none
Gadgets not working??

Question

• I have been having some issues with both the weather and currency gadgets. The Newsfeed works and has been working all the time. To try and fix it I have tried to close both the weather and currency gadgets and restarted the computer only to find that they still don't work. With the Weather Gadget all it says 'Cannot connect to service' and when I go into its options it cant locate any city/towns to activate it. With the currency gadget all it says in small print '6 days ago'

Both of these stopped together.

I asked my network technician about the problem, and doesn't think our network should be stopping it.

So is it the information provider of the gadgets?

Or is it my CPU? and if it is how can I fix it, or have it fixed.

-----------------------------------------------
    Computer Info:

AMD Phenom(tm) 9150e Quad-Core 1.80 GHz,
    32 Bit
    Ram 2.00GB

Windows 7 Home Premium

Running Norton 360
    -----------------------------------------------
    Thursday, December 03, 2009 10:30 PM

Answers

• Hi Paul,

Please perform the following steps:

1. Click Start button, type intl.cpl in the Start Search box, and then click intl.cpl in the Programs list.

2. Click the Format tab, and then in the Current format list, select the format that you want to use for your region.

3. Click the Location tab, and then in the Current location list, click the location that corresponds to the region that is set on the Format tab.

4. Close the Regional and Language Options dialog box.

You can also try changing it to another location

Vivian Xing - MSFT
    • Marked as answer by Vivian Xing Thursday, December 10, 2009 8:52 AM
    Monday, December 07, 2009 3:20 AM
  • Problem is solved, either it fixed itself or its because we had a new powerful server placed in yesterday.
    • Marked as answer by Vivian Xing Tuesday, December 15, 2009 3:04 AM
    Saturday, December 12, 2009 12:44 PM

All replies

• Hi,

This issue can be caused by several reasons such as network settings and Region & location setting.

To troubleshoot this issue, please perform the following steps:

First, I suggest temporarily disabling Norton.

If it does not work, try the steps below:

1. Click Start - Control Panel - Internet options.

2. Click Connections tab - LAN settings button

3. Uncheck automatically detect settings

If the issue persists, refer to the following article to change settings:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/931272

It applies to Windows 7.

Hope it helps.

Vivian Xing - MSFT
    Friday, December 04, 2009 8:26 AM
  • very good link for other problems, thanks
    Friday, December 04, 2009 12:16 PM
  • Hi Vivian thanks for your reply.

1. I turned off Norton firewall, with no result on both weather and currency gadgets

2. All were already unchecked when I went to the LAN settings

3. The article link that you referred me to is about 'Service not available in your language or region.' Where my weather gadgets are showing 'Cannot connect to service' so its not a regional/country fault. Plus this site is for Windows Vista, and windows 7 doesnt have a side panel.

I'm not sure what else that I can do?

Paul 
    Saturday, December 05, 2009 12:50 AM
  • Hi Paul,

Please perform the following steps:

1. Click Start button, type intl.cpl in the Start Search box, and then click intl.cpl in the Programs list.

2. Click the Format tab, and then in the Current format list, select the format that you want to use for your region.

3. Click the Location tab, and then in the Current location list, click the location that corresponds to the region that is set on the Format tab.

4. Close the Regional and Language Options dialog box.

You can also try changing it to another location

Vivian Xing - MSFT
    • Marked as answer by Vivian Xing Thursday, December 10, 2009 8:52 AM
    Monday, December 07, 2009 3:20 AM
  • Problem is solved, either it fixed itself or its because we had a new powerful server placed in yesterday.
    • Marked as answer by Vivian Xing Tuesday, December 15, 2009 3:04 AM
    Saturday, December 12, 2009 12:44 PM
  • Hi Vivian

I can see that microsoft.com rate you.

But let's be clear about time zones, etc, etc...

I have recently acquired a new machine with Windows 7.  I travel a lot and for (at least) the last 4 years all of my computers have always been on UTC.  Zero change of date/time, time zone, etc.

Why should I start screwing with stuff to make Microsoft Gadgets work on its native operating system????????????

Alan

Friday, June 18, 2010 11:45 PM
  • Today my PC suddenly decided, for no reason, not to update weather or currency.   I followed all the various suggestions here and on several other threads, and still I get the message "Service not available" from the Weather App, and "Cannot connect to service" from the Currency App.

ALL the other apps on the PC are working and updating.   If I go to WeatherBug, that works fine - but it doesn't have a weather station anywhere near me, which makes it a lot less useful.

Why is it that these two apps, only, cannot connect?   Why do they suddenly decide not to?

I've removed the apps, deleted their cache, and reinstalled them but that made no difference.   I've tried to change location - they won't because they can't see a server to get a list of locations from.

Wednesday, July 14, 2010 9:18 PM
  • Since about july 14the on 3 computers the Wheather Gadget does not work anymore. It displays "cannot connect to service". Above mentioned solutions did not work. Even a clean install did not work. A friend who lives in a other part of this town had the same problem.
    Friday, July 16, 2010 10:11 PM
  • I think you're right - it seems to be a more general breakdown.  I just connected my laptop, which was fine last time I used it two weeks ago, and it's showing the same problem.

