none
PC Freeze (windows 7 ultimate 64bit)

Question

• Hi .. i got this problem the pc freeze just only the mouse move & the system does not continue ... no error reporting or any alert .. it happens more than 7 times

info
    mother board : Intel DQ35MP
    CPU : Intel Core 2 Quad 2.4
    Ram : 4 GB
    Hard disk 320 GB
    graphics : intel graphics media accelerator

more info
    windows up to date
    drivers from intel is up to date
    Anti Virus : Kaspersky Internet Security 2010 up to date (scanned with maximum no result = clean)

Sunday, September 27, 2009 4:26 PM

Answers

• So, there are two anti-virus programs on the computer, KIS and AVG. Am I right?

Before going any further, I would like to know if its an OEM computer.

According to the description, the issue can be caused by third party programs.

First, I suggest testing it in Clean Boot mode.

As for AVG, please go to C:\Program Files folder and find out the AVG folder. If it exists, try running AVG from it.

Vivian Xing - MSFT
    • Marked as answer by Vivian Xing Monday, October 05, 2009 7:31 AM
    Wednesday, September 30, 2009 3:10 AM
  • Problem Fixed btw i had kis 2010 (ver 9) only & i had problems so i uninstall it ...i change to ver 8 no problem but but windows does not accept it not for it
    i uninstall kis .... & install avg internet security well no problems but i dont like avg anyway for false detections  & slow detection & not enough strong to block active threats ......

so i think from KIS 2010 ver 9 .

no need for clean boot or any thing like that i didnt use it so i just uninstall kis & install avg only.

Thanks for Help .

• Marked as answer by Compromise Tuesday, October 06, 2009 7:55 PM
    Tuesday, October 06, 2009 7:55 PM

All replies

• First and foremost i suggest you to logged in bios setup under health status or hardware monitor (depending which bios u're using) to monitor the processor temp and ensure that is not heat related

Btw when you mention no error, not even in event viewer?

Monday, September 28, 2009 12:35 AM
    Answerer
  • Hi Compromise (:-0),

Perhaps, Try removing KIS and see if that has any impact (don't just disable it, uninstall it).  You may wish to first disconnect from any network.

• Proposed as answer by No.Compromise Wednesday, October 07, 2009 9:48 AM
    Monday, September 28, 2009 1:13 AM
  • First and foremost i suggest you to logged in bios setup under health status or hardware monitor (depending which bios u're using) to monitor the processor temp and ensure that is not heat related

if you mean go before windows start up (F2) then go to check heat & voltage there ..plz more info ...

(Btw when you mention no error, not even in event viewer?) well .. there nothing from windows error report or Maintenance Center .. nothing

its freeze randomly ..sometimes as i think when i click taskbar or (any) programs there .

(i will tell you more what happen )
    i was have vista ultimate 64 sp1  no any problems  > i changed too xp pro 64 sp2 no any problem > i returned to vista ultimate 64 for sp2  .. the problem here appear too [Freeze] > i change to windows 7 ultimate 64 until now still freeze
    Monday, September 28, 2009 1:18 AM
  • Hi Compromise (:-0),

Perhaps, Try removing KIS and see if that has any impact (don't just disable it, uninstall it).  You may wish to first disconnect from any network.

Well i will try but i dont think from it cuz i used on another OS its work perfect ...
    Monday, September 28, 2009 1:28 AM
  • I Change from kis to avg internet security ..But something strange happen

when i downloaded an avg installer it was downloading ... & left it to compelete ..when it reached nearby 70 %i minimized it into taskbar ... i was do other things when i return to it to see it it was like any program (no responding) Then taskbar flashing

taskbar disappear & appear too fast like flashing & the windows icont like become like white square (flashing) & the pc in that time FREEZE & the clock gadeget freeze too it was secound time  (17 sec) when taskbar stop flashing  the clock sec becomes (38~ sec) & the taskbar becomes again & the clock freeze But Still pc freeze & show me circule mouse when i put it over taskbar .....etc .

when avg finished .. it doesnt load & windows ask me ( maybe this program not installed probably ..use recommended settings  something like that)

That is all about it untill now ...btw avg latest version !
    Monday, September 28, 2009 3:42 AM

if you mean go before windows start up (F2) then go to check heat & voltage there ..plz more info ...

(Btw when you mention no error, not even in event viewer?) well .. there nothing from windows error report or Maintenance Center .. nothing

its freeze randomly ..sometimes as i think when i click taskbar or (any) programs there .

i was have vista ultimate 64 sp1  no any problems  > i changed too xp pro 64 sp2 no any problem > i returned to vista ultimate 64 for sp2  .. the problem here appear too [Freeze] > i change to windows 7 ultimate 64 until now still freeze

Yup hit F2 to access bios for your mobo and next scroll to Advanced > Hardware Monitoring Menu>CPU Temperature
    Monday, September 28, 2009 5:58 AM
    Answerer

Yup hit F2 to access bios for your mobo and next scroll to Advanced > Hardware Monitoring Menu>CPU Temperature

Proccesor Therma Margin 31 ~ 10 C after 30 sec decreased to 28  (the A/C in my room is off)
    Motherboard Temprrautre 54 ~ 55 C sometimes reached 57 C
    UCH Tempretaure 92 C
    MCH Temperature 69~70 C
    CPU Colling FAn 1120~1121
    Monday, September 28, 2009 2:30 PM
  • So, there are two anti-virus programs on the computer, KIS and AVG. Am I right?

As for AVG, please go to C:\Program Files folder and find out the AVG folder. If it exists, try running AVG from it.

