none
Processor Maximum and Minimum state missing from Power Options on Win8 pro/ enterprise

Question

• Good Afternoon,

Today I upgraded to windows 8 pro. When I went to my settings to have a better autonomy, i realized that the power menu / Processor power management, lacked what defines the maximum and minimum processor utilization.

Is this a automatic procedure from windows? or is this a "bug"?

Is there any way to set the maximum and minimum processor utilization?

My notebook is an Acer S3 with a Inter i5( 2º Gen)

Best Regards

Pedro Jorge

Sunday, October 21, 2012 3:17 PM

Answers

• I too had this problem but the fix is quite simple. The settings are still there but below the surface. Here is what the defaults do:

• High Performance (SCHEME_MIN) power scheme locks the CPU to 100%, no matter what you change in the command line.
    • Balanced (SCHEME_BALANCED) has a frequency governor that is confident about stepping up to higher frequencies.
    • Power Saver (SCHEME_MAX) has a frequency governor that is more careful about stepping up to higher frequencies.

To change the minimum processor state, use the following command

powercfg -setacvalueindex SCHEME_BALANCED SUB_PROCESSOR PROCTHROTTLEMIN (0-100)

powercfg -setdcvalueindex SCHEME_BALANCED SUB_PROCESSOR PROCTHROTTLEMIN (0-100)

You can work out what you need to change for the other power schemes. Windows Task Manager does not do a good job of reporting the frequencies, use CPU-Z to discern any changes, and make sure to re-apply the active power policy (click off and back on it) to apply the changes.

Sunday, November 04, 2012 1:05 AM

All replies

• Do you sue the latest BIOS/UEFI version?

"A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code"

Monday, October 22, 2012 8:33 AM
  • i want to promote this question

i want to know how to limit cpu power consumption and heat

"maximum state" power option in w7 was best way to do it

Monday, October 29, 2012 10:41 PM
  • Hello, Pedro.

It might be worth showing your full power scheme to the world:

- Open an Administrative command prompt (Right click start area, Command Prompt (Admin))

- Type PowerCfg /l - This will give a command line list of all your power schemas.

- The active schema will have a * at the end of it's entry: Make a note of the long number that schema has

- Type PowerCfg -query [Long Number you made a note of] >> "%UserProfile%\Desktop\PowerScheme.txt"

- On your desktop, there should be a notepad file called PowerScheme.txt - Open this file, copy the entire contents, and past it into a post. We can all have a look and try to see what's going on with you.

To Help you out, this is what my PowerCfg /l gave me:

Existing Power Schemes (* Active)
    -----------------------------------
    Power Scheme GUID: 381b4222-f694-41f0-9685-ff5bb260df2e  (Balanced) *
    Power Scheme GUID: 8c5e7fda-e8bf-4a96-9a85-a6e23a8c635c  (High performance)
    Power Scheme GUID: a1841308-3541-4fab-bc81-f71556f20b4a  (Power saver)

And this is what I typed in for the next line:

PowerCfg -query 381b4222-f694-41f0-9685-ff5bb260df2e >> "%UserProfile%\Desktop\PowerScheme.txt"

In perticular, it will be intresting to see if your config has the Minimum processor state and Maximum processor state section. An example section is:

Power Setting GUID: 893dee8e-2bef-41e0-89c6-b55d0929964c  (Minimum processor state)
          Minimum Possible Setting: 0x00000000
          Maximum Possible Setting: 0x00000064
          Possible Settings increment: 0x00000001
          Possible Settings units: %
        Current AC Power Setting Index: 0x00000005
        Current DC Power Setting Index: 0x00000005

Power Setting GUID: bc5038f7-23e0-4960-96da-33abaf5935ec  (Maximum processor state)
          Minimum Possible Setting: 0x00000000
          Maximum Possible Setting: 0x00000064
          Possible Settings increment: 0x00000001
          Possible Settings units: %
        Current AC Power Setting Index: 0x00000064
        Current DC Power Setting Index: 0x00000064

Tuesday, October 30, 2012 8:20 PM
  • I too had this problem but the fix is quite simple. The settings are still there but below the surface. Here is what the defaults do:

• High Performance (SCHEME_MIN) power scheme locks the CPU to 100%, no matter what you change in the command line.
    • Balanced (SCHEME_BALANCED) has a frequency governor that is confident about stepping up to higher frequencies.
    • Power Saver (SCHEME_MAX) has a frequency governor that is more careful about stepping up to higher frequencies.

To change the minimum processor state, use the following command

powercfg -setacvalueindex SCHEME_BALANCED SUB_PROCESSOR PROCTHROTTLEMIN (0-100)

powercfg -setdcvalueindex SCHEME_BALANCED SUB_PROCESSOR PROCTHROTTLEMIN (0-100)

You can work out what you need to change for the other power schemes. Windows Task Manager does not do a good job of reporting the frequencies, use CPU-Z to discern any changes, and make sure to re-apply the active power policy (click off and back on it) to apply the changes.

Sunday, November 04, 2012 1:05 AM
  • CompactDstrxion, thanks a lot! you saved my notebook from overheating!
    Sunday, November 04, 2012 6:56 AM
  • Thanks for the fix, but do you know if it is possible to restore the settings to the power options control panel?

Thanks.

Sunday, December 09, 2012 1:59 AM