none
HELP! Corrupt disk - file system structure on disk is corrupt and unusable Chkdsk

Question

• I finally got Windows 7 to work, but am now receiving quite a few errors. I have installed a few programs, but am unable to use them or utilize their functions without getting an error about a corrupt disk.  I cannot also use native programs like notepad. When I try to save a notepad file, I get similar errors regarding a corrupt disk.

For example, when I try to open Google Chrome after installing, I get an pop up error at the bottom "chrome.exe - Corrupt Disk" and it goes on to state "the file system structure on the disk is corrupt and unusable. Please run the Chkdsk utility on the volume C:." Another error I get is "Exception Processing Message 0xc0000032 Parameters 0x750563A0..."

I am also unable to install Windows Office because of this error as well.

Do you know what this is? When My compute restarts, it goes through the Chkdsk utility automatically, but in the end it aborts and cannot repair the MNT or something like that due to a corrupt disk. 

It is getting quite frustrating after spending so much time and having to go through this...Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Thank you!

Sincerely,
    daonei
    Wednesday, January 14, 2009 9:23 PM

Answers

• I think I did this, but it didn't help in the end because the mft was corrupted or something along those lines so checkdisk keeps getting aborted. I guess I will just delete 7...
    Wednesday, January 14, 2009 11:12 PM

All replies

• Do you remember what the size of the ISO that you downloaded is? Also can you boot into the Recovery system (F8) and try to have the system fix it that way?
    Wednesday, January 14, 2009 9:27 PM
  • I just checked and it is 2,557,416KB. I downloaded it straight from the Windows website when it came up and burned it as as DVD.

I will try and do what you mentioned about the Recovery system, but what exactly is it? I will try it right now.
    Wednesday, January 14, 2009 9:30 PM
  • I restarted, pressed F8 on startup and it took me to an option where I can "Repair from Computer" or something along those lines. There were various options, but none seemed to really match my needs. There was an option to Startup Repair, Restore Comptuer to previous point, Memory Repair, etc. I tried Startup, but nothing changed. The moment I restarted, I am getting errors of Corrupt Disk for Google Update, Chrome, etc.

Anyone? I'm about to just give up on 7...It is blazing fast compared to Vista and great, but I am worried this is going to affect my computer in general.

Just FYI, I had issues shrinking my C drive and used a third party paritioning program to partition out about 20GBs to install 7. I don't know if that has anything to do with this. I mean, why would it be corrupt?

PS - I just tried to save this as a favorite, but it wouldn't even allow me to do that...so basically 7 is useless to me right now...help?

Help?
    Wednesday, January 14, 2009 9:38 PM
  • Well if your ISO image is bad (corrupted) then it might cause this, in Xp some times not having enough harddrive space can cause things to happen (although 20gb should be enough), but you might just want to restore to a point before all of this was happening, or just grab a clean ISO image and format the partition and start with a clean install.
    Wednesday, January 14, 2009 9:42 PM
  • starcomusa30273 said:

Do you remember what the size of the ISO that you downloaded is? Also can you boot into the Recovery system (F8) and try to have the system fix it that way?

i am more interested in the hashes  than size....

redownload the beta and start anew...

your MFT is corrupted...

a reformat should make this disappear 
    Wednesday, January 14, 2009 10:52 PM
  • From command prompt type"

chkdsk /f

You'll get a message that the volume is mounted and will ask you if you want to run chkdsk at next startup.  Say yes to this and reboot.

Chkdsk will examine the file structure of the volume and with the "/f" flag, it will attempt to fix issues.

Hope this helps!
    • Proposed as answer by Ansarmt Friday, April 18, 2014 11:53 AM
    Wednesday, January 14, 2009 10:57 PM
  • I think I did this, but it didn't help in the end because the mft was corrupted or something along those lines so checkdisk keeps getting aborted. I guess I will just delete 7...
    Wednesday, January 14, 2009 11:12 PM
  • I would suggest the follow:
    1. Backup any data on your machine before proceding
    2. Download the Beta from the Microsoft Site
    3. Burn the .ISO to a DVD.  Perhaps from a different machine than the original.
    4. Perform a clean of Windows 7 deleting any existing partitions and re-partition using the Windows 7 installer.
    Joe
    Thursday, January 15, 2009 2:56 AM
  • Same here! -> Fixed!
    Boot from DVD, select Repair, use command prompt, run chkdsk (drive): /F, restart

Best to all!

