none
Disable Sleep when IE Open: Powercfg -REQUESTSOVERRIDE doesn't work

Question

• I'm trying to disable sleep/turn-off-monitor when IE is open:  I tried  POWERCFG -REQUESTSOVERRIDE PROCESS iexplore.exe Display System

However, that didn't work.  Any ideas?

Friday, May 25, 2012 8:00 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,

Please use Powercfg -requests to check the application and driver power requests.

You also need to block requests made by the audio driver to block system sleep.

Juke Chou

TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, May 29, 2012 9:21 AM
  • So I should use -requests as opposed to requestsoverride?  Or am I merely using requests to see if I have the Audio Driver overridden?

Tuesday, May 29, 2012 2:15 PM
  • Hi,

-requests switch can list the applications and Audio drivers that block System sleep. You may check this list before using -REQUESTSOVERRIDE switch. Typically, if you want to prevent IE from blocking system sleep, try the command below.

powercfg -requestoverride driver "the driver listed in -requests " system

Juke Chou

Wednesday, May 30, 2012 7:02 AM
  • Typically, if you want to prevent IE from blocking system sleep, try the command below.

powercfg -requestoverride driver "the driver listed in -requests " system

I'd like to do the opposite of this:  I'd like Internet Explorer AND/OR the audio driver to not allow sleep if open.  Unless that is what you meant?

Wednesday, May 30, 2012 5:01 PM
  • Hi,

Sorry, if you play Video in IE, it will block System Sleep by default. You may check this by running -requests switch.

Juke Chou

Thursday, May 31, 2012 7:17 AM
  • Unfortunately, it is not blocking sleep nor (more importantly) screen timeout.

When I try to stream Netflix the screen goes dark after the screen timeout powersaving setting.  It's not recognizing the Audio Driver nor Silverlight nor IE as active. 

Any ideas on how to keep the screen from turning off while watching netflix (a conglomeration of Audio Driver, Silverlight and IE)?

Thanks,
    JOe K.

Thursday, May 31, 2012 4:34 PM
  • Hi,

When playing Video in IE, it can prevent system sleep but turning of monitor. You can prevent this happening in Windows Media Player. 

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/Turn-off-your-screen-saver-when-playing-video

Please change Turning off the Display timeout to Never when watching Video in IE.

Juke Chou

Friday, June 01, 2012 6:37 AM
  • Does this include videos not being run through (embedded) in windows media player.

It's Netflix; therefore, it's being run through Silverlight and IE not IE and WMP.

Friday, June 01, 2012 3:16 PM
  • Hi,

No, you need to change turning off the display timeout to Never to prevent Monitor from turning off.

Juke Chou

Monday, June 04, 2012 2:40 AM