none
windows 7 0xC0000005 code with windows 7!!!

Question

• ok so i've been trying relentlessly to install the Windows 7 RC but when i get to the installation screen and i click next, it says  "...Error code 0xC0000005".
    i have no idea what it means but at first i thought it was just that there were no partitions on the disk so i tried to make a new one, but the same message popped up. then i thought that maybe if i could install windows xp on the disk then i could try to upgrade it, but the xp installer can't format the disk! So then i tried to run the startup repair on the windows 7 disk, but it popped up and said that it couldn't fix the problem without help! and when i went to view the details all of the tests went fine until it said "Root cause found -------------------------- System volume on disk is corrupt. Repair action: File system repair (chdsk) Result: Failed. Error code = 0x1f".
    What does this mean and how can i get this RC to install on my computer!?
    Thursday, June 18, 2009 1:13 AM

Answers

• It's also possible that whatever you used to make the new partition created a partition table not-compatible-with the Win7 installer. The fact that the XP installer couldn't format the disk suggests a strong possibility that the partition table is defective; or, of course, that the drive, itself, is blown.

Generally Win7 is happier if its allowed to create it's own partitions, so my recommendation would be to strip unused partitions from the drive before running the Win7 installer. But, as David properly suggested, at a minimum, you should run the drive vendor's hardware diagnostics on the drive to see if it reports any errors. I wouldn't, however, engage in any low-level repair activities unless you get unequivocal indications that it is a drive defect AND that the repair has a good chance of succeeding. Disk drives are too bloody cheap these days to waste a lot of effort on trying to repair one -- much less on trusting that the repair will hold for any usable length of time, or that more defects won't pop up a day or two after an apparently successful repair.

On the other hand, the 0xC..05 error is typically associated with defective hardware, not just the disk. It could be bad RAM, a defective (or unsupported) video chipset, or even other possibilities.

What is the hardware configuration of the machine you are attempting to install to. Did this machine at any time previous have a Vista installation on it? Is the machine listed as "Vista compatible"?
    Lawrence Garvin, M.S., MCITP:EA, MCDBA
    Principal/CTO, Onsite Technology Solutions, Houston, Texas
    Microsoft MVP - Software Distribution (2005-2009)
    Thursday, June 18, 2009 3:08 AM

All replies

• Bad sectors, corrupt disk. Try getting to recovery console and do a force of the chkdsk command (chkdsk C: /f). If that fails again, track down the disk utilities native to your hard drive manufacturer and use those utilities to do a low level repair. Good luck!
    -D
    Thursday, June 18, 2009 1:28 AM
  • It's also possible that whatever you used to make the new partition created a partition table not-compatible-with the Win7 installer. The fact that the XP installer couldn't format the disk suggests a strong possibility that the partition table is defective; or, of course, that the drive, itself, is blown.

Generally Win7 is happier if its allowed to create it's own partitions, so my recommendation would be to strip unused partitions from the drive before running the Win7 installer. But, as David properly suggested, at a minimum, you should run the drive vendor's hardware diagnostics on the drive to see if it reports any errors. I wouldn't, however, engage in any low-level repair activities unless you get unequivocal indications that it is a drive defect AND that the repair has a good chance of succeeding. Disk drives are too bloody cheap these days to waste a lot of effort on trying to repair one -- much less on trusting that the repair will hold for any usable length of time, or that more defects won't pop up a day or two after an apparently successful repair.

On the other hand, the 0xC..05 error is typically associated with defective hardware, not just the disk. It could be bad RAM, a defective (or unsupported) video chipset, or even other possibilities.

What is the hardware configuration of the machine you are attempting to install to. Did this machine at any time previous have a Vista installation on it? Is the machine listed as "Vista compatible"?
    Thursday, June 18, 2009 3:08 AM
  • If you've never before run Vista on the machine, then the first step is to determine that the machine does actually support installation of Vista/Windows 7.

If this is a manufactured machine, then you should investigate the manufacturer's support website for your machine specifications and determine if it supports Vista/Win7, or perhaps there is a BIOS (or other hardware) update that will make it Vista/Win7 compliant.

If it's a home-built machine, then you'll need to confirm the compatibility on each and every piece of hardware in the box, individually: systemboard, video, audio, etc.
    Thursday, June 18, 2009 3:20 AM
  • And the rest of the hardware??? Video, Audio, external devices, disk drives, CD/DVD drives, types of interface(s): EIDE, SCSI, SATA.

With respect to "as most parts are new"... you've already told us WinXP is installed, and WinVista has never been installed, and here you are willing to test a pre-release version of Windows 7.. so my assumption is that this hardware wasn't "new enough" to have tested a pre-release version of Vista -- or you would have.

