Windows Explorer has stopped working. Windows Explorer is restarting. - Desktop reloads

General discussion

• Scenario:

I am running Windows Vista Home Premium v6.0 Build 6000 in 32-bit mode on a HP dv6208nr notebook with an AMD Turion 64 Modile MK-36 2GHz CPU and 1GB RAM.

While perusing the Internet in Internet Explorer v7.0.6000.16386, I opted to install a codec in order to view a video in Windows Media Player v11.0.6000.6324 running inside a web page.  IE7 is set with Windows Integrated Authentication on, to allow active content to run, Phishing filtering on, to use HTTP 1.1, XMLHTML, SSL, TLS and to check all Site Certificates with the appropriate warnings turned on, and to allow sounds and animations within the Internet Zone.  The Internet Zone is set to the Default (Medium-High in Protected-mode).

The codec needed was not specified by name, and the file to be downloaded was setup.exe to which I opted to run.  Having granted Windows the appropriate authority to install the file(s) I observed the progression bar for the codec and "optional components" to which raised my suspicions immediately.  Another Windows Security prompt requested authority to run download.exe to which I declined.  As the installation completed, I received a Windows Defender alert that spyware had been installed and the system needed to be rebooted in order to remove it.  I closed all APIs and complied with the restart request.

Upon restarting, Windows paused and [I believe, but am not for sure] rebooted a second time to complete the cleanup.  When the Desktop first appeared, several Internet shortcuts were added and labeled "Online Security Guide" and "Security Troubleshooting" respectively.  I checked the properties and these were issued from http://www.protectionfield.comI received a subsequent alert from the System Tray saying that the system needed to be scanned for additional spyware.  Upon clicking the balloon, the aforementioned web site opened up offering a free scan.  I closed the browser and have not investigated the legitimacy of this offer, nor do I know if the company is endorsed by Microsoft.

During this passing of time, Windows Defender was apparently loading an update.  Once the Desktop [and all the other many shortcuts and gadgets I have] was fully loaded, and error occurred.  As follows:

Window #1:

Windows Explorer has stopped working.

Windows is searching for a solution.

Option: Cancel box

Window #2:

Windows Explorer is restarting.

The Desktop closed, the Start Menu, Task Bar, Search Bar, System Tray and Gadgets all closed.  The system did not reboot, but the Desktop restarted.  This process repeated continuously and indefinitely.

I tried restarting in Safe Mode and tried restoring the Last Known Good Configuration to no avail, and the errors continued within Safe Mode.

It took me an hour to discover that I could [if I worked very quickly] open the Start Menu and access Administrative Tools, open a separate instance of Windows Explorer (as it is set in the Folders/Options to Run as a Separate Process), and an instance of IE.  I also opended Computer/Properties, as I have a shortcut on the Desktop.

Having gained access to IE and Computer/Properties, I was able to search the Microsoft KnowledgeBase, TechNet and Forums but to no avail.  I found a reference to a similar error [Window #1] some people experienced when accessing Control Panel.  Someone successfully performed a System Restore to a date prior to when the problem started.

I restored the system to a System: Scheduled Checkpoint date stamped at the end of yesterday's work.  It resolved the problem completely, and I created a new Checkpoint noting the error in the description.  Sidebar: It is worth noting that Vista does not enable System Restore functions by default; it is the user's responsibility to enable it and allocate [the maximum] space to be used.  Boy am I happy that was one of the FIRST things I did when I received my new notebook with an OS I was not familiar with, just in case I made an irreversable error!!!

Thursday, February 22, 2007 10:23 PM

All replies

• Hi!

Got the same problem, windows explorer gives an error and then restarts, but no solution. Let's wait for some answers.

Thanks,

Tlt

Monday, February 26, 2007 5:25 PM
  • Same thing happened to me except System Restore was never turned on so I do not have a system restore point. Any ideas how to fix the issue without having to do a fresh install?
    Thursday, March 01, 2007 11:48 PM
  • Hi,

I am having the same problems but I cant get vista to restore.

does anyone have any answers yet?

Thanks

Saturday, March 03, 2007 3:49 AM
  • i'm getting the same thing but in my case this happened straight after i upgraded from xp. I can't even open any windows explorer window now without getting that message and quitting, but funny enough i can open ie7. Also this problem doesn't happen when i run it in safe mode

heres my error report

Problem signature:

Problem Event Name: APPCRASH

Application Name: explorer.exe

Application Version: 6.0.6000.16386

Application Timestamp: 4549b091

Fault Module Name: TGT_BHO.dll

Fault Module Version: 0.0.0.0

Fault Module Timestamp: 4461222a

Exception Code: c0000005

Exception Offset: 000021bf

OS Version: 6.0.6000.2.0.0.256.1

Locale ID: 1033

Additional Information 1: 8d13

Additional Information 2: cdca9b1d21d12b77d84f02df48e34311

Additional Information 3: 8d13

Additional Information 4: cdca9b1d21d12b77d84f02df48e34311

Saturday, March 03, 2007 7:35 AM
  • After 16 hours I discovered that Microsoft's User Access Control was the source of all my Vista problems. Turn it off and everything that was stopping before, like IE, Windows Explorer, Windows Sidebar, Outlook and on and on performed beautifully!!!!

Turn User Account Control on or off

User Account Control (UAC) can help you prevent unauthorized changes to your computer. It works by prompting you for permission when a task requires administrative rights, such as installing software or changing settings that affect other users.

We don't recommend turning User Account Control off. If you do turn it off, you should turn it back on as soon as possible.

1. Click to open User Accounts.

2. Click Turn User Account Control on or off.  If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

3. Select the Use User Account Control (UAC) to help protect your computer check box to turn on UAC, or clear the check box to turn off UAC, and then click OK.

This was after Dell recommended I format my drive, reinstall XP2 then reinstall the Vista upgrade ..... Say What?

Monday, March 05, 2007 11:10 PM
  • Same thing happened to me on a new PC with Vista, three weeks after I purchased it.  I just took it back to have the virus removed... for a price.  They told me that it appears my computer was hikacked.  This is a virus, correct?

Tuesday, March 06, 2007 5:08 PM
  • Same problem here, five days after buying my HP. Seriously, what the hell?
    Wednesday, March 07, 2007 3:38 AM
  • Thanks Steve_in_VA disabling user account control solved my windows explorer restarting error and com surrogate error too. Jeez that was so annoying!! I wish I knew which programs are causing these error? But as of now no errors have popped up.
    Thanks!!

ah spoke too soon, still getting the com surrogate error at times when launching media player. Its not as annoying as the explorer error.
    Saturday, March 17, 2007 1:51 AM
  • I am having the same problems as listed in the previous comments.  I continue to have the MS Windows box Windows explorer has stopped working...windows is checking for a reason for the problem.  Then the next box pops up that Win Explorer is restarting. 

I have scanned for viruses with up-to-date scanning software and found nothing...

Need help, I'm not the greatest with this type of problem solving.

Sincerely

Marc

Sunday, March 25, 2007 4:10 AM
  • i have the same problem on my week-old notebook and boy am i starting to get pissed. 

i'm fairly sure this is a virus/spyware or something cos, like someone else who posted before, i also had my homepage changed to some non-ms-affiliated spyware/malware scanner site without me doing anything about it.  i also had a little yellow triangle warning icon appear on the right side of my explorer toolbar, sending me to a "free scan".  the oddest part is, i'm on a mcaffee free trial right now and mcaffee popped up and said the scanner site probably transmits malware/spyware/viruses. 

aah, a new development: 

a warning box just popped up with an x in a red circle. 

it says "your system is probably infected with the latest version of Spyware.CyberLog-X. 

typeTongue Tiedpyware

infection length:226129 bytes

risk: high

systems affected: windows 95, 98, 2000, NT, 2003 server, windows xp [my note: does not include vista!]

behavior: monitors user activity, logs keystrokes, and tracks web sites visited.

symptoms: low internet connection speed; low system performance; security center alerts; strange pop up windows

protection: click ok to download antispyware software."

i clicked ok.  internet explorer popped up and opened http://www.pestcapture.com/?advid=177

(don't use the link!)  mcaffee says that credible sources claim the site is not what it appears to be.

then again, i did a mcaffee full scan right after this *** started happening, and all it found were a few cookies. 

i can't open control panel.  i can't change the user account settings.  i can't even open mcaffee anymore.  can anyone suggest a workable solution for this bs?
    Tuesday, March 27, 2007 3:19 AM
  • Have seen this message but do not know the real cause, related to "windows defender being uninstalled" somehow... (see later)
    Message about explorer.exe stopeed working relates to the GUI of windows naturally.  You can still load into safe mode with command prompt by the F8 key on start up.  If youu hace system restore enabled, it is a simple measure of typing "rstrui" to launch system restore without windows explorer loaded.  You may have to wait a minute for it to load... Patience.
    At this point, choose a restore point just before the one that states windows defender has been uninstalled.  Problem corrected, no reformat. Worked on about 10 computers now.
    As for what causes this, still under investigation.  No restore points created it is a toss of the dice.
    Thursday, March 29, 2007 1:28 AM
  • Hi There i have got the same problem

I have recently bought a Toshiba Satellite and it has got Vista home and everytime I try to close a webpage I got error message as following:

Window #1:

Window #2:

And if I have more than two web pages opened It closes all of them and restarts one but i lose every info on them pages.

I have reported several times with no solutions for it

Saturday, March 31, 2007 7:59 PM
  • sounds like you.ve have been infected with spywarelock:

SpywareLocked Descriptions:

SpywareLocked 3.2 is a variant of SpyLocked . SpywareLocked usually installed itself onto your PC without your permission, through Trojan, Virus or fake software. SpywareLocked will display fake system alerts or fake security alerts to trick user to buy the Paid Version of SpywareLocked.

Manual Removal Instructions:

Stop SpywareLocked Processes:
    spylocked.exe
    spywarelocked.exe

How to stop or kill a process in Windows XP or Vista?
    Stopping a Process in Windows XP or Vista

Why would you need to kill a process in Windows XP or Vista? We sometimes need to stop a process to diagnose a system problem, such as removing Spyware or computer viruses. One of the easiest yet most efficient way to accomplish this is to use the built-in Task Manager in Windows XP or Vista. Here?s how you do it:

Press ?Alt+Ctrl+Delete?, then click on ?Task Manager?
    Select the process that you want to stop, then click on ?End Process?.

It?s advised not to stop a system process. Stopping a system process can cause the computer to hang or freeze up. Best Done in Safe Mode

Unregister SpywareLocked DLL Files:
    xkrdk.dll
    onwtj.dll
    fyxkaah.dll
    higehsg.dll
    geplxss.dll
    tvomnc.dll
    tahxqcj.dll
    qvjpt.dll
    oyopu.dll     (new file reported on 3/29/2007)
    yronl.dll       (new file reported on 3/29/2007)

Unregister DLL in Windows XP or Vista

Sometimes we need to unregister a dll file to troubleshoot a problem in Windows XP or Vista. Here?s how to do it: Remember in Vista must be an elevated command prompt

From Start ?> Run , type ? cmd ? then click on Open . 
    Type ? regsvr32 /u filename.dll ? where ?filename? is the name of the file that you like to unregister.

Please keep in mind that this involves system modification and can be highly risky. It?s always recommended to keep a system backup handy, in case things go wrong.

Find and Delete these SpywareLocked Files:
    spylocked.exe
    spywarelocked.exe
    xkrdk.dll
    onwtj.dll
    fyxkaah.dll
    higehsg.dll
    geplxss.dll
    tvomnc.dll
    tahxqcj.dll
    qvjpt.dll
    oyopu.dll     (new file reported on 3/29/2007)
    yronl.dll       (new file reported on 3/29/2007)

Search and Delete the Files in Vista
    Bring up Task manager and click on new task
    Select Browse
    Make sure on the top left side it is set to Search in the Local Disk
    On the top Right type in the file name you are looking for
    Then right click on the file if found and select delete Best Done in Safe Mode

The customer should still do a Full Anti-virus and Windows Defender scan

Sunday, April 01, 2007 2:30 PM
  • For timely resolution with any Vista issues visit this link http://www.munksupport.com/Ticket/. submit your tickets and some one will be able to provoide you with all you need to resolve your issues. Another good site is http://signpark.proboards81.com/index.cgi where you can find information on issues. but make your first stop here. http://www.munksupport.com/Ticket/
    Monday, April 02, 2007 2:27 AM
  • The information of removing SpyLocked or SpywareLocked was from:

http://www.xp-vista.com/spyware-removal/spylocked-removal-instructions

Source:

http://www.xp-vista.com

Monday, April 02, 2007 3:47 PM
  • i now have the same problem right now, i have to type around the message as we speak if anyone has a patch please tell me, i did not setup a checkpoint being young and dumb but now this happened please help!!!!!!!!!!
    Wednesday, April 04, 2007 4:21 AM
  • have you had any luck yet ........ i am lost and need a fix to get pc working again !!
    Wednesday, April 11, 2007 11:32 AM
  • ok this is what you want to do... if your problem is related to spylocked 3.5(that was my problem) and as someone said before it installs on your computer without your permission and causes unwanted errors to occur. It does this so you will then go and spend 50 bucks on the actual thing.. the way to solve this is to delete spylocked, i did not do anything fancy in order to do this.. alls i did was very fast, the second my desktop was rebooted, i went into all programs and deleted it from there, next i hit ctrl alt del and selected new task, then i browsed though the system files until i found spylocked and deleted the entire folder containing it. Once you have that deleted what you want to do is go back to new task on the task manager, and go to computer, C drive, system32, and then find the file named czxtyx.dll right click on this and delete it, this is the trojan file that installed the spylocked onto the computer, once you hit delete it will ask u several times if you are sure you want to do this hit yes, this will not damage your computer in any way, except it gets that freakin error message to go away.

if you have any questions...my AIM name is vinny pupo 250 and my e-mail is vincentpupo@hotmail.com

im pretty sure this should solve most problems though.
    Saturday, April 28, 2007 4:12 AM
  • please call me.  I really need help asap about this.  I am getting screwed by spylock 3.6 not 3.5 

303.906.2093  please please please

Don

Friday, May 04, 2007 1:00 AM
  • Don,

You need to go into your System32 folder and look for a file that was added around or in my case before the time of your crashes.  Move the file over to your recycle make sure you dont delete it so that you can replace it if you move the wrong one. This is tedious work but it fixed my problem

Monday, May 07, 2007 9:59 AM
  • I experienced this problem last night after trying to install a video addin to view a video file.  My Internet Security told me my computer was protected but it still downloaded some spyware and rebooted the system.  As soon as Vista came up I got the loop stating Windows Explorer has stopped working and restarted.  This continuous loop was also happening after rebooting in the safe mode.  I could not get to control panel or system restore to try and remove any program or restore to a state before this happened.  I restarted computer again and went into the bios settings and changed boot sequence to boot off the Vista CD only.  As soon as the Vista came up, I was going to reinstall Vista but on bottom left of screen there was an option to repair Vista.  I clicked this on and another screen came up with 6 or so options and the second option was System Restore.  I selected this and selected restore point before the problem started.  It took about 10 minutes but system restored successfully.  I restarted, reset my bios setting to previous boot sequence and then booted up off the hard drive.  System came up properly and no errors occurred.  I removed all the spyware that was installed and ran a complete virus scan and this time turned Windows Defender on to prevent this from happening again.  Another option would be to start your computer in the Safe Mode with Command prompt and enter:  C:\Windows\System32\rstrui.exe

I hope this helps others restoring their computer.

