hours trying to figure out this UJ-850s piece of junk and your regedit did the trick on my Vaio VGN-FE880E with Windows Vista Home.  The drive stopped working after a reinstall of the OS.

Thanks! da_newbie
    Sunday, August 12, 2007 11:45 PM
  • Thanks DA_newbie!

I can confirm this works with a Toshiba Latitude with Vista premium edition. It gave me a code 37 error while latest driver was already installed.

Deleting upper filters did not work. I deleted lower filters also and it now works ok!

Thanks for sharing!
    • Proposed as answer by SkeeterGz Sunday, March 21, 2010 1:42 AM
    Thursday, August 16, 2007 8:02 AM
  • Your proceedure worked perfectly for me once I delted the 'Lower Filters' as well after I tried the first proceedure.

My Laptop running the MatSHITa BD-MLT UJ220v ATA  (blueray), on a Sony Vaio Laptop Model VGN-FZ 180E.

Hope this helps others as well as it helped me. 

• Proposed as answer by SkeeterGz Sunday, March 21, 2010 1:46 AM
    Saturday, August 18, 2007 12:25 PM
  • I can confim that these steps work like a charm too for Sony VIAO VGN-FE890 with Microsoft Windows Vista Ultimate Edition aswell for the UJ-850S.

Thanks for the fix.  Kudos To You!

• Proposed as answer by SkeeterGz Sunday, March 21, 2010 1:51 AM
    Sunday, August 19, 2007 8:04 AM
  • Hi!

Thanx a lot for your answer, the 1st method worked perfectly on my Sony VAIO VGN-FE880, the dvd-drive has lasted only 4 and 1/2 month on my laptop. thanx a lot keep up the great advices!

Sunday, August 19, 2007 3:18 PM
  • For vista users, you'll have to manually navigate to regedit.exe, which I beleive exists at either C:\Windows\regedit.exe or C:\Windows\System32\regedit.exe (maybe even C:\Windows\System\regedit.exe). Just click on it when you find it.

For 95, 98, and Me (16 bit) users, you can find regedit.exe at C:\Windows, i.e., C:\Windows\System32
    • Proposed as answer by SkeeterGz Sunday, March 21, 2010 2:06 AM
    Monday, August 20, 2007 12:47 PM
  • Hi da-Newbie

i tried the methods (on Toshiba laptop model H00) but couldn't see the upper & lower filters in the specified registry.

the drive reads the normal data files eg word files .doc, drawing files .dwg etc but doesn't read music CDs & some few other software installation CDs.

pl help.

regards, Batra

• Proposed as answer by SkeeterGz Sunday, March 21, 2010 2:13 AM
    Wednesday, August 22, 2007 3:31 AM
  •  

how about problems on an iqon laptop, the "regedit," dosent work in run

please help

Thursday, August 30, 2007 12:20 PM
  • I have a Sony VAIO (VGN-N365E/B) with Vista Home Premium. Your solution worked like a charm after I deleted the LowerFilters as well.

Thanks much!
    Saturday, September 01, 2007 8:52 PM
  • I bought a Sony Vaio VGN-SZ650N/C and I had a problem with Matshita DVD-RAM UJ-852S ATA device. I followed the steps provided here, deleted both Upper and Lower filters and it worked.

• Proposed as answer by rombatz Saturday, September 19, 2009 4:08 AM
    Sunday, September 02, 2007 5:48 PM
  • Thanks for the info. It help me with my toshiba I just bought three days ago. Had the same problem, but thank to you, it solved it. I deleted both the upperfilters and the lowerfilters. That solved the problem because when I just deleted the upperfilters it didn't do anything. So, if anybody has the same problem try deleting both. I have MATSHITA UJ-852S dvd ram.

Thanks again!!!!

Monday, September 03, 2007 9:36 AM
  • I've an AVERATEC 2300 and I tried to do your regedit change - 'cept the upper & lowerfilters weren't in the registery.  What now?  I'd hate to have to try and back everything up and reload the machine.

Sunday, September 09, 2007 10:34 PM
  • da_newbie-THANKS,THANKS,THANKS,!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just bought a new HP vista dv2000. Had the same problem as everyone else. emailed HP, they said take computer back. I saw you message and decided to try it. Worked like a charm. DVD's and CD's play. I teach. Can't be without notebook. You saved the day. GOD BLESS YOU!!

cldan

Monday, September 10, 2007 5:58 AM
  • seemed like a great solution, sounded like it helped other.  unforunately it didn't work on my sony vaio model n series.  maybe because i removed the origina vista os and installed xp instead.  any other advice or suggestions would be quite appreciated.  not groovin on not having a dvd/cd drive that doesn't work.
    Tuesday, September 11, 2007 4:51 AM
  • seemed like a great idea, & sounded like it worked for many.  tried it and didn't work on my sony vaio n series.  maybe because i removed the original vista os and installed win xp pro.  if any other suggestions would be most appreciated.
    • Proposed as answer by SkeeterGz Sunday, March 21, 2010 3:00 AM
    Tuesday, September 11, 2007 4:57 AM
  •  da_newbie

What is method 2? I have not found the REG_MULTI_SZ data type.

Thanks a lot from Brazil.

• Proposed as answer by SkeeterGz Sunday, March 21, 2010 2:55 AM
    Wednesday, September 12, 2007 7:19 PM
  • Thank you very much. It really works. I had a problem with a Vaio N230FH . I don´t know why but suddenly my dvd-cd stop working. I followed the 8 steps below and my dvd start working. I'm from Puebla, Mexico and my computer has Windows Vista Home edition. I never found a driver or something like that, but I found the solution here. Thank you.

Saturday, September 15, 2007 3:52 PM
  • da_newbie rocks!!! works on the first try!! rock on dude!!
    Sunday, September 16, 2007 1:43 PM
  •  

hello, I am trying to find these entries, using vista home premium in a toshiba notebook.... i found them, but there are a lot of entries containing both UpperFilters and LowerFilters. Example:

name: lowerfilters

type: REG_MULTI_SZ

data: NdisTapi

same with different data values: serial, LPCFilter, sffp_mmc etc etc

i do not know which one is the right one to delete.... any help here?

• Proposed as answer by SkeeterGz Sunday, March 21, 2010 2:45 AM
    Monday, September 17, 2007 12:09 AM
  • hello pocamil. I am not sure which toshiba you have but mine has vista home premium also. my toshiba model is satellite U305-S5097. if you follow the steps that da_newbie has in their posted entry. and also delete the both upper and lowerfilters should work. and restart the computer after that. it work for me. I hope that helps.

Tuesday, September 18, 2007 11:31 AM
  • You're lucky; I got a whole 23 days.

• Proposed as answer by SkeeterGz Sunday, March 21, 2010 2:50 AM
    Wednesday, September 19, 2007 12:35 AM
  • I contacted Acer about this problem, they said it has something to do with Vista's recent updates as well as XP updates. Microsoft has seen this problem and has offered a helpful hand in fixing this, here is a link:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314060

You will thank me later.

• Proposed as answer by Fakedeeps Monday, February 02, 2009 3:29 PM
    Wednesday, September 19, 2007 10:32 PM
  • I used this information after taking my hp laptop back to best buy. geeks did not really help me. thanks for the info. It worked.

Saturday, September 22, 2007 11:07 PM
  • The procedure works on my Vista business with Sony DVD RW AW-G170A ATA drive.

Thanks a lot da_newbie.

Sunday, September 23, 2007 12:14 PM

• Hi,
    My question is directed toward da_newbie..first of all THANK YOU for this genius move on your behalf.  After I have saved the key to my desktop and restarted my computer I tested to see if my drive was working and luckly it was!  My question is that do I delete that "savedkey" document/icon on my desktop or do I move it else where like in the hard drive?

• Proposed as answer by SkeeterGz Sunday, March 21, 2010 3:04 AM
    Tuesday, September 25, 2007 4:15 AM
  • Hi All,

Hope this info helps all.  Just bought Acer laptop with Matshita dvd.  Looked it up on the internet to be sure it was or was not a LightScribe dvd drive.  You can imagine my surprise and disappointment at finding nothing but negatives for it.  Regardless, I just burned my first dvd (data disc through windows vista) and had no problems. Checked it out on another computer (Sony) drive and it read just fine.

Anyway, I am going to make a folder and put the drivers in it as a backup. Here is the info on the drivers from my computer "Device Manager".

C:/Windows/System32/DRIVERS/cdrom.sys

Provider: Microsoft Corporation

Version: Microsoft 6.0.6000.16386 (vista_rtm.061101-2205)

Digitally Signed

and....

C:/Windows/System32?DRIVERS/NTIdrvr.sys

Provider: New Tech Infosystems, Inc.(2002)

Version: 1.0.0.6

Not Digitally Signed

Thanks for the forewarn,

tottin

Sunday, September 30, 2007 2:18 AM
  • Worked fine on a Toshiba Tecra A6 Windows XP. THXX

Monday, October 01, 2007 3:04 PM
  • Thanks so much, I blew out both my internal and external DVD drives at once and that fixed the problem for both.

--Shyfty

Thursday, October 04, 2007 6:11 AM
  • ok...here's the thing

Your method was useful up till the 5th step then i could not find the REG_MULTI_SZ data. Instead, i had

a REG_SZ data. So, how do I fix this? Thanks in advance. 

Sunday, October 14, 2007 3:04 AM
  • Thank you very much for the post, i used the method outlined in this forum and it worked terrifically. I used this method on a SONY-VAIO  SZ640N/B with Vista Business Premium , instant success. I was quit disatisifed that the unit came delivered without an operational optical drive from the factory. THANK YOU VERY MUCH!
    Friday, October 19, 2007 1:35 AM
  • Da_newbie, you are clearly a god among men. I had this exact same problem with my last toshiba satellite, an A10. I actually ended up having to system restore each and every time it happened.

Cheers Cuz,

Thursday, October 25, 2007 10:03 AM
  • On the SONY VAIO  model VGN-FE670G

deleting the REG_MULTI_SZ data type lowerFilters worked after I deleted the UpperFilters alone previously unsuccessfully.

CD shows up great in MY COMPUTER

OS XP MEDIA CENTER sp2

Thanks NB

MJ.

Friday, October 26, 2007 6:10 PM
  • If you are running windows xp, you can press and hold the "Windows key" and hit the letter "R" after and it will pop-up the Run window.
    Saturday, November 03, 2007 11:44 AM
  • I used your info and it works a treat, so far so good don`t want to put the jinx on this so i`ll just say THANKS!!!

had to remove both the upper and lower filters on my Acer Aspire 5100. didn`t find it when i just removed the upper filter but thats proberably just my luck... Thanks Again.. Evo

Rated method of success " Two Thumbs Up "

Saturday, November 03, 2007 4:15 PM
  • don`t know if this helps but i`ve just used this method and couldn`t see the same " look 2 the right of the screen when you at the final stage there was a box window showing these files on my screen when the file was highlighted on the left side"  if you clik on the filter file right click and delete it asks if you want to permanently delete it i clicked yes, i restarted and my drive was back!!

all the best

Evo

Saturday, November 03, 2007 4:22 PM
  •  

i`m using vista if you use the settings options to display RUN in the start menu...

you can then run regedit from Run in the start menu..

Evo

Saturday, November 03, 2007 4:26 PM
  • mr cldan......i have the same issue with my hp dv2000 but when i go to run and copy and paste teh key which he has given:HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/System/CurrentControlSet/Control/Class/{4d36e965-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}

it cant find it...what should i do?
    Sunday, November 04, 2007 10:58 AM
  • when i pressed delete it said that not all specified files were deleted...what should i do?
    Sunday, November 04, 2007 11:04 AM
  • I got a whole year out of my Toshiba before it crapped out on me, it said I had no DVD/CD ROM driver.  I thought it was because I had dropped it.  But now I know better.  I'm going to try what Da Newbie said.  I bought a three year complete warrantee but the store went out of business so I have to send my computer off to be fixed.  I don't think so!  Toshiba needs to come up with a solution to this, you spend upwards around $2-3K on a computer, you'd think they'd be more interested in keeping their consumers happy.  I am not very happy.  I'm glad I found this blog though, thank you all for taking the time to put it out there.

Sunday, November 04, 2007 6:47 PM
  •  

thanks u the man im pretty sure this nobie will work for any one
    Monday, November 05, 2007 7:41 AM
  • I support you man.

recently I am having a prolem with this.

my ROM can read only built in disk which comes from company.

but it cannot read data from my own disk which I burn by my cd writer.

if anybody got the solution, please help me.

with regards

siful

Wednesday, November 07, 2007 3:22 AM
  • Thank you so much! Your information fixed my driver! You are the greatest da_newbie!!!!

Saturday, November 17, 2007 6:16 AM
  •  

This suggestion worked like a charm. Thanks so much.
    Tuesday, November 20, 2007 1:33 AM
  • Worked on my Toshiba Satelite A135 with Vista. Thanks so much for the help.

Ray
    Friday, November 23, 2007 2:18 PM
  •  

I am have the same problems. I switched fro vista to XP.

I removed all CD writing software and followed the directions and I could not see "REG_MULTI_SZ data type UpperFilters" or "REG_MULTI_SZ data type LowerFilters"

I dont know what happened to them. How can I find them?

Tuesday, November 27, 2007 2:44 AM
  • Dear da-newbie,

I had the same problem with a Vaio Sony VGN-FE31M. Your answer saved me! I confirm your recipe works!

First I had to uninstall AnyDVD.

