none
Multiple Suggested Sites links being created in IE8

Question

• In my company we have several users where Internet Explorer 8 has created several iterations of the "Suggested Sites" button in the Favorites bar. The links created after the first are named such as Suggested Sites (2), Suggested Sites (3), and so on. Screen shot here:  http://i48.tinypic.com/2vbonee.jpg

This is happening on Windows XP Pro and all the machines in question seem to have the Suggested Sites feature turned off.

We are running in a Windows Server 2003 R2 domain and we are not using any Group Policy settings related to IE. I haven't been able to recreate the issue at will. I have tried simple things like turning on and off the suggested sites feature on the machines. The links seem to continue generating over time and I'm trying to stop it.

Has anyone here experienced this and found a solution?

Monday, January 18, 2010 5:27 PM

All replies

• Open your browser, right click on the suggested sites tab, and delete it. Do it for each one, they should not show up again.  The suggetsted sites tab automatically shows up, whether its on or not, you have to delete the tab itself to stop it`s function.

Even if you reset IE8, and when you start your browser it ask you to set your desired functions for IE8.  And you select (off) for suggested sites, the tab will show up anyway, because it was automatically selected to (on) when you first started using IE8.  It will not remove the suggested site tab for you when you select (off), you have to delete, and it should`nt show up again.

Tuesday, January 19, 2010 1:51 PM