none
Win7 RC - hibernation/update - files missing

Question

• I have Win7RC on IBM Thinkpad T61 laptop ( ok, lenovo ).

I normaly hibernate it since it works very well ( much better then XP ) and it is quick.
    Today foolishly i decided to shut it down. No idea why :(

Upon next boot, i can login, then after 2-3 minutes computer hangs. Outlook shows errors with data files, i notice that whole directory c:\_data in which i keep ALL much stuff is missing. Whole thing :(

Interesting thing about hangups is that i can't pull up task manager ( shows up without processes ) however i can log off and log on again without restarting....
    Normally drive failure affect OS too so i start tickering. Recovery back before critical update from 21.12.2009 gives me some of the data back - but it seems that only folders remainng are those that had .exe and .js files in them. Hangups disappear too.
    Checkdisk shows everything ok, defrag too.

Gonna restore previous point now.... is this known bug to anyone ? I'm missing LOTS of data...
    Wednesday, December 23, 2009 12:18 PM

Answers

• got it figured out. looks like my antivirus problem felt obliged to copy all my stuff to it's "locker".  it was all in $AVG8.vault$ folder... why it would put there all my ost xls txt and php files and leave all exe's and js's for use - no idea.

Thanks for help.
    Friday, December 25, 2009 10:36 AM

All replies

• You issue can be caused by many factors, such as your hard disk is not statible or the RC is not statilbe, or else, your computer was shut down abnormally while using it. If you have data lose, you should run some recovery tool to recover them, since the system restore can help you recover all your file, it just can recover some system files and exe file. It's better to run the HD tune to check if there are bac sectors in the hard drive.

As your windwos 7 is a RC version, it will be expired on June 1, 2010. Starting on March 1, 2010, your PC will begin shutting down every two hours. Windows will notify you two weeks before the bi-hourly shutdowns start. To avoid interruption, you'll need to install a non-expired version of Windows before March 1, 2010. In my opinion, it's better to obtain a final version as soon as possible.

I hope this can help you.

John
    Thursday, December 24, 2009 10:09 AM
  • got it figured out. looks like my antivirus problem felt obliged to copy all my stuff to it's "locker".  it was all in $AVG8.vault$ folder... why it would put there all my ost xls txt and php files and leave all exe's and js's for use - no idea.

Thanks for help.
    Friday, December 25, 2009 10:36 AM
  • I am glad to hear you have found the files in your files in your AVG protected folder. As the RC version is a test version, the AVG anti-virus program may think they are infected with virus, so move them to it's sub folder. To make your comptuer works more better, it's better to move them to your personal folder first, then install the Windows 7 RTM.

Good luck!
    John
    Monday, December 28, 2009 2:30 AM