none
Windows XP freezes and becomes unresponsive EVERY 30-35 MINS

Question

• my computer screen freezes and becomes unresponsive EVERY 30-35 MINS. then I try to restart the computer and it goes through the motions but ends up with a blank screen and a couple of minutes later continues in the restart mode again and does the same thing. this will continue forever. So I turn off the CPU and sometimes I unplug it and start again and it start up fine but again will only last a max of 35 mins. I am using Windows XP..please help me

• Moved by kariya21 Tuesday, June 29, 2010 4:27 AM not a Windows Home Server question (From:Windows Home Server Software)
    Tuesday, June 29, 2010 3:52 AM

All replies

•  On 6/28/2010 10:52 PM, kldcda wrote:

my computer screen freezes and becomes unresponsive EVERY 30-35 MINS. then I try to restart the computer and it goes through the motions but ends up with a blank screen and a couple of minutes later continues in the restart mode again and does the same thing. this will continue forever. So I turn off the CPU and sometimes I unplug it and start again and it start up fine but again will only last a max of 35 mins. I am using Windows XP..please help me

Hello kidcda,

Unfortunately this is the forum for Windows Home Server, not Windows XP.  You may want to post your question in their forum, which can be found at http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/category/windowsxp One question that they will ask is if this happens when you go into Safe Mode.  To do that, when your computer restarts and you see the Splash Screen (Possibly saying something about Dell or HP or whatever the manufacturer is), start tapping the F8 Key until you get a menu.  Then use the arrow keys to choose Safe Mode.  When it boots up completely (which may take a little longer), see if it continues to do this.

Hope this helps, and have a great day:)
    Patrick.

Smile... Someone out there cares deeply for you.
    Have you updated today?
    http://update.microsoft.com

Smile.. Someone out there cares deeply for you.
    Tuesday, June 29, 2010 5:45 AM
  • Sounds like something went bad. Maybe your memory failed, or you are just running too many tasks at once.

Either way, yes, start up your computer in safe mode, (Hit f8 during the splash screen and use your arrow keys to select "Start windows in Safemode" Let us know if this problem persists. IN ADDITION, I suggest running an antivirus/spyware/malware program to see if you have any little pesky viruses in your system. ALSO I would do a chkdsk, just in case, you never know.

Once you get into Windows, go to Start>My computer> Right click the C: drive>Select "properties"> Click the "Tools" tab> and then click on the "Check now" box, and once the window pops up, check BOTH of the little boxes and then click start, and wait and see. Tell us your findings.

Young, and learning...Have mercy.
    Thursday, July 01, 2010 3:33 PM