Monday, May 07, 2007 2:30 PM
  • Hi all,  man it was frustrating but after 4 days i finally got rid of it,    and since i know just what a pain in the *** it is" was"  im more than happy to help--If you are still having the problem then drop me a note and i will gladly tell you how i finally got rid of the little ***.
    Wednesday, May 09, 2007 11:27 PM
  • hey,  i can help--it took me a long time but i finally got rid of it,
    Wednesday, May 09, 2007 11:45 PM
  • Gary, Did you get a fix for your problem with "Windows Explorer has stopped working."Fred
    Thursday, May 10, 2007 3:18 PM
  • ye, please tell me, I would be glad to get rid of it !
    Friday, May 11, 2007 3:31 AM
  • i am having the same problems with my computer. if anyone can help me and/or have solutions please call 410-562-8672 or email me at yaboytoma@yahoo.com . This problem is realy bugging and i dont know what to do. Please help.
    Friday, May 11, 2007 5:40 AM
  • Gaza

Hope your a miracle worker!!

what did you do?

Rick

Friday, May 11, 2007 11:20 PM
  • My last post doesnt seem to have shown so ill try again.

This how it worked for me?

I found a program that had installed itself called WINDOWS WARNING which was causing the loop effect and driving us all nuts.

If you can get into control panel--then programs and features?   i found it at the very bottom of the list and uninstalled it--all good now.

But you may have to go in using-  ctrl alt delete--task manager--applications--new task---then type in --C:\---then go to program files,  

I hope it works for you because it certainly did for me.

Saturday, May 12, 2007 11:46 PM
  •  Gazzarr wrote:

My last post doesnt seem to have shown so ill try again.

This how it worked for me?

I found a program that had installed itself called WINDOWS WARNING which was causing the loop effect and driving us all nuts.

If you can get into control panel--then programs and features?   i found it at the very bottom of the list and uninstalled it--all good now.

But you may have to go in using-  ctrl alt delete--task manager--applications--new task---then type in --C:\---then go to program files,in program files you will have the options once selected to uninstall/change program at the top of the screen,   If it gives you a screen saying--you need to beboot before deleting---click on use reccomended action,   you may have to do it twice to succeed--i did.  

I hope it works for you because it certainly did for me.

This was a very basic fix considering i was going to buy a new PC just to get rid of it. 

Sunday, May 13, 2007 12:04 AM
  • Hi Rick,   ive just put up a new post saying how i god rid of it?    Hope it works,  i know how bloody annoying it is,

Gaz.

Sunday, May 13, 2007 12:12 AM
  • Hi this is Vikram here,
    working for Microsoft Vista Technical Support,

Well there is no resolution for this issue as in for now,
    But there is Work around.
    1.Boot from the Vista DVD disc and Do system Restore and that Works 99.99% of time.

if this still doesnot work.Please Do reply me back.
    Sunday, May 13, 2007 9:36 AM
  • I have the same problem with controlpanel and explorer. Bought a new HP with vista 3 weeks ago and today I cant open those applications. I did not get any DVD either. How can I solve this?

Carl

Sunday, May 13, 2007 8:07 PM
  • Add me to the list of getting the WINDOWS EXPLORER HAS STOPPED WORKING problems...and I've done System Restore, Spyware and virus scans...the only thing I've noticed so far that it seems to happen in directories that are large...right now, I can't even view one drive on my machine...

I am a a big Vista Defender but I am close to going Mac for my video with a dual boot of XP...I can't believe this isn't an urgent fix for Microsoft to look at...Sad

Monday, May 14, 2007 7:15 PM
  • I have deleted all of these folders that look suspicious.  However we are still having this problem.  There is one folder that I cannot get rid of, it is listed under a folder called Video ActiveX Access.  It was created the day that we started having problems with Windows Explorer.  When you try to delete it and send it to the recycle bin, at first it looks like you will be able to.  But then another window pops up and says destination folder access denied, you need permission to perform this action.  I have tried to delete each individual file in the folder and had the same response.  I am positive this is what is causing my problem.  Any ideas?
    Tuesday, May 15, 2007 5:34 AM
  • hi could you tell me how to get rid of it too? thanks alot dude and is yours on vista?

sharkyali

Friday, May 18, 2007 2:17 PM
  • Hey dude, i m facin the same prob from 2 days, if u have the solution can u post it on forum.. or u can email it to me...

Thanx

Friday, May 18, 2007 9:59 PM
  • my son is having the some problem he is on vista we cant even open anything i have tried to get into my computer and it wont open i dont know what to do can you help at all it is doing my head in
    Sunday, May 20, 2007 1:59 AM
  • Can't find this file nor have anything installed as spyware or to restore back to.  Only happens with CD or file searches in Windows Explorer.  Should I shut off the UAC as suggested, but not recommended in another post?
    Sunday, May 20, 2007 3:13 PM
  • I've just developed the same problem as others in this forum.

I've found that the simplest solution is to do the follow:

Restart your pc

Press F8

Select system restore

(Note: restore from a date prior to Windows Defender being uninstalled/removed.

This cleared up my problem and took approximately 5 to 8 minutes.

Good Luck on your issue.

Sunday, May 20, 2007 3:30 PM
  • I read that i could drop you a note and you can tell me how to get rid of this.

i have about 3 full seconds to use my computer before explorer restarts.

PLEASE help me~~~!!!  
    Monday, May 21, 2007 11:59 PM
  • I have the same problem. I have about 3 full seconds before Explorer restarts.

However, I have relocated for the summer and a) do not have the upgrade disc with me and b) supposedly have not created any system restore points.

Is there any other solution?
    Tuesday, May 22, 2007 12:14 AM
  • I have the same problem after getting a message to install a active-x control to watch a video. Then this error started and has not stopped since. I have a HPDV600t that is two weeks old. I did not have system restore enabled as apparently that has to be done manually. That sure is a brilliant thing there microsoft!! So am I screwed or what? I have about 3 second before the damn thing restarts and cannot really get into anything. I am thinking I should just bring this piece of ccrap back and get a refund. I can't believe that someone from microsoft is not all over this issue and giving us a resolution asap, great customer support!! Should I just reinstall windows vista?? I knew I should have never got vista this os is junk.
    Tuesday, May 22, 2007 2:55 PM
  • This happens to me every time I mouse over a .zip file and the tool-tip pops up...
    Wednesday, May 23, 2007 12:08 AM
  • I have the same problem as you.  How did you fix the problem?
    Wednesday, May 23, 2007 2:53 AM
  • no idea what to do...

nothing i've read has been able to help me thus far, any other ideas ??

i'd really appreciate it

Wednesday, May 23, 2007 6:48 AM
  •  Anonymous582560 wrote:
    I have the same problem. I have about 3 full seconds before Explorer restarts.

However, I have relocated for the summer and a) do not have the upgrade disc with me and b) supposedly have not created any system restore points.

Is there any other solution?

My problem went away and I am not sure what caused it...I was coping files over to another drive for backup because at that point, I was ready to do a new, fresh install of Vista. After I was done copying, I went into Windows Explorer to check one more time, and the problem was gone! It hasn't come back again...very weird.

Wednesday, May 23, 2007 10:53 AM
  • I ended up reimaging my laptop back to the way it was out of the box and it has resolved the issue. i had to reload all my software and links after that too. Fortunately HP laptops have some great tools and I was able to reinstall everything. Granted it was a pain but it worked. But there is still no answer and no definate reason why this happened. Imagine all this posting about a serious issue on a MS web site and they don't respond at all or try and recommend what to try to resolve the issue. Typical MS, they get your money and then they want to charge you more money to come back and talk to them to help you lmao. All I can say is don't download *** from the internet until SP1 is released or this may happen again and just like now you'll be on your own to resolve it. Fortunately in my situation my laptop is 2 weeks old so it wasn't that painful to just go back to scratch butu for others it may be a big issue. Good luck I never could get the problem resolved and spent a good amount of hours trying. Thanks for nothing MS!!!
    Wednesday, May 23, 2007 9:22 PM
  • i hope this works for you, because i was very very frustrated for what felt like an eternity...

now i'm no whiz with computers, by any means, but i figured there's gotta be a way to fix this without calling a tech or spending a buttload of money...

so i restarted it in safe mode, and even though starting in regular mode didn't have any back-up files restored, safe mode did

i hope this helps

Wednesday, May 23, 2007 9:54 PM
  • Try the below fix

http://tinyurl.com/2o3852

this will definitely fix the issue.

Friday, May 25, 2007 5:42 PM
  •  Lennon560043 wrote:

Hi There i have got the same problem

I have recently bought a Toshiba Satellite and it has got Vista home and everytime I try to close a webpage I got error message as following:

Window #1:

Window #2:

And if I have more than two web pages opened It closes all of them and restarts one but i lose every info on them pages.

Saturday, May 26, 2007 4:55 AM
  •  Lennon560043 wrote:

Hi There i have got the same problem

Window #1:

Window #2:

Saturday, May 26, 2007 4:56 AM
  • I LOVE YOU!!! i've tried so hard to get rid of this and that actually worked!!!!! thanks so much!!!!
    Sunday, May 27, 2007 6:59 PM
  •  

Try the below fix

this will definitely fix the issue.

Sunday, May 27, 2007 7:13 PM
  • Try the Below first if it works fine if not then try the second install it and run a scan it will surely fix the issue.

http://tinyurl.com/7m68m

let me know what happens

Rony

Sunday, May 27, 2007 7:17 PM
  • This defiantly did not fix my issue. Still. Every time I mouse over a .zip file. Windows Explorer crashes and restarts.
    Sunday, May 27, 2007 10:43 PM
  •  

Thanks  guys , 

it  was the fastest and easiest way to safely get back my lappu tappu,

sorted my  prob with " windows explorer stopped working" and   Loooooppp!!!!!!!!!! stuff

its gr8 u people took some effort to desipher the cause..........gr8 job done  guys  3 cheers..

Ones again,  really simple..ok

while  booting. press  " f8"  go to safe mode,

wait for the help window to come up which is self  explanatory, 

read  and follow it, very simple, dose'nt  take more than 5 minutes to get it back alive.

restore the setting  for any other date before the prob occured,

and relax have a beer,  in no time the system restarts and u r good to bash again,

thanks rgds,

Zingola X

Tuesday, May 29, 2007 1:43 PM
  • This is a bug in the system i have the same problem the guy with WINDOWS WARNING is a virus or a trick .

iv had alot a problems and iv fixed every single one of them but with winodws explorer turning off every now and then thats somthing you will have to live with. go update your bios system and scan your computer and regestry may i recomend *** cleaner or cc cleaner (both the same) windows vista has many bugs .

Tuesday, May 29, 2007 5:42 PM
  • This is a bug in the system i have the same problem the guy with WINDOWS WARNING is a virus or a trick .

iv had alot a problems and iv fixed every single one of them but with winodws explorer turning off every now and then thats somthing you will have to live with. go update your bios system and scan your computer and regestry may i recomend *** cleaner or cc cleaner (both the same) windows vista has many bugs .       ok?

Tuesday, May 29, 2007 5:45 PM

iv had alot a problems and iv fixed every single one of them but with winodws explorer turning off every now and then thats somthing you will have to live with. go update your bios system and scan your computer and regestry may i recomend *** cleaner or cc cleaner (both the same) windows vista has many bugs .       ok? any more questions just ask

Tuesday, May 29, 2007 5:45 PM
  • i had the exact same experience today as listed above by david chapman except system restore was not turned on. i am new to windows vista and stupidly assumed that as in windows xp the system restore feature would be turned on automatically. ive been on the phone with hp for about 4 minutes now and they have no idea what to tell me except to reinstall the os (their answer for everything) and im reluctant to do that just yet given the amount of software already installed on the computer. you say you finally discovered a solution and i would be very appreciative if you could share it with me and perhaps will help me to solve the problem as well.

thanks,

-

chris

Thursday, May 31, 2007 3:25 AM
  • that worked! what on earth did that do? it said it was adding files to my registry?? i checked the registry after and there was nothing new there. well either way it worked, thank you! i hope it stays fixed, haha.

-

chris

Thursday, May 31, 2007 4:07 AM
  • How do I do this from the command prompt?

Windows explorer does not stay on long enough for the user to get into anything to execute this from the GUI

Please be very specific because I have to send the files to a user overseas and then walk him through every step.

Thank you

Thursday, May 31, 2007 8:28 PM
  • Hi Gazzar,

Couldn't find via the uninstall in control panel - then tried the
    task manager way you suggested but unable to locate the WINDOWS WARNING program anywhere to select it [checked in all the folders - no where to be found].

I have the identical problem on my new HP laptop running VISTA.

Any other ideas for a fix?

Thanks in advance for your help . . .

Joyus-Apollo

-----

But you may have to go in using-  ctrl alt delete--task manager--applications--new task---then type in --C:\---then go to program files,in program files you will have the options once selected to uninstall/change program at the top of the screen,   If it gives you a screen saying--you need to beboot before deleting---click on use reccomended action,   you may have to do it twice to succeed--i did.
    Friday, June 01, 2007 6:43 PM
  • OMG I love you too man. This fixed my same problem. CHEERIN
    Saturday, June 02, 2007 8:46 AM
  • Ronald Asade your a genius, thanks for your help with this porblem, that fixed it immediately!!!!
    Sunday, June 03, 2007 10:33 PM
  • this fix is perfect for the above mentioned problem however i am more interested in the cause and solution.it works but how much of us understands how .        thanks roland
    Monday, June 04, 2007 4:24 AM
  • When this page opens up do I copy paste regedit4 to where? I need exact directions please...
    Tuesday, June 05, 2007 7:38 PM
  • Ronald?