Then I had to delete both Upper Filters as described by you and Lower Filters as described by you in Method 2
    Thanks a lot
    operaverdi
    Tuesday, November 27, 2007 11:35 PM
  • THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU.

MAY ALL THE INTERNET AND TECH GODS BLESS DA-NEWBIE FOREVER, WORKED WITH MY TOSHIBA U305 AND THE DAMN MATSHITA DVD WORKS NOW !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wednesday, November 28, 2007 1:01 AM
  • Worked great for my Vaio VGN N330N

Friday, November 30, 2007 3:59 AM
  • Matshita DVD problem: Thanks a Ton. Method 2 worked with Toshiba Laptop. My DVD is OK Now.

Suresh

India

Sunday, December 02, 2007 3:44 PM
  • Hey all,

I don�t have the upperfilters or lowerfilters appearing. What can I do?

Thanks a lot

Tuesday, December 04, 2007 3:47 PM

• First at all thanks for help me in this kind of problem.
    I let you know that this solution worked for a COMPAQ Presario C727US Notebook PC.
    Like most of your cases my DVD failed after 15 days of use.

Thanks again
    Sunday, December 09, 2007 9:44 PM
  • hey da_newbie

thanx

i was really pissed off with my lappy, it is just 20 days old

and was giving serious probs with the dvd drive

but your solution really worked for my lenovo

you and ur solution rocks

thanx once again

Monday, December 17, 2007 4:37 PM
  • flipping excellent da_newbie. you r a bona fide geeeeenius. thanks. Smile
    Saturday, December 22, 2007 10:16 PM
  • I have a Vaio AR 520, with the upper filters nothing happened, then I deleted the Lower Filters and Voila! it worked!! my F drive appeared again!!!

da_newbie you're Da Man!!

Thursday, December 27, 2007 6:44 PM
  • Thanx.
    It works on Asus too (not only with code 39 problem but code 10 too).
    Big thanx.
    Friday, December 28, 2007 9:41 AM
  • Thank you very much for your excellent solution to my, and many others, problem.

Regards,

Marco Hoes

The Netherlands

Wednesday, January 02, 2008 7:48 PM
  • Worked great on my Acer Aspire 5100 with Vista.

Thanks guys!

John
    Thursday, January 03, 2008 1:15 AM
  • Hi, i've tried da_newbie's trick, but it didn't work properly, and i think the driver might have been removed some way or another. could any of you guys who's got a working matshita uj-850s ata drive send me a rar archive with the driver in please ? that would be very nice from you, cos i don't think my drive will ever work if i don't get the driver reinstalled..
    furthermore, this is incredible that no constructor site offers the download of this driver, i've tried sony (for my computer is a vaio), toshiba, hp... maybe there's really some kind of problem with this driver...

thanks
    Saturday, January 05, 2008 10:34 PM
  • I hd also just done Windows Updates on my Vaio VGN-N220E notebook running Vista and the dvd disappeared. It showed an exclamation point in the device manager and when i staretd googling for drivers I ran across this thread. Deleting the lower filter and a reboot is what also worked for me.

Kudos to da_newbie!

Tuesday, January 08, 2008 11:50 PM
  • Hello

This thread was very helpful and for my computer I located the source of the problem NAPSTER did anyone else download napster and then have the drive quit let me know.

Saturday, January 12, 2008 2:57 PM
  • HP PAVILION DV6000 LAPTOP

MATSHITA DVD-RAM UJ-861H ATA DRIVE

Deleting the LowerFilters allows the drive to work on this model

Wednesday, January 16, 2008 5:58 PM
  • THANK YOU!  The problem was solved in my ACER 5610Z with Vista-Home.  ACER e-mail support suggested this method when I first reported the problem, but the Microsoft site indicated it was for XP systems, and tech support did not dispute it.  All the warnings about potential problems frightened me.  Today, the phone support tech did not know what to do and suggested a full system restore... nightmare land.  I am very thankful I found your posting... All the positive responses to this method gave me the confidence I needed to give it a try myself...   Gracias!

Monday, January 21, 2008 10:47 PM
  • I have the same dvd drive in a new Toshiba laptop with Vista. I tried the suggested Registry editing, to no avail. I couldn't find a download to get a new driver, so I did the unthinkable. I went to Device Manager and uninstalled the driver for the dvd drive. Then I went to Control Panel and Add Hardware, and Vista found the Matshita dvd drive and installed the driver for it. All done.

Monday, January 21, 2008 11:58 PM
  • To apasv5:

hi, how about xp users? can i do the same?

thnks

Friday, January 25, 2008 9:48 AM
  • mmm. It work fine in a Compaq Presario V3000 with Windows Vista Home.

thanks by this helpfull tip.

Friday, January 25, 2008 7:38 PM
  • Thanks for this...method 2 worked perfectly on my Toshiba Satellite.  Fortunately I found this pretty early on!!

Saturday, January 26, 2008 4:05 PM
  • having issues with my toshiba and i cant find method 2 that was mentioned earlier. i dont have the upper and lower class things to delete any help would be greatly appreciated dj.skey@hotmail.com any help at all thanks

Wednesday, January 30, 2008 9:03 AM
  • thanks da_newbie that has saved me takin my laptop back. i have an acer aspire 5720 and it worked perfect. thanks alot

Thursday, January 31, 2008 6:57 PM
  • da_newbie, You are Da-Man!

It worked on my SONY DVD RW.

Thanks much!

Friday, February 01, 2008 6:25 AM
  • I have a Sony Vaio laptop about 6 months old. I had trouble with Roxio Easy Media Creator and uninstalled it and my UJ850s DVD disappeared along with it. I found the following following Sony FAQ search for Code 39 error and it worked just fine:

Error: Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may be corrupted or missing. (Code 39)

Reasons for this error include a device driver that is not present: a binary file that is corrupted; a file I/O problem: or a device driver that references an entry point in another binary file that could not be loaded.

NOTE: More information regarding this error is available in this Microsoft KB Article 320553.

To resolve the error, remove the device from Device Manager, and then reinstall or upgrade the driver.

If the error continues to occur, it may be possible to edit the operating system Registry to resolve the issue.

WARNING: There is a risk of data loss. This procedure involves editing the Registry. Using the Registry editor incorrectly can cause serious problems that may require the operating system to be reinstalled and can result in the potential loss of data.

IMPORTANT: Make a backup of the registry before proceeding.

1. Click the Start button, and in the Start Search field, type regedit and then press the Enter key.

NOTE: If prompted for an administrator password or a User Account Control prompt is displayed, type the appropriate password or click Continue.

2. In the Registry Editor window, in the left pane, double-click the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE folder.
    3. In the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE folder, double-click the System folder.
    4. In the System folder, double-click the CurrentControlSet folder.
    5. In the CurrentControlSet folder, double-click the Control folder.
    6. In the Control folder, double-click the Class folder.
    7. In the Class folder, click to select the {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} folder.
    8. In the right pane, click to select the UpperFilters registry value.
    9. On the menu bar, click Edit.
    10. In the Edit menu, click Delete.
    11. In the Confirm Value Delete dialog box, click the Yes button.
    12. In the right pane, click to select the LowerFilters registry value.
    13. On the menu bar, click Edit.
    14. In the Edit menu, click Delete.
    15. In the Confirm Value Delete dialog box, click the Yes button.
    16. In the Registry Editor window, click the X in the upper right corner to close the window.
    17. Restart the computer.
    The troubleshooting steps listed above should resolve your issue. If you have completed all of the steps and the issue is not resolved, service may be required. The Sony® eService Web site at http://eservice.sony.com/ can assist you in obtaining service from a Sony Service Center or locating a Sony Authorized Servicer. Created: Tue Feb 27 09:33 2007  |  Last Modified: Mon Apr 23 08:01 2007
    Sunday, February 10, 2008 2:05 PM
  • Solution works also with MATSHITA DVD-RAM UJ-860H model... thanks alot!
    Sunday, February 17, 2008 3:03 AM
  • Let me add my post to the long list of thank you's. Fix worked liked a charm on my Fujitsu Lifebook A3120 running Vista, first time. I was stumped for a week

Monday, February 18, 2008 2:59 AM
  • I LOVE YOU!!!! YOU ARE A GENIUS!! I have a matshita dvd-ram uj-85js ata device in my sony vaio all in one desktop.  (not a laptop) This worked!  I have been at this ALL day.  Thank you so much!  I came so close to going out and buying and extenal one.  You saved me bucks!
    Saturday, February 23, 2008 3:48 AM
  • Da_newbie : THANK YOU, this fixed the same problem on my Sony VAIO PCG-6S1L running Vista Business edition

I had to delete both upperfilters and lowerfilters, but now it is working again! Great solution. Thank you.
    Monday, February 25, 2008 3:14 PM
  • this did not work for me Vista reports my drivers as bad yet does not allow to reinstall them. each time it does it states that the drivers have failed.

Tuesday, February 26, 2008 12:24 AM
  •  

Your proceedure worked perfectly for me once I delted the 'Lower Filters' as well, after I tried the first proceedure as your other reader suggested. It is interisting that this is not yet an "official" method of solving problem

My Laptop running the MATSHIT DVD-RAM UJ-852S USB, on a Sony Vaio Laptop Model VGN-G11XN/B

• Proposed as answer by SkeeterGz Sunday, March 21, 2010 4:23 AM
    Tuesday, February 26, 2008 10:56 AM
  • On Vista left click the start button and were it says "Start Search" Run is now running over type with "regedit" and you can start proceedure. I hope this helps.

Tuesday, February 26, 2008 11:07 AM
  • i realize this thread is older, but i wanted to confirm that this also works for Compaq V6205NR laptop running Windows Vista Home Premium.  Done this trick in the past, but forgot all about it.  need to give thanks to noob, well done man and thank you from saving me hours on the phone with someone in India trying to troubleshoot the problem, and there drone like, monotone : )
    • Proposed as answer by SkeeterGz Sunday, March 21, 2010 4:26 AM
    Saturday, March 01, 2008 2:16 AM
  •  da_newbie wrote:

The solution i am posting works perfectly for Acer laptops wiht Matshita UJ-850s. I have not tested it on Toshiba yet.

WARNING: Serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly by using Registry Editor or by using another method.

These problems might require that you reinstall your operating system. Microsoft cannot guarantee that these problems can be solved. Modify the registry at your own risk. Note If you had installed multiple CD-writing software products on your computer, you need to uninstall the software products before you remove the registry keys.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/System/CurrentControlSet/Control/Class/{4d36e965-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}

I had tha same problem with IBM r50e
    thank you da_newbie for your answer
    It is working now
    Monday, March 03, 2008 1:41 PM
  • I'm using Vista and regedit does not show "Upper Filters"... only "Lower Filters" which I erased... re-booted and it does not work.

Tuesday, March 04, 2008 1:58 PM
  • When I get to step six or before I don't see _MULTI_ any place on the page.  This is a backgrade to XP on an Acer Vistaputer, Acer is so nice about making their drivers so easy to find that I'm not sure I ever got the real driver for the Matshita DVD-RAM drive.  Is there a site that you know of where I can find the correct driver for this Acer 5100/Matshita UJ-850S combo?

Thank you for all the help you've given everyone! Jimi Montana
    Thursday, March 06, 2008 4:58 PM
  • Where is method two? 

Does anyone know where to get the Acer 5100/Matshita driver?  I backgraded to XP and have been running on the XP defualt driver.  It dosen't do dvds and is weird but the Matshita driver is near impossiable to find, help, please. Jimi

Thursday, March 06, 2008 5:18 PM
  • I am user of Brazil and I have a VAIO VGN-SZ650N Your tip was perfect and it worked immediately! Really thank you
    Saturday, March 08, 2008 1:59 AM
  • da_newbie - you are a genius!!!  I have spent hours trying to fix my Matshita CD-DVD drive that is only two months old (HP).  I thought I'd have to take it back and then I had the good fortune to find this post.  Thank you so much, it worked perfectly.  Now I'm back in business - thanks again!!

Saturday, March 08, 2008 5:24 AM
  • I tried the upper, and still got exclamation mark in dev. mgr. removed lower, and will reboot when backup is finished.
    Wish me luck!
    Acer Aspire 5100
    Wednesday, March 12, 2008 12:07 AM
  •  da_newbie wrote:

The solution i am posting works perfectly for Acer laptops wiht Matshita UJ-850s. I have not tested it on Toshiba yet.

What registry key do you delete/remove?

Do I really have to re-install windows?

da_newbie wrote:

Wednesday, March 12, 2008 12:25 PM
  • thank you da-newbie your a star just tried it on my toshiba-equium laptop i didnt have a upper-filter but had 2 lower filters for anyone else this comes up for delete the lower-filter bak an it will be good as new again i had my laptop from new an ive had it4weeks an this error happened i strongly advise everyone not to get toshiba cos as they say toshibe leading innovation yes my arse!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wednesday, March 12, 2008 9:19 PM
  •  

The solution i am posting works perfectly for HP dv2000

when i play the CD or DVD i do not have any problems but when i put a data CD or DVD

it does not recognise and shows 0 data. Also when i try to copy to a DVD on my

Windows media player 11, it shows only Music CD..

Please tell me how to update or change the product settings and would be a gr8 help.. 

Tuesday, March 25, 2008 2:20 PM
  • Method 1 worked great on my Vaio VGN-FZ31M with Sony BC-5500A drive

Thx a lot da_newbie

Thursday, March 27, 2008 9:08 AM
  • I am having this same problem with my Laptop Toshiba M45-S331.

I plan on performing this procedure this weekend. I know it states to remove all burning applications so I will remove my Nero Suite.

Anything ELSE I need to uninstall before performing this registry edit?

