none
Total Physical vs. Available Physical Memory

Question

• I have this situation where I have tried installing 8 gigs of physical memory (4 2-gig chips), and even though my BIOS is recognizing the memory, Vista (x64) does not.   I am not sure if there are additional settings required, or would I need to re-install Vista with the new 8 gigs installed?  You would aspect that when you run the MS System Info - you would see the Total Physical Memory to be 8 gigs, but even when I run MS System Info with my 4 gigs installed, I still do not see that the Physical memory equal to 4 gigs.   

System Summary:

OS Name Microsoft® Windows Vista™ Ultimate

Version 6.0.6000 Build 6000

Other OS Description Not Available

OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation

System Name MASTERMACHINE

System Manufacturer INTEL_

System Model D975XBX_

System Type x64-based PC

Processor Intel(R) Core(TM)2 CPU 6700 @ 2.66GHz, 2660 Mhz, 1 Core(s), 1 Logical Processor(s)

BIOS Version/Date Intel Corp. BX97510J.86A.1487.2007.0902.1724, 9/2/2007

SMBIOS Version 2.3

Windows Directory C:\Windows

System Directory C:\Windows\system32

Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1

Locale United States

Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "6.0.6000.16407"

User Name MasterMachine\Larry

Time Zone Pacific Standard Time

With 4 GIGS installed:

Total Physical Memory 3,324.73 MB

Available Physical Memory 1.79 GB

Total Virtual Memory 12.88 GB

Available Virtual Memory 11.35 GB

Page File Space 9.74 GB

Page File C:\pagefile.sys

With 8 GIGS installed:

Total Physical Memory 3,324.82 MB

Available Physical Memory 1.63 GB

Total Virtual Memory 12.88 GB

Available Virtual Memory 11.10 GB

Page File Space 9.74 GB

Page File C:\pagefile.sys

Comparing both configurations the total Physical and Available memory just doesn't seem right? 

Thoughts?

Sunday, December 02, 2007 4:02 PM

Answers

• Hi,

You may need to open the memory remap feature in your motherboard BIOS settings. The following article may helpful, for your reference:

The system memory that is reported in the System Information dialog box in Windows Vista is less than you expect if 4 GB of RAM is installed
    http://support.microsoft.com/?id=929605

I hope it helps.
    -----------------------------
    Sincerely,
    Guozhen Wang
    Microsoft Online Community Support

Tuesday, December 04, 2007 10:06 AM

All replies

• Hi,

You may need to open the memory remap feature in your motherboard BIOS settings. The following article may helpful, for your reference:

The system memory that is reported in the System Information dialog box in Windows Vista is less than you expect if 4 GB of RAM is installed
    http://support.microsoft.com/?id=929605

I hope it helps.
    Sincerely,
    Guozhen Wang

Tuesday, December 04, 2007 10:06 AM
  • Thank you - this was very helpful.   In talking with Intel about memory remapping, they told me that I would need to talk with Microsoft. However, they were able to provide some insight - which was that I would probably need to re-install Vista.   Before install Vista with 2 gigs max, then after the installation is completed, then install the entired 8 gigs and everything should appear correctly.   

So, now I need to figure out how to reinstall Vista, without having to reinstall my all my application.  It appears that the journey has only began....

Thanks again for your input.

Bearwire

Thursday, December 06, 2007 7:45 AM
  • Hi Bearwire,

Thanks for your information.

Personally, I would suggest that to double confirm with your motherboard vendor about your motherboard support memory remap or not. If yes, please open memory remap feature as a test before reinstall OS. Also, I strongly recommend to perform a full backup before any changes.

And as the new report issue you mentioned is different from the one discussed in this current thread (which is a memory issue), we'd recommend that you start up a new thread for it. We generally focus on one topic in one thread because in this way it will be better for other community members to participate in the discussion, and to search/find specific answers more efficiently in the future.

I hope it helps.
    Sincerely,
    Guozhen Wang

Friday, December 07, 2007 8:00 AM