none
Program Files (x86)?

Question

• I have Windows 7 Ultimate and I'm on a 32bit OS ... there are some items that are the exact same installed on the regular program files as well as the x86 one. Can I delete the x86 folder? The items in there aren't even listed on my "Uninstall A Program" from the control panel. Is it safe to delete the x86 program files folder?

And if I can delete the folder, how do I? Something about needing a trustedInstaller

Thanks for your help!

Wednesday, June 23, 2010 3:54 PM

Answers

• I have Windows 7 Ultimate and I'm on a 32bit OS ... there are some items that are the exact same installed on the regular program files as well as the x86 one. Can I delete the x86 folder? The items in there aren't even listed on my "Uninstall A Program" from the control panel. Is it safe to delete the x86 program files folder?

And if I can delete the folder, how do I? Something about needing a trustedInstaller

Thanks for your help!

X86 is 32bit. It's just another screwed up scam of a way to make people think they got more when they did not.

That x86 folder is your 32bit program files. Do not ever delete a Program Files folder. It will destroy your system.

x86=32bit

x64=64bit

You can read about it online.

Thursday, June 24, 2010 12:03 AM
  • Hi,

I would like to suggest you run MSINFO32 and check the System Type is x86-based PC or x64-based PC?

Program Files (x86) only created for x64-based PC. The 32-bit programs will be installed in Program Files (x86) of the x64-based PC and the 64-bit programs will be installed in Program Files of the x64-based PC.

Regards,

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Thursday, June 24, 2010 5:23 AM

All replies

• Are you sure, that you use 32Bit Version. The folder should only exist on a 64Bit Windows. Which files are stored inside?

"A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code" CLIP- Stellvertreter http://www.winvistaside.de/
    Wednesday, June 23, 2010 11:51 PM

Thanks for your help!

X86 is 32bit. It's just another screwed up scam of a way to make people think they got more when they did not.

That x86 folder is your 32bit program files. Do not ever delete a Program Files folder. It will destroy your system.

x86=32bit

x64=64bit

You can read about it online.

Thursday, June 24, 2010 12:03 AM
  • Hi,

I would like to suggest you run MSINFO32 and check the System Type is x86-based PC or x64-based PC?

Program Files (x86) only created for x64-based PC. The 32-bit programs will be installed in Program Files (x86) of the x64-based PC and the 64-bit programs will be installed in Program Files of the x64-based PC.

Regards,

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Thursday, June 24, 2010 5:23 AM