P.S I will make a complete backup of all my data before hand.

Thursday, March 27, 2008 12:46 PM
  • Thank you so much for this fix.  I have a Sony Vaio TZ-195N and the above fix worked like a charm for my Matshita UJ-852S.  Deleting those two registry entries and rebooting seems to have solved the issue.  Thanks again Smile

Wednesday, April 02, 2008 4:44 AM
  • You are my new hero, da_newbie!  I just reformatted my computer the other day and the DVD drive wasn't recognized.  Corrupt driver or whatever.  I tried everything short of reformatting agian to get it back!  My last resort was the advice you posted, and it worked perfectly!  Toshiba Qosmio here, worked for me.  Thanks so much!
    Tuesday, April 08, 2008 5:43 AM
  • hi

even i had  same problem yday..donno wht to do now? read abt deleting lower filter..can someone pl tell me how to delete lower filters? i dont know much abt computers...thnx

Wednesday, April 09, 2008 1:20 PM
  •  

every time when I do "Windows Update", my computer cannot "see" the cd-dvd device
    Monday, April 14, 2008 1:03 PM
  •  

Thanks, tried this on Asus F3K laptop with Vista Home Premium, and it' s works!!!

Deleting upper filters did not work. I deleted lower filters also and it now works ok!

Paldies! (Thank You)
    Thursday, April 17, 2008 8:08 AM
  • just to comment on this drawn out thread

i have a toshiba p100-465 laptop computer running vista business it too has the matshita uj-850s dvd ram drive and it has performed flawlessly in the 8 months that i've had the machine from new

there were issues with watching dvds on the windvd that comes with the machine but this was solved with a new version download from toshibas website

alot of people do not understand what a driver is and think that a computer or program is rubbish because it has stopped working 9 time out of 10 the issue is a software incompatability and can be resolved when allowing enough patience for the relevant technicians at microsoft,or your computer/peripheral (eg dvd drive, monitor etc..) manufacturer to resolve the issues computers/peripherals are immensely complex pieces of equipment and no matter how hard manufacturers try there will always be situations where a driver confliction or software issue develops in my case vista as we all know is plagued with problems even now over a year since its release microsoft is working really hard to work on outstanding issues aswell as keep on top of constant virus and hacking attempts by people who have nothing better to do but cause mayhem or try and get their hands on information that is not for them that is why we recieve so many updates and will recieve further service packs from microsoft

my best advice if your computer stops working is first of all put the hammer away smashing it will not solve the problem now will it,

first thing first have you got antivirus software on your computer if not and you are on the web you're a fool and if your computer is not working because of this then its your own fault if you do have antivirus on your computer check to make sure it is fully upto date by following the procedure on the software itself all antivirus nowadays has the ability to update itself once you have checked this run a full system check it takes longer but it will check the entire hard drive any items of concern will be highlighted or advised that they have been removed, my computers processors were working away like mad for about 20 minutes after i had completed a game so i did this and my norton 2007 found a trojan program that was causing my computer to work harder than it needed to once removed problem solved.

if there is no virus present identify what has stopped working and if it is solvable by restaring the computer this in itself will solve 90% of problems. If this doesn't work what has stopped working if windows has frozen and you were running microsoft office for example a corrupted or conflicting file could be the reason that your computer keeps freezing this isn't anything you've done it is just what can and does happen because windows and other software is so complex. the best solution if it is a program like microsoft office that is causng the issues to back up all your files that you need and then uninstall and reinstall the application i know this is labourious but it will solve the problem 8-9 times out of 10.

if you've done that and you still have an issue then the issue could lie somewhere in the core files of windows eg the registry files my best advice with this is to purchase or download a software utility like glaxy utilities this will amongst other things search your registry files and advise on files that empty, invalid, corrupted or unused if one of these files is the culprit when the system accesses this file it doesn't go anywhere or causes system instability or lock up.

i mention glaxy utilities becuase my computer took 10 minutes to shutdown until i installed this utility free off the web and it solved it straight away once i removed over 400 registry keys that weren't needed so its worth a try, if this doesn't work check to make sure you are fully up to date with your updates from windows as some files contain definitions that can resolve some of the most common software issues.

if all else fails then i would suggest reloading your operating system this will either be a restore disc, boot partition or full windows dvd/cd

if it is a disc you need to press f12 (usually) on first startup before entering windows to access a boot option you then press dvd/cd and follow the on screen instructions and the computer will be restored to its original condition when you bought it, if you can back up all files, pictures etc.. that you want to keep as they won't be available after, if it is a boot partition you normally press f8 when the computer has first started befre wndows and it will come up with an option to enter the boot partition you then follow the instructions as neccessary if it is the full disc insert this the dvd/cd while it is running in windows and then restart the pc the computer will automatically detect the disc and then follow instructions to reload the operating system if it doesn't detect automatically restart again and hold f12 (usually) changed the boot option to dvd/cd and then follow instructions

still not solved the problem go to your manufacturers website and look for support/downloads or something similar look for you model of computer and install all the most recent driver downloads available now after all of that it should solve about 95-99% of problems but if you are still having problems i would suggest contacting your manufacturer or microsoft as there is a problem that can't be solved by the tools at your disposal the manufacturer may suggest other things to try or may suggest that the machine goes to a centre to be tested by a technician

if the problem is a hardware failure and you are within warranty contact your manufacturer to setup return to manufacturerfor repair, take picture of your machine from all angles so that if arrives back damaged you can argue that the damage was not present prior to repair

hope this helps

kind regards

edward

Tuesday, April 22, 2008 4:25 PM
  •  

hi im having this very exact problem and can't find the driver from the list of drivers.,.

also i have no idea what lower filters are..

i'd be very greatful for your help.

at the moment there is an exclamation mark on the device list.

I have a hp pavillion dv9000

many thanks

jas

Tuesday, April 22, 2008 4:32 PM
  • What happens if a person's drive fails again after the fix (which worked, thanx) and that person can't retrieve the Savedkey file because the idiot (yep, it's me) deleted the damn thing from my desktop? I can't find a resource to help me re-write the file. HELP !!!!!! Thanks in advance.
    Saturday, April 26, 2008 5:55 AM
  • da_newbie, You are Da-Man!

This worked for me after deleting both the upper and lower filters on a Matshita dvd-ram 841S running XP.

I'm sad to say it took me 2 hrs to find this very helpful post after wasting my time with Toshiba and Matshita (panasonic)

Thanks!!!

Saturday, May 03, 2008 3:13 PM
  • This worked for me as well but unfortunately I uninstalled the drive by accident and cannot locate them. It now shows that my cd/dvd drive is there but the moment I put a disk in it freezes the program and slows down my laptop drastically. Can anyone give me some help about what else I could do to try fix the problem since I am an avid gamer and need my cd/dvd drive to be able to read the disks. Thanks any help would be much appreciated.

I have a Toshiba Satellite A215 with this very same driver.
    Wednesday, May 07, 2008 8:41 PM
  • Hello~

Your solution worked perfectly on a Toshiba Satellite U305-S2804 laptop with a Matshita DVD-RAM UJ-852S ATA Device, running Windows Vista-Home/Premium.

Thanks very much!

KellyW
    Saturday, May 10, 2008 7:43 PM

• I have an excellent Sony VAIO notebook with WinVista Home Premium, and I have been having problems with the Matshita UJ-850S ever since I bought the laptop. At first, when I wanted to burn CDs it kept corrupting all of them. I have not used the CD-ROM a lot, since most of my computer work is on the internet, but after 7 months, I wanted to play a CD, and the drive simply didn't exist. I looked in the Control Panel --> Device Management, and it said the driver is either corrupt or missing (Code 39.)

I tried everything you said, and now it works perfectly, Thank you very much.

PS: I have a Sony VAIO VGN-N320E.
    Saturday, May 17, 2008 3:09 PM

• I have an excellent Sony VAIO notebook with WinVista Home Premium, and I have been having problems with the Matshita UJ-850S ever since I bought the laptop. At first, when I wanted to burn CDs it kept corrupting all of them. I have not used the CD-ROM a lot, since most of my computer work is on the internet, but after 7 months, I wanted to play a CD, and the drive simply didn't exist. I looked in the Control Panel --> Device Management, and it said the driver is either corrupt or missing (Code 39.)

I tried everything you said, and now it works perfectly, Thank you very much.

PS: I have a Sony VAIO VGN-N320E.
    Saturday, May 17, 2008 3:13 PM
  • Worked like a charm on this Toshiba Satellite U305-S5097 too.

Thanks, it was really helpful.

Sunday, May 25, 2008 10:16 AM
  •  

This worked great (thanks!) for two-three weeks, then it died again. Toshiba P105 w/dual-core 1.6Ghz Intel running Vista. Updated (downloaded replacement) driver, which was current anyway. Driver filters not to be seen.What now?
    Tuesday, May 27, 2008 1:41 PM
  • YAAHOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It works!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It really worked out, it solved the problem!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have a Vaio VNG - FE750FM

I just hope that this solution won't be going to bring an other one.

Indeed, I have another question. I have been experimenting problems with the same device while trying to read a DVDs full of photographs. I have to say that I burnd this DVDs with the Roxio utility that came along with the computer. Why might this be happening??? Is there a solution??????

Saturday, May 31, 2008 1:31 AM
  • Looks like this thread is few months old, I had the same problem.  Both the upper and lower filters removed worked.

Someone questioned Napster, seems like that was the problem with me.  My drive stopped working after installing Napster a few days ago. 

Thanks again for the help!
    Tuesday, June 10, 2008 6:35 PM
  • My issue was slightly different, the whole thing didn't *** out on me, it just wouldn't let me burn DVDs could do ANYTHING else, but that.

Went through your process and it worked [on my Sony Vaio VGN N325E]. My man thanks you cause now he has C.H.U.D. which he's been waiting very impaitently for.

Thursday, June 12, 2008 12:59 AM
  • That issue also hgappened to me. After deleatting the upper and lower filters my driver appeared again, I could make use of every function except the DVD writting feature. I decided to restore the registry to the previos settings (after deleating the filters) through a backup of the regirtry I had donde before, and the DVD writting feature was restored. since then I have not had any problems with the Matsishita driver, but now I know how to solve the problem if it ought to happen again.

I think the problem in the Matshita Driver is in the DVD writting feature, if you are clever, you may notice that the driver is recognized only as DVD-RAM, and not as DVD-RW in the Device Manager. The registrys we may have been deleating to solve the problem must be making reference to that proces in special, the ability of our driver to write on DVDs.

The problem is not of the computer producers, but of the driver producers. However, it is still unexcusable to sell custumers a product with a defectiv driver. 

• Proposed as answer by SkeeterGz Sunday, March 21, 2010 3:11 AM
    Thursday, June 12, 2008 3:45 AM
  • i don't even know my DVD-RW drive is missing until 2 days ago when i need to obtain some info from my DVDs

i've tried the registry method, but no luck, this is very frustrating

i am using Fujitsu Notebook A6020 and Windows Vista Home Premium

my notebook is 12 months old, i have antivirus and it is up-to-date

this is frustrating becoz this DVD drive used to work fine

please help

• Proposed as answer by SkeeterGz Sunday, March 21, 2010 3:15 AM
    Wednesday, June 18, 2008 4:57 PM
  •  

i want to add that when i open the registry, i only found the UpperFilters but the LowerFilters are missing

i deleted the UpperFilters, restart etc all no help

in device manager, i can see the DVD drive symbol with exclamation mark & properties = code 10

please help, thank you

• Proposed as answer by SkeeterGz Sunday, March 21, 2010 3:18 AM
    Wednesday, June 18, 2008 5:24 PM
  •  

This solution worked with my Vaio  VGNFE-880E. You have to delete both the upper and lower filter keys.

THANKS !!!!!

• Proposed as answer by SkeeterGz Sunday, March 21, 2010 3:19 AM
    Wednesday, June 18, 2008 11:33 PM

• it seems everyone's problem was solved but mine, i have an acer aspire   any other ideas?

• Proposed as answer by SkeeterGz Sunday, March 21, 2010 3:21 AM
    Wednesday, June 18, 2008 11:59 PM
  • I had the same problem with my sony viao and just to add on to what da_newbie said I had to delete my upper and lower filters and now it works perfect thanks for the advice
    • Proposed as answer by SkeeterGz Sunday, March 21, 2010 3:24 AM
    Sunday, June 22, 2008 7:32 PM
  • A 1000 thank-you's!  After a few hours of trying different approaches, I finally stumbled upon your answer.  Seems to be working perfectly. 
    Monday, June 30, 2008 5:06 AM
  • hi. You are a LEG-END!!!! I have a HP Pavillion notebook with a uj840s mat-***-a dvd ram drive, which decided to pack up on me. Read your post and thought i would take the risk... It sorted the problem..Well done... I am ever grateful to people like you who can find solutions to things like this... I spent all day trying to download a driver or update itbut too noooooo avail. Thank u so much... Kindest Regards. xx

Thursday, July 03, 2008 6:53 PM
  • Hi da-newbie

I had same problem with my new Sony VGN-SZ79GN DVD drive and your procedure work perfectly.

Thanks so mush, you have saved a lot of my time.

Regards

Tuesday, July 08, 2008 3:10 AM
  • Da_nubie you are a GOD!
    Ive had this problem before and couldnt find a solution so just formatted my drive.
    Now ive had it again, purchased a second drive hoping i could overcome it, but no dice, same problem
    Found your post, you are a champ
    Easy to understand aswell
    Thanks again

• Proposed as answer by SkeeterGz Sunday, March 21, 2010 3:27 AM
    Friday, July 11, 2008 7:34 AM
  • I have an HPdv6000 with this Matshita drive.  It has worked fine for 18 months & stopped working over the weekend.  One day, I could burn files to CDs & the next, the drive didn't recognize any disks.  After many hours on tech support & searching the web for solutions, I have tried every recommendation I have come across, including the one from newbie. 

