none
Cannot upgrade from Window 8 Pro [with Media Center] to Windows 8.1 Pro

Question

• Since Windows Store opened up for the update to Windows 8.1 from Windows 8 I have tried to update it but in vain. I have Windows Eight Pro with Media Center. I downloaded the 3.4 GB from the Windows store. But the installation gives errors. The first time the error was 0x8007139f. However I temporarily dismantled my Bit Defender Anti Virus & Fire wall. Then it started giving me 0xc190010b errors. Windows was up to date but in the optional updates I found an update for my Nvidia Video Card I updated that and a few other optional Window 8 up dates. That error went away but error 0x80004005 has cropped up and n spite of my best efforts it does not go away either with the Bit Defender anti virus and the firewall switched off or switched on. I do not know how to delete the downloaded installation files of Windows 8.1 from my computer also perhaps they may be causing problems. Perhaps if I downloaded afresh that error may not occur. If not then how to remove this error so that I can get the benefit of Windows 8.1
    Thursday, October 17, 2013 11:20 PM

Answers

• HI,

Before upgrading to Win 8.1, I suggest you first download and run the Upgrade Assistant  which can scan items in your PC and tell you if your PC and connected devices are ready for Windows 8.1.

Then I suggest you try solutions below:

Check the Cbs log in C\Windows\Logs.

Perform upgrade in Clean boot mode.

Please refer to:

How to perform a clean boot to troubleshoot a problem in Windows 8, Windows 7, or Windows Vista

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

Rename the SoftwareDistribution folder

Detailed steps, please refer to:

Troubleshooting Update Issues

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff823818.aspx

Regards,

Yolanda

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time.
    Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

• Marked as answer by nebula725 Tuesday, October 22, 2013 6:38 AM
    Friday, October 18, 2013 8:48 AM
  • Since it is a multi-boot PC what I did was to  take off the cables off the HDD supporting other Windows & then only was at the end able to upgrade to Windows 8.1 Pro with Media Center. I then put the cables back on and again it became a multi-booted Windows. I would not advise any layman to have multi boot Windows because at times it causes complications. Keep things simple and straight. One reason is that I have spent considerable money on buying these software & they were not as cheap as Windows 8 which heralded with a heavy discount and second reason is that some software do not run on Windows 8 or even 7. I saw that laptops were more ready to upgrade to Windows 8.1 Pro then their counter parts there is a reason for that laptops are generally far simpler than desktops in terms of hardware and software. At present  I am writing this from Windows Seven from the same PC this is on an Intel 3500 SDD 240 GB. The Intel 520 SSD in question is a 240 GB on which Windows 8 now 8.1 is based on in this PC. I do not know why the internet is not working properly on Windows 8.1 Pro after I put back the cables on the other HDD to make it again a multi boot PC. I could not assess Yahoo Mail & this website neither from Internet Explorer,  Google Chrome & Mozilla Firefox but strangely managed to access Adaptec for the SCSI driver for the 39320 Card. Anyhow at least I have Windows 8.1 Pro  with multi-media after a really hectic three or four days spell downloading at least four times and trying out the upgrade at least 12 times.

Monday, October 21, 2013 8:22 PM

All replies

• Same issue. Running disk cleanup will delete the 8.1 Download but that doesn't work either. Might just reinstall without media center because I know that will work ...
    Thursday, October 17, 2013 11:49 PM
  • Running disk clean up did delete the 8.1 Download. Trying to download it again but taking a lot of time because the Window store seems to have a lot of traffic & so the download speed is less. It would be better if the update is installed with the media center after all I have paid for it. In any case how do you uninstall the media center & can you reinstall the media center after the 8.1 update? It would be better if the update occurs with the media center what is Microsoft doing about it?
    Friday, October 18, 2013 4:37 AM
  • Download completed but the reinstallation again gives the error 0x80004005  any MVP comments ?
    Friday, October 18, 2013 5:10 AM
  • HI,

Before upgrading to Win 8.1, I suggest you first download and run the Upgrade Assistant  which can scan items in your PC and tell you if your PC and connected devices are ready for Windows 8.1.