Been in the tech game for over 17 years and this problem stumped me.  However, after creating a reg key based upon the text info you provided, the problem disappeared immediately!  Thanks a million man, you're a life saver!

NYCGRIFF
    Saturday, June 09, 2007 5:53 AM
  • This is so frustrating...definately the worst virus I've ever faced.

When my computer boots up, I get a message about a wmdc.exe error....unable to locate component because RAPI.dll is not found. 

I then get a message about "scanner failed to initialized database."

When I am able to open Explorer, it takes me to www.protectstand.com  (DO NOT CLICK ON THIS LINK!!)  It appears some jerk in Cyprus has hijacked my computer and offering a malware program for $49.95 to fix it.  Definate scam!!!

It appears a trojan virus has attacked my Dell Dimension computer.  A have two programs that seem to have been downloaded...one on my Explorer toolbar called "Security Toolbar 7.1"...and another program called "SpyCrush 3.1"

It also appears that this trojan virus disabled my Windows Defender and One Care Live programs.

I have tried using the suggestions of going back to a restore point and using the fix registry link provided throughout this forum, however none seem to work at getting rid of the darn "Windows Explorer has stopped working.....>>  Windows Explorer is restarting" loop.

This is so blasted frustrating because I can't access my control panel or my computer.   I can't run my Vista disk since my computer is in that constant loop.  (I could run it in safe mode, but I am only allowed to do a full load as opposed to a "repair" load that would let me save my current programs and files.

Does anyone have other suggestions how I can end this darn loop...especially since I only have 3 seconds to try and access my control panel or my computer?  I cannot access the User Account, nor can I access the add/remove program from the Control Panel.

I'm looking for any help possible!!!  I'm at wits end. 

Thanks,

Paul

paultjos@bektel.com

Saturday, June 09, 2007 5:59 PM
  • I had the same problem and was able to fix it by using ctrl,alt,del and entering the task manager then enter the new task and enter C:\ once there I was able to access the control panel and enter the programes and features about third from the bottom there was a programe that was called ( WINDOWS SAFETY ALERT ) I uninstalled this and the system asked to shut down when it rebooted the problem was still there so I repeated the above and it is now workin fine.

Hope this helps cheers

Sunday, June 10, 2007 11:52 AM
  • wow, i've been struggling with this since last night and couldn't do a system restore because of the constant loop my computer was in. but accessing it by pressing f8 on startup worked perfectly. thanks guys.
    Sunday, June 10, 2007 8:34 PM
  • OMG!! That error pop up error message was driving me NUTS!!! Thanks to you It is all gone...If you get to control panel, then programs, then programs & features, look for "windows warning" or "windows safety alert" (which is what mine said) then right clicked on it to uninstall, when it asks you to reboot, dont click yes just click cancel and Immediately the error message disappeared. Thank you soooooooooo much!!--
    Monday, June 11, 2007 7:38 AM
  • Well, this is the fix that works, slowly but surely:

Open Windows, in any mode safe or regular, and the let this darn thing start working its magic (as if you had a choice), and try to ignore it.

Press "control, alt, delete", and click "Start Task Manager"

In Task Manager, click "File" then "New Task" (upper left hand corner)

Type "c:\" and press enter

scroll on left to "Desktop", click "Desktop"

Click on "Control Panel"

Click on "Programs and Features"

Click on "Installed on" to bring most recent installed programs to top.

Right Click the most recently installed program(s) one at a time, if they are ones that you're not sure should be there

Click "uninstall/ change"

Then windows will uninstall it and will have to reboot after each un-installed program. 

My virus had installed about 8 programs, and the darn loop message didn't quit until I had repeated the above and deleted all 8 programs.  Now, 2 hours later, and 8 reboots later, all is well.  Thought I'd post this as it really helped me, and for vista, it works.

regards,
    rv

Monday, June 11, 2007 7:38 AM
  •  

I too have had this 'Windows Explorer has stopped working', when trying to access 'Control Panel'. The 'Control Panel' window opens then the 'Windows Explorer' process restarts, looking for a solution, etc.

I'm currently using 'Vista Home Premium Upgrade' - previously 'Windows XP Home'.

On reloading the OS it seems to solve the problem.

However the problem returns after downloading the first batch of Windows updates which frequently effects my accessing 'Control Panel' and some options via the 'Control Panel'.

Switching to 'Safe Mode' and there's no problem, but one can't run continuously in 'Safe Mode'.

Come on, Microsoft, are you reading these forums?!

Monday, June 11, 2007 6:29 PM
  • Grrrrrr I hate and love computers.

I followed Gazzar suggestions and it took me closer to deleating the error but could not find "Windoes Warning" Instead I searched for other ways and this is what worked for me....When you get to C;\program files go to the "<< " on the same line as prog files but behind it that will open a scroll screen.

go to "control Panel" then to "System Maintenance" then find "backup and restore center" You gotta do some reading here!

Since you cannot restore look all the way to the bottom of the screen where it say "use system restore to fix problems and undo changes to Windows" then follow the intructions. good luck Rafa

Tuesday, June 12, 2007 3:26 AM
  • I found out on the laptop I was working on, that the system restore was some how destroyed in a brand new laptop. I couldn't go back at all, I just decided to reformat since it was fairly new. I would say to just start fresh on anyone who is hoping to resolved these issues.
    Tuesday, June 12, 2007 1:15 PM
  • Despite the fact that it was a serious pain in the neck to get to System Restore (this took what felt like hours to achieve), it has completely fixed the problem. This was not on my computer, but rather on a new machine loaded with Vista (no experience with Vista....I use XP.....I had no idea where anything was and had to navigate it in literally seconds....)  that belongs to a friend. She brought it over and I searched for an answer. I found your post and SHAZAM!  all better.
    She was ecstatic to have her new computer back to normal and made me promise to write you a thank you for sharing the information for the fix.

Wednesday, June 13, 2007 6:34 AM
  • I found the solution was to ctl alt del. click on start task manager. then go bottom right, click new task. a window will appear, type in c:\        then using your arrow keys scorll down to c:\Program Files and click. a new window opens, scroll down the folders on the left hand side and select controll panel. then select programs and features. and right down at the bottom of the page you will see the problem, its called WINDOWS WARNING. select it and click unistall, it reads you have to reboot to unistall but select no and click unistall using recomended action.  This should solve your problem, it did it for me

Wednesday, June 13, 2007 5:56 PM
  • wow

I love you

You don't know how thrilled I was when I had a go of you're bit of info couldn't believe it when it worked did have to do it twice though but my god it worked

thank you soooo much

Thursday, June 14, 2007 10:10 AM
  • Riddle me this ... I'm trying to help my 77 year old father over the phone with this same problem and here's what's stumping me: What can you do if the "windows explorer has stopped working" message prevents you from attempting any of the solutions such as accessing the control panel or using ctrl alt del to get to task manager? We've even tried both of these in safe mode and STILL the message keeps coming up and blocking access to anything we try. The control panel will disappear when the message appears, etc.

Should a system restore be attempted despite having not previously set this to automatic? If so, which of the options should be selected?
    Thursday, June 14, 2007 9:23 PM
  •  

This worked exactly as you said.  The program installed itself under a different name but I knew when it was downloaded.  I went to the control panel through the task manager, which by the way was the only way I could get to it, and deleted all installed files at the time the problem started occuring. 

One question David Chapman said something about a Scheduled Checkpoint and a System Restore function, how do I do both of these?

Thanks for the advice, you saved me some money,

Peggy

Friday, June 15, 2007 2:30 AM
  • But the program will not open...Sad  I don't know why it downloaded fine and when i try to open it nothing happens...
    Friday, June 15, 2007 7:43 PM
  • ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

i tried uninstalling files causing the problem(Video DirectX and SpyCrush).
    i tried deleting them
    i tried using that Trojan Remover program, but i didnt understand what it was asking me.

SOMEONE PLEASE help me remove this god damn trojan from my computer. it is so damn annoying.
    Saturday, June 16, 2007 2:01 AM
  • OMG YES! i read all the way through this post and then did the cdrive>system32 and then i deleted all of the new files from today and it worked!!!! OMG thanks. that was such a pain in the ***. i hope some bad karma is done to the hacker who made this trojan.
    Saturday, June 16, 2007 2:18 AM
  • I am having the same issue right now but can't fix it.

I have tried to go to later restore dates, but there is an error alreading during the restoration.

If that is a VISTA problem caused by clicking on video files on the internet, and they don't have anything to solve the problem, I will bring this compter back to the store and let them give me my money back. Windows vista is up to now the biggest *** I have ever installed on my PC and this goes on, I will not run anything more then 3.11...

I am so upset by now I could throw it out of the window(s).

Please, anyone out there who knows anything about this system:" HELP"

Vista is to "save" it does not allow any save operations...but as soon as anything usual comes alang, it can get right through to the system and f*...s it up.

Who ever desighnes it, is worse than anyone creating viruses.

Please, give us a running system.

Bye

Error: File compression on x02eb1985
    Saturday, June 16, 2007 5:45 AM
  •         Hi

my windows internet explorer is not responding and it works on add-ons disabled.

Saturday, June 16, 2007 5:40 PM
  • reboot the system and tap f8. on the windows advance boot menu screen select repair. then either select system restore( without data loss) or factory image restore ( with data loss.) It will fix the issue.

Saturday, June 16, 2007 8:48 PM
  • I am running windows vista home premium and got this trojan.  It is a version of the zlob trojan that installs a bogus spyware warning called spywareblocked that brings you to a bogus spyware block site that you pay to get rid of this problem.  It is a variant of the smitfraud.  I would not pay at this site as they would probably use your credit card info fraudulently. 

I found it ironic that neither Microsoft Vista nor Norton 360 caught or blocked this trojan.  Every time I tried to stop the progam from task manager (the program was called "microsoft windows",) it restarted.  The way I finally got rid of this trojan was to download and install the free program "Spybot Search and Destroy" from download.com.  I installed spybot search and destroy, ran a scan, clicked on "fix selected problems, and the trojan was completely and automatically removed from my laptop.  My laptop is running like new. 

Sunday, June 17, 2007 10:28 PM
  • Google Trojan Remover 6.6.1

Download and you get a 30 day trial. This will remove the hard to find TrojanFake.Alert virus which causes the constant "Windows Explorer has stopped working" popups. After that, you must download a good malware detector like Spyware Detector to get the virus before it gets in your computer. Viruses are becoming a more and more increased threat with the unbelievably vulnerable Windows Vista.

Sunday, June 17, 2007 11:44 PM
  • The last tip about the Trojan Remover 6.1.1 is the one thing that worked.  What an incredibly annoying experience.

Where is Microsoft?  Vista is so incredibly vulnerable and yet runs so brutally slow and with so many crashes that Microsoft should be taken to court regarding this sorry excuse for an OS.  Macintosh, here I come with my next hardware purchase.

Monday, June 18, 2007 5:11 AM
  • Hello, I hear you on this being a real stumper! i have tried alot of these "fixes", and yet i can't get anything to work... it seems hopeless... Will you please help me, i would be forever in your debt!

Tony

Monday, June 18, 2007 10:35 PM
  • Hey just wanted to thank you guys for the posting solutions to this problem.  I too keep getting this error and couldn't figure it out until I read your messages.  Must go to control panel, programs and uninstall. My problem was also hiding under the phrase"windows safety alert".  Once I located, removed it and then rebooted my pc the problem was gone.

Thanks again guys!

Tuesday, June 19, 2007 6:17 AM
  • Wow, thanks guys for the help, that was a little bit of a nightmare.

My scenario was pretty much exactly the same as the OP described, I (very stupidly) downloaded some "ActiveX" video executable to try and play a video in a website I had never been to before, and immediately I had problems.  MacAfee didn't detect anything going on but I did use it to shut down internet traffic since I saw there was a trojan horse downloader active on my computer.  Windows Defender was able to pick up a few more malware programs of various sorts (it apparently was a whole bundle deal) and I used it (after one crash) to get rid of some of the *** that I had downloaded, including bogus toolbars for Internet Explorer and bogus anti-spyware software that showed up on my desktop and quick launch bar.

Anyway, my computer was slowing down a ton and there were several programs Windows Defender was having trouble dealing with so I decided to reboot.  When I came back I had the "windows explorer has stopped working" bug.

At first I didn't know what to do so I used MacAfee (about the only program I had time to start before explorer restart because it was on my quick launch bar) to shred some suspicious programs to see if that helped.

I figured out that to work at my computer was possible through using Task Manager, that made things a lot easier.  First I turned off explorer so I didn't get the pop up about it not working over and over again.  Then I used "start new task" to open up various things like Windows Defender and Firefox.

Windows Defender did a fair job cleaning up some of the malware, but it still couldn't deal with some of the files or make explorer work.

I went online and downloaded SpyBot Search and Destroy- which worked great at getting rid of everything that Windows Defender missed.  Something like 13 different programs plus a bunch of tracking bots in Firefox.  All traces of the virus were gone now, but I still couldn't get explorer to work right.

I tried restoring using backup (I have never created a full backup, I just used the points created automatically and by Windows Defender)... but that just made things worse.  First I didn't go back far enough, and the viruses I had just dealt with came back.  After I recovered from that, I picked a restore point further back, but then Windows wouldn't start at all so I had to return to where I was.

I tried looking for "Windows Warning" and other programs in control panel, the one time that I was fast enough to open it, but couldn't find anything.  Going to control panel through task manager...  I wasn't able to see any programs at all.  The list just didn't load, so that was not helpful.

However, after i downloaded the "Trojan Remover" program that Ronald Asade posted here (7m68m), ran it from Task Manager, and deleted everything strange that it found.. that ended the problem immediately.

Thanks, Ron.

To anyone else: I'd definitely recommend taking these steps:
    shut off windows explorer using Task Manager
    start up your web browser and download SpyBot from download.com or some other site, update it, run a scan, and take all suggested steps
    start up Windows Defender if you have it and perform a scan to see if SpyBot missed anything
    download, install and run the "Trojan Remover" program Ronald posted.