I've deleted upper & lower filters, uninstalled & reinstalled the drive from device manager, removed & reseated the drive, & cleaned the lens.  It looks like it could be a conflict with a recent Vista update & I have been told that it may be due to Roxio or iTunes software, so I removed both programs and tried all of the above listed remedies & it still does not work.  The drive is recognized & there are no error messages or symbols on the icon in device manager.  When Roxio was still installed, it recognized the drive name.  The drive spins & the LED light flashes for @ 10 seconds and then nothing happens.  I even tried putting a CD in & trying to boot from the CD at start up, but nothing happened.  Start up continued as usual. 

Any additional suggestions on possible remedies would be greatly appreciated.  We'd like to burn our recent vacation photos onto CDs to mail to family & create a DVD slide show, but are at a loss at how to fix the problem. 

• Proposed as answer by SkeeterGz Sunday, March 21, 2010 3:34 AM
    Wednesday, July 23, 2008 6:01 AM
  • I forgot to mention in my post above that the device manager says that the drive is operating correctly.  When I try to copy files to the disk using Explore (now that Roxio has been uninstalled), I get an error message to install a compatible disk.  however, the disks I am attempting to use are the same as those I used last week.  I've tried multiple disks, so it's not the disk. 

Unfortunately, it never occurred to me when I purchased the computer that System Restore wouldn't be "on" as the default setting.  I just checked into using that & there are no system restore points.  It was never turned on.  Any help would be appreciated. 

Wednesday, July 23, 2008 6:29 AM
  • Worked perfectly! Thank you!!
    Wednesday, July 23, 2008 11:08 PM
  • I suggest you to reinstall the roxio software. I did it aswell and my driver works correctly. If you saw a post I had published before, you can infer that the roxio software is some sort of program that allows the roght functionality of the complete driver. The roxio software comes divided in three parts (I don't know why, but you can check it while trying to uninstall the software through the windows application). So, I suggest you to reinstall the software. I don't know what computer you have, but if you have a sony-vaio you might try to reinstall the roxio program through the sony restore application (that's how I did it).

I wish you good luck. If not, I would only have to suggest you to resotre the complete C: unite. 

Thursday, July 24, 2008 2:03 AM
  • Dantesco,

I appreciate the suggestion.  My laptop was not booting from the recovery disk, so I went into setup and moved the DVD/CD drive to the top of the boot list & saved the settings.  That still did not work.  the laptop is not booting from the CD, so there isn't a way to install Roxio again.  Looks to me like it may be a hardware issue, which is strange since the drive worked one day & didn't the next...and was never moved.  In addition, Vista updated overnight between the day it worked & the day it didn't.  Possibly a coincidence, but maybe not. 

Thanks for the suggestion. 

Thursday, July 24, 2008 2:56 AM
  • Help!!!!!!!

I've a acer aspire 5050 w/ this freaking driver and doesn't work.

I tried to check the upper/lower filters, but even these values the drive doens't have. Horrible!

Is there any other way to solve it?

How about if i copy the registry of someone who made it work? Thx.

• Proposed as answer by SkeeterGz Sunday, March 21, 2010 3:44 AM
    Sunday, July 27, 2008 1:11 AM
  • I have a Toshiba Satellite A205-S5831 with the Matshita UJ-850s, these instructions work on the first try.

da_newbie wrote:

Monday, July 28, 2008 5:02 AM
  • Where is te lower Filtes? how i can delete it?

• Proposed as answer by SkeeterGz Sunday, March 21, 2010 3:50 AM
    Tuesday, July 29, 2008 3:31 AM
  • Which steps?? I have the same problem but don't know what to do.

Thank you.

Wednesday, July 30, 2008 9:59 AM
  • Dear kenz4949

Your great solution work also with Notebook Sony Vaio VGN-TZ150. Thank you very much

Saturday, August 02, 2008 7:08 PM
  • Amazing! Finding this forum and newbie's advice saved me hundreds of dollars!

I have a Toshiba Satellite R10 Tablet PC and I haven't seen anyone on the thread yet that mentioned whether they tried using this technique for other Matshita drives or not. I have a Matshita UJDA750 and it worked beautifully for mine as well! Thanks a bunch!!!
    • Proposed as answer by SkeeterGz Sunday, March 21, 2010 4:06 AM
    Tuesday, August 05, 2008 11:08 AM
  • I previousy tried this fix on my Toshiba A135 and it worked.

And now it has quit again and there are no listings in the register (now) that I can edit.

I have thought of removing the CD/DVD-ROM drive completely, restart, shutdown, replace the drive, restart and let the system 'find' the hardware. But I can't figure out how to completely remove the drive. But would this work?

Is there another option available other than wiping the HD and starting over??? I'm at my wits end.

Thanks,

Masha

• Proposed as answer by SkeeterGz Sunday, March 21, 2010 4:09 AM
    Thursday, August 07, 2008 8:31 PM
  • Hi,

I tried your steps and it worked for my Toshiba Satellite A135. And now the drive has completely quit.

Any suggestions? Or do I just buy another DVD/CD-RM drive for this laptop?

Thanks,

Masha

Thursday, August 07, 2008 8:40 PM
  • Hi,

I have a toshiba satellite a200 and have exactly the same problem i have tried the regedit fix and it hasnt worked although there was only upper filters no lower filters there to delete... also i have backed up everything on an external hd and system restored yet still no joy, the filters are still not there so i dont know what to do now was wondering if anyone has had any luck with any other fixes yet??

any help would be greatly appreciated

• Proposed as answer by SkeeterGz Sunday, March 21, 2010 4:12 AM
    Wednesday, August 13, 2008 1:36 PM

• da_newbie,

Yes! It works for a Toshiba Satellite. I run into this problem with a new Toshiba A205-S5000 that I bought at Wal-Mart for my son.

Great solution! Toshiba has to pick this up and put it on their support web site!

Thanks for posting this!

David
    Saturday, August 16, 2008 4:34 AM
  • Thank you!!! you saved my life!!! Smile))) you rock!!
    Friday, August 22, 2008 4:29 PM
  • Petras,

Can you help me? I don t find the reg_multi_sz to delete the upper and lower filters. Where are they?

Or somebody can help me?

Fabienne

Saturday, August 23, 2008 1:30 AM
  • Da_Newbie,

Can you sy me where can I find the REG_MULTI_SZ ?

I have a Sony VGN-SZ670N

Thank you in advance

Fabienne

Saturday, August 23, 2008 1:38 AM
  • Check this out!!!  For all of those who has an Acer 5100 or similar and the registry modification did not work (lower and upper filter deleted).  I started to play around with the registry keys and within the same registry key with the lower and upper filters were, I changed the (SilentInstall) from 1 to 0.  Then yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay it worked.  Make sure the lower and upper filters are deleted.  Oh yeah I am running Vista Basic. It's only been working for about an hour.  I'll reposed tomorrow to let people know if it still works.
    Saturday, August 23, 2008 10:11 PM
  •  

I have made an interesting observation with this problem. I have an Acer Aspire 5100 running Vista Ultimate. When I delete the above registry files and restart my computer, the CD/DVD works fine. However, my iTunes needs to reinstall in order to operate. Once I reinstalle iTunes, my CD/DVD player no longer works. Has anyone else noticed this? Any suggestions for a work around?
    Tuesday, August 26, 2008 2:33 PM
  • If you don't have upper or lower filters in your reg, then the problem is not in the register. I had a fujitsu siemens laptop that came with vista. I installed the xp instead and had everything else working but the Matshita uj 850-s dvd-ram drive. The reason that dvd-ram wasn't working with xp was that I had to change the "SATA Controller mode option" to "Compatible" to make installation possible. Because hard drive and dvd-ram were in same area 0, this meant problems with dvd-ram. To get the dvd-ram working I had to do these steps:

1. Download AHCI driver (7zim06ww.exe) from this site: http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?lndocid=MIGR-62909 and install it to c:\drivers\win\sata 

2. Restart your computer and go to BIOS.

3. In BIOS find "Serial Controller mode option" (in fujitsu siemens: advanced\internal device configurations\serial ata controller:\sata controller mode option) and change it to "Enhanced".

4. Make sure that AHCI configuration is marked as Disabled

5. Save and Exit

6. In windows put a dvd in the dvd-ram and test if it works. In my case it did work.

Changing the mode to Enhanced might make your OS to find new devices, in my case "PCI serial port" and "PCI Simple Communications Controller". To get these work you need to install AMT drivers that you can find from your manufacturers website, or Intels AMT by searching google.

Hope this helped those that didn't have Lower and Upper filters in Register. For me it took quite a while to realise where the problem was...

-Gradimmah

Thursday, September 04, 2008 1:13 PM
  •  da_newbie wrote:

I would like to not only shake your hand, but metaphorically "kiss your feet" for this heaven-sent repair. I have had this problem now for weeks, and it now it is GONE!  Your solution was perfect and I'm happy to tell you, this repair works on HP Pavillion Dv6436nr version with Vista 32bit OS. My searches up until yours, have been very dismal and unsuccessful. My congratulations and I appreciate your time. Please keep up the good work and if you need a reference for services rendered, I'll step up.

Good Luck and God bless.
    Robert

Unfortunately, I must amend my glee. As was posted before, the program ITUNES won't work correctly and even though it says to re-install to correct, Vista won't let you do it because says it's not the right version. Boy, it seems things are never easy. At least this is not as frustrating to deal with. If you know of any solutions to this new twist, please help. 

Monday, September 08, 2008 4:51 AM
  • This works fine on my Sony Vaio VGN SZ3HP/B Thanks a lot great help.

Saturday, September 13, 2008 4:37 PM
  • Worked on Vista Home Edition on Compaq Presario V6000   :Brill ! took 5 mins and I am no techie. Just follow the instructions on page 1 under the entry from da_newbie. Have confidence and just ignore the cautious notes.

Thanks da_ top information!

Sunday, September 28, 2008 9:02 PM
  • I have Toshiba U305 S2816 with Mashita DVD Ram UJ-852S with Vista Ultimate 32 and it's working perfectly for me. Thank you alot Newbie.

Monday, September 29, 2008 6:26 AM
  • I have a Toshiba Satellite U305 and tried de_newbee's tip and it worked!!!! I kept getting the code 39 error and was really weary about changing the registery. I took a chance and deleted both upper and lower filters, restarted my laptop, and my DVD-drive now works like a champ!!! Thanks for the tip... You guys should be put in for the Nobel Peace Prize!!!!!later....freakyd.com
    Tuesday, September 30, 2008 11:41 PM
  • AMEN, brother!!!! Da_Newbee should be prophetasized!!!!!!!

Tuesday, September 30, 2008 11:43 PM
  •  

Hi, I have a Sony VGN-FE880E.

Even after modifying the registry as described in this thread and rebooting I'm still having problems with Matshita UJ-850S ATA device..

What happens is.. when I insert a DVD or a CD, the indicator just lights up for a few seconds, and then goes dead.. Just wouldn't detect it.. PLEASE help!!!!!!!!!!!
    • Proposed as answer by SkeeterGz Sunday, March 21, 2010 4:46 AM
    Saturday, October 04, 2008 8:00 AM
  • VBPro, read the solution on page 10 sent by Gradimmah.

-Gradimmah

Thursday, October 09, 2008 4:08 AM
  • da_newbie and others,

I have tried this, but unsuccessful. There is no upper/low filters within. Even if i delete them all, it never works. I´m thinking that maybe it is due to the fact that i have installed windows xp replacing the vista that came in the laptop. Since then, never worked. Well, actually with the vista have had some problems, but soon or later it worked. I´m wondering whether it is a way to install the register keys from some laptop that worked it out and then I can have the same confirgurations.

ANY HELP PLEASE.

Tuesday, October 14, 2008 11:48 AM
  • Hi Y1NLON6,

If you don't have upper or lower filters in your reg, then the problem is not in the register. I had a fujitsu siemens laptop that came with vista. I installed the xp instead and had everything else working but the Matshita uj 850-s dvd-ram drive. The reason that dvd-ram wasn't working with xp was that I had to change the "SATA Controller mode option" to "Compatible" to make installation possible. Because hard drive and dvd-ram were in same area 0, this meant problems with dvd-ram. To get the dvd-ram working I had to do these steps:

1. Download AHCI driver (7zim06ww.exe) from this site: http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?lndocid=MIGR-62909 and install it to c:\drivers\win\sata 

2. Restart your computer and go to BIOS.

3. In BIOS find "Serial Controller mode option" (in fujitsu siemens: advanced\internal device configurations\serial ata controller:\sata controller mode option) and change it to "Enhanced".

4. Make sure that AHCI configuration is marked as Disabled

5. Save and Exit

6. In windows put a dvd in the dvd-ram and test if it works. In my case it did work.

Changing the mode to Enhanced might make your OS to find new devices, in my case "PCI serial port" and "PCI Simple Communications Controller". To get these work you need to install AMT drivers that you can find from your manufacturers website, or Intels AMT by searching google.

Hope this helped those that didn't have Lower and Upper filters in Register. For me it took quite a while to realise where the problem was...

