none
Can Storage Spaces pool be attached to reinstalled Windows 8?

Question

• I'd like to set up a Windows 8 machine as a home "NAS" and have a question about Storage Spaces for that use case.

My machine is an old desktop with 5 HDDs attached and I'm planning on doing this:

* Install Windows 8 on Disk 1
    * Add disks 2 - 5 to a storage pool and store all the data on it

I understand that if any one of disks 2 to 5 dies, it's not a problem at all - I will simply replace with a new one and there will be no data loss nor "service disruption". However, what happens if Disk 1 fails? Surely there will be downtime but when I get a replacement disk for position 1 and reinstall Windows 8 on it, will I be able to attach the existing storage pool (disks 2-5) to it?

I'm asking because in the past, I've been bit a similar issue with Hyper-V: I thought that when I have the virtual machines stored on some safe place (a "D:" drive which was backed up several times but C: wasn't) and my Windows disk fails, I would be able to simply reinstall Windows and open the existing virtual machines again. But that was not true with Hyper-V - when you lose your main Windows installation, there is no way to later "attach" or "open" virtual machines. So I just want to makes sure that this is not the case with Storage Spaces.

Sunday, August 19, 2012 9:02 AM

Answers

• That isn't the case with Hyper-V v3, the one in Windows 8 Client and
    Windows 2012 -- they can import a VM without it have been exported.  No
    need to recreate the whole VM and attach the VHD's any more and it
    works better than Export/Import did in Hyper-V v2.

I was able to import all my test VM's in less than 5 minutes when I
    installed Windows 8 Pro. (fresh install)

Bob Comer - Microsoft MVP Virtual Machine
    Sunday, August 19, 2012 2:17 PM

All replies

•  But that was not true with Hyper-V - when you lose your main Windows installation, there is no way to later "attach" or "open" virtual machines.

Really? I plan to use Hyper-V on my new Win8 box, but if this is true, will stay with VirtualBox.

-- pa

Sunday, August 19, 2012 1:58 PM
  • Yes, strangely enough, even when you have every single file that Hyper-V produces on safe place somewhere, you cannot re-open those VMs under the freshly installed Windows. You need to recreate all the machines and re-attach VHDs. (The only way to import existing VMs is when you have explicitly exported them previously when it's obviously not the case when you're dealing with disaster recovery.)
    Sunday, August 19, 2012 2:07 PM
  • That isn't the case with Hyper-V v3, the one in Windows 8 Client and
    Windows 2012 -- they can import a VM without it have been exported.  No
    need to recreate the whole VM and attach the VHD's any more and it
    works better than Export/Import did in Hyper-V v2.

I was able to import all my test VM's in less than 5 minutes when I
    installed Windows 8 Pro. (fresh install)

Bob Comer - Microsoft MVP Virtual Machine
    Sunday, August 19, 2012 2:17 PM
  • That's fantastic news! Thanks.
    Sunday, August 19, 2012 2:19 PM
  • I have this exact problem and NEED an answer.

Scenario:

Disk 1 = SSD Windows 8 Install

Disks 2-6 = HDs with 2 "Storage Spaces",

Space 1= Data,

Space 2 = Media

I have an Image of Windows 8 (Disk1) stored on Storage Space in "Data"  I have extensive experience in backing up and have all files on Crashplan and off-site at work.  The problem is that I use Windows 8 as a server in my home.  I use Plex for media and have shares for "data" for each user profile.

I have spent significant time configuring the Windows Install to act as a fantastic server, and chose this option BECAUSE of the storage spaces feature.  

I have the "data" backed up elsewhere, however due to the size, the "media" consisting of movies is not backed up and only exists on storage spaces.  The Image of Windows 8 is also only located in the storage spaces, an oversight that will NOT happen again

During an upgrade to 8.1 my Windows became unbootable and can not be restored due to corrupt files.  I have re-installed Windows 8 in hopes it would rebuild the storage spaces so I can retrieve the image, as well as backup all data (if needed) outside of storage spaces.  Windows 8 has been reinstalled, but I recieve no information on the other disks or any indication of their existence in storage spaces.  How do I mount the storage spaces or rebuild them from my new windows install to retrieve the data?

Friday, December 27, 2013 4:59 PM
  • I have this exact problem and NEED an answer.

Scenario:

Disk 1 = SSD Windows 8 Install

Disks 2-6 = HDs with 2 "Storage Spaces",

Space 1= Data,

Space 2 = Media

I have an Image of Windows 8 (Disk1) stored on Storage Space in "Data"  I have extensive experience in backing up and have all files on Crashplan and off-site at work.  The problem is that I use Windows 8 as a server in my home.  I use Plex for media and have shares for "data" for each user profile.

I have spent significant time configuring the Windows Install to act as a fantastic server, and chose this option BECAUSE of the storage spaces feature.  

I have the "data" backed up elsewhere, however due to the size, the "media" consisting of movies is not backed up and only exists on storage spaces.  The Image of Windows 8 is also only located in the storage spaces, an oversight that will NOT happen again

During an upgrade to 8.1 my Windows became unbootable and can not be restored due to corrupt files.  I have re-installed Windows 8 in hopes it would rebuild the storage spaces so I can retrieve the image, as well as backup all data (if needed) outside of storage spaces.  Windows 8 has been reinstalled, but I recieve no information on the other disks or any indication of their existence in storage spaces.  How do I mount the storage spaces or rebuild them from my new windows install to retrieve the data?

I remember experimenting with the storage space in windows 8. I did a new install. windows 8 storage space use a format that windows 8 recognized as an extended storage disk, all my data was viewable after setup, I did not have to do a thing. To mount the disk you do that with disk manager.
    • Edited by colakid Saturday, December 28, 2013 12:23 AM
    Saturday, December 28, 2013 12:23 AM