Tuesday, June 19, 2007 1:07 PM
  • If you downloaded this virus on your computer chances are you had to approve installing it and letting it run, just like I did, and you are just as stupid and naive as I am and so it's your own fault.  It's not Vista's fault and has nothing to do with clicking on videos.  Were you trying to get at some kiddy porn and were told you needed a new driver or something to view it?  Now you're blaming Microsoft because you told their OS that you trusted the content of some (obviously) untrustworthy site?  and then voluntarily installed a virus on your machine?
    Tuesday, June 19, 2007 1:11 PM
  • hi this is the solution that worked for me techguys told me use this method,reboot tapping f8 and restore ,factory setting was my choice, i had gone through all the uninstalling 4 in total all on the same date they where still on the startup panel could not go back to previous setting only had 5 seconds to accsess before it stopped
    Tuesday, June 19, 2007 11:06 PM
  • I had the same problem, I was a tard and did not make a restore point. however I did figure out that the note books does have the partitioned hard drive and it is a back up. This will fix it, but you are going to loose all your data.  " when powering up the notebook, repetedly hit the f11 key and you can rebuild it with your partition. takes about an hour or so. but it worked for me,  Hope this helped
    Tuesday, June 19, 2007 11:34 PM
  • One of my friends had this very problem and the steps that I took to fix it were pretty simple:

1.  Start windows normally, once at the desktop press Ctrl+Alt+Del.

2.  Go to the processes tab and terminate explorer.exe.

3.  Go back to the Applications tab and start a new process.  Run iexplore.exe

4.  Type C:\ into the address bar and hit enter.  Agree to the security warning that comes up.

5.  If you have Norton installed or any other antivirus software remove it by navigating to your Control Panel using the explorer window.

6.  Go to http://free.grisoft.com/doc/1 and downlaod and install AVG Free Antivirus

7.  Make sure you update the definitions and preform a full system scan.

8.  Press Ctrl+Alt+Del again and shutdown with the option to install any updates if there are any.

Now once your PC has rebooted you should be able to work normally within Windows.  If you need a replacement firewall then get Zone Alarm from www.download.com

Thursday, June 21, 2007 12:01 AM
  • i wanted to watch the midgets fight, they were dressed like santas elves
    Saturday, June 23, 2007 6:43 AM
  • the same problem i ams also getting in my pc , when i try to close the internet and the other opened page also closing automatically-i dont know the reason..

Please m ail me the soultion and how to rectify this problem..gurumoorthy

Saturday, June 23, 2007 8:10 PM
  • I don’t know the cause, but here’s a work-around that worked for my HP laptop with Vista Business:

Run IE by right clicking its icon and selecting “run as administrator”

Click “tools”, select “internet options”, click the “security” tab, and UNcheck “enable protected mode”.

Close IE, and it runs OK next time –  disable the warning about reduced security.
    Monday, June 25, 2007 5:18 AM
  • hi gazzarr,

i had th same problem and i found the windows warning and deleted it. had to do it twice to stop the "windows explorer..." now the message pops up less frequently but still occurs and theres no windown warning. does any one know how to get rid of this thing????

help.

Friday, June 29, 2007 3:22 PM
  • I was getting this error, and then after reinstalling Vista I began getting other errors. When I ran Vista's memory check it came back with errors. I pulled one ram pair and it reported good the next time I tried. So if you're like me and can't figure out the problem by any other suggestion, you might check your ram. Here's two guides google returned:

http://www.windowsdevcenter.com/pub/a/windows/2006/06/20/inside-vistas-new-diagnostic-tools.html

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/tutorial146.html

A better option for checking ram (my ram had to heat up to fail ~20min):

http://www.memtest86.com/

Sunday, July 01, 2007 5:21 AM
  •  

right click the task bar and select task manager

click new task and type in the following below

C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Accessories\System Tools

then click system restore

then click next
    the check the box that says "Show restore points older than 5 days"

then choose the date previous to when your computer started having problems

and your computer will restore to before you downloaded the corrupted file

this is the best way I found to solve this problelm and any future problems that arrise

Monday, July 02, 2007 12:43 AM
  •  

right click the task bar and select task manager

click new task and type in the following below

C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Accessories\System Tools

then click system restore

then click next
    the check the box that says "Show restore points older than 5 days"

then choose the date previous to when your computer started having problems

and your computer will restore to before you downloaded the corrupted file

this is the best way I found to solve this problelm and any future problems that arrise

Monday, July 02, 2007 12:47 AM
  • I also got the same problem but sorted out soon. Try this: Press Ctr + Alt + Del,  select Task Manager, select New Task from File, type Control Panel (I was not able to able to open Control Panel directly so i tried this way)

In Control Panel select uninstall programs and look for "Windows Safety alert" and remove it. See if it works.

Monday, July 02, 2007 1:04 PM
  • i did almost exactly the same as above on saturday aft and have been plauged by the loop ever since! new computer and i stupidly thought it was protected( ovbiously not) and that it ready had system restore points(again, no) i tried to download ActiveX and ended up with this dam loop. i have tried to find "microsoft warnings" and "windows saftey alerts" in the prog files as suggested by gazzar but cant find them. i disabled the user account,enabled the user account, uninstalled software (although it doesnt seem to want me to uninstall adobe activex flashplayer 9)ran spybot and trojan remover which both say after detecting and deleating the bugs that my system is working normaly as does windows defender, tried to download macafee which wont install properly, been scamed into buying regcure, maxpcsecure,bugdoctor, xoftspyse, non of which have worked! iv looked for spylocked 3.5, tried to rid myself of the loop via ystem32 file name czxtyx.dll and tried just about anything mentioned in this forum, when i try system restore it comes up with the message

there was an unexpected error

the file name, directory name or volume label syntax is incorrect(0x8007007b)

system restore will now close

its driving me nuts WHAT CAN I TRY NOW??????

Monday, July 02, 2007 7:42 PM
  • well after tryin everything i finally followed elvis mcl posting and now my computer wont work!( at the library now) i rebooted after downloading agv and running a compleate check and now the loop is still there and the computer freezes about a minute into loading the desktop, when i try cntrl alt del nothing happens and now it wont turn off unless i switch it off at the plug! please help!
    Wednesday, July 04, 2007 12:12 PM
  • Thank you so much!  We had to go through Help and Support> Installed Programs > opened multiple instances.  The pop up just came up too fast to try any other way and closing all the instances took just enough time to uninstall "Windows Safety Alert".  It took two times but it is now gone.  Does Windows know this is happening?????
    Wednesday, July 04, 2007 4:18 PM
  • I have vista and this is how i solved this problem - for the not so techy guys - On switching on computer keep pressing F8 till a menu comes up. Select repair - the 1st option at top of page - Then restore system to a date previous to when the problem started - and that was it - just be very careful about accessing unfamliar downloads
    Thursday, July 05, 2007 5:51 AM
  • You are a life saver... I was border line physco with that alert popping up.

Thanks much

Saturday, July 07, 2007 3:12 AM
  • same problem but cant find windows warning or windows security alert

any hints?

Monday, July 09, 2007 12:33 AM
  • Vista Ultimate running, when selecting "Preferences" on Xerox Phaser 8560 print screen general tab,  I get the following message: " Windows Explorer has stopped working" "Windows Explorer is restarting"  then the screen goes blank, the desktop reloads and the Print Screen and whatever application was open is no longer there.  If I'm working in Adobe Acrobat the message is that Adobe Acroabat 8.1 stopped working.
    Monday, July 09, 2007 2:41 AM
  • Has anybody tried the free version of superAntiSpyware @ www.superantispyware.com ?
    Tuesday, July 10, 2007 9:13 PM
  • Very thankful of the person who found the WIND
    OWS WARNING program because that made me look in the program list and i found multiple programs that were causing the virus problems.  I think one of mine was called windows safety alert.  Thank you very much!

Friday, July 13, 2007 7:53 PM
  • Hi Gazzar,

I've tried  everything  that  you   have  so  wonderfully  placed  for  everyone  to see,  but  i can still  not  find  no  sign  of  this   WINDOWS  WARNING   thing..  Can  you   please  lead   m  e to  a nother  direction that will benefit m   e .

THANKS
    Tuesday, July 17, 2007 6:40 AM
  • Hi there

posting a message from belgium, going nuts with my computers. Have the same problem on 2 computers, one using windows xp, and my new one today, using windows vista. I did not find this windows warning, nor gave the ---C:\--- a result. anyway strange but true, (for now) I let my pc perform a scan using panda titanium anti virus and this thing spotted a program which gave problems something called HP kill it and it is a exe file. Panda anti virus asked me to delete it, for it would have no effects using my pc, so "I listened very carefully" and I deleted it, immediately after I could use the windows explorer normally.

Actually I find it very poorly, that windows (the company) does not immediately send an update for everyone, so this problems dissappears from all pc's.

anyway stay tuned, we might need one another in the future.

bye - annick

Saturday, July 21, 2007 6:14 PM
  • Got it! its C:\hp\bin\KillIt.exe that's the one

byeeee annick

Saturday, July 21, 2007 6:23 PM
  • I have the same problem, I am trying to fix the issue, but no results.

Hopely I will be able to fix it.

Sunday, July 22, 2007 4:05 AM
  • Thank You for the link. Windwoes was no help as I have boon reporting this to them for a while and have gotten no response from them (too busy writing code for the next Windwoes I think.)
    Monday, July 23, 2007 9:19 PM
  • You got Vista Basic or Premium, and windows explorer has stopped working, desktop reloads....

...Your not alone, virtually all of us that have this os, have this problem... in a nutshell, the crash is caused by an read write permission error writing to the hard drive when connected to a network.

You'll notice the problem doesn't occur if your network card or connection is off. 

It's an irritating one, came with windoze, and they wont help, the updates don't fix it, and tech support doesn't agknowledge it as a core problem. I spent much time and energy on this one, with success.

Ok, so there are several ways to deal with this....

The following is probably the easiest way, and will also fix other problems.

1. click start, control panel, and user accounts.

2. click turn user account control on or off.

3. uncheck box.

4. ok, close, and restart

problem solved.

Your welcome.

Hunter Reon Barnes

magizian @ hotmail.com

Tuesday, July 24, 2007 4:18 AM
  • well, after trying all of the above and the computer freezing on me i restarted in safemode and reset to factory settings loosing everything on the pc(not something id recomend) i re installed all the software i had previously ( although somethings wont install/download now) it did rid me of the loop but now the windows software (explorer and internet explorer)  runs slowly and crashes on me from time to time but at least i dont have the loop!(brightside to everything!) but it looks like im gona have to pay to get it fixed after all!
    Tuesday, July 24, 2007 8:15 AM
  • Steve_in_VA,.. a MILLION TIMES,........ THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have lived with the Explorer not working,..... ect,.. for days!!! I was about ready to throw my computer out the window!! Your advice worked,. PERFECTLY!!!!! When it stopped, I yelled out!!!! I can not thank you enough!!!!! Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

William
    Friday, July 27, 2007 4:48 PM
  • Hi,

This fix did not work for me. Can you please post other fixes that you have found successful. My Windows Explorer only has problems when I try to open a file or use Windows Explorer to open a file. Thanks for your help.

Friday, July 27, 2007 9:14 PM
  •  

I had just gotten my Dell Inspiron 1720 today and I had the same problem. I ended up pressing F8 during start up and selected "Fix My Computer" in the menu that came up. It had several tools to help fix any problems. One of the tools in this was the Restore Point and luckily I had some restore points on my computer when I installed some games. The restore did it! I hope there's a restore point available for everyone. I'm definitely setting up more restore points now that I see how valuable they are. Thanks to everyone who helped me out with this problem
    Tuesday, July 31, 2007 4:23 AM
  • See if you are able to boot into safe mode. if you are able to do so then see if you are able to run a system restore onthe system, in-oreder to stableize the system. then check event viewer to see what application was a problem. when you locate the application check the services tab to see what servcies it depends on.

If the service that that application is not started then the service wont run at all. if the sevcies that is causing the problem is running check it's dependences and then make sure that if disabling that service it wont affect any other part of the system. You are able to tell this by looking under it's dependencies.

For more information visit  http://Munspport.com and click on the link free vists support for help.

Thursday, August 02, 2007 7:41 PM
  • Hi.  I'm not a techy but I plugged away for over 2wks with this very problem.  Turned out to be a virus (Trojan) called TROJ_RENOS.Y Gen D. (Careful what you download, including the  "Downloader")

This infection required a visit to update Microsoft's Malicious Software Removal Tool ...for me at least, as my virus scanner wasn't able to continue working do to Windows Explorer  shutting down and restarting. The option I used  has been mentioned before and is to attempt to insert the command "mrt" (without the quotes) in your "run" dialogue box. This will launch the tool. Then update, or full scan, or both.  Good luck, hope this helps some.

Friday, August 03, 2007 11:54 PM
  •  

Windows Explorer rDoesent Let Me Do Anything Unless I Close The Box If I Close The Box I Could Do SOmething For 5 Seconds Then It PopsUp Again
    Monday, August 06, 2007 4:52 PM
  • As many of you have, i tried all the possible options listed here to fix my problem, but in the end the only way to fix it was to do a system restore to the original factory condition. I had to re-install everything, but on the bright side: it fixed the problem. Hope Microsoft finds a good solution to this...
    Tuesday, August 07, 2007 8:18 PM
  • I just received my Dell XPS 1330 two days ago with Vista and IE7.  I started experiencing this problem quickly.  The ideas on this forum did not solve my problem.  I had to do a system restore to factory defaults.  This fixed the problem.  I then loaded software packages one at a time and checked IE after each install. 

For me the offending program was Yahoo Instant Messenger.  After uninstalling and reinstalling, I have found that is not actually the messenger that is causing the problem, but one of the other items that are loaded at the same time.  I went into Add/Remove Programs and removed all Yahoo items except Messenger (such as Yahoo toolbar - which I suspect is the problem).

This fixed the problem. 

I suggest loading software slowly and seeing the effect on you IE until Microsoft fixes the problem or software companies catch up to Vista/IE 7.

Thursday, August 09, 2007 2:46 PM
  •  

Here is the solution for Vista operating system:

1. Restart the system and tap the F8 key at the BIOS Screen

2. Windows Advanced Boot Options screen will come up. Select the first option "Repair Your Computer"

3) Login as an administrator.

4)Select the option which says "System Restore" & restore the computer to the day on which the computer was working fine.

5)Restart the computer.

This is the only solution for this issue at this point of time.

