none
Windows 7 Printers and Devices Disappearing

Question

• Hello,

We have a Windows 7 PC which seems to have a very strange issue with regards to Printers and Devices.

Randomly (not on reboot) the Printers and Devices all disappear. When I restart the Print Spooler, all devices come back, however without the icons! Just the text. They do work at this point, but I thought it was a bit strange that when they re appear but without the icons! Please note; when I go into Services to restart the Print Spooler, it is not stopped! It says it is started, however its when I restart it, the devices re appear.

I have tried various things, including most if not all of the thing a search displayed.

I read somewhere that Office 2007 can cause a problem, so I printed from all office products and sure enough, the printers etc disappeared. However, I then restarted the spooler, printed from all office products again... but the printers stayed there and did not disappear.

I have not tried anything with drivers, as the printer is on the server and more windows xp clients will be affected if I start messing around with print drivers on the server. I dont think this has anything to do with the printer or the print driver, as all the deviced in this window disappear, including mouse, keyboard, XPS, and PDF Printer.

Has anyone seen this before?

Tuesday, December 15, 2009 12:12 PM

Answers

• I have just run into this problem today.  I saw that I had a pending print job, but no printers.  When I clicked on the print job in the system tray, It indicated that the spooler service was not running.  I typed "services" in the "search programs and files" field on the start button and it opened the services manager.  I went to services (local) and started the print spooler service.  This seems to have resolved the symptom, but I'm not sure why the spooler was stopped to begin with.  Hope this helps you.  I will post again if I find anything else that could have caused this.

UPDATE: ok, this printed what was in the que, but after the print job, the service stopped again.  more as i have it.
    Tuesday, December 15, 2009 5:10 PM