none
cmd prompt full screen in Windows 7

Question

• As we know, WDDM driver doesn't support INT 10 communicatations with VBIOS because of the unstability. So when WDDM driver is enabled, cmd prompt cannot be switched to full screen mode by pressing ALT+Enter.

reference: http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/system/platform/firmware/wddm_bios.mspx

But after you disable and re-enable your display driver in device manager, you can find that the command prompt CAN be switched to full screen mode. The problem is after you switch it back, the resolution is not the previous one, it still keeps the VGA mode.

So my question is, is this known issue to windows 7? Will it be fixed in Windows 8?

I may already know the root cause. If it is an known issue and you have a waiver, please advise a link.

Saturday, February 12, 2011 2:49 PM

Answers

• Hi Niki,

After enabling display driver, I didn't restart OS. If restart OS, this issue will not appear. But since WDDM driver is supposed to support PnP start/stop, user should continue use the windows without restarting OS. If OS need to be restarted to recognize the WDDM driver correctly, then such user experience will may no difference with XDDM driver.

One thing that I can tell is that, after disable display driver, OS should update Fullscreen Graphics Device to VGA display, so that VGA driver and VBIOS can take control of the mode set.

After enable display driver, OS should also update Fullscreen Graphics Device, there should have no VGA display because display driver will take control the mode change. But looks OS fails to do so, so the full screen switching is not blocked.

Colin

Ivellios Colin
    • Marked as answer by Izellios Friday, May 27, 2011 4:42 AM
    Thursday, February 17, 2011 11:02 AM

All replies

• Hi,

I have tested the issue. When I disabled and enable the display driver, the cmd can be switched to full screen. However, when I exited the CMD windows or backed to the original size, the display driver seemed to stop working.

Here is a workaround to enable cmd full screen.

http://www.walkernews.net/2009/11/22/enable-full-screen-command-prompt-window-persistently-in-windows-7/

Note: Since the website is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

In addition, would you please let me know the possible root cause of your issue? How about restarting the computer after enabling the display driver?

Best Regards,

Niki

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Tuesday, February 15, 2011 10:12 AM
  • Actually I thought the full screen switching is blocked is by design. But after disable/enable display driver, it cannot block the switching anymore, this is the real issue.

I got the root cause by reverse engineering, but I thought it is not good place to paste it here, especially in MSDN forum. I'll post it in other place.

Ivellios Colin
    Tuesday, February 15, 2011 2:38 PM
  • Hi Ivellios ,

Would you please let me know if you restarted the computer after enabling the display driver? It seemed the computer didn't recognize the WDDM driver correctly.

Meanwhile, I will forward this information to the appropriate department through our internal channel. Both the Microsoft Product Team and Development Team will take into consideration all suggestions and feedback for future releases.

Best Regards,

Niki

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Thursday, February 17, 2011 9:33 AM
  • Hi Niki,

After enabling display driver, I didn't restart OS. If restart OS, this issue will not appear. But since WDDM driver is supposed to support PnP start/stop, user should continue use the windows without restarting OS. If OS need to be restarted to recognize the WDDM driver correctly, then such user experience will may no difference with XDDM driver.

One thing that I can tell is that, after disable display driver, OS should update Fullscreen Graphics Device to VGA display, so that VGA driver and VBIOS can take control of the mode set.

After enable display driver, OS should also update Fullscreen Graphics Device, there should have no VGA display because display driver will take control the mode change. But looks OS fails to do so, so the full screen switching is not blocked.

Colin

Ivellios Colin
    • Marked as answer by Izellios Friday, May 27, 2011 4:42 AM
    Thursday, February 17, 2011 11:02 AM