Note: Please, donot try running the system restore from safe mode.

Let me know the results at sanjeev_sec@yahoo.com

Thursday, August 09, 2007 4:41 PM
  •  

Here is the solution for the "windows explorer has stopped working"

1) Restart the computer & Press the F8 ket at the BIOS screen.

2)Windows Advanced Boot Options screen will come up. Select the first option "Repair Your Computer"

3)Login as an administrator.

4)Select the option "System Restore".

5)Restore the computer to the day on which it was working fine.

This should take care of the "Windows explorer issue"

NoteBig Smileon't try system restore from safe mode.

Here is the fix for "COM Surrogate Has Stopped Working Error in Vista"

Follow the steps mentioned in this website.

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/fix-for-com-surrogate-has-stopped-working-error-in-vista/

Friday, August 10, 2007 4:26 PM
  •  

hi gaz

my laptop is ennoying

it always bring up (windows explorer has stopped working)

i can't do anything because of this

please help if you know

Ryan

Saturday, August 11, 2007 7:16 PM
  •  

hi there

i have this problem

its ennoying

i want it gone

Ryan

Saturday, August 11, 2007 7:32 PM
  • Dear Microsoft

Please release a critical update to make sure I never see the "Windows Explorer has stopped working" message again.  If Windows Explorer just stops working at random times and a patch doesn't fix it soon then I see no other option but to make the switch to Apple.  I really don't want to learn a new operating system but it's kind of important for me that Windows Explorer doesn't just disappear at random.

Thanks for listening to the hundreds of post and endless chatter on things to try if you want Windows Explorer to not disappear at random...

JUST FIX IT NOW AND DON'T TELL ME HOW YOU DID IT -- JUST DO IT!

Saturday, August 11, 2007 8:31 PM
  • To T206MMA Thanx alot that solution saved my butt! Best Regards!!!!

Saturday, August 11, 2007 11:19 PM
  • Dear dagrom, I'm uncertain I can enhance your insightful thoughts/comments.  However, I may not be able to look at myself in the mirror if I failed to express some of my own concern.

To Microsoft, this fraud you have passed to us under the name of Vista is perhaps the worst package I have seen from you in more than 15 years.  At no point did Windows XP cause me the amount of aggravation, the wasted hours, or the total sense of frustration that your new Vista has managed.  To think you have released this monstrosity upon a vulnerable public, and have not attempted to move heaven and earth in your pursuit of timely solutions to the bottomless list of problems plaguing your creation, is simply criminal.

Microsoft, this is not freeware, yet your support would suggest otherwise.  Being caught in the spotlight, light a cockroach, caused you to react, if only in a very small way.  The reliability and performance fixes you 'made available' this past week were a mere drop in the bucket, but at least they did minimize many of the system hangs I had been experiencing.  That you would even consider withholding fixes transcends criminal, and yet you did not even push the fixes with your update tools!  Customers had to endure needless searching in addition to the pain of the unending list of problems. 

Like a water salesman in the desert bargaining with a thirsty man, your conscience is inversely proportional to your greed.  I have been a Microsoft defender for years; the shame of it is that I'm no longer sure why.

John Traynor,

Carefree Arizona

Wednesday, August 15, 2007 9:30 PM
  • T206MMA you have saved my sanity. Your simple solution to that annoying problem worked well. More importantly you chunked down the steps so even a computer moron like me could follow them.

Cheers

Chalkdog

Thursday, August 16, 2007 6:56 AM
  • Do these help?

Released August 8th 2007

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/938979/en-us

Released August 9th 2007

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/938194/en-us

Thursday, August 16, 2007 8:38 PM
  • Thanks for your post.  I can't speak for others, but I had already downloaded and installed those fixes from Microsoft because of machine hangs I had been experiencing.  While those have essentially cleared up, my troubles with Explorer started right around the 11th, or the morning after the fixes were applied.  Hmmm. 

After scouring my machine again this morning, I finally decided to download drivers directly from Intel [I have a new Intel D975XBX2 MB] and ATI.  I have had problems in the past in the XP environment with Microsoft updates to drivers, so I took a shot.  Bingo; after replacing the audio drivers [I tested after each step] and rebooting, no more Explorer problem - it was amazing.  Now if I can only figure out why my Microsoft Bluetooth IntelliMouse behaves erratically, I might be able to get something constructive accomplished.

Regardless of the outcome in my situation, the state of affairs as they relate to Microsoft Vista reliability and performance are dismal.  What a terrible waste of world-wide resources.

Regards...

Friday, August 17, 2007 12:15 AM
  •  MoosieAZ wrote:

Regardless of the outcome in my situation, the state of affairs as they relate to Microsoft Vista reliability and performance are dismal.  What a terrible waste of world-wide resources.

Amen Brother

(almost ashamed to admit it but I worked at Microsoft for 6 years of my life...i'm so sorry for all of you that got bit by Windows ME as well but don't blame me I was working in a different dept when they released that POS.  the day google ever releases an online OS i'm buying a mac and finally have more time to enjoy life than fix everyone's computer. oh and by the way, i can almost guarantee your *** is going to be more secure stored at google than on your home PC)

cheers

Friday, August 17, 2007 12:38 AM
  • Well, it's nice to know I have a lot of company with this "Explorer has stopped working" problem!! But, where the h*** is Microsoft Tech Support with a solution?!

Some of you might have spyware or viruses that could cause problems, but I doubt that is true in my case -- I'm behind two firewalls, run virus and spy checkers, and don't go to unknown attachments or websites, etc.  My Vista Premium install is a fresh install. 

Usually, it hangs with this message when I'm in the folders Windows Explorer.  Internet Explorer also hangs.  It can happen several times a day.

I've run Diskeeper on all my disks, I have hundreds of GB of free HD space, 1GB of memory, USB memory stick ReadyBoost for another 1.6 GB, etc.

BTW, don't rely on Windows Live OneCare for your defragging -- see my posts and others in the OneCare Forum!!

Friday, August 17, 2007 3:05 AM
  • Turning User Account Control off sounds promising.  I'm going to try it and see what happens.  I'm tired of the screen going dark and a permission box popping up after a few seconds on several things.  I'm the only one with access to my PC, and I've got both router and software firewalls to protect me.   If this feature is what keeps causing IE and WE to stop working, MS needs to fix it!!

Friday, August 17, 2007 3:12 AM
  • Good luck with that; I made that change several weeks ago just to stop the annoyances.  I doubt that it will solve your problem with IE or WE, but one never knows.

Friday, August 17, 2007 3:37 AM
  • Thanks a ton.  The program in the first link solved my problem.  I'm really surprised microsoft isn't attacking this problem more aggressively!

Sunday, August 19, 2007 10:15 PM
  • i did this and did system restore. But when it restarted, it said that system restore failed even though i had brought it back to a point before the virus thingy came. what now? any help appreciated

Monday, August 20, 2007 9:33 AM
  • easy solution, hit f1 then go to backup and recovery, then using hp backup and recovery or just using backup and recovery, then using recovery manager, then click here to launch backup recovery manager, then go thru the whole thing to restore to a selected point... and problem solved.
    Friday, August 24, 2007 8:38 PM
  • Has anyone found a solution to this problem?  My son's computer continues to have an error saying "windows explorer has stopped working. Windows Explorer is restarting.  Can someone help me?

Sunday, August 26, 2007 1:27 AM
  • Rhonda, unfortunately there are numerous causes for this situation.  If you have read most of the 147 post on this thread then you, as I have, will come to see that there is no magic bullet.  The guys with the magic bullets [Microsoft] have not yet stepped up.  Not knowing your son's particular circumstances, it would be difficult to suggest a specific solution. 

Probably the best shot you have is to go the Restore Point route.  If you or he can estimate when the problem began, then pick a restore point prior to that date and go with it.  Those instructions appear several times in this thread so I won't repeat them now.  Good luck. 

Sunday, August 26, 2007 4:59 PM
  • BINGO! I had the same problem.

IT WORKED NICE

THANKS

Monday, August 27, 2007 3:46 AM
  • you and I bolth have the same problem. I have a sneeking sespcion that we got it from visiting the same website.

Monday, August 27, 2007 9:09 PM
  • It's a bit tricky for me to take your piece of advice because the "Windows is restarting" message keeps popping back up and refreshes my start bar therefore I cannot go to the control panel. I probably have like less than 10 seconds to access anything in the start menu.
    Tuesday, August 28, 2007 8:11 PM
  • I took your advice and navigated through my computer files through Start Manager --> Start New task. I'm not really sure if I have a System 32 folder because I couldn't find it but because I'm using Windows Vista I could search for stuff in the search bar on the right hand corner. It allows me to pick a day something was modified and I chose the day my computer got infected. I found something called Grisoft and VirusProtectPro 3.7(877 KB). I deleted the VPP 3.7 but not the Grisoft because it need "permission". I'm still experiencing the problem.
    Tuesday, August 28, 2007 8:40 PM
  • It took me awhile to get my computer to do a system resotre because it was so hard to access my start menu programs. SO I press ctrl + alt + delete to access my Task Manager, clicked new task, and typed rstrui.exe
    Tuesday, August 28, 2007 8:49 PM
  • I had this problem for the last 3 days on my laptop. It drove me nuts. I spent 5 hours with Microsoft tech,  reinstalled over the os and and still this did not resolve the problem.   Finally, they transfered me to there higher tech specialists after 3 days of total hair pulling frustration and in 5 minutes he had it resolved by going into the registry open HKey local machine, software, microsoft,windows, CurrentVersion, explorer,Shared Task Scheduler, and remove two of the four lines that were there. The only lines I kept were "default" "component Catergories cashe daemon"   The other lines were placed in there by the spyware and were the infections.   Once this was done,  it ran perfectly. I can't believe they have not passed this on to their first teir technicians.  There needs to be a auto fix for this that one can use to repair this problem.

To get to the registry you have to do cont-alt-del,  start  Windows Task Manager, disable explore.exe by high lighting it in the Image Name Tab. Click end process. This will stop the loop. Then go to file, click New Task Run. Here type in "regedit". This gets you to the registry.  Then follow the above. It worked for me. Hope it works for you.

Wednesday, August 29, 2007 12:01 AM
  • Up until an hour ago I had been having this problem as well. It started when I tried to stream a video in WMP. Here's how I fixed it...

1 - Scan all files and folders with Norton/McAfee/etc. and remove any trojans
    2 - Make sure there is only one "DLLHOST.EXE" file on your computer
    3 - Uninstall the FFDSHOW and KLITE codec packs COMPLETELY, leave nothing even remotely related to either
    4 - Restart the computer in Safe Mode
    5 - Do a System Restore to a previous safe date

I don't know if this will work for anyone else, but it worked for me. Turns out that dllhost.exe was constantly accessing something in my ffdshow/klite folder. Maybe someone with more knowledge can elaborate.
    Thursday, August 30, 2007 7:12 PM
  • TO FIX COM SURROGATE ERROR GO TO THIS WEBSITE AND DOWNLOAD THIS http://ffdshow-tryout.sourceforge.net/ THIS WILLL FIX YOUR PROBLEM
    Friday, August 31, 2007 9:14 PM
  • hello im getting the same message that you said that you got if you ever found out how to fix it can u please email me at bmxrdr193@gmail.com thank you
    Saturday, September 01, 2007 9:53 PM
  • dear sir

ie6  restart problem how to clear this os windows 2000

Monday, September 03, 2007 6:50 AM
  •  lezlij wrote:

Hi,

I am having the same problems but I cant get vista to restore.

does anyone have any answers yet?

Thanks

Tuesday, September 04, 2007 12:48 AM
  • 'Windows Explorer has stopped working' message appears when I am editing photos in Windows Photo Gallery. Not sure if this is the same problem as any that have been previously posted. Not that computer literate so I am unsure about trying restores etc until I am sure that it will fix my particular problem.

Can anyone help (layman's terms please) ??

Thanks 

Tuesday, September 04, 2007 11:27 AM
  • Can you send me what you did to fix this issue...it is driving me crazy!  bryan.garibay@roadrunner.com

Wednesday, September 05, 2007 2:22 AM
  •  

thanks T206MMA !!! it really helps mi alot!!! thanks! i have this problem for almost the whole day but because of ur solution, i solve it within 15mins! thanks!
    Wednesday, September 05, 2007 2:19 PM
  • hey,

thanks. what more could i say.

as you said, out of four lines, remove two of the lines and keep the DEFAULT  and COMPONENT CATEGORIES CACHE DAEMON.

i removed the one that was definitely the virus entry [frantamalism....(whatever)] but the other entry i have is "windows dreamscene" . just to be sure , do you think its the entry made by virus or genuien entry made by the vista ultimate.

i have not removed the entry: windows dreamscene., yet. after restarting the computer, waaaalllaaaa..... there is no F82king "windows explorer has stopped working " message and restating message as well.

after, freaking trying restore point and what not.....   

once again, thanks. you are my [very expensive] computer life saver. i was at the verge of throwing my pc from the top of the building.

Thursday, September 06, 2007 1:48 PM
  •  

ive managed to uninstall/delete some of the files but there is still a couple in the active x folder where they were installed that i cant get rid of because i dont have permission.  any advice on how to get rid of these? also, since this *** thing happened i cant set my homepage anymore, it always goes back to being a blank page, is this related?

thanks heaps for all the help fellas!!

Friday, September 07, 2007 4:37 AM
  • 3lakes

Thank you.... thank you... thank you... I had tried other solutions as recommended by other frustrated users and nothing was working... I almost gave up... your solution was simple and it worked... thank you... I couldn't believe it when the hard drive stopped running as I implemented your solution... after trying to solve the problem for days and days .... YEAH!!!!

Monday, September 10, 2007 1:36 AM
  •  3lakes wrote:

I had this problem for the last 3 days on my laptop. It drove me nuts. I spent 5 hours with Microsoft tech,  reinstalled over the os and and still this did not resolve the problem.   Finally, they transfered me to there higher tech specialists after 3 days of total hair pulling frustration and in 5 minutes he had it resolved by going into the registry open HKey local machine, software, microsoft,windows, CurrentVersion, explorer,Shared Task Scheduler, and remove two of the four lines that were there. The only lines I kept were "default" "component Catergories cashe daemon"   The other lines were placed in there by the spyware and were the infections.   Once this was done,  it ran perfectly. I can't believe they have not passed this on to their first teir technicians.  There needs to be a auto fix for this that one can use to repair this problem.

