none
Windows 7 backups and "corrupted drive C?"

Question

• Like Jamie A Hankins here I have a problem with my Windows 7 Professional backups. I run a home build pc, Intel Core 2 duo E6550 2.33 GHz in a Foxconn 45CMX mb with 2 Gb RAM, Nvidia 8600 GTS graphics, WD500AAKS-22A7B0 hdd. I backup to a hdd enclosure with an ST3400832A via usb2. When I view my results, below, I get precisely the same error reports in the same order.

Whay exactly is Windows 7 telling me please? And why? 

Windows Backup skipped C:\Users\david\My Wordprocessing\Documents because is it on corrupted drive C:\.
    Windows Backup skipped C:\Users\Public\Documents because is it on corrupted drive C:\.
    Windows Backup skipped C:\Users\david\Music because is it on corrupted drive C:\.
    Windows Backup skipped C:\Users\Public\Music because is it on corrupted drive C:\.
    Windows Backup skipped C:\Users\david\Pictures because is it on corrupted drive C:\.
    Windows Backup skipped C:\Users\Public\Pictures because is it on corrupted drive C:\.
    Windows Backup skipped C:\Users\david\Videos because is it on corrupted drive C:\.
    Windows Backup skipped C:\Users\Public\Videos because is it on corrupted drive C:\.
    Windows Backup skipped C:\Users\david\AppData\Roaming because is it on corrupted drive C:\.
    Windows Backup skipped C:\Users\david\AppData\Local because is it on corrupted drive C:\.
    Windows Backup skipped C:\Users\david\AppData\LocalLow because is it on corrupted drive C:\.
    Windows Backup skipped C:\Users\david\Contacts because is it on corrupted drive C:\.
    Windows Backup skipped C:\Users\david\Desktop because is it on corrupted drive C:\.
    Windows Backup skipped C:\Users\david\Ian G***** pc\Downloads because is it on corrupted drive C:\.
    Windows Backup skipped C:\Users\david\Favorites because is it on corrupted drive C:\.
    Windows Backup skipped C:\Users\david\Links because is it on corrupted drive C:\.
    Windows Backup skipped C:\Users\david\Saved Games because is it on corrupted drive C:\.
    Windows Backup skipped C:\Users\david\Searches because is it on corrupted drive C:\.

Regards,

Davy-D.

Old Mig15 pilot. Now using Windows 7 Professional and Project Professional 2010 Beta.
    • Moved by Carey FrischMVP, Moderator Thursday, April 29, 2010 2:00 PM Moved to more appropriate forum category (From:Windows 7 Miscellaneous)
    Thursday, April 29, 2010 8:04 AM

Answers

• Davy,

It may be USB controler issue. I had found similare problem while ago, and soon I swept to Network share folder the problem gone.However, you may also try to select what you want to backup.

Run Set Backup  - choose backup location -  select "let me choose" - de-select "Data Files" and go to Computer / (C:)/users - and select users you want to backup, and then run backup.  This way always works.

Bart

Bart Kurowski IT Suport Analyst MCP, MCST, MCITP, MCAS
    • Marked as answer by Davy-D Wednesday, May 05, 2010 5:30 PM
    Wednesday, May 05, 2010 1:22 PM

All replies

• Hi,

I would like to suggest you read the following Microsoft Knowledge Base article:

How to troubleshoot Windows Backup and Restore issues when a reparse point folder or its subfolder is added to a user library in Windows 7

Regards,

Arthur Li - MSFT
    Friday, April 30, 2010 4:45 AM
  • Hi David,

It is difficulty to say what or where the issue cause.

What I can suggest is: to scan your hard drive using Windows 7 tool chkdsk /f /r running CMD on Safe Mode.

It will give a clue whether it is a hard drive error or files / folder.

However, I looked closely to the listed folder and discovered that all are related to users folder only?

Have you recently upgrade your PC or used a Windows 7 Easy transfer?

