none
Microsoft Windows 8 Professional OEM from 64 bit to 32 bit - asking for product key

Question

• We have bought preinstalled Windows 8 Professional OEM 64 bit, however the customer wanted to have fresh installation of the OS to 32bit. So we provided them 32 bit but the system is now asking for a product key. I already raised this to the manufacturer of the desktop but they don't release 32bit. Please help where can I get the product key for the 32bit. 
    Wednesday, April 10, 2013 2:07 AM

All replies

• We have bought preinstalled Windows 8 Professional OEM 64 bit, however the customer wanted to have fresh installation of the OS to 32bit. So we provided them 32 bit but the system is now asking for a product key. I already raised this to the manufacturer of the desktop but they don't release 32bit. Please help where can I get the product key for the 32bit. 

Hi

If this was anything except a pre-installed version of Windows 8, you could just use the same product key that was used for the 64bit installation.

However, when Windows 8 comes pre-installed from the OEM manufacturer the product Key is imbedded in the BIOS.

I don't know of any way to extract that key from the BIOS.

Regards

Wednesday, April 10, 2013 4:24 AM
  • Which ISO do you use? Only the clean MSDN/Technet ISOs work.

You can also use R&W Everything to get the Key (under ACPI->MSDM Table):

http://rweverything.com/

"A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code"

Wednesday, April 10, 2013 4:50 AM
  • Hi Andre, can you explain to me how this thing work for me to get the key for 32bit key? thank you
    Thursday, April 11, 2013 7:25 AM
  • So based on what you're saying that it should work if I have win8 professional 32bit from clean MSDN, right?  So it will not look for product key anymore if we are going to use the iso file from MSDN. Please advice. thank you.
    • Edited by Gyo Wun Thursday, April 11, 2013 7:52 AM
    Thursday, April 11, 2013 7:43 AM
  • Hi,

The unit comes with preinstalled OS of Windows 8 Professional 64-bit. I'm having now a hard time where to get that product key since it's injected on the BIOS :(

Thursday, April 11, 2013 7:55 AM
  • Have you tried to use the OEM product key to activate the 32bit system?

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”

Thursday, April 11, 2013 8:04 AM
  • I've tried using Windows 8 Professional 32 bit from clean MSDN but its still asking for product key from the first part of installation. Kindly advice what step should I do next?thank you.
    Thursday, April 11, 2013 8:26 AM
  • Hi Andre, can you explain to me how this thing work for me to get the key for 32bit key? thank you

Boot into the 64Bit Win8, run the tool I linked and look in the ACPI-MSDM table.

YOu can also try this tool:

http://forums.mydigitallife.info/threads/30363-Windows-8-Product-Key-Viewer

It can also read the MSDM key (OEM key)

Thursday, April 11, 2013 6:00 PM
  • You will need to tell your customer they will have to purchase a new Windows 8 32-bit license for each PC and perform a "clean install".  Example: Microsoft Windows 8 Professional 32-bit (Full Version)            

Carey Frisch

Thursday, April 11, 2013 6:30 PM
  • We don't have the OEM product key for the 32bit system and that's our problem since product key is already embedded on the bios in win8. The manufacturer of the unit does not release media kit for win8 32bit.
    Friday, April 12, 2013 1:32 AM
  • Hi Andrei, what's the exact name of the tool that i can download from r&w everything?

Friday, April 12, 2013 2:39 AM
  • Question, does windows 8 64bit and windows 8 32bit has the same product key? thanks

Friday, April 12, 2013 2:58 AM
  • Please review:

Will a clean install of Windows 8 recognize an OEM license/product key?

"If the OEM machine has a UEFI which is an interface between your OS and the BIOS then your OS will use Activation 3.0 whether Windows 7 or 8. You will not get a Certificate of Authenticity (COA) period. The COA is in the BIOS, all you will have is a small square Windows 8 logo decal. I'm receiving Lenovo desktops now preloaded with Win7x64 and included Win8 upgrade media at our depot now. Many clients cannot use x64 for their specialized software. If I image a Win7x86 on it, keeping all hardware exactly as it was, the embedded COA is useless even if I manually entered the key which I extracted from the registry earlier. The key will have an OEM block on it and will not activate and Lenovo has said to me "not our problem purchase a retail license".

Carey Frisch

Friday, April 12, 2013 3:12 AM
  • Hi Andrei, what's the exact name of the tool that i can download from r&w everything?

That tool will not reveal the product key that is encrypted and embedded in a PC manufacturer's BIOS.

Carey Frisch

Friday, April 12, 2013 3:16 AM
  • Hi Carey, can you suggest a solution for me to activate the windows 8 32bit?

Friday, April 12, 2013 3:41 AM
  • Unfortunately, the only solution is to purchase a conventional Windows 8 32-bit license and perform a "clean install".  It appears the PC manufacturer will only allow a 64-bit Windows 8 operating system to be installed with their product key that is embedded in the BIOS.

Carey Frisch

Friday, April 12, 2013 3:55 AM
  • the tool is called r&w everything. Use the Product Key viewer. It does the same but with an user friendly way.

@Carey

the key is not encrypted.

Friday, April 12, 2013 4:50 AM
  • Base on your experience, which of the two is more easier to do, the r&w everthing or this one ?

http://forums.mydigitallife.info/threads/30363-Windows-8-Product-Key-Viewer

Thanks

Friday, April 12, 2013 5:24 AM
  • the 2nd tool is easier. Run it and mark the checkbox at MSDM Key

Friday, April 12, 2013 5:46 AM
  • Will it work also in Windows 7 32/64bit, Windows XP?

Friday, April 12, 2013 6:33 AM
  • I have no idea, because I have issues installing Win7 on my Win8 laptop.

Reset the device to the 64Bit Win8 Pro and run the tool there.

Friday, April 12, 2013 6:10 PM
  • Hi,

by the way, i have another concern.

We are planning to order dell desktops with preinstalled Windows 8 pro 32bit. However, dell does not release 32bit architecture. My concern is, can Windows 8 Professional OEM 64bit downgradable to windows 7 pro 32bit then upgrade ito to win8 pro 32bit? I don't have an idea how will the system recognize the product key. Your reply would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Friday, May 10, 2013 4:31 AM