none
Unable to cleanup system error memory dump files

Question

• Hi all, I recently discovered that I am unable to clean "System error memory dump files" from Windows Disk Cleanup. Disk cleanup appears to be removing the files but the file size never changed after the cleanup completes. I have also deleted the dmp files from %systemroot% to no avail.

Has anyone encountered this before?

I am currently on Windows 7 Enterprise.

Would be great if someone could lend a helping hand.

Thanks.

Wednesday, June 23, 2010 2:44 AM

Answers

• Does the file c:\windows\memory.dmp exist?  If so what size is it - about 300 MB?  Try deleting it (or moving it to another location or piece of removable media) and then checking what Disk Cleanup reports.
    • Marked as answer by Bernie.h Monday, June 28, 2010 2:33 AM
    Thursday, June 24, 2010 4:18 PM

All replies

• bump
    Wednesday, June 23, 2010 11:39 PM
  • The minidump files tend to be rather small, and if you don't have a lot of them, it won't have a large impact on disk space.  What type of dump is your system configured to create?  I kernel dump can vary in size from a couple hundred MB to larger, depending on how much kernel memory is used.

Are you saying that the files exist, but you are not able to remove them? Or that the files don't exist in the first place? 

Thursday, June 24, 2010 1:27 AM
  • Hi thanks for your response.

It appears to be taking up ~ 300MB as shown on disk cleanup. It seems that disk cleanup is unable to remove them. It completes the removal but when i reopen it, everything else is cleaned except for System error memory dump files.

I believe the configurations are default as i have not tampered with it. Not particularly concerned about the disk space just wanted to know why the files are not being removed by the tool.

Thanks

Thursday, June 24, 2010 1:34 AM
  • Hi,

Do you mean that the “%SystemRoot%\Minidump” folder is empty, but the “System error memory dump files” folder size in “Windows Disk Cleanup” still shows 300MB?

Would you please follow the link below to capture the screenshots of the symptom and the Security tab of “%SystemRoot%\Minidump” folder for our further research?

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itproui/thread/4fc10639-02db-4665-993a-08d865088d65

Regards,

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Thursday, June 24, 2010 2:01 AM
  • Hi Arthur,

Do you mean that the “%SystemRoot%\Minidump” folder is empty, but the “System error memory dump files” folder size in “Windows Disk Cleanup” still shows 300MB? <-- Yes this is correct. I removed all the contents in %systemroot%\minidump and recheck in Windows Disk cleanup and it still says 300MB. I did a CTRL+A, Delete in the minidump folder and everything was cleared out.

I'll try to get a screenshot once i am back at home.

Thanks.

Thursday, June 24, 2010 4:41 AM
  • Does the file c:\windows\memory.dmp exist?  If so what size is it - about 300 MB?  Try deleting it (or moving it to another location or piece of removable media) and then checking what Disk Cleanup reports.
    • Marked as answer by Bernie.h Monday, June 28, 2010 2:33 AM
    Thursday, June 24, 2010 4:18 PM
  • Hi No Compromise. sorry for the late response ... i will give it a shot.

Btw minidump folder has 0 files and i have set it to full control for my account.

Sunday, June 27, 2010 11:16 PM
  • It would take a number of minidumps to measure up to 300 MB, but one memory.dmp could easily have that size - that's the premise for the suggestion. Good luck!
    Sunday, June 27, 2010 11:25 PM
  • Thanks No Compromise. you're suggestion fixed the issue. by deleting memory.dmp it cleared up in disk cleanup as well.

Any idea why couldn't disk cleanup wipe it off directly?

Monday, June 28, 2010 2:33 AM
  • Good to hear you were able to get the issue addressed!

Unfortunately, no - I don't know why Disk Cleanup couldn't deal with it.  Perhaps Disk Cleanup can report, but not remove that file?  Perhaps there was some kind of permissions issue?  (I don't run Disk Cleanup, so I don't know if it prompts for elevation, etc.)  Troubleshooting with Sysinternals' Process Monitor may turn something up if it happens again..

Do you recall the timestamp on the memory.dmp file?  Was it from a problem you previously had and resolved?

Monday, June 28, 2010 10:47 AM
  • No i have deleted the file and no longer has access to it. Perhaps i'll monitor it for now.

Thanks again for your assistance.

Wednesday, June 30, 2010 2:00 AM
  • hello, I have the same problem but the file does not exist on my laptop pc.  Disk cleanup used to work fine and then it suddenly stop working.  Not sure if it was related to a registry booster after I updated to windows 7 from vista.  The message iam getting is INF faillure access denied.  Thanks in advance for any assistace on this issue.
    Wednesday, July 14, 2010 3:48 PM
  • Robbie Roberts

I have the same problem as haby. Cannot delete system error memory dump files and cannot find c:\windows\memory.dmp or %SystemRoot%\Minidump on my PC. I am up to in excess of 8meg of files. Please help

Friday, September 23, 2011 1:58 PM
  • Little late to be weighing in here but I wanted to thank TreeAntz and No.Compromise for the question and the answer. I had the exact same problem but I was up to .99GB (yeah, gigabytes) that wouldn't clear.  It would be nice to know why Disk Cleanup couldn't touch the file but it's not too important.

Thanks again.

Saturday, November 12, 2011 3:57 PM
  • Works.
    Saturday, January 07, 2012 5:26 PM
  • I had the same problem on one Windows 7 computer and one Windows 8.1 computer.  Deleting c:\windows\memory.dmp fixed the problem, which had slowed down Disk Cleanup hugely.

Is it too much to expect that problems like this would be solved after 4 years?

Saturday, April 05, 2014 2:15 PM