none
Windows 7 - MBR Error 3

Question

• When i start Windows 7 Home Premium, I got MBR Error 3. Then Win 7 starts and work very fine.
    I have 2 questions:
    What means MBR Error 3 and
    how can I repair it

Thanks for helping
    Gerhard
    Saturday, January 09, 2010 12:43 PM

Answers

• Hi,

I suspect you have Acronis and perfect disk installed. For more information, please refer to Acronis forum:

http://forum.acronis.com/forum/5080

You can also contact its Support for direct assistance.

Hope this helps

Vivian Xing - MSFT
    • Marked as answer by Vivian Xing Friday, January 15, 2010 8:08 AM
    Tuesday, January 12, 2010 3:46 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Following procedure can remove the error message successfully.
    Start with Win7 cd. Repair Computer > Recovery Option > Command Prompt > run both to remove the error message.

Bootrec.exe /FixMbr
    Bootrec.exe /FixBoot

The error message is because some minor corruption in boot sector, may be because of some 3rd party software used for disc related things at anytime.
    Regards from www.windowsadmin.info
    • Proposed as answer by Zhila.hkm Wednesday, August 17, 2011 4:10 PM
    Saturday, January 09, 2010 3:18 PM
  • Hi,

I suspect you have Acronis and perfect disk installed. For more information, please refer to Acronis forum:

http://forum.acronis.com/forum/5080

You can also contact its Support for direct assistance.

Hope this helps

Vivian Xing - MSFT
    • Marked as answer by Vivian Xing Friday, January 15, 2010 8:08 AM
    Tuesday, January 12, 2010 3:46 AM
  • When i start Windows 7 Home Premium, I got MBR Error 3. Then Win 7 starts and work very fine.
    I have 2 questions:
    What means MBR Error 3 and
    how can I repair it

Thanks for helping
    Gerhard

I was having the same error and can confirm it was related to Acronis True Image Home 2011 - although the "MBR Error 3" did not show until after I had enabled Bitlocker(with the USB key option) on my 7 ultimate x64 gateway laptop. Turning off the Acronis startup manager (F11) option at boot corrected the error. The fixmbr/fixboot command may fix it, but I confirmed that i can still boot into acronis recovery using the startup cd i created so at this point i see no reason to mess with the boot record.

and b/c someone always states the obvious, my windows and acronis is fully updated.....

So to make it simple for anyone else that has this error, 1st try to disable the "Acronis Startup Recovery Manager" within "Tools and Utilities" of Acronis 2011 and reboot and see if your error is fixed (gone) - if not then move on to the fixing the MBR (master boot record) as stated in this article.

Also while researching this issue I found other articles that may indicate the issue may return after a short time (every few days) when 7 does it's idle time auto clean up/defrag.... see the following article if this is a recurring issue for you....further action may need to be taken...I will try and report back here if the further action is needed on my machine....Good Luck!

http://aspiregemstone.blogspot.com/2009/10/windows-7-boot-optimization-error.html

GO TEAM VENTURE!!!
    • Proposed as answer by Venture Bros Monday, July 04, 2011 7:27 AM
    Monday, July 04, 2011 7:26 AM
  • Hi,

Following procedure can remove the error message successfully.
    Start with Win7 cd. Repair Computer > Recovery Option > Command Prompt > run both to remove the error message.

Bootrec.exe /FixMbr
    Bootrec.exe /FixBoot

The error message is because some minor corruption in boot sector, may be because of some 3rd party software used for disc related things at anytime.
    Regards from www.windowsadmin.info
    The true key of this problem is this.Thanks alot.
    Wednesday, August 17, 2011 4:11 PM
  • Hello all,

I have Acronis True Image Home 2012.

After I cloned the new 2TB sata from my old 1TB sata, I received the same message.

All I had to do was open ATIH, go to Protection tools, Click on Acronis Startup Recovery Manager

which opened a window asking me if I wanted to activate the F11 option, so I activated it.

Rebooted & no more MBR Error: 3 message :).

hope this will help, seems a lot easier to me then the repair/recovery options mentioned above.

ps....if the F11 option is already activated & you click on it, then it will ask if you want to deactivate it,

in which case you may have to do the repair recovery option.

• Edited by oldone Friday, September 23, 2011 10:20 PM forgot some info that needed to be put in. Sorry
    Friday, September 23, 2011 10:16 PM
  • Thank you very much!
    Friday, March 21, 2014 3:18 AM