Then I suggest you try solutions below:

Check the Cbs log in C\Windows\Logs.

Perform upgrade in Clean boot mode.

Please refer to:

How to perform a clean boot to troubleshoot a problem in Windows 8, Windows 7, or Windows Vista

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

Rename the SoftwareDistribution folder

Detailed steps, please refer to:

Troubleshooting Update Issues

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff823818.aspx

Regards,

Yolanda

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time.

Friday, October 18, 2013 8:48 AM
  • I try to check Cbs log in C\Windows\Logs I get Access Denied.

Tried to perform a clean boot but when I hide Microsoft Services and disable some services as suggested the installation of Windows update 8.1 ceases. I also restored Internet Explorer to its default settings as suggested but still get the error.

Friday, October 18, 2013 11:55 AM
  • Due to the initial discounted price I have two other PCS with Windows 8 Pro with Media Center. I was able to upgrade one of them to Windows 8.1 Pro with Media Center so upgrading Windows 8 Pro with Media Center to Windows 8.1 Pro with Media Center does work. But that particular relatively had very few soft wares & programs installed as compared to this computer. This computer happens to be the main computer it is necessary that it should be upgraded to 8.1 with Media Center. I might start looking to uninstalling some programs & software for that.
    Friday, October 18, 2013 1:47 PM
  • I upgraded to 8.1 last night, from 8 with Media Center, and had no issues. The only "issue" is that when the update finished downloading, checking and preparing, it gave me a heads up that it's gonna restart the pc in 15 minutes. Also, i received a warning that it's going to restart in 5 minutes. I hit cancel both of the times. After the specified time, the computer restarted by itself. That's not cool at all.

Try updating your Windows before you upgrade to 8.1, disable your antivirus, antimalware, firewall, etc. Also cmd>chkdsk /f. Delete Temp, and be sure to have at least 15 gig of hard disk space available.

Friday, October 18, 2013 2:43 PM
  • 15GB may not be enough. The Windows 8.1 update requires 3.6GB + the total amount of space these folders take up:

- c:\perflogs
    - c:\program files (including x86 if using a 64bit OS)
    - c:\users
    - c:\windows

Windows 8.1 will attempt to back up these folders into c:\windows.old and your update can fail if you do not have enough free disk space available to perform the upgrade.

Friday, October 18, 2013 3:11 PM
  • I also reset Internet Explorer Settings however somehow the google tool bar became mal functional although it was present in the Search Engine in the Add on. so with this mal function and with the persistent error of 0x80004005 while upgrading to Windows 8.1 led me to restore Windows from a previous recent image. That restored the Google tool bar back but the Windows update error persisted. I of course had to again reinstall Window 8 updates and redownload the Windows 8.1 files the third time. This led to a rigmarole of the familiar errors first 0x8007139f then 0xc190010b and then finally the persistent and chromic error 0x80004005. I did manage finally a sort of clean boot after rereading the Microsoft article but again the same error 0x80004005. A clean boot or a normal boot or a selective boot does not make any difference so I reverted the system back to normal boot  A clean boot also deactivates the anti virus and many other functions so anti virus off or anti virus on it makes no difference to the end result there is something else. On the computer which the update to 8.1 did succeed the anti virus was on. am hesitant to rename the Software Distribution folder on my PC because Windows 8 dates are being downloaded.
    Saturday, October 19, 2013 11:57 AM
  • This computer on which the update does not succeed to Windows 8.1 the windows 8 is on an Intel SSD 520 hard drive. The PC on which the update succeeded was on a WD Black Caviar HDD. I do not think the hardware should make any difference. The third PC again the Windows 8 is on a Intel 520 SSD which I have not tried the upgrade as yet.
    Saturday, October 19, 2013 12:03 PM
  • Managed to check the Cbs log in C/Windows/Logs. Before it was access denied perhaps restoring Windows from an earlier image made the access. It is some 171 MB big. I tried to upload it to Sky Drive but it was taking too long as upload to Sky Drive generally is very slow. So I opened an account in Drop Box and it took only a few minutes to upload it the name of the file is CbsPersist_20131019013737.log and the link is https://www.dropbox.com/s/zrfruj77ycubkwk/CbsPersist_20131019013737.log

Now some MVP may be able to guide me what went wrong & may be suggest a solution a remedy. The TrustedInstaller signaled for auto stop but why?

