none
What is causing low physical disk % idle time

Question

• Recently I observed that all my four hard disks installed in my XP Pro machine show a % idle time physical disk counter between 50-60% all the time, even when the PC is fully idle. I checked the processes running in the background and I can't find nothing causing this constant disk activity.

When I run XP in safe mode the counter is normal (average 99,60%). I also observed that in normal mode, when I connect a USB stick, the counter is normal (99,5%). After disconnecting the stick drops again to 50-60%.

How can I find what is causing this disk activity?

Thursday, January 10, 2013 2:25 PM

Answers

• Finally I figured what was going on. I'm using an ASUS P5Q3 mobo and there is "Intel C-State Tech" option under Advanced/CPU Configuration in the BIOS. When I set this to "Enabled" causes the issue (low physical disk % idle time). After disabling it, everything is back to normal (average % idle time physical disk counter 99,60%).
    • Marked as answer by parar1 Wednesday, February 05, 2014 1:22 PM
    Wednesday, February 05, 2014 1:22 PM

All replies

• If you are getting your information from the Windows Task Manager, that is not disk activity shown.  That is CPU activity.

So, where are you getting your information?

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”

Thursday, January 10, 2013 6:42 PM
  • I'm getting the information from perfmon.msc, not the Task Manager and the counter is "Physical Disk" -> "% idle time".

I also observed that the values of the S.M.A.R.T. attributes 241 & 242 (Total LBA Written & Total LBA Read respectively) from the two installed Seagate disks are growing constantly.

Thursday, January 10, 2013 9:37 PM
  • I'm getting the information from perfmon.msc, not the Task Manager and the counter is "Physical Disk" -> "% idle time".

I also observed that the values of the S.M.A.R.T. attributes 241 & 242 (Total LBA Written & Total LBA Read respectively) from the two installed Seagate disks are growing constantly.

Any one?
    Friday, January 11, 2013 10:21 PM
  • If you are getting your information from the Windows Task Manager, that is not disk activity shown.  That is CPU activity.

So, where are you getting your information?

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”

Dear Rick Dee, do you have any idea about my issue about % idle time (physical disk counter on perfmon)?
    Thursday, January 17, 2013 9:49 PM
  • Finally I figured what was going on. I'm using an ASUS P5Q3 mobo and there is "Intel C-State Tech" option under Advanced/CPU Configuration in the BIOS. When I set this to "Enabled" causes the issue (low physical disk % idle time). After disabling it, everything is back to normal (average % idle time physical disk counter 99,60%).
    • Marked as answer by parar1 Wednesday, February 05, 2014 1:22 PM
    Wednesday, February 05, 2014 1:22 PM