none
Changing Pinned items on taskbar (quicklaunch) and Recently Used program links on Start Menu

Question

• I put up a post the other day regarding CopyProfile in unattend.xml used for mass roll-outs.  I think I might have been asking for the wrong thing.  What I really want to do is to customize the links/shortcuts that get pinned to the taskbar when a new local user account is created (or a new PC image is rolled out).  Specifically, I want to REMOVE the Windows Media Player link/shortcut that gets pinned to the quick-start taskbar by default.  I also want to remove many of the default items on the LEFT side of the start menu - the section that holds the 'recently used' program icons.  By default things like Remote Desktop, XPS viewer, fax and scan, etc. are put there during installtions and rollouts. 

I thought I could take care of those things by loggin in as a local admin user, deleting those items, then sysprep the machine with CopyProfile set to 'true'.  It looks like the logged in profile DID get copied to the deault profile, but any new local accounts created on the machine get the standard factory-set icons. 

Sooooo, how do I customize the Recently Used program links and pinned Taskbar links and set THAT to be the default for new accounts?

Free beer and three cheers for the answer......

• Edited by Dean Waters Friday, March 12, 2010 1:42 AM spelling error
    Friday, March 12, 2010 1:41 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hi Dean,

I think it's difficult to achieve all your aims, because the Recently used program icons are not unchangeable, you can disable this feature via changing the properties of the taskbar and the start menu, or else you must accept the feature. 

As  the pinned items, you can make change on the Pinned items via  the script file, I would like to share you with a useful link:

http://blogs.technet.com/deploymentguys/archive/2009/04/08/pin-items-to-the-start-menu-or-windows-7-taskbar-via-script.aspx

I hope this can help you.

John
    Friday, March 12, 2010 9:58 AM
  • To add to the scripting method, you can also copy icons to the C:\Users\Default\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch\User Pinned\TaskBar folder if you want to make them available to all profiles created AFTER you've copied icons into it.

This is handy I find when creating Images as it allows for quick customisations to the taksbar that will affect all users loging onto the machine after it's had the image deployed to it.

If the folder doesn't exist (Doesn't by default if I remember) then just create it.  I also then set it to hidden like it is in a normal user profile, but I'm just a neat freak :P

I've not yet found how to remove the media player icon without scripting it.

Cheers,
    SB

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/Bulletin/MS08-067.mspx If you don't ever patch anything, for god sake make sure this patch is on.......
    Wednesday, July 21, 2010 6:20 PM
  • Taskbar pins are a combination of file and registry items:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Taskband

c:\users\%USERNAME%\appdata\roaming\microsoft\internet explorer\quick launch\user pinned\taskbar\

Wednesday, July 21, 2010 7:01 PM
  • The only way I've found to remove the Windows Media Player shortcut so far is to disable Windows Media Player as an option in unattend.xml. This just removes the visible entry points to WMP - shortcuts and the entry in Default Programs, the binaries still remain on the system. Then recreate the shortcut using GPP or another method.

It's a bit of a hack and I'm not completely happy with that route, but it does remove the pinned shortcut from the Taskbar. 

Wednesday, July 21, 2010 8:32 PM
  • Maybe activesetup puts in the mediaplayer pin for new users?

Wednesday, July 21, 2010 9:16 PM