Saturday, October 19, 2013 5:42 PM
  • From the internet the upgrade to 8.1 for Windows 8 RT users has been temporarily taken off from the Windows Store due to Installation issues maybe Microsoft has not done its homework properly with Windows 8 Pro as well.
    Saturday, October 19, 2013 7:37 PM
  • The actual Cbs log which was mentioned by Yolanda & which access was denied. I managed to changed the permissions and so was able to access it. This PC is in a domain  I am now sending the link

https://www.dropbox.com/s/nk3gjihnoqg7cuo/CBS.log

May be Yolanda  & others may have a look and find out what went wrong and suggest solution/remedy for upgrade to Windows 8.1

By the way another computer of mine with a similar Intel 520 SSD which had Windows Eight Pro with Media Center has been up graded to Windows 8.1 Pro with Media Center. So two PCs out of my 3 computers which had Windows 8 Pro with Media Center have been upgraded it is only this PC with the most profligate software & programs which is not being up graded

Sunday, October 20, 2013 8:48 AM
  • Hi,

After analyzing the cbs log, I found that the fail due to this error: Failed to open package file: [HRESULT = 0x80070002 - ERROR_FILE_NOT_FOUND].

The package files are related to many KBs prompted in the log, such as KB: 2737084, KB 2742614, kb 2742616, KB 2753842, etc, which means that so many KBs were not found  for the upgrade process, thus I suggest you keep your PC to the latest update before upgrading to win8.1.

If you’re sure that the computer is up-to-date, Please check these updates in windows update, see if there are

Abnormal phenomena with these updates.

For the error code 0x80070002, I’d like to share the following article with you:

You receive a "0x80070002" or "0x80070003" error code after you download an update from Windows Update, from Microsoft Update, or from Windows Server Update Services

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/910336

Monday, October 21, 2013 10:46 AM
  • I am sure that the computer is updated. I did go to the kb/910336 but that fixit was not relevent to this operating system but did lead me to a link. I applied that but I still get the same error 0x80004005. Pretty frustrating
    Monday, October 21, 2013 12:39 PM
  • Intel 520 is a series. There are multiple disk sizes available in that series. Which one do you have?
    Monday, October 21, 2013 4:16 PM
  • Since it is a multi-boot PC what I did was to  take off the cables off the HDD supporting other Windows & then only was at the end able to upgrade to Windows 8.1 Pro with Media Center. I then put the cables back on and again it became a multi-booted Windows. I would not advise any layman to have multi boot Windows because at times it causes complications. Keep things simple and straight. One reason is that I have spent considerable money on buying these software & they were not as cheap as Windows 8 which heralded with a heavy discount and second reason is that some software do not run on Windows 8 or even 7. I saw that laptops were more ready to upgrade to Windows 8.1 Pro then their counter parts there is a reason for that laptops are generally far simpler than desktops in terms of hardware and software. At present  I am writing this from Windows Seven from the same PC this is on an Intel 3500 SDD 240 GB. The Intel 520 SSD in question is a 240 GB on which Windows 8 now 8.1 is based on in this PC. I do not know why the internet is not working properly on Windows 8.1 Pro after I put back the cables on the other HDD to make it again a multi boot PC. I could not assess Yahoo Mail & this website neither from Internet Explorer,  Google Chrome & Mozilla Firefox but strangely managed to access Adaptec for the SCSI driver for the 39320 Card. Anyhow at least I have Windows 8.1 Pro  with multi-media after a really hectic three or four days spell downloading at least four times and trying out the upgrade at least 12 times.

Monday, October 21, 2013 8:22 PM
  • Tal Amanda my be having a desk top like me perhaps that was the reason it did not upgrade.
    Monday, October 21, 2013 8:27 PM
  • I learned how to clean boot from this answer of v-yozhu
    Tuesday, October 22, 2013 6:37 AM