To get to the registry you have to do cont-alt-del,  start  Windows Task Manager, disable explore.exe by high lighting it in the Image Name Tab. Click end process. This will stop the loop. Then go to file, click New Task Run. Here type in "regedit". This gets you to the registry.  Then follow the above. It worked for me. Hope it works for you.

This is the one that works after every other choice failed. Basically poor form for MS to disable System Restore by default on Vista so that wasn't an option for this customer. A few of the other solutions offered were helpful and aimed in the right direction but this is the one that was simplest and actually worked.      Thanks 3Lakes !!!
    Tuesday, September 11, 2007 5:45 PM
  • yes, just got hijacked by this nasty little jerkoff this morning.

I've got dual boot with Ubuntu, and once I started the Longhorn Loader (Vista) F8 wouldn't pull up the System Restore.  But its a 3 click solution, even with the looping error windows.  Just practice StartMenu->BackupAndRestoreCenter->"Use System Restore to fix...". Need to be *quick* as if you don't make it to "Use..." in time, it will kill the window.

After that, plain sailing.

Wednesday, September 12, 2007 10:28 AM
  • I have this problem on Vista Ultimate Signature as well as Home Premium. Thanks for the info - I turned UAC off and so far so good (20 minutes). Thanks!! Bob

Wednesday, September 12, 2007 7:37 PM
  • got the same problem ,any solution yet??

Friday, September 14, 2007 3:55 AM
  • I did a system restore to try and solve this as well and it didn't fix the problem.  I am also trying to get rid of w32. Myzor.FK@yf virus which probably started the problem in the first place.  I have the website to try and get rid of it.  I wonder which one I should try first?

Friday, September 14, 2007 9:43 AM
  • Have had the problem for two days.

Using Vista Home Premium.

Any help is appreciated

Sunday, September 16, 2007 1:33 AM
  • Dude....it's like you're me, for that moment it happened to you, for the EXACT, scenario happened to me.mExcept, I don't know how to find Windows Restore. I backed up all my files on a few discs, but haven't used them yet, not sure if I should. It's weird, the very same thing is happening to me for the very same reasons.

Sunday, September 16, 2007 3:36 AM
  • I had  the same problem tried everything. found out this was caused by a trojan downloader virus, ran mcafee did not find problem until i finally ran windows defender on my pc it found the virus and removed it, system works fine now. 

Sunday, September 16, 2007 6:12 AM
  • Hi All,

i had the same problem since a couple days and i tried a lot... couldn't remember what i did before it started.

Today i found this here

http://petesbloggerama.blogspot.com/2007/02/ie7-vista-internet-explorer-has-stopped.html 

it sets the Internet explorer settings to default. (Internet options > advanced > reset).

this worked for me.

...and now the cause for the explorer has stopped working message on my HP dv6375us... it was the latest version of IE7Pro plugin which caused this message... as soon as i enabled the plugin i got the message again. so i deinstalled IE7Pro and put an older version on my pc... now it works.

and i get no annoying explorer has stopped working message anymore.

so even if you are not using the IE7Pro plugin, just try to reset your internet explorer... maybe it solves your probs too!

cheers to all for all the tips here!

Marc

Sunday, September 16, 2007 1:15 PM
  • The only option at last would be to fromat the computer

Sunday, September 16, 2007 2:33 PM
  •  

ronald i love you god bless you omfg that worked instantly very fast and everything your the greatest human ive ever SEEN
    Sunday, September 16, 2007 5:28 PM
  • everyone use ronalds links on page 4, they are anti-trojans they worked for me and it was done in 5 seconds, i love this guy i made this account just so i could tell you how legit he is

Sunday, September 16, 2007 5:31 PM
  • I too am having the same issue both on my office computer, and my system at home. Same problem as many others. The set point was not on so unless there is a fix, the corrective answer will be to redo oprating system.

Monday, September 17, 2007 5:06 PM
  • Your solution worked for me immediately. Thanks for the forthright information. The problem with other proposed solutions was that Explorer kept restarting, and if one stopped the Explorer task, then other parts of the system were much harder to find.

Monday, September 17, 2007 11:37 PM
  •  3lakes wrote:

Finally, after 3 days of total hair pulling frustration, in 5 minutes he had it resolved by going into the registry. Opening HKey_local_machine, and then going to software, microsoft,windows, CurrentVersion, explorer,Shared Task Scheduler, and remove the lines that arent "default" and "component Catergories cashe daemon"   The other lines were placed in there by the spyware and were the infections.   Once this was done,  it ran perfectly.

To get to the registry you have to do cont-alt-del,  start  Windows Task Manager, disable explore.exe by selecting under processes, and then selecting end process. This will stop the loop. Then go to file, click New Task Run. Here type in "regedit". This gets you to the registry.  Then follow the above. It worked for me. Hope it works for you.

I kind of edited the above quote, but I am virtually bowing to 3lakes for his willingness to call Microsoft and then post the information. I was among the legions of losers duped into watching a video requiring a downloadable ActiveX control. Then the virus took over my computer. The popups of "Windows is Restarting" etc. got annoying but I could at least semi-function. I have lived with these ridiculous messages for 6 days, and was seriously considering re-formatting the drive and just hoping transfer my vacation pictures and other important items to another computer. I had tried everything else in this forum, and, thanks to 3lakes, I was FINALLY able to correct my computer. (No thanks to Microsoft, who by default have System Restore turned off at installation and after until manually changed.)

~TJ

*Bows again*

Friday, September 21, 2007 1:21 AM
  • I worked on an Acer notebook this morning with Vista Premium32 that is only a month old and it recently started the endless "explorer has stopped working" message every log in as well as in safe mode. They called Acer as Futureshop did not give them any restore disks when they purchased it, as well as a bill for $40!! I was asked to look at it before they brought it into Futureshop to restore it. Anyways, my solution.

1. Press and hold the "windows key" on your keyboard and press "R" as the explorer error is cycling through.
    Type in "taskmgr" and press "enter".

2. Right click "explorer.exe" from the processes tab and click "end process tree", then choose "yes" of course and the endless cycling explorer error shouldn't bug you now.

3. Press and hold the "windows key" on your keyboard and press "R", Type in "control" and press "enter".

Open "User Accounts", there will be a checkbox "Turn on User Account Control (UAC) to make your computer more secure" click to unselect the "Use User Account Control (UAC) to help protect your computer". Click on the Ok button.
    "Here are some alternate ways to disable UAC"

5. Next create a new user account and give administrator permissions. Log off as the current user. Log in to the new account you created.

If the problem is the same as what happened to the Acer your new account will work "explorer has stopped working" free.
    If you want to restore your documents/favorites etc go to c:\windows\users\old account name and move your files to wherever you like. I ran spyware utilities after the fix and a virus scan with no problems found. Well, hopefully this helps somebody.

Sunday, September 23, 2007 1:01 AM
  • I ha dthe same problem managed to download 2 programs to try and get rid of virus but windows explorer kept shutting down. Finally managed to get to my computer clicked on properties then on the tools tab and had it scan my hard drive. Since I did scan disk , I have had no problems yet. Hopefully that solved it haven't seen those error messages in over 6 hours now. You can try scandisk on yours and see if that remedies it.

Sunday, September 23, 2007 1:27 AM
  • After many Hours Serching,  IEpro 7  seems to be causing my problem.

After uninstalling IEpro 7 and restarting the problem stopped and Windows explorer now works fine.

Shame great little add om for IE7.

Sunday, September 23, 2007 7:05 PM
  • hey Vikram,

i had this problem of explorer restarting after almost 15-20 days after i upgraded to vista...but it was not infinite loop...

it was just once in a while issue...but after my friend installed i-Tunes s/w...it went in an infinite loop...there was no way to use the system anymore...

to fix it...i simply followed ur advice...and it has done wonders for me...the system is working perfectly fine...thanx a lot...

great job buddy!!

P.S.-- i b'lieve vista is still maturing....it has loads of compatibility issues with drivers and s/w....so we have to bear with it & be very careful for sometime...still i love vista...it will come gud in future...
    Friday, September 28, 2007 5:19 PM
  • Hey,

Can you please help me!! I have a stupid problem with my vista... I have messages such as <windows explorer has stopped working> and contd... I heard that you had the same problem too.. as soon as my desktop screen appears I see a message that <file description missing> has stopped working.. How did you resolve your problem?

Please send me a reply..

Avinash Kothapalli

Saturday, September 29, 2007 12:37 AM
  •  

Hey Avinash,

u need to do following steps--

1. Just put your Vista dvd in the DVDROM...

2. Make your DVDROM 1st boot device by going in the BIOS...

3. Restart it...

4. Select Vista O.S. when it asks...

5. If its damaged...it will ask to repair...select it..

6. On the way if it asks to restore..then do that too...

It must run fine after that...

Thanx

itsmemad.

Saturday, September 29, 2007 2:29 PM

• To share my experience with this problem.. not a virus, not spyware.

I found that the problem was caused by "Acer Empowering Technology"... When you buy any laptop these days you don't get a clean copy of Vista. You get a special version with all kinds of built in *** from the manufacturer.  Mine is a (very expensive) Acer Laptop, full of embedded software for all the bells and whistles. In other words, full of *** that can and will go wrong.

As soon as I uninstalled "Acer Empowering Technology", windows explorer started working normally.

Good Luck !
    Friday, October 05, 2007 6:44 AM
  • With regard to the .COM Surogate error. If you uninstall URGE from your Windows Media Player (Go into control panel, programs and uninstall it. That error will go away. As for the Windows Explorer has stopped working, I got nothing. Still checking on that one.l
    Saturday, October 06, 2007 1:34 PM
  • MARKBMX: " it sets the Internet explorer settings to default. (Internet options > advanced > reset)."

I think we all have the same problem, but with different issues. I've seen that Windows Explorer crashes because a lot of circumstances. THIS WORKED FOR ME TOO.
    Sunday, October 07, 2007 12:07 PM
  • Thank you itsmemad,

I restored the system thrice but still I have the same problem. My problem actually started when I first reinstalled. I thought I did'nt restore it properly so I asked a proffessional to do it and it was the same after he did it too..

anyways thnx for trying to help

Avinash

Sunday, October 07, 2007 4:17 PM
  •  

i have a problem with my windows vista

it says windows explorer has stopped working and needs to restart it say it after a while about 30 minutes to an hour

i dont know what to do anymore ive done 9 system recoveries using cd's and it still happens its been doing this ever since i bought it

plz help

Sunday, October 07, 2007 11:23 PM
  • Thanks for the tip - it took me a while to find this..
    "control panel, then programs, then programs & features, look for "windows warning" or "windows safety alert"

Thanks to all the Chucks of the world.
    Monday, October 08, 2007 2:44 AM
  • Hi there I'm experiencing the same problem, did you manage to find a solution?Please, can you help me?

Friday, October 12, 2007 1:29 PM
  • I'm experiencing the same problem, did you manage to find a solution? Please, can you help me?

Friday, October 12, 2007 1:32 PM
  • the following link contains an update just released by Microsoft very recently the reason why most of all have these problems is because we have our drivers set to different preferences

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=e3992046-32b9-4a0d-9e02-acba698aa675&displayLang=en

Friday, October 12, 2007 10:54 PM
  • I removed the last file I added to my desktop. It turned out it was corrupted one way or another. (.avi - file).
    I booted to XP (I have dual-boot) and deleted the file from X:\Users\'username'\Desktop - folder (where X is the Vista-partition).

Problem solved!
    Monday, October 22, 2007 6:59 AM
  • A friend had the same problems with explorer. I tried just about all the suggestions in this forum regarding this and other issue and nothing worked. Then it came to me, install fireforx. Everything is working fine now.

nEo

Monday, October 22, 2007 1:54 PM
  • lol

same problem for everyone I cant say that the reason is same but I can assure it is because of installation of some software which act as  explorer blocker

There are many solution according to the programs that has been installed on your system by mistake

one reason which is

http://www.smart-browser.com/  click to this site click on downloads

http://smart-browser.com/uninstall-smart-browser.exe  download this and then  run it

try to reproduce the problem its gone.

there are some product not compatible with vista and thus creates problem

If it solves your problem its ok

otherwise send me details of temp folder and program files folder on your system

and uninstall all non authentic softwares

tjitender@gmail.com

Friday, October 26, 2007 2:52 AM
  • 1.Restart the computer with safe mode with Command Prompt.

2.Open User Accounts Window using command "netplwiz".

3.Create new user account.

4.Then log into new user account.

5.Copy all the files from old user account to New user account.

6.Delete the old user account.

Issue is Fixed !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

vki

Thursday, November 08, 2007 3:01 PM
  • It does not help with the constant crashes of explorer even though it does help on removing those annoying popups for asking Administrator's privileges when run many applications.
    Sunday, November 18, 2007 8:28 PM
  • people what u have to do is remove a program the you have downloaded that is not compatible with windows vista thata what it is.

r3m3mber that not every thing is compatible with windows vista

Monday, November 19, 2007 1:11 AM
  •  

hi guys i got the same problem in the past, but it had been fixed during an update from november 2007. yust update your computer.
    Monday, November 19, 2007 1:16 AM
  •  

Hi.

I've recently discovered the same problem with my Fujitsu Siemens Amilo Notebook.

I tryed to switch on and off the User Account Control.

Thats in Control Panel.

Everthing to do with Windows Explorer doesn't work: Control Panel, My Computer, My Documents, the lot!!!

Could you sugest a sullution?

Tuesday, November 20, 2007 5:55 PM
  • Hi,

Same problem!

I have windows vista ultimate o.s.

Have tried several things but the last one seems to be working. I had recently updated Windows Live (Family Safety from Windows Live One Care). I removed the update from Control Panel (Programs and Features) two days ago.Since then I haven't had any more crashes with widows explorer. This was just a guess but so far so good! 

I don't know if this could be the problem or not.

Good luck.

earlg

Wednesday, November 21, 2007 4:13 AM
  • NOBODY CLICK ON THE LINK FOR PROTECTIONFIELD{DOT}com; spyware will install even if you are in protected mode, and it will bypass McAfee and One Care (but not kapersky, norton, and perhaps others).

Thursday, November 22, 2007 1:46 AM
  • Hi,

Same problem. I have Windows Vista Ultimate O.S.

Remove "Family Safety from Windows Live One Care"

Problem has disappeared, Windows Explorer no longer crashes.

Bye,

earlg

Thursday, November 22, 2007 7:12 AM
  • I HAVE FOUND A SOLUTION !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wihiii !!

