Windows 8.1 skydrive setup without signing onto PC with windows account

Question

• Hi,

Just upgraded from Windows 8 to 8.1.  I log into my PC using a local account and I previously had skydrive setup using my Microsoft account. All worked great.  With Win 8.1 I cant seem to log into my PC with local account and sync skydrive with my Microsoft account.  How do I do this in Windows 8.1?

This is so annoying. Please help.

Thanks,

Dom

Wednesday, September 11, 2013 10:18 AM

Answers

All replies

• Have you tried to download the SkyDrive desktop app and install it?

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/skydrive/download

Maybe, you can get a more detailed information about the problem.

Wednesday, September 11, 2013 10:36 AM
  • I tried that and it runs and says "Preparing sky drive for first use" and then closes. Nothing further is displayed or installed.

From various search's it sounds like the Metro SkyDrive is the only version that will run on Win 8.1. However I don't want to log onto my PC using my Windows account. I want to use local account.

Wednesday, September 11, 2013 11:58 AM
  • I tried that and it runs and says "Preparing sky drive for first use" and then closes. Nothing further is displayed or installed.

From various search's it sounds like the Metro SkyDrive is the only version that will run on Win 8.1. However I don't want to log onto my PC using my Windows account. I want to use local account.

Hi,

Please be aware that, in Windows 8.1, skydrive is more deeply integrated in Windows. Browsing your SkyDrive in Windows 8.1 or Windows RT 8.1 is only available if you sign in with a Microsoft account.

Hope following articles can make this clear:

How to Make SkyDrive Files and Folders Available Offline or Online-only in Windows 8.1

http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/28148-skydrive-available-offline-online-windows-8-1-a.html

Hands-On with Windows 8.1: SkyDrive Integration

http://winsupersite.com/windows-8/hands-windows-81-skydrive-integration

Thanks for understanding.

Kate Li

TechNet Community Support

Friday, September 13, 2013 2:25 AM
  • Dropbox works fine with local account :-)) on Windows 8.1 RTM
    Monday, September 16, 2013 9:32 PM
  • Why is Microsoft forcing us to login with a Microsoft account to use SkyDrive?  Seems like a huge step backwards.  You took a great product and destroyed it with this move.
    Tuesday, September 17, 2013 6:25 AM
  • Hi,

Since cloud will be the further, to better sync files and setting on account-based, Microsoft designed Windows to be able to logon by using Microsoft account.

However, you feedback is very important to help improve this product in the future release. Please help to submit feedback in Mail app and tell us what you would like:

1. Open SkyDrive app, swipe to the right corner of the screen.
    2. Click Settings icon, and choose feedback.
    3. Choose What you want and write down some comments.

Thanks for your understanding.

Kate Li

TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, September 18, 2013 12:04 PM
  • We use Windows in a Domain.  WE can not logon to Windows using a Microsoft account.  Are we suppose to ditch SkyDrive for DropBox or another platform?  Just can't understand why you would remove a feature to allow you to login to the app.
    Thursday, September 19, 2013 4:51 AM
  • Same procedure here: the problem that Skydrive can only be used in Windows 8.1 with a Microsoft account login and not with a local account is a big issue. It must be possible to use Skydrive with local login accounts or domain login accounts. Skydrive have to be configured indepently from the used login account.

I am confused how to use Windows Login within a Domain and the use of individual Skydrive accounts...? How is this solved and are the future plans of Microsoft? Hope this will be changed soon.

Wednesday, October 02, 2013 11:18 AM
  • There's a third party tool that gets the job done called SyncDriver.  Apparently I can't make a link, but you can google it.  
    Saturday, October 05, 2013 1:47 PM
  • I don't want to use my microsoft account to log into my PC. 

Please add the ability to link my existing local account to a microsoft account for the microsoft services i like to use. 

I do not want to rely on a cloud account  to log into my pc. 

Or at the very least give the skydrive app back to users of 8.1.

Sunday, October 06, 2013 9:02 PM
  • You could just map your Skydrive as a network drive.

To do so, you will need your Skydrive's URL (Google how to find it).

Sunday, October 06, 2013 11:54 PM
  • I may have to convert to Dropbox!!
    Tuesday, October 08, 2013 3:52 PM
  • Hey, mapping as a drive works nicely. Thanks
    Tuesday, October 08, 2013 4:05 PM
  • Hey, cool. The SyncDriver tool is free and it works fine. You can even sync folders outside the root folder with the link a folder option. It works on Win 8.1 and any other windows version. Thanks a lot to mexter1.
    Wednesday, October 09, 2013 8:52 PM