Bart

Bart Kurowski IT Suport Analyst MCP, MCST, MCITP, MCAS, Getronics UK
    Friday, April 30, 2010 10:48 AM
  • No recent upgrade or transfer; that was a clean install last year. I have recently installed Ubuntu 10.4 on a second hard drive in my pc. But I wll try check disk. I'm just reading up on reparse points..!!
    Old Mig15 pilot. Now using Windows 7 Professional and Project Professional 2010 Beta.
    Friday, April 30, 2010 2:46 PM
  • OK, scan shows

0 bad files, 2 ea records

41 reparse files, 0 unindexed files

lots of free clusters.

Nothing really.

Saturday, May 01, 2010 7:46 PM
  • Nothing more to say on this post now. On attempting to start my pc this morning all I got was either bsod's or a recycling repair/restore cycle that failed everytime. But the backup that was skipping files did manage to restore a system image.

Amusingly when I ran backup again it tells me that -

Backup encountered a problem while backing up file C:\Users\david\My Wordprocessing\Documents. Error:(The system cannot find the file specified. (0x80070002))
    Backup encountered a problem while backing up file C:\Users\Public\Documents. Error:(The system cannot find the file specified. (0x80070002))
    Backup encountered a problem while backing up file C:\Users\david\Music. Error:(The system cannot find the file specified. (0x80070002))
    Backup encountered a problem while backing up file C:\Users\david\Pictures. Error:(The system cannot find the file specified. (0x80070002))
    Backup encountered a problem while backing up file C:\Users\david\Videos. Error:(The system cannot find the file specified. (0x80070002))
    Backup encountered a problem while backing up file C:\Users\david\I*******'s pc\Downloads. Error:(The system cannot find the path specified. (0x80070003))
    Backup encountered a problem while backing up file C:\Users\david\Saved Games. Error:(The system cannot find the file specified. (0x80070002))
    Backup encountered a problem while backing up file C:\Users\david\Searches. Error:(The system cannot find the file specified. (0x80070002))

Monday, May 03, 2010 1:19 PM
  • Hi,

I would like to confirm have you tried the troubleshooting suggestions the KB article provides?

Regards,

Arthur Li - MSFT
    Tuesday, May 04, 2010 5:48 AM
  • Hi Davy-D

After you scanned HDD, please try use System File Checker running from CMD:

sfc /scannow

The tool is available under Win 7 and checking integration of protected files.

B. 

Bart Kurowski IT Suport Analyst MCP, MCST, MCITP, MCAS, Getronics UK
    Tuesday, May 04, 2010 8:43 PM
  • Arthur I did try resoring the files to their original folders/subfolders but events after that curtailed any more attempts.

I was using a secondary hard drive with Ubuntu 10.04 beta on it and eventually was unable to start Windows at all even in safe mode.

Wednesday, May 05, 2010 12:19 PM
  • Bart, I ran the command sfc/scannow and got:-

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7600]
    Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation.  All rights reserved.

C:\Windows\system32>sfc/scannow

Beginning system scan.  This process will take some time.

Beginning verification phase of system scan.
    Verification 100% complete.
    Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of th
    em.
    Details are included in the CBS.Log windir\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. For example
    C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log

However when I look at C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log I see a CBS text document of some 12,552Kb with now's time & date but access is denied.

Wednesday, May 05, 2010 12:34 PM
  • Davy,

It may be USB controler issue. I had found similare problem while ago, and soon I swept to Network share folder the problem gone.However, you may also try to select what you want to backup.

Run Set Backup  - choose backup location -  select "let me choose" - de-select "Data Files" and go to Computer / (C:)/users - and select users you want to backup, and then run backup.  This way always works.

Bart

Bart Kurowski IT Suport Analyst MCP, MCST, MCITP, MCAS
    • Marked as answer by Davy-D Wednesday, May 05, 2010 5:30 PM
    Wednesday, May 05, 2010 1:22 PM
  • Thank you Bart. Action centre reports that backup completed with no issues detected. I'm not completely sure whether my problems originated within my Windows itself or with Ubuntu 10.04 beta messing things up, or a combination of both; however I'm satisfied with the result.

Regards,

Davy-D. 

Wednesday, May 05, 2010 5:29 PM