none
cursor hangup?

Question

• I have noticed on a  Windows 7 machine and a Vista machine, periodically the cursor stops when I am typing something . It could happen when I use IE or Word etc. Also the cursor  may move when I am IE to the search bar in the upper right corner of IE.

When the cursor stops, it may stop for up to 30 seconds or more.

Any ideas on how to fix this, please let me know.

Thanks

PS. Machines are Windows 7 (x64 and x86) and Vista Home (x86). Machines are fully patched.

Sunday, March 06, 2011 8:46 PM

Answers

• Hi David,

Thanks for posting in Microsoft TechNet forums.

For troubleshooting this issue, please follow these steps:

1. Using another keyboard on this computer, how’s the cursor working?

2. Using this keyboard on another computer, how’s the cursor?

3. How about other programs running on the computer? Is there any other hang issue?

3. Does it happen in Safe Mode?

4. Doing a Clean Boot to check if the issue persists.

If other keyboard works fine, please download the latest driver for that problematic keyboard then check if it works. Also contact the manufacture could be a better choice.

If this keyboard is working on another computer, I recommend you update the driver and check the keyboard settings.

Click Start, input keyboard in the search box, choose keyboard under Control Panel, set the Character repeat to “Short”, Repeat rate to “Fast”, and Cursor blink rate to “Fast”.

In addition, please also update the BIOS to the latest one.

Best Regards,

Miya Yao

TechNet Subscriber Support in forum. If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tngfb@microsoft.com

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. | Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Monday, March 07, 2011 2:50 AM
  • Right now, it hasn't repeated itself after the latest round of patches. If the problem re-occurs, I will start a new thread.

thanks for you help.

Saturday, March 12, 2011 9:27 PM

All replies

• Hi David,

Thanks for posting in Microsoft TechNet forums.

For troubleshooting this issue, please follow these steps:

1. Using another keyboard on this computer, how’s the cursor working?

2. Using this keyboard on another computer, how’s the cursor?

3. How about other programs running on the computer? Is there any other hang issue?

3. Does it happen in Safe Mode?

4. Doing a Clean Boot to check if the issue persists.

If other keyboard works fine, please download the latest driver for that problematic keyboard then check if it works. Also contact the manufacture could be a better choice.

If this keyboard is working on another computer, I recommend you update the driver and check the keyboard settings.

Click Start, input keyboard in the search box, choose keyboard under Control Panel, set the Character repeat to “Short”, Repeat rate to “Fast”, and Cursor blink rate to “Fast”.

In addition, please also update the BIOS to the latest one.

Best Regards,

Miya Yao

TechNet Subscriber Support in forum. If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tngfb@microsoft.com

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. | Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Monday, March 07, 2011 2:50 AM
  • The cursor problems has repeated itself on 3 laptops and 1 desktop so switching keyboards is impossible. Laptops are from Dell, HP and Asus.

The cursor is a normal cursor that stops and moves to another location.

I will check the bios and update if necessary. 

I will check the character repeat. and advise.

thanks for the ideas.

Monday, March 07, 2011 6:25 PM
  • Maybe you can keep process explorer going in the system tray, and bring it up after you're hanging.  You might be able to see a busy process in one of the summary graphs.  It will say the process name when you mouse over it.

Monday, March 07, 2011 7:41 PM
  • How's going?

Please feel free to give us any update.

Regards,

Miya Yao

Friday, March 11, 2011 10:14 AM
  • Right now, it hasn't repeated itself after the latest round of patches. If the problem re-occurs, I will start a new thread.

thanks for you help.

Saturday, March 12, 2011 9:27 PM
  • Thanks for your update.

Regards,

Miya

Monday, March 14, 2011 2:21 AM