none
media player codec

General discussion

• i just notice my media plaer not working  when i play a dvd it say mpeg 2 codec missining well were did it go and why cant i get it back without buy windows 7 again  whats going on
    Sunday, November 27, 2011 9:24 PM

All replies

• Hi,

If you know the name of the codec or its ID (known as a FourCC identifier for video codecs or a WaveFormat identifier for audio codecs), try searching the Internet. You can often go to a codec manufacturer's website to download the most recent version of a codec.

Alex

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Tuesday, November 29, 2011 4:11 AM
  • What version of Windows are you using?  Microsoft's MPEG2 decoder is included in most Windows 7 SKUs, as I recall.  Previous versions of Windows may require you to purchase an MPEG2 (DVD) decoder from your favorite MPEG2 decoder vendor.
    Tuesday, November 29, 2011 5:55 PM
  • ^-- That's not really relevant for MPEG2/DVD playback.  In that case you specifically need a compatible MPEG2 decoder.  Those aren't (typically) free, which is why that codec in particular can be a hassle.
    Tuesday, November 29, 2011 5:56 PM