EDIT:

NOT WORKING!
    Recurring NTFS errors ... Will have to reformat and try again, I think.
    Thursday, May 07, 2009 10:24 AM
  • Partition was made with Acronis Disk Director, which is the source of the trouble. Seems that w7 needs a little bit different disk environment than XP/Vista.
    So the best (for now, I hope) is to let the w7 install do it's own partition - install on a blank disk space.
    • Proposed as answer by MiB22 Friday, May 08, 2009 2:59 PM
    Friday, May 08, 2009 2:59 PM
  • I created my partition with Acronis as well.  I have also been receiving this error message.  I had been resolving the issue by booting into XP and letting it complete its chkdsk.  After XP completes it's chkdsk than 7 will run fine for a while until 7 decides that it has a corrupt $MFT again and needs to run a chkdsk.  However, booting into XP seemingly fixes the problem.  Windows 7 will not fix the problem as it will report that there is not enough disk space to complete the chkdsk repairs.  I have been thinking that this was some sort of Windows 7 bug, but now I am thinking it has something to do with Acronis after looking through the other posts.  But, what I wonder is why does Win 7 work properly for a while then encounter seemingly random disk structure corruptions, which it cannot repair, but XP seems to have success repairing?
    James
    Friday, July 03, 2009 6:10 PM
  • I too am seeing an issue with Win 7 (RC) and chkdsk failing on Acronis built partitions. From another forum :

I have also seen the chkdsk FAIL during the boot sequence to detect/fix "dirty" disks. I have a system with 2 drives ( 8 total partitions) that will chkdsk FOREVER. Basically the disk will be detected as "bad", the chkdsk will run (indicating the issue will be fixed- it isn't) then the system will reboot and do it all over again.
    This was triggered by a power failure during a period of heavy disk operations. ( and yes the system should have been on the UPS but it wasn't at the time)
    Eventually I had to boot an XP from CD and "fix" the disk.
    HTF do you screw this up and WHY didn't any testing catch this?
    Friday, August 07, 2009 10:07 PM

• ...but XP seems to have success repairing?

These articles describe changes to MFT allocation, which became more dynamic with Vista and maybe even moreso with Win7.  The first two links are kind of just for historic background.  The last one is pretty recent.

How NTFS reserves space for its Master File Table (MFT)

Files Excluded by the Disk Defragmenter Tool

RAPID PUBLISHING: Master File Table zone reservation

Here's another thread about a person's difficulty formatting/installing XP on a drive that readily installed Win7.  That's just the opposite of this thread's concern.  Maybe that other thread is merely struggling with a SATA/AHCI driver problem.  Yet that problem was resolved by installing Ubuntu then loading XP, which seems to indicate some difference between how XP and Win7 generate the format or partition.

With these comparisons, maybe somebody here will be able to spot exactly what's going on.

Saturday, August 08, 2009 7:16 AM
  • I too am seeing an issue with Win 7 (RC) and chkdsk failing on Acronis built partitions. From another forum :

I have also seen the chkdsk FAIL during the boot sequence to detect/fix "dirty" disks. I have a system with 2 drives ( 8 total partitions) that will chkdsk FOREVER. Basically the disk will be detected as "bad", the chkdsk will run (indicating the issue will be fixed- it isn't) then the system will reboot and do it all over again.
    This was triggered by a power failure during a period of heavy disk operations. ( and yes the system should have been on the UPS but it wasn't at the time)
    Eventually I had to boot an XP from CD and "fix" the disk.
    HTF do you screw this up and WHY didn't any testing catch this?

I was testing Windows 7 during the beta.  The difference is that I had it installed on its own 120 gigabyte SATA hard disk, formatted and partitioned using Windows 7.   I think this is why I did not run into the issue, as I did not think to use a third party utility to partition and format this drive as a test.  The drive which it was on later failed so I was forced to put the release candidate (RC) on a drive which I had been using for XP and was faced with the quandry of finding disk space for the RC.  To find space for the RC I had to purchase a disk partitioning tool to make space on the target drive and it was not until after installing the RC on the Acronis partitioned and formatted drive did I encounter the issue. 
    James
    Monday, August 10, 2009 11:40 PM
  • If you use a partition that has been formatted by Acronis Disk Director you must reformat it during the initial stage of the Windows 7 installation.

Tuesday, August 11, 2009 11:28 AM
  • So are You saying that when I install Windows 7 I have to format the drive I install it on?

And what if I created the partition I installed Win7 on during the installation process?
    Because that is what I did and I keep getting those errors. As far as I remember it was only Google Chrome... (chrome.exe) which is more than suspicious already. And I did manage to install MS Office. Basically, it is only Chrome that is problematic. had this on 2 installations of Win7 already. Same PC (Asus F3 laptop), but the HDD was changer for a new one between both installs.

So yes - chkdsk fails, I did chkdks from Win7 install cd through live boot numerous times and the problem kept coming back.
    reinstall - same
    new drive - same
    and no partitioning tools involved...

SO - is it really Acronis or any partitioning tool for that matter? And why only chrome? What's the problem anyway?

