none
Audio Device not recognized & Multimedia Audio Controller not working

Question

• I upgraded my IBM 8122-55U (now Lenovo) from XP Pro SP2 to Windows 7 Home Premium (64 bit), but lost my sound in the process.  I upgraded memory (4 gb) and graphics (Galaxy NVIDIA GeFroce GT 220) prior to the upgrade, and everything was working fine. 

I still have the original speakers that were running off the SoundMax Integrated Digital Audio driver.  I can't find any Windows 7 drivers for this.

I've done the Windows Update and the downloaded the driver from Lenovo again.  I even tried to run the driver setup in "compatiability mode" back to XP SP2with no success. 

I have noticed that after the install I also have a flagged device in Device Manager that is called "Mulimedia Audio Controller". Windows Search does not find a driver for that either.

I'm not a computer HW wiz, but I suspect that these two problems might be related. 

I'm not sure what to try next.  Any suggestions will be appreciated.  Hope I provided enough info.  I've never posted anything to a forum before. 

Thanks in advance.
    Saturday, November 07, 2009 6:19 AM

Answers

• According to a thread in a Vistax64 forum; http://www.vistax64.com/sound-audio/248847-how-install-soundmax-ad1888-your-vista-64-bit.html , there are 64-bit drivers availabe from Dell: http://support.us.dell.com/support/downloads/download.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=gen&releaseid=R145149&formatcnt=1&libid=0&fileid=193393

Here is a copy of his process:

How to install SoundMax AD1888 on your Vista 64-bit

Finally, I found a sollution with Dell Driver.
    Note: this screenshots is from Windows 7, but in Vista, is same process to install driver.

Look, if you open your .inf file of SoundMax AD1888 x64 for XP, and search for "Ad1888": not found, but:

[Odm.AddReg]
    ;Apply for AD198x codecs. Ability to swap control and data.

And AD1888? ASUS not provide a especify driver for Sound Cards...

But, i found a driver in Dell site to 64-bit systems, Warns that Windows can not verify that the driver is compatible, I forced install driver!

Download: SoundMax AD1888 from Dell

Decompress R145149.exe with 7-zip (http://downloads.sourceforge.net/sevenzip/7z465-x64.msi), right click in .exe, Extract files... and place in desktop and name folder to SoundMax

1. Go to Star menu, and type device manager in search box;
    2. Click in "Device Manager", open Sound, video and game controllers, right click in driver, and click in UNINSTALL.
    3. Restart system...
    4. Go to Star menu, and type device manager in search box;
    5. Click in "Device Manager", open Sound, video and game controllers, right click in driver, and click in Update driver.
    6. Click in Browser in my computer and click in "Let me pick from a list..."
    7. Click in Sound, video and game controllers, if not show this, skip this step.
    8. Click in button HAVE A DISK, and click in Browser, go to folder SoundMax in desktop, and click in amd64, double-click in smwdmCH5.inf and press OK BUTTON.
    9. AD1888 have a 6-channel sound, click in second "SoundMax Integrated Digital Audio" item.
    Click the image to open in full size.

First item: 5 channel
    Second: 6 channel CHOOSE THIS FOR AD1888
    Third: 7 channel

10. Click in next and confirm if Windows warns incompatibility of driver!
    11. Restart PC.

To test your driver, go to start menu, type "sound" in search box, click in "Sound item".
    Click in first item and press button configure!
    Click in L or R and test sound!

Note: I'm listen music 2 hours ago and no BSODs!
    • Marked as answer by Linda Yan Friday, November 13, 2009 1:47 AM
    Sunday, November 08, 2009 9:27 PM
  • Hi BillBratt923,

It seems the integrated audio device is out of date. You may have to upgrade your hardware to resolve this issue. Also, please contact Lenovo and see if they can provide any update for the audio device.

Besides, you can refer to the suggestions in this thread which worked in Windows Vista.

