none
Error: -1603 Fatal error during installation

Question

• Consult windows installer help(msi.chm) or msdn for more information.

Im using window7 64bit operating system. I want to install my broadband software into my pc but seems like keep on coming out with this error. i have been trying but still cant make it. I have just tried uninstall .NET 4.0 and its still the same.

help please

Monday, August 23, 2010 1:04 PM

Answers

All replies

• Well is your software w7 compatible & if so.  Is it 64bit compatitble?

have you tried running it as administrator, or have you tried right clicking the setup exe and choosing "Troubleshoot compatibility" ?

Don't forget about Alt+Esc!
    Tuesday, August 24, 2010 11:16 AM
  • The following solutions have resolved this error in the majority of cases:
    1. Make sure short file name creation is enabled on the target machine. You can check to ensure that the target machine does not have short file name creation disabled by navigating to the following registry entry:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\FileSystem
    Make sure the value “NtfsDisable8dot3NameCreation” is equal to 0. This indicates that short file name creation is enabled. A value of 1 indicates that this functionality is disabled. You should change the value to 0. After modifying this value, the target machine should be rebooted before attempting to launch the setup again.
    Note: If the target machine should normally have short file name creation disabled, it can be disabled after the install completes by resetting “NtfsDisable8dot3NameCreation” to 1 and rebooting.

2. To ensure that the Windows Installer Service is properly installed and configured, it is recommended that users install the file InstmsiA.exe on Windows 95/98/Me or InstmsiW.exe on Win NT systems. These files are shipped with your InstallShield product and are located in the following location: <Product Path>\Redist\Language Independent\i386. If the service is installed, to know the status of the service exection, you could also go to services.msc in the command prompt, check the status of the Windows Installer Service. “Stopping and restarting it can help”

3. Empty all temporary folders. The specific temporary folders for a machine can be determined by accessing the DOS prompt and typing set. Note the values listed for TEMP and TMP, and delete all files in those locations.

4. Make sure no other applications, including utilities such as virus scanners, are running in the background. Close all running applications and utilities, and launch the installation again.

5. If this error occurs during un-installation, use the Microsoft Windows Installer CleanUp utility to uninstall the installation. Once the installation has been successfully un-installed, you can then debug the project to determine what caused the original error.

For More Information and Know how to resolve windows 7 error
    Wednesday, August 25, 2010 6:20 AM
  • Please open services.msc from Start Search box. Verify if the service Windows Installer is started. If not please manually start the service and change the Startup type to be “Manual”.

If the service cannot be started properly, please try to repair it. Please refer:

"The Windows Installer Service Could Not Be Accessed" error message when you install a program in Windows XP

The steps are also applied to Windows 7.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Wednesday, August 25, 2010 8:27 AM