-Gradimmah

Thursday, October 16, 2008 3:51 AM
  • Hey thanks da_newbie my Matshita UJ-850s is now working on my Toshiba Satelite A205, thank you thank you!!
    Friday, October 24, 2008 9:35 AM
  • Worked for my Toshiba Satellite Pro A200. Cheers!
    Tuesday, October 28, 2008 9:21 PM
  •  

Manually delete the registry entries

Important This section, method, or task contains steps that tell you how to modify the registry. However, serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Therefore, make sure that you follow these steps carefully. For added protection, back up the registry before you modify it. Then, you can restore the registry if a problem occurs. For more information about how to back up and restore the registry, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
    322756 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/322756/) How to back up and restore the registry in Windows
    Note Before you use this method, uninstall all CD or DVD writing or recording programs. Deleting the corrupted registry entries might cause problems with any other CD or DVD writing or recording programs that are installed on your computer. Uninstalling these programs before you start will help you avoid any problems that removing the registry entries might cause. You can reinstall these programs after the problem is resolved.

This method provides step-by-step instructions for how to use Registry Editor to delete the following corrupted Registry entries:
    UpperFilters
    LowerFilters

Step 1: Start Registry Editor

Start Registry Editor.

Step 2: Delete the UpperFilters registry entry

1. In Registry Editor, expand My Computer, and then expand HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE.
    2. Expand SYSTEM, and then expand CurrentControlSet.
    3. Expand Control, and then expand Class.
    4. Under Class, click {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}.
    5. In the details pane of Registry Editor, on the right side, click UpperFilters.

Note You may also see an UpperFilters.bak registry entry. You do not have to remove that entry. Click UpperFilters only.
    If you see the UpperFilters registry entry in the details pane of Registry Editor, go to step 6.
    If you do not see the UpperFilters registry entry, you still might have to remove the LowerFilters registry entry. To do this, go to "Step 3: Delete the LowerFilters registry entry."
    6. On the Edit menu, click Delete.
    7. Click Yes when you receive the following message:
    Are you sure you want to delete this value?
    The UpperFilters registry entry is removed.

Step 3: Delete the LowerFilters registry entry

1. In the details pane of Registry Editor, on the right side, click LowerFilters.

Note You might see a LowerFilters.bak registry entry. You do not have to remove that entry. Click LowerFilters only.

If you do not see the LowerFilters registry entry, unfortunately this content is unable to help you any more. Go to the "Next Steps" section for information about how you can find more solutions or more help on the Microsoft Web site.
    2. On the Edit menu, click Delete.
    3. Click Yes when you receive the following message:
    Are you sure you want to delete this value?
    The LowerFilters registry entry is removed.
    4. Exit Registry Editor.

Step 4: Restart your computer

Restart your computer. After you have done this, try to access the CD or DVD drive. If you can access the CD or DVD drive, and if you do not receive an error message, the problem is resolved. You can reinstall your CD or DVD writing or recording software.
    Saturday, November 01, 2008 9:48 AM
  • This is the same fix that has been posted several times befor.  We need a fix that does not include the upper and lower filters.  I have deleted the filters and there is no change.  My dvd drive is still coming and going when it is pleased.  I believe there is a problem with the bios.  I have searched the net for an update for my acer 5100 with nothing good in sight.  HELP!! :-)
    Saturday, November 01, 2008 8:39 PM
  • Hey, I heard of this one guy before, "The Acer Guy." Try his website the www.theacerguy.com.
    Sunday, November 02, 2008 1:39 AM
  • Hi guys, i have the same problem - toshiba A100 with vista home premium, after reinstalling the system my matSHITa UJ-850S doesn't see any dvds. It works with some cds (reads them, sometimes even burns them, but not always).

Reinstalling the driver doesn't help - the system finds and install the same one and says it's the best one available. I wanted to try your way, but there are no UpperFilters or LowerFilters in my registry. The only value of REG_MULTI_SZ type is IconPath.

Any clues what should i do? All help will be most appreciated.
    Wednesday, November 12, 2008 8:14 PM
  • hi all

It was a nice sunny day outside and i wanted to copy some movies for my friend from Verbatim media to the Hdd....and then back to the blank dvd....ive put in the dvd movie and it read it fine....but then i changed it for another the same make and gues what...the drive started to make noises type like ehm ehm ehm...it couldnd find the track....attempting to read the dvd 100times...i tried every media which i could find in the house....some of them could be still read...at the end the drive wouldnt read anything (DVD)...so i sent it for replacement....after 5 months it happened again...but this time i dont clean lenses i dont touch them just give them a blow from a air can...gues what...??

Nothing....doesnt read!!!same noises....ehm ehm ehm....

so i said to myself when i have the air i will blow the fan on my laptop asus f3jp....ive flipped it cleaned it and accidentaly turned it on when it was upside down....gues what??

no noise.....it read (verbatim) dvd movie....and still working....

SOLUTION>>>>>>??? shake that stupid drive!!!...or just turn it upsidedown...try it...It might work...(i think dvds were all burned at maximum speed---possible trouble with reading....burn at 4x!)

good luck with matshita drives....

Thursday, November 13, 2008 8:00 AM
  • I have the exact same problem as you do, except it (Da Newbie's cure) worked for only a couple of weeks or so until it died a second time, and now I can't use the drive at all, with no help from anyone, for months now! Isn't technology supposed to make things more convenient?

Thursday, November 13, 2008 4:34 PM
  • i have a toshiba satellite with the same damn prob, i could only get up to task 5 on your list, the regmultisz just isnt present. . im lost in the wilderness. . is there light at the end of this tunnel?
    Saturday, November 15, 2008 9:26 AM
  • On vista you will see a search bar at the bottom of the start menu, that is considered the run command, and search tool in vista. Type to search, or to run a command, type and then press the enter key.
    Sunday, November 16, 2008 4:31 AM
  • Thanks for the info, my laptop isn't even two weeks old and I lost my driver.

Tuesday, November 18, 2008 11:12 PM
  • My laptop did an upgrade the other day and (POOF). My DVD drive came back to life. It's been living for the past 2 days. Lets see how long it will stay alive.
    Saturday, November 22, 2008 1:54 AM
  • What update was it? Do you have a Toshbia?
    Saturday, November 22, 2008 2:06 AM
  • I have a Acer Aspire Laptop 5100

DVD-Ram  would not work and this happened quite out of the blue.

I spent hours on trying to get the drivers etc.  to make this work again.

I then came across your instructions -  these were so clear and it took me just two minutes to get it working again.

Thank you,  thank you, etc. etc. etc.

Thursday, November 27, 2008 8:15 PM
  • Thank You!!!!  This totally worked.  I have a Sony Vaio PCG-6S2L with Windows Vista Business Edition.

Friday, November 28, 2008 4:38 AM
  • Master you are a genius 

your metodh work perfect for toshiba satellite

windows vista home premium

tks

Robhercoss

Sunday, November 30, 2008 4:42 AM
  • Worked great on my 2 year old asus computer.  The drive just disappeared one day and now I have it back.  Thanks a bunch.
    Sunday, November 30, 2008 7:38 PM
  • THANK YOU!!! sorry to yell but I'm so excited :)

This solution (see da_newbie's first post) worked for me on a Toshiba a205-s5831 laptop.

I had to delete the upper and lower filters and then reboot and magically worked!

Wow - I love support forums, saved me(us) so much time.

Friday, December 05, 2008 10:16 PM
  • Thanks very much ... Your method helped me to solve the same problem with my Apple MacBook
    After I installed vista update ... DVD Matshita UJ-857D  does not work
    Idid my best to find any driver on PANASONIC website ... 2days lost without results
    I confirm you it works now very good
    Thanks again
    Nasser Ado
    Apple MacBook , Mac osx and Vista ultimate 32bit
    Saturday, December 13, 2008 4:11 PM
  • Hey, da_newbie ...

FWIW your method #1 registry edit worked great on a Lenovo T61 (Win XP Pro) with Matshita UJ-862 drive!

Max Registry Cleaner didn't fix (or find) the problem,
    Driver Detective didn't either,
    Buying a new drive for $200 didn't work,
    Win System Help/Troubleshooting was a waste of time,
    So was Lenovo's System Toolbox.

Sure wish I'd found your post before wasting all that time and money.

You deserve a raise!

Thanks
    Monday, December 15, 2008 9:01 PM
  • worked a treat on my tosh satellitte p30-145 psp30e many thanks 
    Saturday, December 27, 2008 2:36 PM
  •  Just wanted to thank da_newbie for the post... it worked!!!!

I have a Sony Vaio PCG-6S4M. My cd unit stopped working and I didn't even know when!! I tried different system recovering dates and nothing. Your method 1 worked with my computer and now my dvd is back on track! Thanks again!!
    Saturday, January 03, 2009 1:56 PM
  • It worked like charm for my Black macbook running windows XP on Boot Camp. My DVD-R UJ-857D had what seemed to be a driver problem, but after da_newbie's solution, it is working great!!! Thanks a lot.
    Saturday, January 03, 2009 4:39 PM
  • I have a Toshiba Satellite M55-S135 and it did not work on my laptop.  Got to step 6, did not see Reg_Multi_SZ, just REG_SZ.  I typed both Upper and LowerFilters and when I hit return I got an error.  There was nothing to delete.   So disappointed.  Any suggestions? 
    Sunday, January 04, 2009 10:05 AM
  • Hey Cooldude,

Had the exact same problem.  Toshiba M55-S135 laptop.  Have you found a solution? Thanks.
    Sunday, January 04, 2009 10:07 AM
  • I totally take it back!  It worked!  You are a genius!  My computer programmer boyfriend even asked who IS this guy?  I didn't follow the instructions closely enough the first time I tried it. 

I'm so happy, this is the first time I've ever followed instructions on one of these websites and it worked! 

Thank you, thank you, thank you!
    Sunday, January 04, 2009 10:28 AM
  • da_newbie said:

Sunday, January 04, 2009 10:29 AM
  • I'm using MATSHITA DVD-RAM UJ-85JS ATA on AcerPower 1000 running Vista Ultimate.  I've been dealing with this problem for months.  My drive used to work fine.  Then, suddenly, it wouldn't read or write blank discs.  Still plays commercial DVD/CDs and install/software discs.

When I saw this thread, I became so excited.  I went into the registry and found {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}.  I saw "UpperFilters," but no LowerFilters.  I deleted UpperFilters anyway and restarted, hoping for the best.  No such luck.

I insert the disc, no autostart, no open/explore/play.  Nothing.

I really can't afford to buy another drive right now, and I feel like I must be close to the problem, like there must be a solution.  The symptoms really suggest that I have the same problem as other users here, so I don't know why the same solution doesn't work.  Is it because I didn't have "LowerFilters?"  Any other advice?  Please?

Sincerest thanks in advance for any assistance.
    Monday, January 05, 2009 9:26 AM
  • I've a Sony Vaio VGN FE880E using a Matshita UJ-850S DVD burner drive. I used to be able to burn CDs and DVDs.

Not any more.

I can still read most CDs and DVDs. Except a few types, where it says  that the DVD is empty/blank/new and offers to burn something on it. But it refuses to burn anything... CDs, DVDs, of any brand or type.

I don't know exactly what caused it or when it happened (I rarely burn CDs and DVDs), but the approximate time is after my machine automatically upgraded to SP1 of Vista Home Premium.

Apparently, I have the latest driver software (see screenshot below):
    [IMG]http://img164.imageshack.us/img164/5903/dvdhr0.jpg[/IMG]

I contacted Sony support and they gave me their stock response - restore to factory settings. I don't want to do that since it will destroy my carefully customized system (and it's no guarantee that the problem wasn't caused by Vista Home Premium SP1) and I'll have to reinstall years of stuff.

I've tried all the usual suggestions including:
    * Delete upper and lower filters
    * Delete the device from the device list and reinstall it
    * Deleted all software that could've interfered with the driver
    * The only DVD/CD burner on my system is now iTunes (hence the GEAR driver)

Has anyone else faced this problem? And found a solution?

Does anyone have a working version of this drive (one that also burns DVDs)? If so, could you please post/send your driver settings? What are the driver files that work including version numbers and locations?

Thanks in advance.
    Friday, January 16, 2009 5:01 AM
  • Thanks for the excellent advice Da Nubie. The fix worked perfectly with my Sony SZ650N/C after removing both upper and lower filters, but not before I wasted $39 downloading software recommended by Matshita that was useless.  I refrain from the obvious play on words here :)
    Tuesday, January 20, 2009 8:32 PM
  • Hello da_newbie

this advice also worked on a Lenovo T61 running Windows XP SP3 with a drive from Matshita UJ-862 (RB01). The exact drive name is PRU P/N 39T2851 and ASM P/N 42T2506.

The problem arised at some time after an upgrade of either Windows operating system or one of the Lenovo add-on software packages.

Thank you very much!

Tuesday, February 03, 2009 2:45 PM
  • Windows Vista Home Premium solution works great.
    Run is under accessories.
    Thanks a lot.
    Sunday, February 15, 2009 4:09 AM
  •  Hi guys,

just to let you know that this worked just fine on my Toshiba A200-221...

