none
Running Windows 8 apps as administrator

Question

• Yet another new security feature looks like,

When I log in as an administrator on a Windows 8 client joined to a domain, I cannot run any of the default Windows 8 apps on the start screen except desktop.  Comes up saying can't be run as the built-in administrator.

I tried turning off UAC.

Now the error message says:

This app can't open

xxxxx can't open while user account control is turned off

So other than logging in as a different user (which I don't really want to do because the web filter being used locks down regular users) is there some way around these restrictions?

Friday, August 17, 2012 7:02 PM

Answers

• Windows 8 apps cannot run with built-in administrator account.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”

Tuesday, August 21, 2012 9:41 AM

All replies

• Windows 8 apps cannot run with built-in administrator account.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”

Tuesday, August 21, 2012 9:41 AM
  • And what about the impossibility to run metro apps when UAC is disabled? In our environment UAC is explicitly disabled by policy for problems with swd agent. Is there a way to overcome this restriction for win metro apps?

thank you

Monday, August 27, 2012 9:03 AM
  • Yeah, I've noticed that as well.  Honestly I've come to the conclusion I don't want any users to use the packaged apps so disabling UAC is a great way to kill them, given how hard it is to remove them from client machines (you can do it with DISM but that won't help with any OEM clients you get).
    Monday, October 01, 2012 4:31 PM
  • Little boys and girls. Microsoft is trying to protect you! Now go sit down and be good little boys and girls and watch as Microsoft controls your access. Trust them!

So far, Windows 8, not impressed! If I wanted a MAC I would have 8000 MACs now!

For what it is worth, there is a way to turn off the wonderful Metro functions:

http://techmell.com/how-to/disable-metro-ui-windows-8/

Good luck to all of you!

Wednesday, November 07, 2012 5:06 PM
  • None of that will work for the RTM version of Windows 8.
    Wednesday, November 14, 2012 1:00 AM
  • This tip worked for me that allowed me to use the built-in Administrator account and use the Windows 8 apps ... http://www.islamadel.com/en/notes/6-computer/29-win8fixadmin

Thursday, January 10, 2013 10:09 PM