I've been breaking y head why 2 brand new copmuter based on the new Intel TowerLake mainboard keep

having his "windows explorer has stopped" problem and findally I found the cause !!

It's the damn "Intel Desktop Utilities" program which is buggy as HELL

Just remove it from startup or completely uninstall it, restart the computer, and .. wala  !

Sunday, November 25, 2007 11:07 PM
  • As a previous vista user I had baught vista dvd and installed it and also baught a preinstalled vista computer and I still have had problems so I got rid of it but for the time I had it I decided to modify it and see if the problems can be fixed.

The exlporer reloading is an error that "might" be fixed when service pack one is realseased but theres no promises.

I suggest using windows XP because its reliable and for those who experiance problems with service pack 2 XP there is Service pack 3 coming out next year and is avalible to download for free but vista might cost.

I want you all to think how much space dose xp take with pro and how much dose vista take.

XP HOME= 1.5GB

XP PRO = 2.0GB

VISTA BASIC = 10.00GB

VISTA HOME PREMIUM = 15.00GB

VISTA BUISNESS = 20.00GB

VISTA ULTIMATE = 25-30.00GB

Now the space difference is huge and those sizes are just installing drivers and just the OS.

My computer is supposed to be vista capable and it crashed every 10 minutes I did manage to fix that but ever since then my computer began to experiance problems and the battery could not take it (19 cell hp battery) and now i have restored back to XP after wearing out my cpu and my hard drive and my batery lasts 1 hour instead of 5-7.

I have only had vista on my computer for 4 months and it has vastly reduced system perfomance and I REALLY REALLY urge you to get XP before its too late! the explorer is almost irriversable and the desktop is somthing that cannot be fixed its what you call an instable os that has been in the making for 7 years and I must say for those people who say vista is a good opperating system their crazy.

My over all opinion is vista looks cool BUT its a bad os and personaly I think you should go to XP and use an Vista theme is easier that way and it will save you many a giggabyte.

So save you some £ £  £   £     £  so save your computer and be smart.

---------------The tech dude-------------------

Tuesday, November 27, 2007 11:13 AM
  • my problem was Nero. uninstall it.it solves the problem

Sunday, December 09, 2007 9:35 AM
  •  

I've been having this problem for a couple of months, and every "fix" that I've read about doesn't seem to apply to my problem.  I get the "windows explorer has stopped working.." "windows is restarting", messages, and also "com surrogate has stopped working"  (the 2nd message probably more frequently). I'm using a new pc, HP media center with vista hompe premium. I'm not a beginner, but not an expert either---I would say my experience is "intermediate".  I'm usually pretty good at figuring out problems, but this one has really got me stumped!
    Sunday, December 16, 2007 7:21 PM
  • I assembled a PC and installed Vista Home Premium as it is going to be the 'future'. This problem of 'Windows Explorer stopping...."came up a couple of days after I installed and started loading programmes. Not an expert in PCs so was at a loss what to do when I came upon this thread. After reading all through I could not locate WINDOWS Safety Alert or WINDOWS WARNING on my PC. Then I found that Windows Family Safety was popping up after start up saying that it has not been configured. When I tried to do it it said I am not online though I was through my Dial Up. I had disabled LAN as I am not using ADSL. I tried to 'tell' this programme there is no LAN but there was no way to do it. I just uninstalled this programe and for about 45 minutes I am trying off and on to open Control Panel, Computer etc. and it opens without problem.

Hope this helps someone.

Tuesday, December 18, 2007 6:00 PM
  • I got the problem after I installed Window Live One care family safety.  I uninstalled family safety immediately.  The computer is now back to normal.

Saturday, December 29, 2007 5:32 PM
  • Today I encountered this problem of Windows Explorer crashing and restarting in an endless loop. The problem started when the computer came out of sleep mode. Following the advice of some posters on this thread I tried the following:
    • I downloaded and ran Trojan Explorer but this did not help.
    • I tried Safe Mode but the same problem occurred there.
    • Pressing CTRL + ALT + Delete ran the Task Manager which enabled me to kill all instances of the explorer process. This prevented it from restarting although I was without taskbar and desktop (to be expected).
    • Gained access to the filesystem by running iexplore as a new task in Task Manager and then typed C: in the address bar. This started an instance of Windows Explorer filemanager.
    Finally, after much searching I came across the following advice in another forum, which cured the problem for me:
    • Find CMD.EXE in C:\Windows\System32 and run with admin privileges (right click to select option on popup menu)
    • Type the following command.... SFC /scannow
    This file system integrity checker included with Vista attempts to fix any corrupt files it comes across. For more info see the following link: http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/verify-the-integrity-of-windows-vista-system-files

I hope this helps someone!
    Monday, December 31, 2007 7:33 PM
  • I encountered the same problem as everyone else here, the very moment I tried downloading a slow-moving DIVX video stream.  The file downloaded by default to my desktop, and was a .divx file.  I figured this might be the problem, disabled Explorer in the task manager, and tried to get to that file.  Every time I clicked on it, Explorer died and closed the folder before I could confirm the deletion.  After looking through this entire thread without success, I figured that this file must be the problem, and tried searching for a combination of the error message and "divx".

Apparently this error can happen when you have a folder open containing a media file which for some reason might have an error or corruption - Vista tries to load a thumbnail version of the file, can't, and Explorer crashes.  I figure, if it's on your desktop, this is just going to hapen over and over again since it's trying to thumbnail the same screwed-up file again and again. 

After shutting down Windows Explorer in the task manager, I went to new task, run, ran C:\, got a folder open, went to folder options, view, and chose the option to view only icons and not thumbnails. When I went to the desktop folder this time, I could click on and delete the file with no problems.  I'm still running my scans (AVG gave me nothing, malicious software removal tool gave me nothing, and I'm betting Spybot S&D won't turn up anything either), but when they're done, I'm rebooting.  I'll let you know if I'm successful.
    Sunday, January 06, 2008 11:57 AM
  • It worked.  Anyone who's been encountering this problem and found that none of the above solutions worked, there's your fix!

Now it's just a matter of getting Windows set up with the right decoding software to make sure that doesn't happen again.
    Sunday, January 06, 2008 12:19 PM
  • The problem was an incomplete file on my desktop (a failed downloaded file), I just erased it from another computer on the network (the desktop is shared) and problem solved.
    Monday, January 07, 2008 9:16 AM
  • I thought this what my problem was as well, I deleted the incomplete file from my desktop, but I still get the windows explorer not responding message. I moved the file from the desktop to a folder in my documentsbefore I deleted it though, so i don't know if this makes any difference -  I've tried system restore and a few other remidies listed here, but nothing is working - I'm thinking my only option now would be a complete re-boot Sad

Wednesday, January 09, 2008 1:05 AM
  • I had the same problem, and i fixed it by downloading and unzipping registry files.  I'll explain you how its done.  When that message comes and reloads desktop it says that its checking for solutions.  after it does that if it finds solution it will be in your problems and solutions in control panel.  Go to control panel and switch to classic view.  Go to problems

reports and solutions.  In there it will show what solution it came up with.  Just follow the instructions.  More likely it will be messenger family safety future thats installed with vista.  It needs registry files to work correctly.  So read carefully and follow the instructions step by step.  It should do the trick!! Good luck

Saturday, January 12, 2008 6:33 AM
  • we are all saying that this is a virus, but I know this isn't because this has been happening to me since day one right as I was connecting to the internet, I right away searched for updates and got error code 80080005. i'm also having problems installing programes like Nero. "Setup.exe has stopped working." This is frusterating never the less.

Monday, January 14, 2008 3:05 PM
  • Hi

Tried the link, it now loops every 2 minutes instead of every 2 seconds.

Thanks anyway

Tuesday, January 15, 2008 10:41 PM
  •  

Hello,

I have the same problem with my windows vista home premium. I turned off the UAC and my problem was not solved!

In my case the error message appers only when i close the last folder from the taskbar . If i open several folders and put them down on the taskbar i don't get any errors. It is only when i close them and get to the last one.

Monday, January 21, 2008 8:43 AM
  •  

So David,

I is a problem due to registry problem.

I have a reg fix for this problem

Download it from this link:

http://download.microsoft.com/download/c/8/3/c83b06ac-17bc-4677-9f9c-5a3701bc61b2/MSKB946758.exe

reply me on this id : manforever511@yahoo.com

Tuesday, January 22, 2008 4:52 PM
  • OK 1st off I apologize profusely about not being very computer smart. I dont know the language that well and have only owned my 1st computer ever (Toshiba laptop with Vista Home Basic). Being almost 40 and just getting your 1st computer is a big thing. So things I say may be pretty stupid and Im sorry.

My laptop just started with this problem yesterday morning (Jan22/08). When I logged onto my laptop, everything loaded until Windows Explorer...it stopped there and kept displaying it had shut down and was looking for it again, and again and again etc...  I have tried many (atleast 10-12) diff anti virus programs but as of yet NOTHING!!! Yes some of them found stuff but obviously not the one thats affecting Windows Explorer cause its still looping...
    Forgive me if this is a stupid question, but since I know where the problem is (Windows Explorer) can I not delete it right from there or download something thats just for Windows stuff?

Also the only way i can get on my laptop is thru the Guest section I had made when i 1st got my laptop...

Anyone help this poor computer illiterate soul??? lol  Thanx
    Thursday, January 24, 2008 12:09 AM
  •    I was getting the "Windows Explorer has stopped working" all the time especially when opening pictures.

I tried most of the solutions in the posts and I still had the problem. Today I used the "divide and conquer" method on the start up programs. I ran msconfig and deselected half of the start up programs and restarted but the problem continued. Then I deselected the other half of the start programs and the problem stopped. I can open pictures even with thumbnails. Now I have to find out which of the deselected programs caused the problem. 

I am holding my breath that this may correct the problem. Sort of like all the remedies for stopping hiccups.

Hope this helps someone.

Thursday, January 24, 2008 5:44 PM
  • If I boot from the vista DVD will I loose any of the stuff saved on my PC????
    please answer coz nothing seems to be going right eventhough I have tried everything!!
    thanx
    Adam
    Thursday, January 24, 2008 11:32 PM
  • I've started experiencing the problem yesterday.

Running Vista Ultimate 32-bit.

Have not installed anything in over two weeks other than Windows Critical Updates. Ran a virus scan with Symantec Corporate and spyware scan with Defender and the newest AdAware. Nothing suspicious in my Task Manager. Nothing suspicious in my startup programs in MSConfig.

Nothing from the previous suggestions has helped.
    Wednesday, January 30, 2008 3:26 PM
  •  

yea I have the exact problem I on the other hand bought the same notebook from a crackhead for 300 dollars and the problem exists so I didn't have the option to set up System Restore functions.  So is there any hope for me?  BTW I am NOT a crackhead ..... I just know some shady characters! My Laptop needs Intervention though!
    Friday, February 15, 2008 6:18 AM
  •  

Eh im not bill, but buddy bill gates, seriously dude you have billions of dollars, its not like you have any problem hiring more programmers to address this issue....

THIS IS HAPPENING!!!! FIX IT you skank!

Windows Explorer has stopped working.  Windows Explorer is restarting.  - Desktop reloads <---- FIX ME!

See even the error is asking you to fix me!

Yes im high
    Tuesday, February 19, 2008 9:44 AM
  • still waiting for a solution this is getting bad

Wednesday, February 27, 2008 9:49 AM
  •  

Hey thanks Steve Everything is alrite now
    Thursday, February 28, 2008 7:53 AM
  • RV, you are the man. I am  not an expert, so I tried everything people recomended, from cntrl alt delete to some more complicated stuff that I did not understand. Not only what you said worked, but it made sense. The issue is no longer. Thank you.

And to all of you that are having this same problem, You know that something you installed caused this problem, so get deleting!!

Thanx again RV

Friday, February 29, 2008 5:28 AM
  • I was having the same problem with Vista.  Windows would quit working every time a system folder was closed.  Windows would start working again but not everything would be back in the toolbar, so the system would have to be reb ooted.  I was looking through my programs to get rid of unwanted stuff.  Also I began to get an annoying web page pop up while on the internet.  I found it had been installed in programs so i proceeded to uninstall until it asked me for a code to uninstall it.  Since I never did actually install... it must have come attached to something my son installed, i didnt have the code.  And for what kind of webpage it was.... nasty.. i didnt think id be able to get it.  So , I went into the Windows folder and clicked on regedit and found it.  I changed all the values to 0.  I closed the folder and the My Computer folder and Windows did not quit working.  I tried it a few more times just to be sure, and it continued working just like it should.  I have no clue why changing the values for an annoying website in my registry should correct the problem, but it did.

Saturday, March 01, 2008 8:04 PM
  • I had this problem shortly after I purchased a new Dell Computer in January. After spending over an hour with Dell remote support the problem was fixed. After the support session I reinstalled The Weather Channel toolbar and the problem reoccured. I unistalled the Weather Channel toolbar and so far no error message. Thought I would pass this along for what it is worth.

Tuesday, March 11, 2008 11:02 PM
  • Thank you ashkan, I have been living with this for 5 months and have tried every solution suggested from this forum with only a temporary fix when changing user name, etc. I uninstalled Nero and now the problem is gone, hopefully for good.
    Saturday, March 15, 2008 7:23 PM
  • I think I figured out what my issue was:

I deleted some of the right click options that came up for me. I had some program options like OmniPage, Adobe PDF and some other program. Nothing Nero, AntiVirus or other related. I went into my registry and deleted these program options. I rarely used them anyway.Search Google for "remove right click options" or something like it. I forget the link I used. Make sure you back up your registry before you attempt something like this or you may ruin something.

My only gripe is that I've had these items listed in my right click a long time before I started having this issue. I've tested this for two days and so far the problem hasn't occurred. I don't use OmniPage but during certain seasons of the year (when I have to scan documents for work and convert them to PDFs or Word Documents).

Saturday, March 15, 2008 7:31 PM

• buddy, u see to be lucky this time but i was not.
    the problem can not be solved by even microsoft.
    several people have their own events while explorer gets sopped.
    i usually get it stopped while double click or open the cBig Smilerive.
    i tried ur idea but the problem is as it was.
    can you plz suggest me something effective in my case.
    i would be happiest then, else i m in mood to return back to xp leaving the sucking vista back.
    hey........ if have a solution plz lend it to me toooooooo.

with regards
    vishwa
    Sunday, March 16, 2008 2:48 AM
  • I am urgent for a soloution, and i have must read over 50+ Suggestions and adivce!
    But i thought i would write what didn't work for me so you could try something different, or even see if they actually work for you:
    My Problem:
    I was converting .wmv video file using "www.media-convert.net" to .3gp so i can use it for my phone,
    so i left it to download for about 2 minutes, i came back and there it was..the deadly looping message of Vista.