Kamil
    Friday, August 14, 2009 6:45 PM
  • Hi there, just started to run into this issue myself on a laptop with Windows 7 RTM. I had performed a clean install of Windows 7 and formatted the hdd during windows setup, I left it as a single 320Gb partition, planning to use Acronis DD to do the partitioning. 

I have just started getting the same issues as the OP over 2 months after I performed the install on a 25Gb partition I use for my personal files. 

Actually, this has only started happening since I have got low on disk space in this partition < 1.5Gb. I tried to run Acronis DD to increase the size of the partition but it reported that the partition size was as its maximum and could not be increased!

Last night I copied the files from this partition onto my main C: partition where Windows was installed, planning to use Acronis DD to format, delete and then re-create the partition - now Acronis DD thinks it is a demo!

I went onto the Acronis DD site and downloaded the latest update for DD (build #2239) - although looking the release notes, it does not appear to fix either the issues I have been experiencing or what the OP reported. Turns out I couldn't even install it - the installer reports 

"The product cannot be installed on the platform, the current operating system is not supported"

I am going to try delete and re-creating the partition using disk management in Win7, see it that fixes the issue.

Saturday, October 10, 2009 8:12 AM
  • Just to confirm again that creating partitions using windows disk management rather than Acronis DD also fixes the issue.
    Saturday, October 10, 2009 7:12 PM
  • anyone succeeded to fix this issue without reformat ? i am not really eager to reinstall my finally configured system...
    Monday, October 26, 2009 12:25 AM
  • I had no trace of this error through Beta and RC1, or for the first several weeks with the release version.

It's just started giving me the warning in Event Viewer - but with no other indications that there's a problem.  Action Centre says "No current issues detected."

I was asked earlier to fix a PSI error by downloading and running LicensingServiceInstaller.msi which seemed to start, then stop.   The usual installing bar got to about a third of the way along, then the whole thing disappeared.  I have no idea whether or not this is relevant to the error message.   Having spend many hours installing stuff and setting up the machine, I have no desire to wipe and reinstall, even though I do have several recent backups:  I don't trust the backup to have everything off my root drive.

I didn't use Acronis to set up the drive:  it's a new SATA bought for Win 7, and partitioned (IIRC) by QTPartEd under Knoppix.

Should I worry, or ignore the error message?   chkdisk /f on boot-up made the problem go away for a while, but it recurred within a few hours.
    Wednesday, November 18, 2009 1:44 AM
  • If you are getting the error message I think the only resolution is to wipe and reformat.  I am still running the RC and occasionally getting the corrupt file system error message.  It seems that over time it is corrupting the data on my Windows 7 partition worse and worse.  Files are getting deleted during the check disk scans, etc.  I too very much do not like the option of totally deleting and reformatting the Windows 7 partition as it takes me quite a good deal of time to set it up as I want it to run.  But, I suppose I might just have to bite the bullet and do the hard thing of reinstall, especially when I go to install the full version.....
    James
    Wednesday, November 18, 2009 6:00 AM
  • My main point for posting this is to say, this is not exclusive to Vista 7. I am having the exact same problem on Vista home 32. My friend is on XP. I have not resolved it yet, and my F-secure Software reported a virus which I did not write down...____ u m ing it fixed it since it has caught and fixed every problem over three years.  It did not. Its not in the history file oddly either. Full scan is clean. But I believe it will pop up again. Also I am starting to have other errors. Firefox will not start. Anyway not a Vista 7 issue to be sure...

Wednesday, March 03, 2010 3:07 AM
  • Well, 5 hours later I fixed  the "Chrome.exe - Disk C Corrupt" error on my HP Laptop running Vista 32. Everything is running smooth now, files intact. I started getting the messages today every time I loaded a browser. 

Before I got anywhere things degraded quickly. All my control panel apps failed. I could not uninstall google chrome. All browsers failed. Additionally any disk tools within Windows Vista 32 
    would glitch out and fail with no error messages. 

I was not hopeful. 

I powered down and removed all USB devices and did a hard reboot and hit f8 at startup. 

I went to Repair Manager which loaded a menu and chose the option to Diagnose my computers Memory and HD. It asked my if I wanted to fix it... It then asked me to allow it to unmount my drive and run chkdsk which I reluctantly did.  300 gigs of data went quicker than I expected. It fixed many errors. Most were index errors. Some sector errors. Still Windows failed to load afterward. However, it did gave me 2 options
     One, reload Windows and start from scratch... 
    or have two, try and fix it again.  I tried the "fix it" option, it took several hours doing God only knows, and now it works!  I feel I got lucky on this one. 

Wednesday, March 03, 2010 8:28 AM
  • This thread saved me.
    Saturday, November 05, 2011 3:56 AM
  • thank you so much, my pc is working again, you just saved me. Thank you!!

Sunday, January 13, 2013 12:03 PM