The most likely cause with this error is incompatible or defective hardware.
    Thursday, June 18, 2009 3:44 AM
  • ok wow...thats alot to take in but thanx!
    ill try that and see how it works out, but how do i run the manufacturer's diagnostics on the disk? is it on the website or something?
    n actually, i didnt ren the vista pre-release b/c i didnt have this computer at the time:P
    Saturday, June 20, 2009 4:53 AM
  • You should be able to acquire the drive diagnostics from the manufacturer's website.

Tuesday, June 30, 2009 3:47 AM
  • You could use manufacturer's diagnostic tools which you can download from their Web Site,
    But I would recommend MHDD 4.6 because it works with any brand and any model of HDDs...
    You can download MHDD 4.6 from here:

http://hddguru.com/content/en/software/2005.10.02-MHDD/

MHDD 4..6 does not work only with slave drives...

This is a great diagnostic tool and under MHDD Documentation you will find instructions how to use it.
    It is free diagnostic tool off course :D
    I am using this tool on a daily basis and it will scan your HDD for possible bad sectors...
    This could be the problem with you, but if the scan does not show bad sectors,
    I would suggest to wipe complete HDD and than to try to install Windows 7.

Hope this will help you mate!

Sunday, July 05, 2009 8:05 AM
  • Hi i got the same error message as the main poster, i wonder if it has somthing to do whit my other 2 disks that has bin partiotiond in xp.

Im thinkig of reeinstall win7 just in case, it gives me errors of a lot of things, my sound and some games.
    Thursday, September 17, 2009 8:25 AM
  • hey lawrence,

wondering if you could please help me out here with the same problem please!

I am currently using Windows Vista Business 32 bit on my Toshiba Sattelite A200 notebook. I recently purchased Windows 7 PRrofessional upgrade 32 bit. The one I purchased allowed me to download the installation package online instead of the CD. the downloading was done successfully and now I am trying to install.
    However in the first step only I got the error message with error code being 0xC0000005. i have checked with the win 7 upgrade advisor and it says my notebook is compatible with win 7. i have checked my ram, and done all sorts of tests but nothing seems to be working. PLEASE help me here!

Sunday, December 13, 2009 9:09 AM
  • This is most likely a Disk error.  I ran into this issue a few days ago during a Windows 7 Professional install on a custom workstation.  I built several in a row and only one ran into the issue. 

After several HDD fitness tests where the drive did not even show up I ran an external test on the drive where the bad drive then revealed itself.

I replaced the Hard Drive (and the memory for good measure) and the problem went away.  I could not charge all the testing time since that was mostly for myself but if I was on the clock for this operation all over again, i would have purchased a new drive from the get go.

• Proposed as answer by BronsonKurtz Tuesday, April 27, 2010 7:46 PM
    Tuesday, April 27, 2010 7:45 PM
  • I've been getting error 0xc0000005 after I let Windows Update place the KB2286198 update on my system ( Windows 7 Professional x64 ). Some applications start normally ( like Blender 2.49 ), others ( like Corel Paint Shop Pro Photo X2 ) give me error 0x0c0000005. I'm not seeing anything related to this appear in the event logs.

What I find VERY strange is that if Internet Explorer ( in my case version 8 ) is running, it "magically" makes the applications that gave me error 0xc0000005 start normally. Also, if a program that's been started this way and is still active, I can start other instances of it with Internet Explorer NOT running. When the last instance of that program is gone, I get the error again, and have to start Internet Explorer again to make it work.

Any comments on this one?

Thursday, August 05, 2010 10:26 AM
  • I am getting below error, this is a vpn application. Inorder for the application to work I have to uninstall and reinstall so that the access settings are reinstated. But when i try to reuse it it throws below error. 

Faulting application name: ewpca.exe, version: 9.0.8, time stamp: 0x4ac3ee2c

Faulting module name: WINHTTP.dll, version: 6.1.7600.16385, time stamp: 0x4a5bdb3e

Exception code: 0xc0000005

Fault offset: 0x0001ef07

Faulting process id: 0x820

Faulting application start time: 0x01cb9b4dbb4829bb

Faulting application path: C:\Users\<xyz>\AppData\Roaming\Aventail\ewpca\ewpca.exe

Faulting module path: C:\Windows\system32\WINHTTP.dll

Report Id: fa5e85c5-0740-11e0-b7a2-00247e8ac104

melwyn
    Tuesday, December 14, 2010 5:50 AM
  • I get the same error message, but my problem is that my Windows Explorer kepps on crashing and restarting after a few seconds. A first dialog box appears. It says that windows explorer isn't working propperly and then a second follows up saying that the windows explorer is restarting and this process keeps on continuing. It does not occur in Safe Mode, but I need to find out a way to stop this glitch. I also tried event viewer, but I didn't understand a word that was written there. Please help me and do know that I don't know all the complex terminology of computers, so please if you can, help me with enhanced directions.
    Monday, September 26, 2011 1:51 PM