I feel a little guilty for doing it but...i have used the website before and i am suprised/disappointed that this happened, and i hope i am wrong in the fact that "Media Convert" had anything to do with this.

Tested Soloutions:
    1-Task Manager "CTRL SHIFT ESC" > New task (RUN) > c:\Windows\system32
    And i tried looking for a recent ( .dll ) file that was >Supposedly< caused by something to do with "Spylock"
    I couldnt find a ( .dll ) file that was recent and had a Strange name Sad

2-Task Manager > Processes > System Idle Process and End Process.
        I got a message saying Determanation isn;t possible right now Sad

3-I tried deleting the Saved "video file .3gp" which was downloaded to my desktop , but it comes up with an error message making it not possible for me to delete it .

Please i beg you, if you have any help messages, advice anything?
    Feel free to email me at:
    amin_siala@hotmail.com

Thankyou.
    Wednesday, March 19, 2008 9:40 PM
  • I had the same problem, If I tried to do something while control panel is open, "Windows Explorer stopped working" then "Windows Explorer restarting"  kept coming on and wipping all open windows on the screen out. Here is what I did. I turned the computer on, waited until the normal screen (as usual) appeared. I did not open control panel. I placed Recovery DVD into  DVD drive and closed it. It auto-started and appeared on the screen. I cancelled it. I opened the control panel, followed by any program, Windows Explorer did not appear, the problem no longer was there. I took the Recovery DVD out, restarted the computer, much to my surprise, the headache was gone for good. DO NOT ASK ME WHY!!!

Wednesday, March 26, 2008 1:16 AM
  •  

The problem is Windows Vista.

Uninstall Windows Vista and install Windows XP instead.

This solves the problem (and hundreds of other problems) instantly.

It will make your life much better.

Good luck

Wednesday, March 26, 2008 1:26 AM
  • I think that it is Microsoft problem & I do expect the ansver from them & techNet tey are the experts and they created this monster!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thursday, April 03, 2008 10:33 PM
  •  

I see that you are getting the message saying windows explore stopped working. The cause of the issue might be due to various reasons

I recommend you to perform the steps given in the below link

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=B0C7136D-5EBB-413B-89C9-CB3D06D12674&displaylang=en

Improvements in reliability

Windows Vista SP1 includes improvements that address many of the most common reasons for which Windows stops responding. Many of the reliability improvements in SP1 are in response to issues that customers reported by using the Windows Error Reporting tool.

Other reliability improvements in Windows Vista SP1 include improvements in wireless computer-to-computer (ad hoc) connections, better peer-to-peer connections, such as using Windows Meeting Space, and many more.

Improvements in performance

Windows Vista SP1 includes many changes that can improve your computer's speed and performance. Here are some of the areas that are improved:

Faster copying or extracting files from a compressed mode.

Better use of network bandwidth when browsing file shares over a network.

Improved performance from Windows ReadyBoost in reducing the time it takes for Windows to wake up from Hibernate and Standby power modes.

Better power consumption when your computer screen is idle for a long time.

Improved logon experience when using a corporate computer, such as a laptop, outside of the corporate network.

Faster opening of large image files

Changes in memory (RAM) reporting

SP1 also changes how the random access memory (RAM) that is installed in your computer is reported. Before SP1, the amount of memory reported was equal to the amount of memory that Windows was able to use. In SP1, the amount of memory reported is the amount of memory that is actually installed on your computer. If you have 4 gigabytes (GB) of memory installed, you’ll now see 4 GB of memory reported by features such as System or Performance Information and Tools in Control Panel. This change can only happen if your computer's basic input/output system (BIOS) is capable of displaying that much RAM

Thursday, April 10, 2008 1:44 AM
  • THANK YOU!!!  You saved me an angry trip to Best Buy! 

Saturday, April 19, 2008 2:54 PM
  • Possible Solution

I tested vista home premium on two computers

one had core 2 duo 2gb ram and 250 hd and navida 8500gm graphics card,

No problems with desk top WHAT SO EVER

Tried a hp pavilion ati 1 core 80gb hard drive 1gb 512 ram and ati graphics card

SO many desktop , graphic and system related problems

Its the softwares fault because its demanding too much from your computer and your computer cant keep up.

I advise go over all your equip ment inside of your "gadget" and see if anything needs upgrading

Saturday, April 19, 2008 4:06 PM
  • This only started to happen to me when I installed 2 quad processors. Microsoft might have a problem with Duo core, or Quad core cpu’s. Code started to mess up only after I installed them. Might be an Intel vs Microsoft thing.

Thursday, April 24, 2008 6:11 PM
  • I had this problem from the get-go after doing a fresh install of Ultimate x32 on a

Intel DX38 Motherboard

4 KMB DDR3

Intel Q6700 Processor

ATI 1950 Graphics

RAID 1 Array (Seagate SATA 250s)

I had only loaded the motherboard drivers and graphics card drivers when the problem appeared.  I have followed this thread closely and have tried several of the fixes.  Finally it seemed to stop, and I cannot relate this to any of the specific fixes.  I have noticed that Microsoft update has been a frequent visitor.  Is it possible that the problem has finally been addressed? 

Saturday, May 10, 2008 12:56 PM
  •  

Saturday, May 10, 2008 1:22 PM
  •  

I had the same problem running Vista x32 Ultimate on an--------

Intel DX38BT board with Q6700 processor

4 GB DDR3 Ram

ATI Radeon X1950 Pro

2 ea. Seagate 250s, SATA RAID1 (mirroring) array in the native Intel RAID controller, not the Marvell.

I removed the drives and used Disk Management on a different box to delete the previous volumes, rendering the drives “unallocated”.

I ran 4 passes of Memtest86, no errors.

Everything should have been clean to go.

Did a clean install of the Vista Ult. X32, with no network connection.

Created restore point

Added the Intel motherboard drivers from the included CD.

Created restore point

Added graphics board drivers.

Created restore point

Added software from the Intel motherboard CD, sound controls, Matrix storage manager, one or two other programs included on the CD, still no network connection.

Created restore point.

Finally connected to the internet to update Vista, 56 updates were added, rebooted to complete the updates, then the “Windows Explorer has stopped working” and restart loops started.  On powering off the machine, I get a dialog box :

Instruction at 0x003b278d referenced memory at 0x01a83ld8. The memory could not be read.

[OK]

Under the dialog box is a black screen with the following message:

“The following programs are still running

Explorer.exe

This program is preventing the computer from shutting down-Application Error

I can only assume that the problem arises as a result of something in the Vista updates, as the problem did not occur until the updates were installed. There are 56 +or- upgrades, and the thought of backing those out one at a time to determine which might be the offender seems daunting.  Does anyone have any advice as to how to manage this?

Sunday, May 11, 2008 6:02 PM
  • I have rolled back via "system restore" to a config previous to updating Vista, and no problem.  I am convinced it is a problem with one of the updates.  Microsoft, please help!

Sunday, May 11, 2008 6:53 PM
  • Hi I have had this problem for the last week now, i don't know what started it, but it keeps giving me the windows explorer stopped working, and resarting thing.  I cant open any folders or my computer because it closes the second my explorer restarts.  my explorer restarts every 10-30 seconds but i can access my internet and some other programs but not many.  if i go into safe mode, nothing changes.  i have Windows Vista and my computer is3 months old, its an HP
    please help me
    Sunday, May 11, 2008 10:49 PM
  • Now I am getting a message that the problem is with Windows and that no solution is available. Hopefully, MS is working on a patch

Monday, May 12, 2008 6:19 PM
  • Not even level 3 MS techs know what's going on. I'm still waiting on them to call me back.
    Tuesday, May 13, 2008 9:29 PM
  •  Sergiomiguel2 wrote:
    Hi I have had this problem for the last week now, i don't know what started it, but it keeps giving me the windows explorer stopped working, and resarting thing.  I cant open any folders or my computer because it closes the second my explorer restarts.  my explorer restarts every 10-30 seconds but i can access my internet and some other programs but not many.  if i go into safe mode, nothing changes.  i have Windows Vista and my computer is3 months old, its an HP
    please help me

I have read so many post to this problem, my headache is justified.  My boss handed me his daughter's laptop to figure out the same problem you folks have been having it is also an HP. You can use just about everything except for plugging into the USB ports, thats when it all starts for her. She tried to install a USB port device and gave up after a few minutes. Thought about that for awhile and it just did not seem like it would be a virus or spyware, looked like to me bad file(s). So this is what I did:  
            Press start > All Programs > Accessories > Right click on Command Prompt and then

Left click on Run as Administrator.
            When the commend prompt window opens type the following.
            sfc /scannow
            Note the space between (sfc) and (/)
            Press enter.

This worked like a charm, it found many corrupt files and repaired them at the same time also created a log file called, CBS.log
    I hope this is some help, the above had been posted before but it definitly does work.

Roy
    Friday, May 16, 2008 5:04 AM
  • I had to format and re-install everything. Now it is alright. Norton 360 was messing up my setup. Everyone..... before you install an update, you have to disable your virus software. Interfers with the update install. In my case, I un-installed Norton, installed my updates. Then re-installed 360. You don't have to go this route, but I'm not taking chances. Disable all virus scanning software. Also... call 800-360-7561 <=== Microsoft OEM  I ordered a new DVD for free with SP1 on it. My problem was I could not fix Vista because my DVD did not have SP1 on it.

Friday, May 16, 2008 10:07 PM
  • Roy if you could please help me because i cant acces my start menu, i can only open it for about 2 seconds and if i click on my computer it always closes when windows restarts....please help me and when i try to reformat my computer i can only do my C drive but somehow that didnt change much?? im really confused and dont have much time to talk to a person over the phone for a little while
    thank you
    Saturday, May 17, 2008 8:04 PM
  • K-lite codecs was the problem.

If you have any codecs intalled...Uninstall it. I don't know the motive. But I had K-lite codec in use for more than 2 weeks, and sudenly my computer start with the windows explorer loop. I could not imagine that a software intalled a 2 week ago could produce this error in current day. I tried all solution in this forum, and only unninstall the codecs resolved my problem. Maybe, if others solutions don't work, uninstall codecs can be an way to solve this. Thanks for all. I see you in another life brothas.

Sorry for my english, I hope you undestand what a I wrote.

Monday, May 19, 2008 12:44 AM
  • Amen to that. Why cant software people admit that they can make mistakes. I often have to deal with both hardware and software engineers and they alway point the finger at the other group. Cant MIcrosoft just fix this issue? I get very frustrated with these companys. While I will not buy an Apple (Bad experience with the IPOD) I will change operating systems to an open source software.

Saturday, June 07, 2008 8:53 PM
  • Again my "windows explorer needs to restart" and then it restarts.  I have no restore point and I've tried to boot from CD and that didn't work either.  Two RUN DLL messages popup upon startup byXNdcAp.dll and ddcBSJay.dll modules can't be found. here is my system scan.

Scan saved at 3:07:36 PM, on 6/27/2008
    Platform: Windows Vista SP1 (WinNT 6.00.1905)
    MSIE: Internet Explorer v7.00 (7.00.6001.18000)
    Boot mode: Normal

Running processes:
    C:\Windows\system32\taskeng.exe
    C:\Windows\system32\Dwm.exe
    C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashDisp.exe
    C:\Program Files\Synaptics\SynTP\SynTPEnh.exe
    C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_03\bin\jusched.exe
    C:\Windows\RtHDVCpl.exe
    C:\Program Files\Launch Manager\LManager.exe
    C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe
    C:\Acer\Empowering Technology\eDataSecurity\eDSloader.exe
    C:\Program Files\AIM6\aim6.exe
    C:\Program Files\Windows Media Player\wmpnscfg.exe
    C:\Program Files\Windows Sidebar\sidebar.exe
    C:\Windows\ehome\ehtray.exe
    C:\Windows\System32\rundll32.exe
    C:\Windows\System32\rundll32.exe
    C:\Acer\Empowering Technology\ENET\ENMTRAY.EXE
    C:\Acer\Empowering Technology\EPOWER\EPOWER_DMC.EXE
    C:\Acer\Empowering Technology\ACER.EMPOWERING.FRAMEWORK.SUPERVISOR.EXE
    C:\Windows\ehome\ehmsas.exe
    C:\Acer\Empowering Technology\eRecovery\ERAGENT.EXE
    C:\Users\Josh\AppData\Local\Temp\RtkBtMnt.exe
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\AOL\Loader\aolload.exe
    C:\Program Files\Windows Sidebar\sidebar.exe
    C:\Program Files\AIM6\aolsoftware.exe
    C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe
    C:\Program Files\uTorrent\uTorrent.exe
    C:\Windows\System32\wsqmcons.exe
    C:\Windows\explorer.exe
    C:\Windows\system32\Taskmgr.exe
    C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\HijackThis\HijackThis.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Bar = http://us.rd.yahoo.com/customize/ycomp/defaults/sb/*http://www.yahoo.com/search/ie.html
    R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://us.rd.yahoo.com/customize/ycomp/defaults/sp/*http://www.yahoo.com
    R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://en.us.acer.yahoo.com
    R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://en.us.acer.yahoo.com
    R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
    R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
    R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://en.us.acer.yahoo.com
    R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,SearchAssistant =
    R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,CustomizeSearch =
    R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\SearchURL,(Default) = http://us.rd.yahoo.com/customize/ycomp/defaults/su/*http://www.yahoo.com
    R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Local Page =
    R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Toolbar,LinksFolderName =
    R3 - URLSearchHook: Yahoo! Toolbar - {EF99BD32-C1FB-11D2-892F-0090271D4F88} - (no file)
    O1 - Hosts: ::1 localhost
    O2 - BHO: Adobe PDF Reader Link Helper - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Acrobat\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
    O2 - BHO: Skype add-on (mastermind) - {22BF413B-C6D2-4d91-82A9-A0F997BA588C} - C:\Program Files\Skype\Toolbars\Internet Explorer\SkypeIEPlugin.dll
    O2 - BHO: SSVHelper Class - {761497BB-D6F0-462C-B6EB-D4DAF1D92D43} - C:\Program