Vivian Xing - MSFT
    • Marked as answer by Vivian Xing Monday, October 05, 2009 7:31 AM
    Wednesday, September 30, 2009 3:10 AM

Vivian Xing - MSFT

no 1 anti virus (avg now) was kis
    yes its oem (pc i built it by my self
    i will try .... but i hope that make more problems after that
    Wednesday, September 30, 2009 7:25 PM
  • Try booting into safe mode and see whether does it still freezes?
    Thursday, October 01, 2009 12:07 PM
    Answerer
  • Others that have used KIS and Win7 have encountered behavior similar to what you describe.  In those cases, uninstalling the Kaspersky software resolved the issue.  

Did you uninstall KIS first?  I'd suggest uninstalling KIS and AVG, restarting, and then installing only AVG.  Restart again, and try to reproduce the behavior.

What build of Win7 are you using?
    Sunday, October 04, 2009 11:15 PM
  • If it persists in Clean Boot mode, please make sure KIS was removed. You can use the following tool:

Windows Installer Cleanup Utility package

Vivian Xing - MSFT
    Monday, October 05, 2009 7:34 AM
  • Hi Vivian,

The Windows Installer Cleanup Utility won't make sure KIS is uninstalled - it just removes information about the KIS installation maintained by Windows Installer.

Windows Installer CleanUp Utility does not perform the following functions:
    • Remove Windows Installer
    • Remove files of any programs that are installed by Windows Installer, such as Microsoft Office 2003
    Monday, October 05, 2009 9:26 AM
  • Hi,

I would like to know if KIS was listed in Windows Installer CleanUp Utility. If so, try to remove it as below:

1. Click Start ->All Programs->Windows Installer Clean Up, click Allow.

2. If KIS software is in the list, high-light and click Remove button to remove them.

If KIS persists, you can try removing it as below:

Step 1: Delete the kaspersky folder

=======================

1. Click the Start Button -> Computer

2. Go to C:\Program Files folder.

3. If kaspersky folder exist, please right click on it and click Delete.

Step 2: Disable kaspersky from startup

======================

1. Click the Start Button type "msconfig" (without quotation marks) in the Start Search box, and then press Enter.

2. Click the "Services" tab, if any kaspersky service exists, please uncheck it. (if it is not gray).

3. Click the "Startup" tab, uncheck kaspersky and click "OK".

Step 3: Delete kaspersky from Register

======================

Before we go any further, please first backup the Registry.

Backup Registry

----------------

1. Click Start, type REGEDIT in the Start Search bar and press Enter.

2. Select Computer (the root node) in the left pane, click Export under the File menu, choose All under Export range, select Desktop in the Save in box and type backup in File Name. click Save.

Please Note: The backup file is on the Desktop and named backup.reg. We can simply restore the registry by double-clicking the backup.reg file.

After that, please refer to the following steps to delete the Group Policies:

Delete kaspersky from Register

-----------------

1. Click Start, type REGEDIT in the Start Search bar and press Enter.

2. Locate the following key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE

3. If any kaspersky key exists, right click it and choose "Delete".

4. Please repeat the steps to delete kaspersky key under the following key:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE

Delete the kaspersky from the Program and Features

--------------------

1. Still in In the Registry Editor

2. Locate the following key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall

3. High light each key under the Uninstall key.

4. In the right pane of each key, note the "DisplayName" line. If it is a kaspersky program, please delete it.

5. Please go through all keys under the Uninstall key and remove all kaspersky keys.

6. Restart the computer.

Does the computer still freeze?

Vivian Xing - MSFT
    Tuesday, October 06, 2009 2:42 AM
  • Problem Fixed btw i had kis 2010 (ver 9) only & i had problems so i uninstall it ...i change to ver 8 no problem but but windows does not accept it not for it
    i uninstall kis .... & install avg internet security well no problems but i dont like avg anyway for false detections  & slow detection & not enough strong to block active threats ......

so i think from KIS 2010 ver 9 .

no need for clean boot or any thing like that i didnt use it so i just uninstall kis & install avg only.

Thanks for Help .

• Marked as answer by Compromise Tuesday, October 06, 2009 7:55 PM
    Tuesday, October 06, 2009 7:55 PM
  • Hi,

Thank you for your update. I am glad to hear that the issue was resolved. Thank you for your sharing :)
    Vivian Xing - MSFT
    Wednesday, October 07, 2009 2:12 AM
  • Hi, Sorry to hijack this thread, but I have the same problem and it doesn't persist in safe mode but when I try to open a document in MS Word 2007 (while in safe mode) nothing happens. This is so frustrating and this problem, random frequent freezes and not responding (which seems to be a problem with windows explorer because it happens across all programs - computer freezes but mouse pointer can move, but it shows as working, but nothing else can be done while this is happening.) Here are my specs:

Gateway DX4200 -09

AMD® Phenom™ X4 9100e 64-bit Quad-Core Processor (1.80GHz, 2MB L2 Cache) with AMD64 Technology

Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit

4096MB 800MHz Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM (2-2048MB modules)

Serial ATA hard disk 640 GB

DVD-SuperMulti with Labelflash™ support

ATI Radeon™ HD 3200 graphics

Embedded high-definition audio with 7.1-channel audio support

Link for complete config: http://www.gateway.com/product_spec.php?product_recid=529668220

I have reformatted hard drive, re-installed windows vista 64bit, started using a new ms outlook pst file (2007) since that is where the slow downs seem to have originated. Sometimes, running fixpst.exe was not able to complete operation due to disk error. It is either msexplorer or i guess it could be a problem continuing with outlook file, so I have archived my old e-mails, but still need access to them. Could this be causing the issue, even if it persists when outlook is not running?
    Tuesday, June 01, 2010 2:13 AM