none
500 GB hard drive in BIOS but not in Windows Disk Management? Do I need more power?

Question

• I just loaded Windows 7 Professional (fresh install) from XP Pro and it reads my 80GB SATA drive but not my 500GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.9 SATA HDD I just added. I have a Thermaltake TR2-430W PSU. It shows up in the BIOS (Mobo ECS G31T-M v1, 2 GB Corsair DDR2 PC2-6400 (800Mhz), E8400 Wolfdale Core 2 Duo and using onboard video until I get a good video card.) but not in Windows Disk Management or Device Manager. I only hear a ticking sound from the hard drive and then it does it like every 20 seconds or so. I purchased the Seagate from a friend and it was working fine when I removed it from his machine. Any suggestions on how to fix this? Do I need more power to run the 500GB HDD? Help!
    Monday, January 18, 2010 12:21 AM

Answers

• I've had drives in RAID0 - as soon as I told my BIOS it was no longer a raid array (which I am assuming your's is setup that way, e.g. IDE mode), I was able to use the drive.

For this sake though, you can format the drive using DBAN to write zero's to the drive.

If the drive is making ticking noises during it, return the drive.
    Monday, January 18, 2010 1:38 PM
  • Hi Yorgos73,

I would like to suggest you update the BIOS and reset it to default.

If it does not work, you may also update the Chipset drivers.

Does it work?

Regards,

Arthur Li - MSFT
    Tuesday, January 19, 2010 7:02 AM

All replies

• A hard drive giving a ticking sound is never good. What does device manager show? Start > Device Manager (type in 'Search Program and Files) (use control panel device manager) > Disk Drives

Check Seatools to see if there are problems with the drive - http://www.seagate.com/www/en-us/support/downloads/seatools

It has a application for Windows that you can try first, otherwise you can create a bootable CD and test the drive.

Monday, January 18, 2010 12:28 AM
  • A hard drive giving a ticking sound is never good. What does device manager show? Start > Device Manager (type in 'Search Program and Files) (use control panel device manager) > Disk Drives

Check Seatools to see if there are problems with the drive - http://www.seagate.com/www/en-us/support/downloads/seatools

It has a application for Windows that you can try first, otherwise you can create a bootable CD and test the drive.

Agreed with jpag4947, ticking sound is one of the symptom of a haywire hd. Imo run seatool utility to verify the condition of the harddrive
    Monday, January 18, 2010 12:34 AM
  • It doesn't show up in Device Manager at all and I have used Seatools as well as there Disk Wizard and no luck.
    Monday, January 18, 2010 12:34 AM
  • It doesn't show up in Device Manager at all and I have used Seatools as well as there Disk Wizard and no luck.

Though seatool could detect bad drives but would also need to depend on the condition of the drive, say if the condition is very bad, it would not be able to detect the drive, not to mention running the utility. Alternatively you might wanna consider running chkdsk/error checking in windows 7
    Monday, January 18, 2010 12:44 AM
  • I just loaded Windows 7 Professional (fresh install) from XP Pro and it reads my 80GB SATA drive but not my 500GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.9 SATA HDD I just added. I have a Thermaltake TR2-430W PSU. It shows up in the BIOS (Mobo ECS G31T-M v1, 2 GB Corsair DDR2 PC2-6400 (800Mhz), E8400 Wolfdale Core 2 Duo and using onboard video until I get a good video card.) but not in Windows Disk Management or Device Manager. I only hear a ticking sound from the hard drive and then it does it like every 20 seconds or so. I purchased the Seagate from a friend and it was working fine when I removed it from his machine. Any suggestions on how to fix this? Do I need more power to run the 500GB HDD? Help!

The similar 7200.11 drives need about 11W in operation, with a maximum current draw of 3A at 12V  (36W) at spin-up. I don't think that the rating of your PSU has anything to do with your problem.

I killed a WDC 750GB drive a few months ago. It was in an external enclosure. I dropped it off of some furniture onto the wood floor, maybe 20" (0.5m), while it was spun up. The enclosure was fine, but it was an ex-drive. Never mounted again, and made ticking sounds.
    Monday, January 18, 2010 12:44 AM
  • Worst thing about it is that I bought 2 of these 500 Seagates from my friend and they both do the same thing. Gonna get my money back and buying a new one. Thanks guys!
    Monday, January 18, 2010 12:58 AM
  • At the price of drives now-a-days, get em new!

Have a good one.
    Monday, January 18, 2010 1:20 AM
  • So I got a hold of my friend and he said he was running them in Raid 0 and that is why Windows is not reading them. Is this true? He said to just connect one drive and make sure the BIOS uses that drive and run a disk wiping utility and that it should work after that. Help! Again! What disk wiping utility is free and works good?
    Monday, January 18, 2010 8:19 AM
  • I've had drives in RAID0 - as soon as I told my BIOS it was no longer a raid array (which I am assuming your's is setup that way, e.g. IDE mode), I was able to use the drive.

For this sake though, you can format the drive using DBAN to write zero's to the drive.

If the drive is making ticking noises during it, return the drive.
    Monday, January 18, 2010 1:38 PM
  • Hi Yorgos73,

I would like to suggest you update the BIOS and reset it to default.

If it does not work, you may also update the Chipset drivers.

Does it work?

Regards,

Arthur Li - MSFT
    Tuesday, January 19, 2010 7:02 AM
  • HEY LISTEN UP!!!

I figured this out after playing around in GPartEd (Linux boot disc, get one and burn it yourself it's free!)

Without talking on and on about partitioning and the other stuff I tried first from all these wild goose chase boards I've been on (some of which are good advice but rarely has the person said anything recommended fixed their problem so check this out)...

Select the drive in GPartEd ...you can try partitioning and see if it works BUT this is the solution for me...

Find the option to CREATE PARTITION TABLE (should be a DOS one), it will display a warning about wiping out the hard drive (nothing's on it yet anyway right?  but if there is then this isn't for you)

THEN partition the drive how you want, name it something...

BOOT to XP, it will detect the hardware and tell you to reboot (but at that point I peaked at My Computer and saw the drive and was VERY HAPPY!)

• Proposed as answer by TLTD Saturday, May 08, 2010 5:29 AM
    Saturday, May 08, 2010 5:26 AM