Regards,

Linda

Tuesday, November 10, 2009 3:06 AM

All replies

• Hi,
    Update your system first,and use soundMax drivers for windows vista.

mohanad
    Saturday, November 07, 2009 7:16 PM
  • I upgraded my IBM 8122-55U (now Lenovo) from XP Pro SP2 to Windows 7 Home Premium (64 bit), but lost my sound in the process.  I upgraded memory (4 gb) and graphics (Galaxy NVIDIA GeFroce GT 220) prior to the upgrade, and everything was working fine. 

I still have the original speakers that were running off the SoundMax Integrated Digital Audio driver.  I can't find any Windows 7 drivers for this.

I've done the Windows Update and the downloaded the driver from Lenovo again.  I even tried to run the driver setup in "compatiability mode" back to XP SP2with no success. 

I have noticed that after the install I also have a flagged device in Device Manager that is called "Mulimedia Audio Controller". Windows Search does not find a driver for that either.

I'm not a computer HW wiz, but I suspect that these two problems might be related. 

I'm not sure what to try next.  Any suggestions will be appreciated.  Hope I provided enough info.  I've never posted anything to a forum before. 

Thanks in advance.

The problem is you are trying to install 32-bit drivers on a 64-bit system and that just doesn't work.  You will need to do some serious research and find 64-bit drivers for your SoundMax sound chip.
    Sunday, November 08, 2009 1:00 PM
  • According to a thread in a Vistax64 forum; http://www.vistax64.com/sound-audio/248847-how-install-soundmax-ad1888-your-vista-64-bit.html , there are 64-bit drivers availabe from Dell: http://support.us.dell.com/support/downloads/download.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=gen&releaseid=R145149&formatcnt=1&libid=0&fileid=193393

Here is a copy of his process:

How to install SoundMax AD1888 on your Vista 64-bit

Finally, I found a sollution with Dell Driver.
    Note: this screenshots is from Windows 7, but in Vista, is same process to install driver.

Look, if you open your .inf file of SoundMax AD1888 x64 for XP, and search for "Ad1888": not found, but:

[Odm.AddReg]
    ;Apply for AD198x codecs. Ability to swap control and data.

And AD1888? ASUS not provide a especify driver for Sound Cards...

But, i found a driver in Dell site to 64-bit systems, Warns that Windows can not verify that the driver is compatible, I forced install driver!

Download: SoundMax AD1888 from Dell

Decompress R145149.exe with 7-zip (http://downloads.sourceforge.net/sevenzip/7z465-x64.msi), right click in .exe, Extract files... and place in desktop and name folder to SoundMax

1. Go to Star menu, and type device manager in search box;
    2. Click in "Device Manager", open Sound, video and game controllers, right click in driver, and click in UNINSTALL.
    3. Restart system...
    4. Go to Star menu, and type device manager in search box;
    5. Click in "Device Manager", open Sound, video and game controllers, right click in driver, and click in Update driver.
    6. Click in Browser in my computer and click in "Let me pick from a list..."
    7. Click in Sound, video and game controllers, if not show this, skip this step.
    8. Click in button HAVE A DISK, and click in Browser, go to folder SoundMax in desktop, and click in amd64, double-click in smwdmCH5.inf and press OK BUTTON.
    9. AD1888 have a 6-channel sound, click in second "SoundMax Integrated Digital Audio" item.

First item: 5 channel
    Second: 6 channel CHOOSE THIS FOR AD1888
    Third: 7 channel

10. Click in next and confirm if Windows warns incompatibility of driver!
    11. Restart PC.

To test your driver, go to start menu, type "sound" in search box, click in "Sound item".
    Click in first item and press button configure!
    Click in L or R and test sound!

Note: I'm listen music 2 hours ago and no BSODs!
    Sunday, November 08, 2009 9:27 PM
  • Hi BillBratt923,

It seems the integrated audio device is out of date. You may have to upgrade your hardware to resolve this issue. Also, please contact Lenovo and see if they can provide any update for the audio device.

Besides, you can refer to the suggestions in this thread which worked in Windows Vista.

Regards,

Linda

Tuesday, November 10, 2009 3:06 AM