none
Parallel Scanners?

Question

• Hi ppl, today i found one of my old parallel scanners in a pile of old hardware i have, i decided to test it to see if it still works, the scanner is a Compeye 300/600, first i try using Windows XP x86 drivers on Windows 7 RC x86, and using the program that is on the CD that supports parallel scanners, Unlead iphoto4, suprise! it does work... funny. <2000 +/- scanner with Windows 7, using XP drivers and it works...

After that i decided to give it a go with Virtual XP, and it didt work there... when im about to scan says it cant find the scanner...

Strange, since the Virtual XP parallel port seems to have the same E/S interrupt of the physical port on Windows 7...
    Thursday, August 06, 2009 11:25 PM

Answers

• Closing the thread.
    Check out the Engineering blog of Windows Virtual PC and Winodws XP Mode here: http://blogs.technet.com/windows_vpc/
    Tuesday, February 16, 2010 9:15 AM

All replies

• Are you trying this on the same computer you installed the scanner drivers on Win7?  If so, make sure you disable the scanner driver on the host PC, as it will intercept all the scanner signals before they can reach the VM.
    Thursday, August 06, 2009 11:44 PM
  • Can you also confirm that after attaching the device the scanner is listed in Virtual XP device manager and the drivers have been installed (in Virtual XP)?
    Friday, August 07, 2009 4:28 AM
  • The thing is, this scanner is strange, i dont see any device in the device manager, and Windows dont even seems to know is has an scanner attached. (im talking about Windows 7), the scanner option in paint is greyed out, for example, but other programs can see and use it, i just tryied with older programs. The scanner is listed in Unlead iPhoto plus 4 even when is not attached at all, so i guess the "driver" talks directly with the hardware, thought the parallel port, and windows has nothing to do at all.

It dont work on VPC... with is strange, i trought Virtual Enviroment has direct access to the parallel port...
    Friday, August 07, 2009 4:23 PM
  • It does have access, but as I mentioned, a driver, software, etc, on the host has first priority to anything coming through the parallel port.  IF some software is monitoring the parallel port on the host, the VM will never see it.
    Friday, August 07, 2009 9:16 PM
  • Well, i just tried two things:

1) Disabling the Parallel Port in the Host -> it dint work
    2) Installing Win7 x64 in a diferent partition and trying to make it work on VPC there -> it dint work

Is a twain scanner btw.

Dont worry, i dont need to use the scanner, i was just trying.
    Monday, August 10, 2009 6:15 PM
  • Closing the thread.
    Check out the Engineering blog of Windows Virtual PC and Winodws XP Mode here: http://blogs.technet.com/windows_vpc/
    Tuesday, February 16, 2010 9:15 AM