Thanks

AJ
    Tuesday, February 17, 2009 3:41 PM
  • Editing the registry worked for me on my acer laptop.  However, when I tried to burn another disc  today, I got the following error:

- System

- Provider

[ Name] Application Error

- EventID 1000

[ Qualifiers] 0

Level 2

Task 100

Keywords 0x80000000000000

- TimeCreated

[ SystemTime] 2009-02-22T06:48:42.000Z

EventRecordID 82630

Channel Application

Computer

Security
    - EventData

dvdmaker.exe

479193d1

xvidcore.dll

48143a61

c0000094

0002da3e

15a0

01c994b90ddbe13c

It appears the xvidcore.dll is the culprit.  I would be grateful if any body has any ideas how to get rid of this error.
    Sunday, February 22, 2009 7:13 AM
  •  hi da_ newbie , 
    tried the answer the other week on my toshiba laptop and it worked great without a problem, many thanks .. 
    just had the same prob on my asus with a matshita uj-850s and have carried out the same fix .
    the drive re appears although it wont see blank disks or burn now .
     i have tried removing  burning software nero 7.i have also trieduninstalling  the driver for the dvd/rw disc ,and using the original install disc to find the hardware again ,which it finds and reinstalls  but it still wont  burn. i have all updates possible in place  .it is on vista .any help or ideas would be much appreciated thanks carl .
    Thursday, February 26, 2009 9:25 PM
  • This also works on a Toshiba Portege m700 tablet with the UJ-852.

I'm running Windows 7 (I hope my drive still works find with my XP....)

hooray and thank you!

ps- you don't need to restart your computer, if you just go into device manager, you can uninstall the cd drive (it will have an exclimation mark next to it) and then click search for new hardware. it should find the drive and reinstall it properly automaticall.

//
    Friday, February 27, 2009 5:33 AM
  • I am writing only to thank you for your advice. I have a Toshiba A210 and I was facing problems with my Matshita DVD driver. I followed your instructions, using the method 2 and now I can use my DVD/CD Rom again!

Brilliant!

Thank you ever so much!
    Tuesday, March 10, 2009 4:05 PM
  • Hi - Just wanted to say huge thanks.  Just followed easy stps on a Toshiba Tecra A9 (1 yr old) and so far so good. 
    Saved a few £/$/€ but MOST importantly saved about 2-3 days of laptop in the repair shop!
    Great work.
    Thanks
    Wednesday, March 18, 2009 1:10 AM
  • i have an hp pavillion dv9377 and this works great for me to,   thanks a bunch:P 
    Monday, April 06, 2009 9:49 PM
  • Thanx!!! Very useful!

- method 1 is working perfect on my Sony VGN-SZ4VRN too.
    Thursday, April 09, 2009 10:18 AM
  • FYI:

Toshiba has a fix for this problem (self-executable .zip):

CD / DVD drive missing from 'My Computer' (Windows Explorer)

This may have been mentioned above (I did not read all the posts).

I have a similar drive with a different problem. Matshita UJ-852s in a Toshiba Protege M700, vista ultimate sp1. Always sees DVD-R media as full (brand-new, blank). Any thoughts?
    Friday, April 10, 2009 6:42 PM
  • Thank you a lot. I had the exact same problem with my Toshiba Satellite U305-S5097. It's Matshita DVD-RAM UJ-852S ATA. Your six-step instructions fixed the problem.
    Best regards
    Sunday, April 12, 2009 6:11 AM
  • To All,

Going into REGEDIT and removing the upper and lower filters worked like a champ on my HP DV6423ci laptop, which for some reason lost the driver for the DVD portion of the Matshita UJ-850S CD/DVD drive. 

After removing the "filters" and doing a restart, works like a champ

Thanks Much to all

Regards,

Doug C
    Wednesday, April 22, 2009 4:01 PM
  • Thank you very much for your solution, I had a driver problem with my Sony Vaio SZ61MN's Matshita UJ-852S and the deletion of the LowerFilters subkey solved the problem.
    Thank you again
    AIZ
    Sunday, April 26, 2009 10:55 PM
  • Thank you very much for your solution, I had a driver problem with my Sony Vaio SZ61MN's Matshita UJ-852S and the deletion of the LowerFilters subkey solved the problem.
    Thank you again
    AIZ

Sunday, April 26, 2009 10:56 PM
  • da_newbie is a GENIUS ....

I have a Toshiba 135-S2276 Satellite notebook running vista basic with a Matshita dvd-ram UJ-850S ata and it was no longer recognized in system/hardware. There was one of those yellow caution icons over the Matshita name and I was having problems with it and software.

I did the above suggestion, rebooted, and voila .... it was again recognized in system/hardware and the caution icon was gone.

Thanks

If da_newbie is not already a millionaire somebody needs to give him a job

Patrick
    Saturday, May 02, 2009 2:03 PM
  • I have a Toshiba Satellite A135-S4527 with Windows Vista and I was having the same problem with the DVD.  The solution from da_newbie really works. 

Thank you.
    Monday, May 04, 2009 1:27 AM
  • hey, i have a toshiba satellite and tried to fix this problem by the way u suggested....actually didn't work!...deleted the reg keys and nothing... very stressed out about this...pls help...
    Thursday, May 07, 2009 8:44 PM
  • What if I fail to remember this part of your advice?  Note If you had installed multiple CD-writing software products on your computer, you need to uninstall the software products before you remove the registry keys.  The fix didn't work for me and this is probably why.  Do you have any suggestions?
    Saturday, May 16, 2009 2:55 AM
  • Thanks
    I have the Sony Vaio vgn-sz470n on vista ultimate sp1 and the matshita UJ-852s 
    After editing the register and it works. 
    Thanks.

After spending 4 hours trying to fix the error 39 than i was geting my drive was not
    working at all.

The Drive stop working after i install the Verizon desk top software for the blackberry storm.
    and the Installing the V Cast Music with Rhapsody.

Sony Software support have a fix driver with the following notes:
  • Click to DVD® update version 2.4.10.09150 is installed on a computer that has Roxio® Easy Media Creator 7.5 installed
  • After Installing Adaptec Easy CD Creator 4 Deluxe
  • After installing or uninstalling the iTunes™ program
  • After uninstalling a CD or DVD burning program from the computer.
  •  
    Sony® Registry Update for CD/DVD Drives 08/31/2007 1.0 856.79
  • Thanks Peter J.
Tuesday, May 19, 2009 4:43 AM
  • Hi da newbie,

Found your fix while doing a search for Matshita for my Vaio for some of the same problems that others have posted about this driver. I followed your directions and completed each step until I got to the REG_MULTI_SZ which I could not find on my computer. Maybe because it is 5 years old. 

This is the error message that I am getting:

Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may be corrupted or missing. (Code 39)  Click Troubleshoot to start the troubleshooter for this device.

Do you have any suggestions to help me with this problem. I downloaded the MS office 60 day trial and it screwed up my system so I uninstall it and need to reinstall my old MS Office on a cd and can't because my cd rom won't work. I lost my Outlook email and cannot open my documents without ms office. Anyway, I would appreciate any other suggestions that you may have.

Thanks

Friday, May 29, 2009 10:21 PM
  • da_newbie

Perhaps tou can  help me on this.

I have an HP pavilion zd8000 with a Matshita UJ 840D dvd-r/rw and cd drive. The OS is Windows XP Media Center Edition (English version) that came with it.

The drive works OK with CD's (read and write), but it doesn't recognize a DVD/RW disc.

When I insert one (raw or written) the system reports 0 bites used and 0 bites available on disc... and doesn't show any file (if any is recorded). Nevertheles, it does read program instalation and play original movie dvd discs...

The issue is addresed in Windows' Knowledge Base under article KB818733, where it says that this occurs because the Universal Disk Format Driver, Udf.sys, tries to read the DVD/RW disc by using a packet lenght of 32 bloks instead of one of 16 bloks, which is the one used by DVD/RW.

There is a list of "hotfixes" to the problem offered on the article, but none in english for a i386 platform!!! I tryed the spanish version but the system warned it was no suitable to my platform...

Sony also offers a hotfix for Vaios equiped with the same device ( http://www.vaio-link.com/downloads/info/info.asp?l=pt&url=Dowloads/KM/F/OPD-01111600-UN ) which I also tried with the same result.

Simmilarly to the successful solution you posted for Lint, HP Laptop Support adviced me to remove the Upper/Lower filters from the {4d36e965-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be1038} sub key, but when I tried it, I found that it already hasn't any upper nor lower filter. Anyway, I printed the sub key's values and obtained three results.

The first one is "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}"; whith - among others - have the following values:

Value 0
        Name:    Class
        Type:      REG_SZ
        Data:      CDROM

Value 1

Name:    <NO NAME>
        Data:      DVD/CDROM drives

Value 2

Name:    EnumPropPages32
        Data:      MmSys.Cpl,MediaPropPageProvider

and

Value 3

Name:    Installer32
        Data:      storprop.dll,DvdClassInstaller

The second one is "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}\0000"}"; whith - among others - have the following value:

Value 0

Data:      storprop.dll,DvdPropPageProvider

And the third one is "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}\0000"}\DigitalAudio"; which has no reference to any 32 pages or installer...

Is there anything I can try further? 

The second one is "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}\0000"}"; whith - among others - have the following value:

Value 0

And the third one is "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}\0000"}\DigitalAudio"; which has no reference to any 32 pages or installer...

Value 3

Name:    Installer32
        Data:      storprop.dll,DvdClassInstaller

Value 0

Value 0

Thursday, June 11, 2009 9:47 AM
  • Da_Newby,
    Thank you VERY much - after months of having an inop CD drive on my Lenovo ThinkPad T61 I had given up on it... as a last resort I tried your solution and it WORKED ! Da-Newby is a newby no more, he is Da_Master !
    Thursday, June 25, 2009 12:51 PM
  • Hello,
                   My lap top is HP pavillion dv 6000 and i am using windows Vista home premium servicepack 2. The dvd drive is  MATSHITA DVD-RAM UJ-861 ATA Device. The device is not reading most of the cds and dvds. I tired the registery fix(deleted upper and lower filters). But it didnt solve the problem. Even if there are contents in cds and dvds the system will promt a window for writing to the disk. It doesnt read any thing.
                Can some one help me to solve the problem
    jipson
    Saturday, July 25, 2009 12:33 PM
  • Thanks da_newbie, task manager recognized cd/dvd now.
    I had to remove the LowerFilter and restart.

Machine is a Sony Vaio. sz670n
    Tuesday, August 18, 2009 8:52 PM
  • Thank you Sir, 
    it did work on my FUJITSU lifebook s6410 as well. i guess it will work on all if it was the same problem. 
    thank you again. 
    Thursday, August 27, 2009 7:45 AM
  • Thanks da_newbie!

you're not such a "newbie" apparently with this great solution.

I use a Sony VAIO VGN-SZ650N , and method 2 works for me perfectly!
    Friday, August 28, 2009 10:56 AM
  • Excellent solution. Method 2 works perfectly for me on Sony Vaio VGN-SZ240P and VGN-SZ280P with Matashita UJ-832D ATA Drive.  Thank you!
    Friday, September 11, 2009 4:39 AM
  • I bought a Sony Vaio VGN-SZ650N/C and I had a problem with Matshita DVD-RAM UJ-852S ATA device. I followed the steps provided here, deleted both Upper and Lower filters and it worked.

the same fault with my laptop the same brand you have,how did you fix the fault? thanks
    Saturday, September 19, 2009 4:09 AM
  • Thanx,
    This worked perfectly for me on Sony Viao running Windows 7.
    Joccky
    Monday, October 26, 2009 9:43 AM
  • Your fix has cleared up the problem on my Toshiba, Equium ( P200-1 IR)
    Thankyou
    Paul
    England

Sunday, November 01, 2009 7:00 PM
  • hey newbie; tried both upper and lower deletes. on toshiba A75 sattelite and still can not read arbitrary disk. except I can read the toshiba disk that came with the machine. reinstalled driver but no help. still get error "because of an I/O device error.... thanks for your contribution to improve the reliability of japanese products. the ether is full of Matshita complaining... erniecee..
    Tuesday, November 17, 2009 12:30 AM
  • I saw the solution someone had offered and I had to find a way to do it where you don't have to uninstall all your cd/dvd software. What worked for me in Vista is using Psexec to open the registry (you can email me at eddiesanta@aol.com to find out how to do this) and then use the registry to removed every instance of cdrom and matshita from the registry by clicking Find, and then type in "cdrom" and pressing F3 to find every instance of cdrom or matshita. After you finish, and its done searching through the registry, reboot the computer. It will force a restore, even if you don't have a restore point set up already. Although, if you do have a restore point set up already, Restoring it to the point might fix the problem before going through the process I've written on. Email for guidance. Note: If you're not comfortable playing with the registry, I wouldn't do it unless you back up the registry first. Also, if you attempt to remove entries in the registry without going thru Psexec, the registry will not let you remove certain Legacy entries.

Saturday, November 21, 2009 5:26 AM
  • This fix worked like a champ for a HP dv105us laptop running XP using method 2. Thanks!!!
    Sunday, November 22, 2009 11:53 PM
  • Da-Newbie...your tip was a complete sucess getting my drive to work again on my Toshiba Qosmio.

I couldn't be happier!

