none
Confirgure multiple bootable partitions on a flash drive

Question

• Hello all,

I am not sure if this is the right place to post it, but maybe you can get me to the right place.  I finally got the MDOP and want to have a DaRT bootable partition and my Imaging partition on the same 32GB flash drive.  I am stuck after I created a primary partition on the flash drive that takes up only 20GB of space for the imaging part, leaving about 9.75 for the DaRT partition.  I can't create an extended partition or any logical drives.

Help me diskpart gurus, you're my only hope!  As always, any and all assistance is appreciated!

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Wednesday, January 30, 2013 8:08 PM

Answers

• Hi,

I think we cannot do this, windows 7 doesn’t support to configure a USB drive as a dual boot device natively, there is no command or built-in tool to achieve this goal, but there would be some third-party tools could meet your request.

If you have any feedback on our support, please click here

Alex Zhao
    TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by Obujuwami Friday, February 15, 2013 7:20 PM
    Tuesday, February 05, 2013 3:45 AM

All replies

• Never tried these utilites on a USB but they are worth a try.

Partition Wizard Home Edition:
    http://www.partitionwizard.com/free-partition-manager.html
    Note: There is also a bootable CD or bootable Flash drive versions:
    CD: http://www.partitionwizard.com/partition-wizard-bootable-cd.html
    Flash Drive: http://www.partitionwizard.com/bootable-flash-drive.html
    Some of the features and Functions include: Create partition, Delete partition, Format partition,
    Resizing a partition, Move partitions, Restore Partition after accidental deletion,
    Convert partition, Explore partition, Hide partition,
    Change drive letter, Set active partition, partition explorer (View contents).
    Note: To complete any task use the 'Pending Operations' box located in the lower or top left.

Alternative to Partition Wizard (Somewhat easier to use but both Partition Wizard and EASEUS have nearly identical user interfaces)
    EASEUS Partition Master Home Edition (Free):
    http://www.partition-tool.com/personal.htm
    ALL-IN-ONE partition software and the most convenient hard disk partition manager toolkit
    Includes Partition Manager, Disk & Partition Copy Wizard and Partition Recovery Wizard on MBR and GUID partition table (GPT) disk under Windows 2000/XP/Vista/Windows 7 and Windows Server 2000/2003/2008 (32 bit and 64 bit).
    It allows users to Resize/Move Partition, Extend System Drive, Copy Disk & Partition, Merge Partition, Split Partition, Redistribute Free Space, Convert Dynamic Disk, Convert GPT Disk to MBR, Partition Recovery and much more.

J W Stuart: http://www.pagestart.com

Never be afraid to ask. This forum has some of the best people in the world available to help.

Thursday, January 31, 2013 2:42 AM
  • Hi,

Based on my knowledge, there is no command to create a multiple bootable USB drive, some third party program could be a good choice, you can search from the Internet to find one.

Alex Zhao

Thursday, January 31, 2013 5:58 AM
  • From what I have read, it has something to do with making the computer see the flash drive as a static disk, not a removable device.  Just can't find HOW to do that.

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Thursday, January 31, 2013 3:29 PM
  • Hi,

Based on my understanding, the connection type depends on the connection port, when you use the USB port to connect your flash drive, it would be detected as removable drive. Maybe you can get a tool from the device manufacture to make it act like a fixed drive.

Alex Zhao

Monday, February 04, 2013 6:07 AM
  • Hmm...maybe I should change my question.  I am working with DaRT (Diagnostic and Recovery Toolkit) and have followed the steps to create a USB flash drive.  I previously had a WinPE build for imaging on this drive and I want to make it so that I have a choice when I boot the drive.  Aside from the partition magic option, is there a way to have the option of which to boot to from a USB flash drive?

Monday, February 04, 2013 4:14 PM
  • Hi,

I think we cannot do this, windows 7 doesn’t support to configure a USB drive as a dual boot device natively, there is no command or built-in tool to achieve this goal, but there would be some third-party tools could meet your request.

Alex Zhao

• Marked as answer by Obujuwami Friday, February 15, 2013 7:20 PM
    Tuesday, February 05, 2013 3:45 AM
  • I managed to get this to work with an external HDD...not my preferred solution, but it works.

Friday, February 15, 2013 7:19 PM