none
Windows 7 crashes whenever I browse for a file from a browser

Question

• Hi folks,

I am having a weird problem. I did not have it until a couple of months ago so it must be some program or Windows update. I ran my antivirus plus malwarebytes and there are no viruses on my machine. 

Whenever I browse for a file from any browser: Chrome, Explorer, FireFox my machine crashes (blue screen). I played with some add-ons, I even uninstalled Adobe Flash player. I even tried attaching a file from Outlook and got the same problem. 

I tried a suggestion from here: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itproperf/thread/507f60db-ee90-4e7d-8a33-37fe15bd9233

I donwloaded reg file. When my machine rebooted I did not find any files under C:\LocalDumps

I can't find any useful information in Windows logs other than saying that Windows crashed unexpectedly.

I would appreciate any help.

Thanks!

Stan

Monday, November 05, 2012 4:01 AM

All replies

• Please provide us with your Event Viewer administrative logs by following these steps:

Click Start Menu
    Type eventvwr into Search programs and files (do not hit enter)
    Right click eventvwr.exe and click Run as administrator
    Expand Custom Views
    Click Administrative Events
    Right click Administrative Events
    Save all Events in Custom View As...
    Save them in a folder where you will remember which folder and save as Errors.evtx
    Go to where you saved Errors.evtx
    Right click Errors.evtx -> send to -> compressed (zipped) folder
    Upload the .zip file here (if you can) to skydrive or a file sharing service

MS-MVP 2010, 2011, 2012 Sysnative.com Team ZigZag

Tuesday, November 06, 2012 12:03 AM
  • Hi,

I am currently standing by for an update from you and would like to know how things are going. If you have any feedback, please let us know.

Niki
    TechNet Subscriber Support
    If you are TechNet Subscription user and have any feedback on our support quality, please send your feedback here.

Niki Han

TechNet Community Support

Thursday, November 08, 2012 3:43 AM
  • I just caused my pc to crash and saved a zipped Custom Views as a .rar file. Not sure if you can unzip. I don't have any other option when I right click. Here is a link to SkyDrive:

https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=C22A1EBDC6E428F!159

Let me know if you can access the file. If you can't, I'll try another method. The latest error happened at about 10:54PM on 11/7/2012.

Stan

• Edited by suslikovich Monday, November 12, 2012 3:31 AM
    Thursday, November 08, 2012 4:21 AM
  • Hi,

I would like to verify if the issue only occurs when using browsing. How about using Windows Explorer or other application?

1. Please using Internet Explorer with no add-ons mode. Click Start -> All Programs -> Accessories -> System Tools -> Internet Explorer (No Add-ons).
    2. Download Hijackthis and use it fix the issue.
    3. When booting the computer, keep pressing F8 to access advanced boot menu. Then test the issue in Safe Mode with networking
    4. Use Disk Cleanup tool to free up disk space.
    5. Update all necessary drivers from manufacturer's website.

How to collect mini dump file
    -----------------------------------
    1. Click Start- > type sysdm.cpl  -> Advanced tab
    2. Click Settings…button under Startup and Recovery catalog
    3. Under Write debugging information, select Small memory dump(128KB)
    4. The next time you get the blue screen, please upload the mini dump from C:\Windows\Minidump

Niki
    If you are TechNet Subscription user and have any feedback on our support quality, please send your feedback here.

Niki Han

Wednesday, November 14, 2012 2:59 AM
  • Niki,

Thank you for your help.

1.  Internet Explorer (No Add-ons) - still the same issue. It happens only when I use any kind of a browser. If I just use Windows Explorer, I don't get it.
    2. I downloaded Hijackthis. Ran it and wanted to analyze items from the list. When I check an item and click Analyze This button. I see "No Internet Connection" message although I do have a connection. I placed a hijackthis log in the same folder from my previous post. I also placed a minidump there.
    3. When I tested the issue in Safe Mode with networking I do not have that problem.
    4. I have plenty of free space on my machine. But I cleaned it anyway. No help.
    5. All driver's are pretty much up to date.

Stan

Friday, November 16, 2012 2:47 AM
  • If the issue doesn't occur in Safe Mode, it can be caused by incorrect driver or third party software confliction. Please upload your dump file to SkyDrive and make it public.

Based on the current situation, please test the issue in clean boot and run a full scan for your computer.

Niki

Niki Han

Monday, November 19, 2012 2:27 AM
  • Niki,

I placed the dump file in the same folder and it is public: https://skydrive.live.com/?cid=0c22a1ebdc6e428f&id=C22A1EBDC6E428F%21159

Please, let me know if you have problem accessing it. I scan my machine with the antivirus and MalwareBytes and no viruses were found.

Stan

Monday, November 19, 2012 4:37 AM
  • From the dump file, I notice the root cause ksecdd.sys. The Bsod Ksecdd.sys error is usually as a result of Windows system damage. Broken system files are often a substantial threat to the life of any personal computer.

Please try the following method to repair the corrupted system file.

1. Perform system restore to a healthy situation.
    2. Perform system file checker.

If the issue persists, please try a repair install (in-place upgrade).
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2255099

Niki Han

Monday, November 26, 2012 6:18 AM
  • Niki,

I did the system restore but my last version was very recent and so that did not help.

I then ran a system file checker. It did not find any problems.

I do not have the Windows 7 DVD so I can't use the in-place upgrade. I purchased my PC with Windows installed so I guess I can get Windows from the Microsoft site.

Stan

Stan

Friday, November 30, 2012 4:45 AM
  • Niki, I have some major issues. I downloaded a Windows 7 Pro iso file and created a bootable DVD and even a USB drive for faster install. In the beginning of the install my system reboots and I get the same blue screen I am getting why trying to attach files in browser. So, I can't re-install (upgrade) my Windows 7. Is there any other way to fix my system

Stan

Wednesday, December 05, 2012 9:41 PM
  • Thank you for your reply. As I mentioned I downloaded Win 7 Pro iso file and burnt a DVD and a USB stick. When I try to upgrade, somewhere where you see Gathering files, settings and programs, the PC crashes. When I run certain hard drive diagnostics, the PC crashes. I installed a little program called BlueScreenView and was able to get the names of the drives causing the system to crash. I see a bunch of them:

ntoskrnl.exe
    ctxusbm.sys
    umbus.sys
    raspptp.sys
    swenum.sys
    wmiacpi.sys
    RDPCDD.sys
    mouclass.sys
    dfsc.sys
    CompositeBus.sys
    rdpencdd.sys
    fltmgr.sys
    netbios.sys

Can I upgrade my Win 7 in Safe Mode? When I am in Safe Mode I can attach files to an email message with no problems and my PC doesn't crash.

Stan

Friday, December 07, 2012 4:02 AM