none
BSOD 0x00000124 (0x0000000000000000, 0xfffffa8004c9d038, 0x00000000b2000040, 0x0000000000000800).

Question

• Help please, I get the above details from BSOD and the dump suggests it is hardware but please help which hardware.

asus p5q pro
    c2d e8500
    4gb corsair xms2 DHX
    ATi 4870
    Sony DRW 2014L1T DVD RW
    2 diff western digital sata drives.

BSOD can happen on install or seemingly randomly once installed.

Thanks
    Monday, June 15, 2009 11:33 AM

Answers

• After eliminating my overclock things seem to be ok after a 12 hour test. Torture testing in vista 64 revealed no instabillities however windows 7 bsod's?

Why would it be that 7 wont do the same oc that vista could handle?

Ill keep stressing to ensure its stable...
    • Edited by W7c2d Sunday, June 21, 2009 10:14 PM moar
    • Marked as answer by W7c2d Thursday, June 25, 2009 7:54 AM
    Sunday, June 21, 2009 10:04 PM

All replies

• Are you performing a clean install?

Are you using the Win 7 RC (build 7100) from Microsoft?

Are your BIOS settings set to default? (no overclocking or tweaks applied)

When the OS is running, have you tried Contol Panel>System and Security>Action Center? Any problems listed? If no run the troubleshooter for hardware. Find any problems?

Monday, June 15, 2009 12:09 PM
  • I am installing the 7100 rc which I downloaded from MS onto a freshly formatted drive.

My existing Vista 64 runs flawlessly on the current system which is on a different drive though.  I have also tested XP on both the drives that give me the above error and xp 32 runs perfectly fine too.

I have run the troubleshooter but they do not find anything.

BIOS however is different, I am running an overclocked c2duo at 3.9Ghz which is purfectly stable in vista 64 even tested under full Orthos load and stays well within the required thermal limits too (under 60c in fact).

I have my SATA set to IDE mode as I do not have a floppy or usb drive to install the drivers at install, could this be a problem?

Thanks for the quick reply.

Regards
    Monday, June 15, 2009 7:27 PM
  • OK.
    SATA in IDE mode would only be an issue if you have Turbo Memory installed. ACHI mode enables advanced features on the drive (ie.NCQ) if the drive has those. It may provide better performance and should only affect the hard drive.

Did you delete any partitions on the drive and create and format a new partiton? Win 7 RC seems to be particular about old MBR fragments.

I am sorry. Let me get this right. Win 7 RC is installed now and you are experiencing the random BSOD? Trouble shooter discovered no problems.

Are there any reports in the event viewer that would provide a clue to the culprit?

I am leaning towards video driver issues, but we need some further info before spending time there.

Also, I understand that the BIOS settings are stable for Vista and XP, but you may have to try the defaults with Win 7 RC and work your way up. Don't change that yet.

Another approach, if there are no clues, would be the clean boot approach using msconfig.exe. and gradually enable the devices.

This is much more difficult as it is intermittent. But, that is what RC's and testing are all about. Get ready for the Oct 22 release.

• Marked as answer by SaMcp1123 Tuesday, June 16, 2009 4:54 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by W7c2d Tuesday, June 16, 2009 10:56 PM
    Monday, June 15, 2009 8:24 PM
  • I just found this thread with an explanation link/answer from Adam MCP that points to the overclocked CPU. Same motherboard and random BSOD.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itprohardware/thread/23016f3d-d27d-4690-bd64-cc66cedc2600/
    • Proposed as answer by Nano Warp Tuesday, June 23, 2009 3:32 PM
    Monday, June 15, 2009 8:33 PM
  • BSOD has happened on one drive after installation and another during the setup process, the debugger said Probably Caused by: Hardware when examining the dump file. That link above says the error is in Kernel... something

I did fully format the Harddrive before hand but maybe it doesnt like having 2 partitions? I think I made the 2nd partion after installing the rc.

What I will do next is try it with the system non overclocked then consider what to do after that probably reinstall on a non partitioned hd.

Thanks so much for all your help and your prompt responses
    Tuesday, June 16, 2009 6:12 AM
  • any more help out there?
    Thursday, June 18, 2009 11:11 AM
  • I am now thinking we skipped verifying a couple of things.
    1. Download the Western Digital Tools for Dos here(makes) a bootable CD and run a quick test only.
    2. If you have a bootable disk utility, use it to delete all of the partitions on the target drive for Win 7. If not, use  the WD and write zeros to the drive. Go watch a long movie when you start it.
    3. Burn another install DVD from the .iso file for Win 7 RC. Use a slow burn rate and verify after writing.

Old MBR's or fragments of the boot records seem to issues with Win 7.  A driver that had an OS on it before could be problematic.
    A corrupt DVD file could cause these issues also.

Hey, it's a testing phase, give it a try. I don't think there's anything wrong with the hardware, it's all new stuff. The over-clock issue still concerns me. But, be sure the basics are covered first.

Good Luck!

Friday, June 19, 2009 2:41 AM
  • W7c2d

Check these other threads on this issue.

0x124 - TechNet Windows 7 Forums Search

Hope this helps.

Thank You for testing Windows 7

Ronnie Vernon MVP

Friday, June 19, 2009 6:47 AM
  • Hi, not sure if it helps or not, but I had exactly the same issue installing the latest RC with those same errors.  What it turned out to be was actually a corrupt ISO burn on the DVD disc I was using - ironically it was burned using the ISO burner in the previous installation of Win7 ;-)

On the off-chance, I reburned the ISO image using another machine (a Mac, but this is not about format wars, just incidental) and was able to install fine using the new disc.  Might be worth checking.

LINC
    Friday, June 19, 2009 8:01 AM
  • After eliminating my overclock things seem to be ok after a 12 hour test. Torture testing in vista 64 revealed no instabillities however windows 7 bsod's?

Why would it be that 7 wont do the same oc that vista could handle?

Ill keep stressing to ensure its stable...
    • Edited by W7c2d Sunday, June 21, 2009 10:14 PM moar
    • Marked as answer by W7c2d Thursday, June 25, 2009 7:54 AM
    Sunday, June 21, 2009 10:04 PM
  • That's great! I would speculate that the ASUS motherboard drivers that allow tweaking in Vista won't play nice with Win 7. Win 7 is different. Not a Vista mod. 

read this from my June 15, 2009 answer above here.

Hopefully, ASUS will develop Win 7 motherboard driver/chipset updates for Win 7.

Report back and check which answer helped so that it may help others. 
    Tuesday, June 23, 2009 3:28 PM