Tks again!
    Saturday, November 28, 2009 8:43 PM
  • How did you do it?
    I followed his steps but no luck. I have the same computer, and got it almost 3 years ago and it just decided to ____ out last month. :(
    • Proposed as answer by SkeeterGz Sunday, March 21, 2010 4:43 AM
    Sunday, December 13, 2009 3:03 AM
  • To da Newbie my sincere thanks. Upgraded my Acer Aspire to Windows 7 from Vista and experienced same loss of DVD Drive. Acer site no help, indeed says if I chose to change operating system I must accept any problems that arrise. Emails to Panasonic (who produce the Matshita Drive) no help. Last resort searched Forum, found this link and tried it. SUCCESS. I would suggest as additional step to anyone not comfortable with making Registry changes, create System Restore point first to be safe.
    Sunday, January 10, 2010 11:53 PM
  • I have a sony vaio laptop VGN-N320E and I want to say this worked MUY BUENO! Many many thanks......
    Saturday, January 16, 2010 6:44 PM
  • Hi! My Toshiba X205-s9800 laptop running Windows 7 has strange symptoms. - The CD DVD MATSHITA UJ 850S ATA DEVICE is not reading CDs but reads some DVDs. - I tried the registery fix (deleted upper and lower filters) but it didnt solve the problem. - Every time a CD is inserted, the system prompts a window for writing to the disk, even if there are files written on CDs. In My computer this device is listed with a strange full CD capacity of 702 Mb. but cannot be accessed at all. I tried almost all these CDs on different other computers in order to verify if they work... And they worked... - Some DVDs content can be copied only using Device Manager...Disc Manager...because they cannot be explored with My computer. The bootable original DVD is read wright-away... My questions are: - Can some one help me to solve the problem??? How did you finally have solved these unpleasant dis-functions? Have you succeeded? Can you post ”The solution„? What algorithm do I have to proceed to? - Are here any technical reasons to try involving Toshiba or/and Matshita into a media scandal because of all these CD DVD MATSHITA UJ 850S ATA DEVICES malfunctions in less than /almost 1 year of use? Your mate, Alin
    Thursday, January 21, 2010 11:45 PM
  • I am upgrading a sony vgn-tx750 to windows 7 with a matshita uj832 drive, deleted upper and lower, you rock newbie, sony, panasonic all were clueless.

Thursday, February 18, 2010 7:59 AM
  • I had the same problem on my Vaio vgn-fe41m with XPsp3 and deleting the UpperFilters and LowerFilters registry key worked wonderfuly

Thank you very much
    Thursday, March 04, 2010 6:11 PM
  • I found the resolution to the Matshita DVD-Ram UJ-850s ATA Device Drivers and it works for many other device driver issues. This works for Microsoft Vista Home Premium Please follow directions carefully or either the Read or the Write will not work. In order for this to work - (YOU WILL NEED A BLANK DVD AND A FULL DVD WITH SOME KIND OF PROGRAM ON IT) http://support.microsoft.com/fixit#tab2 Click (or copy and paste) the link above to begin the process. Click on the first option Your CD/DVD drive cannot read or write media in Windows Vista. Click on the big “RUN NOW” button to the right, then select “Continue” when your computer asks your permission. Then Select Detect problems and apply the fixes for me (Recommended). It gives you two options “Read a CD/DVD and Write a CD/DVD” you will need to run both options separately once for each issue you’re having with your hardware. You will see your device listed, click on your device. It will ask you for a disc. For the Read part of it, you need to insert a DVD Disc with something on it such as a program, of any kind. Insert the disc and click on your device. NOTE: If you forget to insert a full DVD Disc your DVD Device door will pop out, then you will be forced to insert a DVD disc with a program on it. The program will continue and configure your DVD device. After it completes return back to the first page where it says “RUN NOW”. Click on “RUN NOW’ again and follow the same steps. When you see the screen with the two options “Read a CD/DVD and Write a CD/DVD” and “Write a CD/DVD”, this time select “Write a CD/DVD” option. NOTE: IT IS VERY IMPORTANT THAT YOU INSERT A BLANK DVD IN ORDER TO COMPLETE THIS PROCESS. The program is configuring the write portion and it needs to be able to write on the blank DVD in order to complete the process. Then follow the rest of the steps and complete the process. THAT’S IT !!! Congratulations, you can now use 100% of you DVD device. Please feel free to contact me with any questions or comments. Sincerely Skeeter.Gz@live.com
    Sunday, March 21, 2010 1:10 AM
  • I found the resolution to the Matshita DVD-Ram UJ-850s ATA Device Drivers and it works for many other device driver issues. This works for Microsoft Vista Home Premium Please follow directions carefully or either the Read or the Write will not work. In order for this to work - (YOU WILL NEED A BLANK DVD AND A FULL DVD WITH SOME KIND OF PROGRAM ON IT) http://support.microsoft.com/fixit#tab2 Click (or copy and paste) the link above to begin the process. Click on the first option Your CD/DVD drive cannot read or write media in Windows Vista. Click on the big “RUN NOW” button to the right, then select “Continue” when your computer asks your permission. Then Select Detect problems and apply the fixes for me (Recommended). It gives you two options “Read a CD/DVD and Write a CD/DVD” you will need to run both options separately once for each issue you’re having with your hardware. You will see your device listed, click on your device. It will ask you for a disc. For the Read part of it, you need to insert a DVD Disc with something on it such as a program, of any kind. Insert the disc and click on your device. NOTE: If you forget to insert a full DVD Disc your DVD Device door will pop out, then you will be forced to insert a DVD disc with a program on it. The program will continue and configure your DVD device. After it completes return back to the first page where it says “RUN NOW”. Click on “RUN NOW’ again and follow the same steps. When you see the screen with the two options “Read a CD/DVD and Write a CD/DVD” and “Write a CD/DVD”, this time select “Write a CD/DVD” option. NOTE: IT IS VERY IMPORTANT THAT YOU INSERT A BLANK DVD IN ORDER TO COMPLETE THIS PROCESS. The program is configuring the write portion and it needs to be able to write on the blank DVD in order to complete the process. Then follow the rest of the steps and complete the process. THAT’S IT !!! Congratulations, you can now use 100% of you DVD device. Please feel free to contact me with any questions or comments. Sincerely Skeeter.Gz@live.com
    Sunday, March 21, 2010 1:16 AM
  • NO NEED TO ALTER THE REGISTRY, SIMPLY FOLLOW THESE INSTRUCTIONS. I found the resolution to the Matshita DVD-Ram UJ-850s ATA Device Drivers and it works for many other device driver issues. This works for Microsoft Vista Home Premium Please follow directions carefully or either the Read or the Write will not work. In order for this to work - (YOU WILL NEED A BLANK DVD AND A FULL DVD WITH SOME KIND OF PROGRAM ON IT) http://support.microsoft.com/fixit#tab2 Click (or copy and paste) the link above to begin the process. Click on the first option Your CD/DVD drive cannot read or write media in Windows Vista. Click on the big “RUN NOW” button to the right, then select “Continue” when your computer asks your permission. Then Select Detect problems and apply the fixes for me (Recommended). It gives you two options “Read a CD/DVD and Write a CD/DVD” you will need to run both options separately once for each issue you’re having with your hardware. You will see your device listed, click on your device. It will ask you for a disc. For the Read part of it, you need to insert a DVD Disc with something on it such as a program, of any kind. Insert the disc and click on your device. NOTE: If you forget to insert a full DVD Disc your DVD Device door will pop out, then you will be forced to insert a DVD disc with a program on it. The program will continue and configure your DVD device. After it completes return back to the first page where it says “RUN NOW”. Click on “RUN NOW’ again and follow the same steps. When you see the screen with the two options “Read a CD/DVD and Write a CD/DVD” and “Write a CD/DVD”, this time select “Write a CD/DVD” option. NOTE: IT IS VERY IMPORTANT THAT YOU INSERT A BLANK DVD IN ORDER TO COMPLETE THIS PROCESS. The program is configuring the write portion and it needs to be able to write on the blank DVD in order to complete the process. Then follow the rest of the steps and complete the process. THAT’S IT !!! Congratulations, you can now use 100% of you DVD device. Please feel free to contact me with any questions or comments. Sincerely Skeeter.Gz@live.com
    Sunday, March 21, 2010 1:17 AM
    Sunday, March 21, 2010 1:18 AM
  • NO NEED TO ALTER YOUR REGISTRY, THIS IS THE DIRECT PATH VIA MICROSOFT FOR THE ACTUAL DRIVERS. THIS WORKS FOR OTHER DVD DEVICE'S ALSO.

I found the resolution to the Matshita DVD-Ram UJ-850s ATA Device Drivers and it works for many other device driver issues. This works for Microsoft Vista Home Premium Please follow directions carefully or either the Read or the Write will not work. In order for this to work - (YOU WILL NEED A BLANK DVD AND A FULL DVD WITH SOME KIND OF PROGRAM ON IT)

http://support.microsoft.com/fixit#tab2

Click (or copy and paste) the link above to begin the process. Click on the first option Your CD/DVD drive cannot read or write media in Windows Vista. Click on the big “RUN NOW” button to the right, then select “Continue” when your computer asks your permission. Then Select Detect problems and apply the fixes for me (Recommended). It gives you two options “Read a CD/DVD and Write a CD/DVD” you will need to run both options separately once for each issue you’re having with your hardware. You will see your device listed, click on your device. It will ask you for a disc. For the Read part of it, you need to insert a DVD Disc with something on it such as a program, of any kind. Insert the disc and click on your device.

NOTE: If you forget to insert a full DVD Disc your DVD Device door will pop out, then you will be forced to insert a DVD disc with a program on it. The program will continue and configure your DVD device. After it completes return back to the first page where it says “RUN NOW”. Click on “RUN NOW’ again and follow the same steps. When you see the screen with the two options “Read a CD/DVD and Write a CD/DVD” and “Write a CD/DVD”, this time select “Write a CD/DVD” option. NOTE: IT IS VERY IMPORTANT THAT YOU INSERT A BLANK DVD IN ORDER TO COMPLETE THIS PROCESS.

The program is configuring the write portion and it needs to be able to write on the blank DVD in order to complete the process. Then follow the rest of the steps and complete the process. THAT’S IT !!! Congratulations, you can now use 100% of you DVD device.

Sincerely Skeeter
    Skeeter.Gz@live.com

Sunday, March 21, 2010 1:26 AM
  • THIS IS INTENDED TO WORK WITH VISTA.

NO NEED TO ALTER YOUR REGISTRY, THIS IS THE DIRECT PATH VIA MICROSOFT FOR THE ACTUAL DRIVERS. THIS WORKS FOR OTHER CD/DVD DEVICES.

I found the resolution to the Matshita DVD-Ram UJ-850s ATA Device Drivers and it works for many other device driver issues. This works for Microsoft Vista Home Premium Please follow directions carefully or either the Read or the Write of you device will not work. In order for this to work - (YOU WILL NEED A BLANK DVD AND A FULL DVD WITH SOME KIND OF PROGRAM ON IT) http://support.microsoft.com/fixit#tab2

NOTE: IT IS VERY IMPORTANT THAT YOU INSERT A BLANK DVD IN ORDER TO COMPLETE THIS PROCESS. The program is configuring the write portion and it needs to be able to write on the blank DVD in order to complete the process. Then follow the rest of the steps and complete the process.

THAT’S IT !!! Congratulations, you can now use 100% of you DVD device.
    Sincerely Skeeter
    Skeeter.Gz@live.com

Sunday, March 21, 2010 1:34 AM
  • THIS IS INTENDED TO WORK WITH VISTA NO NEED TO ALTER YOUR REGISTRY, THIS IS THE DIRECT PATH VIA MICROSOFT FOR THE ACTUAL DRIVERS. THIS WORKS FOR OTHER DVD DEVICES ALSO.

I found the resolution to the Matshita DVD-Ram UJ-850s ATA Device Drivers and it works for many other device driver issues. This works for Microsoft Vista Home Premium Please follow directions carefully or either the Read or the Write of you device will not work. In order for this to work - (YOU WILL NEED A BLANK DVD AND A FULL DVD WITH SOME KIND OF PROGRAM ON IT)

Click (or copy and paste) the link above to begin the process. Click on the first option Your CD/DVD drive cannot read or write media in Windows Vista. Click on the big “RUN NOW” button to the right, then select “Continue” when your computer asks your permission. Then Select Detect problems and apply the fixes for me (Recommended). It gives you two options “Read a CD/DVD and Write a CD/DVD” you will need to run both options separately once for each issue you’re having with your hardware.

You will see your device listed, click on your device. It will ask you for a disc. For the Read part of it, you need to insert a DVD Disc with something on it such as a program, of any kind. Insert the disc and click on your device.

NOTE: If you forget to insert a full DVD Disc your DVD Device door will pop out, then you will be forced to insert a DVD disc with a program on it. The program will continue and configure your DVD device. After it completes return back to the first page where it says “RUN NOW”. Click on “RUN NOW’ again and follow the same steps.

When you see the screen with the two options “Read a CD/DVD and Write a CD/DVD” and “Write a CD/DVD”, this time select “Write a CD/DVD” option. NOTE: IT IS VERY IMPORTANT THAT YOU INSERT A BLANK DVD IN ORDER TO COMPLETE THIS PROCESS. The program is configuring the write portion and it needs to be able to write on the blank DVD in order to complete the process.

Then follow the rest of the steps and complete the process. THAT’S IT !!! Congratulations, you can now use 100% of you DVD device. Please feel free to contact me with any questions or comments.

Sincerely Skeeter
    Skeeter.Gz@live.com

Sunday, March 21, 2010 1:38 AM
  • THIS IS INTENDED TO WORK WITH VISTA. NO NEED TO ALTER YOUR REGISTRY, THIS IS THE DIRECT PATH VIA MICROSOFT FOR THE ACTUAL DRIVERS. THIS WORKS FOR OTHER DVD DEVICES ALSO.

I found the resolution to the Matshita DVD-Ram UJ-850s ATA Device Drivers and it works for many other device driver issues. This works for Microsoft Vista Home Premium.

