none
Can't boot to Windows 7 DVD

Question

• On my Vista desktop computer I had downloaded the Windows 7 BETA and RC ISO's from here, burned them to DVD's, and was able to install each of them just fine onto a separate partition I made on my Vista computer.  However, I recently got my copy of the final release of Windows 7 from the house party promotion, and my desktop wouldn't boot the DVD.  My newer Vista laptop would boot to it just fine, but the older desktop would not.  My dvd burner on the desktop is an older NEC 3550-A, and ever since I upgraded from XP to Vista, the burner doesn't seem to be able to read the factory install DVD's (whether a Vista DVD or Windows 7 DVD).  I flashed the DVD burner to the latest firmware which was the same as was already on it, but that didn't help.  It's a Dell Dimension 4600 desktop.  Any ideas?  Would I probably just have needed to buy a newer DVD burner because of the way the factory install discs are set up?  Can I rip the image off the install discs and then install from the image rather than the disc if I don't want to buy a new DVD burner?
    Desktop: New one: Antec 300, Intel Pentium Dual Core E6300 2.8GHz, Gigabyte GA-EP43-UD3L, PNY 4GB PC6400 800MHz DDR2 RAM, EVGA Nvidia GeForce 9500GT 512MB DDR2, 500GB Seagate Barracuda 7200 16MB cache, 64-bit Windows 7 Ultimate, Antec Earthwatts 500 Watt PSU, Samsung SyncMaster 906BW 19" Widescreen LCD display. Old one: Intel Pentium 4 @ 3Ghz, 2GB DDR Ram, Nvidia 7600GS - AGP type. Laptop: Intel Pentium Dual Core T3200 @ 2Ghz, 3 GB DDR2 RAM, Intel GMA 4500MHD graphics
    Friday, October 23, 2009 4:00 PM

Answers

• Hi,

You may try the “Microsoft Fix It” tool to repair the optical drive. If it does not work, your optical drive may be damaged.

If so, you may only have two options below.

Option 1: Find another computer and transfer the installation files to the computer via the network connection.

Option 2: Purchase a new optional drive to replace the damaged one.

Good luck!

Arthur Li - MSFT
    Sunday, October 25, 2009 3:16 AM

All replies

• Hi, Can you borrow a external DVD device or internal DVD-Rom. Also try using a usb flash stick. 

Liinks below on creating a usb stick.

http://www.blogsdna.com/2016/how-to-install-windows-7-from-usb-drive-without-windows-7-iso-dvd.htm

http://lifehacker.com/5347382/wintoflash-turns-your-windows-installation-dvd-into-a-usb+based-installer

Slan go foill, Paul
    Friday, October 23, 2009 4:56 PM
  • No, I don't have an external or internal I can borrow.  And I don't have any usb thumb drives, so was hoping to just be able to rip the ISO from the dvd and install from there?
    Desktop: New one: Antec 300, Intel Pentium Dual Core E6300 2.8GHz, Gigabyte GA-EP43-UD3L, PNY 4GB PC6400 800MHz DDR2 RAM, EVGA Nvidia GeForce 9500GT 512MB DDR2, 500GB Seagate Barracuda 7200 16MB cache, 64-bit Windows 7 Ultimate, Antec Earthwatts 500 Watt PSU, Samsung SyncMaster 906BW 19" Widescreen LCD display. Old one: Intel Pentium 4 @ 3Ghz, 2GB DDR Ram, Nvidia 7600GS - AGP type. Laptop: Intel Pentium Dual Core T3200 @ 2Ghz, 3 GB DDR2 RAM, Intel GMA 4500MHD graphics
    Friday, October 23, 2009 5:24 PM
  • Hi,

Although the computer cannot boot to the Windows 7 installation DVD, do you have an operating system on this old computer? If there is an operating system on this computer, can it read the disk after logging into the operating system? If the answer is positive, you may just copy all the installation files from the Windows 7 installation disk to your local hard disk and start the installation from there.

Good luck!

Arthur Li - MSFT
    Saturday, October 24, 2009 7:24 AM
  • I think probably you need to check your BIOS Boot Device Options also make sure the DVD boot media on top of the list, after changing hit Save and Exit. 
    Saturday, October 24, 2009 7:28 AM
  • Hi, Do you have an usb external harddisk create a folder for W7 on it.

Put the DVD into your laptop's DVD drive and right click the DVD in my computer and explore contents select all and copy.

Then paste into folder on external harddisk. Then attached the drive to your desktop computer open the folder and double click setup to upgrade your Vista.

Back up important data first just in case.

Before you do disable Antivirus software or unistall it. 

Remove Google Desktop manager
    Remove iTunes
    Remove Logitech Remote Control Manager

Might also be a good idea to a defrag and Disk Clean up.

Slan go foill, Paul
    Saturday, October 24, 2009 11:39 AM
  • I have vista on it now.  It will not even recognize installation DVD's (whether the Vista one, or the Windows 7 one) so I can not copy the contents of the disc.  Like I mentioned above.  The dvd burner seemed to recognize the Vista DVD back when I had XP on the computer, and I was able to load Vista onto it just fine.  However, since upgrading to Vista, the dvd burner will no longer recognize factory Windows installation DVD's (the original Vista one that I had used to install Vista, and now the Windows 7 one too).  And, I have the optical drive set to the first boot device.
    Sunday, October 25, 2009 1:19 AM
  • Hi,

You may try the “Microsoft Fix It” tool to repair the optical drive. If it does not work, your optical drive may be damaged.

If so, you may only have two options below.

Option 1: Find another computer and transfer the installation files to the computer via the network connection.

Option 2: Purchase a new optional drive to replace the damaged one.

Good luck!

Arthur Li - MSFT
    Sunday, October 25, 2009 3:16 AM
  • I had the same issue, it's the NEC 3550a DVD drive, strange how MS discs would not work with such a popular drive ?
    Tried two different W7 discs Home and Pro. Both refuse to read so I downloaded a copy of W7 burned DVD and it works fine :)
    Sunday, October 25, 2009 4:02 AM
  • Also have problem of Windows manufactured DVD's not working. Yet other DVD's and CD's all work fine.
    Mine is a Gigabyte GO-W1616B, been working all along.
    Fixit also cannot resolve this problem.
    Wednesday, November 11, 2009 10:06 AM