I'll check with a few other folks I know who use the weather and currency gadgets.  I think it must be an MS thing, because a different weather app that I downloaded is working fine.

Saturday, July 17, 2010 12:06 AM
  • I also have same problem and found this topic. Tryed all suggestion so far none of them worked. I really start wondering when MS will do something work properly. Instead of doing our job we spending time to fix the OS. No help here either.
    Saturday, July 17, 2010 1:16 AM
  • I think I have discovered something about why they stopped working.

My laptop couldn't connect from my home WiFi - it gave the same error message as the desktop.   When I connected leter, using a cellular dongle, it worked fine.

I think there is a problem with the site the weather and currency gadgets connect to - something in my router's security won't let them through.   I've not changed anything in the router, so I suspect Microsoft have changed the way the gadgets connect.

Does anyone know the URL they go to for their information?   I could try unblocking that.

Saturday, July 17, 2010 11:28 PM
  • Me too, all suggestions tried, all failed, only the currency and weather gadgets have broken.  In a perverted way I'm glad to see that everybody else is having the same problem.  Hope MS fix it soon, since it seems to be their end.
    Sunday, July 18, 2010 12:48 PM
  • have the same problem.since last updates from microsoft 13 july.weather gadget works ok in wireless at my work.not at my home internet.it's a microsoft bug
    Sunday, July 18, 2010 2:50 PM
  • have the same problem.since last updates from microsoft 13 july.weather gadget works ok in wireless at my work.not at my home internet.it's a microsoft bug

So it is a know recent bug?

I was getting worried, as I'm experiencing the same problem, and none of the suggestions posted above helped.

Monday, July 19, 2010 5:24 AM
  • Hi Paul, 

I have the same issue, my weather gadget doesn't work from few days. Says cannot connect to service. 

Steps tired:

- Disabling Firewall.
    - Unchecking "Automatically Detect Settings" from inetcpl.cpl
    - The step you mentioned above.
    - Adding a registry DWord Value "AllowElevatedProcess" with the value 1, HKCU >> Software >> Microsoft >> Windows >> Currentversion >> Sidebar >> Settings.

Still no joy.

Any inputs on the same, is appreciated. I'm using Windows 7 Ultimate 32bit.

Chethan Kumar.

Chethan Kumar.
    Monday, July 19, 2010 5:54 AM
  • Same here (Colombia).... 10 computers with the same problem in my company....where are the microsoft guys for this kind of things? we need a hotfix ASAP.. thx
    Monday, July 19, 2010 8:28 AM
  • Ditto in South Africa since 6 days
    Monday, July 19, 2010 10:57 AM
  • i'm using right now weather underground for vista gadget.its similar.until i'm waiting for microsoft fix the bug.but the are sleeping at work.lol
    Monday, July 19, 2010 7:40 PM
  • Looks like the issue has resolved itself; just as the two widgets stopped working, they started working again today.
    • Proposed as answer by Bender Mateusz Wednesday, July 21, 2010 12:43 PM
    Wednesday, July 21, 2010 12:43 PM
  • Thanks Vivian, I followed the steps you outlined and managed to fix the problem after spending hours and hours reading strings that didn't give any solution. You are the best. Thumbs up :)

Wednesday, September 22, 2010 9:24 PM
  • Thank You Vivian!  My location was English Zimbabwa, I change to English USA and Viola!

Perfect!!

Friday, December 31, 2010 12:52 PM
  • you the dope,Xing xiaojie.had the same problem.solved now.thanks.
    Friday, February 11, 2011 4:18 AM
  • I also experienced that the currency calculator suddenly did not work anymore.

As I read on the net Microsoft has closed the gadgets gallery for Windows 7 because they want developpers start making gadgets for windows 8.

Since the fact that many users are suddenly excperiencing this I believe the problem is related to this, because shortly after the announcenement the gadget stopped connecting.

http://www.thewindowsclub.com/microsoft-shuts-windows-live-gallery

This works: Delete the folder %LOCALAPPDATA%\Microsoft\Windows Sidebar\Cache

Close the gadgets and open them again

Now the gadget(s) works again.

• Edited by realcestmoi Thursday, October 06, 2011 2:11 PM
    • Proposed as answer by realcestmoi Sunday, October 09, 2011 5:19 PM
    Wednesday, October 05, 2011 1:57 PM
  • I just had the same issues.  Both Win 7 64b weather gadget and currency converter failed to work.  In the case of the weather gadget, it said unable to connect.  This happened just after an update by Norton.

To fix the issue, I simply changed locations from my current city to one 4 miles away and voiola, it worked, as does currency converter now.  It's possible that your city is no longer in the database for weather?

Wednesday, October 05, 2011 5:32 PM