Please follow directions carefully or either the Read or the Write of you device will not work. In order for this to work - (YOU WILL NEED A BLANK DVD AND A FULL DVD WITH SOME KIND OF PROGRAM ON IT) http://support.microsoft.com/fixit#tab2

Click (or copy and paste) the link above to begin the process. Click on the first option Your CD/DVD drive cannot read or write media in Windows Vista. Click on the big “RUN NOW” button to the right, then select “Continue” when your computer asks your permission.
    Then Select Detect problems and apply the fixes for me (Recommended). It gives you two options “Read a CD/DVD and Write a CD/DVD” you will need to run both options separately once for each issue you’re having with your hardware. You will see your device listed, click on your device.
    It will ask you for a disc. For the Read part of it, you need to insert a DVD Disc with something on it such as a program, of any kind. Insert the disc and click on your device.

NOTE: If you forget to insert a full DVD Disc your DVD Device door will pop out, then you will be forced to insert a DVD disc with a program on it. The program will continue and configure your DVD device.

After it completes return back to the first page where it says “RUN NOW”. Click on “RUN NOW’ again and follow the same steps. When you see the screen with the two options “Read a CD/DVD and Write a CD/DVD” and “Write a CD/DVD”, this time select “Write a CD/DVD” option.

NOTE: IT IS VERY IMPORTANT THAT YOU INSERT A BLANK DVD IN ORDER TO COMPLETE THIS PROCESS. The program is configuring the write portion and it needs to be able to write on the blank DVD in order to complete the process. Then follow the rest of the steps and complete the process. THAT’S IT !!! Congratulations, you can now use 100% of you DVD device. Please feel free to contact me with any questions or comments.
    After the process completes, restart your computer.

Sincerely Skeeter
    Skeeter.Gz@live.com

Sunday, March 21, 2010 1:42 AM
  • I have the exact same computer as you do and this is the very best way to obtain the drivers for your CD/DVD Blueray ATA device.
    This works for Vista Home Premium and it's the actual drivers so you can back them up for a later crash. 
    NO NEED TO ALTER YOUR REGISTRY, THIS IS THE DIRECT PATH VIA MICROSOFT FOR THE ACTUAL DRIVERS. THIS WORKS FOR OTHER DVD DEVICES ALSO.

I found the resolution to the Matshita DVD-Ram UJ-850s ATA Device Drivers and it works for many other device driver issues. This works for Microsoft Vista Home Premium Please follow directions carefully or either the Read or the Write of you device will not work.

In order for this to work - (YOU WILL NEED A BLANK DVD AND A FULL DVD WITH SOME KIND OF PROGRAM ON IT) http://support.microsoft.com/fixit#tab2

Click (or copy and paste) the link above to begin the process. Click on the first option Your CD/DVD drive cannot read or write media in Windows Vista. Click on the big “RUN NOW” button to the right, then select “Continue” when your computer asks your permission. Then Select Detect problems and apply the fixes for me (Recommended).

It gives you two options “Read a CD/DVD and Write a CD/DVD” you will need to run both options separately once for each issue you’re having with your hardware. You will see your device listed, click on your device. It will ask you for a disc. For the Read part of it, you need to insert a DVD Disc with something on it such as a program, of any kind. Insert the disc and click on your device.

NOTE: IT IS VERY IMPORTANT THAT YOU INSERT A BLANK DVD IN ORDER TO COMPLETE THIS PROCESS. The program is configuring the write portion and it needs to be able to write on the blank DVD in order to complete the process. Then follow the rest of the steps and complete the process. THAT’S IT !!!
    Congratulations, you can now use 100% of you DVD device.

Please feel free to contact me with any questions or comments. AND YOU CAN BACK UP THESE DRIVERS IN CASE YOU NEED THEM AGAIN LATER

• Proposed as answer by SkeeterGz Sunday, March 21, 2010 2:40 AM
    Sunday, March 21, 2010 1:46 AM
  • THIS IS INTENDED TO WORK WITH VISTA

***** NO NEED TO ALTER YOUR REGISTRY *****

THIS IS THE DIRECT PATH VIA MICROSOFT FOR THE ACTUAL DRIVERS. THIS WORKS FOR OTHER DVD DEVICES ALSO.

I found the resolution to the Matshita DVD-Ram UJ-850s ATA Device Drivers and it works for many other device driver issues. This works for Microsoft Vista Home Premium Please follow directions carefully or either the Read or the Write of you device will not work.

In order for this to work (YOU WILL NEED A BLANK DVD AND A FULL DVD WITH SOME KIND OF PROGRAM ON IT)

Click (or copy and paste) the link above to begin the process. Click on the first option Your CD/DVD drive cannot read or write media in Windows Vista. Click on the big “RUN NOW” button to the right, then select “Continue” when your computer asks your permission.

Then Select Detect problems and apply the fixes for me (Recommended). It gives you two options “Read a CD/DVD and Write a CD/DVD” you will need to run both options separately once for each issue you’re having with your hardware.

You will see your device listed, click on your device. It will ask you for a disc. For the Read part of it, you need to insert a DVD Disc with something on it such as a program, of any kind. Insert the disc and click on your device.

NOTE: If you forget to insert a full DVD Disc your DVD Device door will pop out, then you will be forced to insert a DVD disc with a program on it. The program will continue and configure your DVD device. After it completes return back to the first page where it says “RUN NOW”. Click on “RUN NOW’ again and follow the same steps.

When you see the screen with the two options “Read a CD/DVD and Write a CD/DVD” and “Write a CD/DVD”, this time select “Write a CD/DVD” option.

THAT’S IT !!! Congratulations, you can now use 100% of you DVD device. Please feel free to contact me with any questions or comments. AND YOU CAN BACK UP THESE DRIVERS IN CASE YOU NEED THEM AGAIN LATER Sincerely Skeeter Skeeter.Gz@live.com

Sunday, March 21, 2010 1:51 AM
  •                                            ***** NO NEED TO ALTER YOUR REGISTRY *****

THIS IS THE DIRECT PATH VIA MICROSOFT FOR THE ACTUAL DRIVERS. THIS WORKS FOR OTHER CD/DVD DEVICES ALSO.

In order for this to work - (YOU WILL NEED A BLANK DVD AND A FULL DVD WITH SOME KIND OF PROGRAM ON

Click (or copy and paste) the link above to begin the process. Click on the first option "Your CD/DVD drive cannot read or write media in Windows Vista"
    Click on the big “RUN NOW” button to the right, then select “Continue” when your computer asks your permission. Then Select Detect problems and apply the fixes for me (Recommended).
    It gives you two options “Read a CD/DVD and Write a CD/DVD” you will need to run both options separately once for each issue you’re having with your hardware. You will see your device listed, click on your device. It will ask you for a disc.
    For the Read part of it, you need to insert a DVD Disc with something on it such as a program, of any kind. Insert the disc and click on your device.

When you see the screen with the two options “Read a CD/DVD and Write a CD/DVD” and “Write a CD/DVD”, this time select “Write a CD/DVD” option.

NOTE: IT IS VERY IMPORTANT THAT YOU INSERT A BLANK DVD IN ORDER TO COMPLETE THIS PROCESS. The program is configuring the write portion and it needs to be able to write on the blank DVD in order to complete the process. It may be required to restart your computer after the process is complete.

Then follow the rest of the steps and complete the process.
    THAT’S IT !!! Congratulations, you can now use 100% of you DVD device. Please feel free to contact me with any questions or comments.

Sunday, March 21, 2010 2:06 AM
  •                                            ***** NO NEED TO ALTER YOUR REGISTRY *****

THIS IS THE DIRECT PATH VIA MICROSOFT FOR THE ACTUAL DRIVERS. THIS WORKS FOR OTHER DVD DEVICES. THIS IS INTENDED TO WORK WITH VISTA AND ARE THE ACTUAL DRIVERS FOR YOUR CD/DVD DEVICE BY MICROSOFT FOR VISTA

In order for this to work - (YOU WILL NEED A BLANK DVD AND A FULL DVD WITH SOME KIND OF PROGRAM ON

Click (or copy and paste) the link above to begin the process. Click on the first option Your CD/DVD drive cannot read or write media in Windows Vista. Click on the big “RUN NOW” button to the right, then select “Continue” when your computer asks your permission. Then Select Detect problems and apply the fixes for me (Recommended).

It gives you two options “Read a CD/DVD and Write a CD/DVD” you will need to run both options separately once for each issue you’re having with your hardware. You will see your device listed, click on your device. It will ask you for a disc. For the Read part of it, you need to insert a DVD Disc with something on it such as a program, of any kind. Insert the disc and click on your device.

NOTE: IT IS VERY IMPORTANT THAT YOU INSERT A BLANK DVD IN ORDER TO COMPLETE THIS PROCESS. The program is configuring the write portion and it needs to be able to write on the blank DVD in order to complete the process.

Then follow the rest of the steps and complete the process. THAT’S IT !!!
    Congratulations, you can now use 100% of you DVD device. Please feel free to contact me with any questions or comments. 

YOU CAN BACK UP THESE DRIVERS IN CASE YOU NEED THEM AGAIN LATER

Sunday, March 21, 2010 2:13 AM
  •                                                ***** NO NEED TO ALTER YOUR REGISTRY *****
    Hi Crayirish, I'm positive this will work for your computer. It will resolve your CD/DVD issues.
    it's truely a GREAT Microsoft program.
    THIS IS THE DIRECT PATH TO A MICROSOFT WEBSITE FOR THE ACTUAL DEVICE DRIVERS. THIS WORKS FOR OTHER DVD DEVICES ALSO.

I found the resolution to the Matshita DVD-Ram UJ-850s ATA Device Drivers and it works for many other device driver issues. This works for Microsoft Vista Home Premium Please follow directions carefully or either the Read or the Write features of you device will not work.
    In order for this to work -(YOU WILL NEED A BLANK DVD AND A FULL DVD WITH SOME KIND OF PROGRAM ON IT)

Click (or copy and paste) the link above to begin the process. Click on the first option Your CD/DVD drive cannot read or write media in Windows Vista. Click on the big “RUN NOW” button to the right, then when your computer asks your permission select “Continue”. Then Select Detect problems and apply the fixes for me (Recommended)

NOTE: If you forget to insert a full DVD Disc your DVD Device door will pop out, then you will need to insert a DVD disc with a program on it. The program will continue and configure your DVD device. After it completes return back to the first page where it says “RUN NOW”. Click on “RUN NOW’ again and follow the same steps.

NOTE: IT IS VERY IMPORTANT THAT YOU INSERT A BLANK DVD IN ORDER TO COMPLETE THIS PROCESS.

The program is configuring the write portion and it needs to be able to write on the blank DVD in order to complete the process. Then follow the rest of the steps and complete the process. THAT’S IT !!!
    You may need to restart your computer after running the "Fix it" resolution program

Congratulations, you can now use 100% of you DVD device. Please feel free to contact me with any questions or comments. 

Sunday, March 21, 2010 2:38 AM
  • ***** NO NEED TO ALTER YOUR REGISTRY *****

THIS IS A DIRECT PATH VIA MICROSOFT FOR THE ACTUAL DRIVERS. THIS WORKS FOR OTHER DVD DEVICES

In order for this to work -(YOU WILL NEED A BLANK DVD AND A FULL DVD WITH SOME KIND OF PROGRAM ON IT)

NOTE: IT IS VERY IMPORTANT THAT YOU INSERT A BLANK DVD IN ORDER TO COMPLETE THIS PROCESS. The program is configuring the write portion and it needs to be able to write on the blank DVD in order to complete the process. Then follow the rest of the steps and complete the process. THAT’S IT !!!

Congratulations, you can now use 100% of you DVD device. Please feel free to contact me with any questions or comments. AND YOU CAN BACK UP THESE DRIVERS IN CASE YOU NEED THEM AGAIN LATER

Sunday, March 21, 2010 2:45 AM
  •                                                ***** NO NEED TO ALTER YOUR REGISTRY *****

THIS IS THE DIRECT PATH VIA MICROSOFT FOR THE ACTUAL DRIVERS. THIS WORKS FOR OTHER DVD DEVICES

I found the resolution to the Matshita DVD-Ram UJ-850s ATA Device Drivers and it works for many other device driver issues. This works for Microsoft Vista Home Premium Please follow directions carefully or either the Read or the Write of you device will not work. In order for this to work - (YOU WILL NEED A BLANK DVD AND A FULL DVD WITH SOME KIND OF PROGRAM ON IT)

Click (or copy and paste) the link above to begin the process. Click on the first option Your CD/DVD drive cannot read or write media in Windows Vista. Click on the big “RUN NOW” button to the right, then select “Continue” when your computer asks your permission. Then Select Detect problems and apply the fixes for me (Recommended). It gives you two options “Read a CD/DVD and Write a CD/DVD” you will need to run both options separately once for each issue you’re having with your hardware.

You may need to restart your computer after the process is complete.

Congratulations, you can now use 100% of you DVD device. Please feel free to contact me with any questions or comments. AND YOU CAN BACK UP THESE DRIVERS IN CASE YOU NEED THEM AGAIN LATER

Sunday, March 21, 2010 2:49 AM
  • *****  NO NEED TO ALTER YOUR REGISTRY *****
     THIS IS THE DIRECT PATH VIA MICROSOFT FOR THE ACTUAL DRIVERS. THIS WORKS FOR OTHER DVD DEVICES ALSO.

NOTE: IT IS VERY IMPORTANT THAT YOU INSERT A BLANK DVD IN ORDER TO COMPLETE THIS PROCESS. The program is configuring the write portion and it needs to be able to write on the blank DVD in order to complete the process. Then follow the rest of the steps and complete the process. THAT’S IT !!! Congratulations, you can now use 100% of you DVD device. Please feel free to contact me with any questions or comments.

Sunday, March 21, 2010 2:55 AM
  • Question